Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2011 1:27 PM
Sep 2009
Loved it.
Guy looks more like 40+, but whatever.
Jul 7, 2011 1:27 PM

Aug 2010
A very good first episode.. i havent read the manga yet but i get the urge to do it... Rin was very cute :)
Hey,Nana, do you remember our first encounter?

nee 、 nana ha 、 watashi tachi no saisho no deai oboe te?

ちょっと、ナナ、最初の出会いを覚えてますか?
Jul 7, 2011 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
Very well done! I'll be looking forward to this. =)
P.S. It's already the first episode and I already do not like Reina!!!
Jul 7, 2011 1:37 PM

Aug 2010
I can't believe how good this was! i find it very touching and warm, definitively something i will like :)

Rin is so kawaii :3
Jul 7, 2011 1:39 PM

Nov 2009
Almost perfect, good replacement to Ano Hana.

Jul 7, 2011 1:39 PM

Aug 2009
Germany 12 points

anime of the season!
Jul 7, 2011 1:52 PM

Oct 2008
very touching.
I like the art work it matches the series very well.

Jul 7, 2011 1:57 PM

Aug 2009
WOW!!!! What a nice show!!!!
Might be one of the best this season! *o*

I love this refreshing/relaxed feeling we have..

Rin is just too cute!

I would have SMACKED that girl Reina.. x_x

I was about to cry in the scene where they were putting flowers in the coffin...T_T
Jul 7, 2011 2:02 PM

Apr 2010
Reina was too bratty, taking credit for the cat's cradle that Rin made.. >_<

Rin is so sweet, and I love how Daikichi stood up for her against his whole family. After all, it's not her fault her father/Daikichi's grandfather was a scumbag now is it?

If you don't remember something, it never happened. If you aren't remembered, you never existed. <3
Jul 7, 2011 2:04 PM

Sep 2008
Pepelina said:
Are there any manga readers here? I would like to know how many chapters were covered within this episode. Thanks in advance to anyone who will bother to answer my question.
Just the first chapter and the little scene after the credits were the first few pages of the second chapter.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2011 2:08 PM

Jul 2010
jpem said:
Look forward to more of this. Hope MAL is wrong with the 11 episodes thing. otherwise i'll have to pick up the manga.
I doubt it's wrong. NoitanimA almost always does 11 episode anime. Since the manga is completed you could always pick that up afterwards.

Wow, this was so perfect. Ikoku Meiro was my favorite summer anime before this one just beat it, and for almost all the same reasons as well. I can't wait for the rest of this.
Jul 7, 2011 2:15 PM

Nov 2009
Preety intersting anime. Finally something worth watching in this terrible summer season.
Jul 7, 2011 2:20 PM
Dec 2007
With this kind of pacing, we're not close to see big Rin this season (seeing the manga it's adapted from, I highly doubt there'll be a second season though - it's typically the kind of anime that will not be popular enough to get a second season). The art is very strange - well, faithful the manga - and the direction really improved the introduction of Rin & Daikichi's story. It fits really well into the noitaminA slot too, but it will have an incredibly hard time reaching the level of Ano Hi Mita Hana and C (pretty impossible unless the adaptation is at least one or two levels above the manga).

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 7, 2011 2:29 PM

Nov 2008
That was really nice to watch. Dai was seriously nice though to take Rin in, and Rin is really cute too.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jul 7, 2011 2:34 PM

Mar 2008
Wow... this blow me away. The relaxed mood was perfect, much better than the action based series we had. I also had some tears in my eyes at the coffin scene... that was just.. to adorable :<..

Plus Rin and Dai are epic..

Not going to spoil this for me by reading the manga, when there done with this I will start reading the manga =).
Jul 7, 2011 3:02 PM

Aug 2010
picked up! This anime may be even better than I expected it to be.
Also, when Rin looked so sad, I just wanted to grab her and hug her til she pops.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Jul 7, 2011 3:06 PM

Feb 2010
Oh God.

I don't think I've HNNNGGDD so much in my life. I can't wait for the next episode! The animation, the music, everything is just wonderful.

LOVE.

<3
Jul 7, 2011 3:08 PM

Nov 2007
I have lost count of how many times I have already listened to this!

The lyric is so lovely. And props to [Horriblesubs]' CR release!
This makes the 4 out of 4 releases from CR this season that get my approval for being great adaptations while translating anime based in Japan.

Eastern naming order. +1
Japanese Terminologies. +1
Honorifics. +1
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 7, 2011 3:08 PM

May 2010
Good start. Art was fantastic...

Daikichi facial expressions are epic.

ManInBlack said:
Was anyone else wishing that little brat Reina was in the coffin with the grandpa?

Totally.
Jul 7, 2011 3:11 PM

Jun 2011
Love it so far, it's cute and heartfelt. The animation is different and something most won't like, but I thought it was refreshing and fit perfectly.

Reina needs a spanking real bad, Dai's sister and mom need some smacks. Rin was cute and Daikichi was a hero.
Jul 7, 2011 3:12 PM

Oct 2009
By far, this is a very heartwarming episode and very promising for the season. It's unfortunate it will only be 11 episodes long but it's noitaminA and we can expect a lot.

Rin is adorable in this episode.

I think we can all agree that Reina should be smacked.

Jul 7, 2011 3:15 PM

Feb 2011
Wow, that was a great episode. The little girls were funny and adorable. This is going to be a great series.
Jul 7, 2011 3:21 PM

Jun 2009
Very nice flow in it, love the art it fits and really lovely. I think this gonna be one of the best shows this season :)

5/5

Jul 7, 2011 3:32 PM

Oct 2010
tsubasalover said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty refreshing anime, a nice change from C, which was aired last season in this slot.

^agreed.
nice introduction i think i will enjoy this series!
unusual voice acting, i like!
Cooperation-sanJul 7, 2011 3:36 PM
Jul 7, 2011 3:40 PM

Aug 2010
Great episode, I didn't expect this at all.

Jul 7, 2011 3:40 PM

Nov 2007
From what I read there are a lot of material to cover from the manga and 11 episodes might not be enough to cover it all. The same noitaminA timeslot will be taken by either UN-GO or Guilty Crown both of which will air this fall. Which means the anime is certain to have 11 episodes.

The only two noitaminA anime that had sequels are Honey and Clover and Nodame Cantabile. And both were from J.C. Staff. Since this is from Production I.G. I am not sure. :/

However Production I.G.'s Higashi no Eden did had a couple of movies to round things up. I know it's way too early to say this, but I hope they will make a sequel to Usagi Drop.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 7, 2011 4:05 PM

Nov 2007
yeah Reina was annoying little brat. seriously though shouldn't it be impossible for that 79 year old man to have a kid? really hoping there's an explanation if I watch anymore. the op/ed were annoying but I guess fit a show like this.
Jul 7, 2011 4:09 PM

Feb 2010
Manga was so cute!! I love this already!! <3
This was the show I was looking foward to the most of this season
Jul 7, 2011 4:18 PM

Jan 2008
- I love the OP & I like the ED.
- Rin sleeping on Daikichi's hand was cute.
- Haruko needs to control her child better.
- This is great.
Jul 7, 2011 4:27 PM

Aug 2010
So Heartwarming, just about brought a tear to my eye. :')
Jul 7, 2011 4:45 PM

Jan 2010
Is Rin really the illegitimate child of Daikichi's grandpa? Holy Shit, what a player.
Jul 7, 2011 5:13 PM

Apr 2010
I love the art, it's refreshing.
Jul 7, 2011 5:34 PM

May 2008
I loved this a lot, Rin is cute and the OP/ED songs are sweet~ I knew I'm gonna love this~

Sep 2010
A lot of hype for this, but I never payed any attention. Nonetheless, it seems like an interesting set-up.

Feb 2011
YES SOMETHING TO REPLACE ANOHANA!
Jul 7, 2011 5:35 PM

Apr 2010
mystik said:
seriously though shouldn't it be impossible for that 79 year old man to have a kid?

Unlike women, who only have a limited number of eggs, men continue to produce new sperm their entire lives.
Unless you meant "why did he have an affair?", in which case I have no idea.
SalingaJul 7, 2011 5:41 PM
(◕ᴥ◕し)
Hello! Did you know? Barnacles have the largest penis to body size ratio of the animal kingdom.
Jul 7, 2011 5:55 PM

Dec 2010
im glad i wasnt the only one who had man tears. i thought something was wrong with me
HI
Jul 7, 2011 6:35 PM

Nov 2009
This show has a great potential! Hoping this could be better than anohana..,
The soundtrack fits the storyboard pace so well that its been a while i felt this same since clannad after story. I hope this adaptation delivers :)

and speaking about the latter, and for those familiar with that anime...

Jul 7, 2011 6:41 PM

Feb 2010
Loved it ! :D Seriously, i have high expectations too for this one and hope I won't be disappoint ! I don't know but I love all the work the studio put to create an unique atmosphere. The theme is also unique ( hey, an 79 years old Granpa with an illegimate little girl ? We don't here that often...) but it's refreshing :D

Anyway, let's wait for the second epi to see what will happen !

Jul 7, 2011 7:10 PM

Oct 2009
Ahh I've been waiting so long for this, the manga is great.

Right away I notice the colors, so soft. Perfect for this anime. They did a great job keeping the original manga designs intact as well.

The OP is absolutely adorable.

Reina is such a brat haha.

The first ep was actually really sad. Looking forward to the following eps, which will be much happier.

I was surprised to see that the Horriblesubs release has karaoke though...I thought Crunchyroll didn't have the license or something to sub songs?
Jul 7, 2011 7:16 PM

Apr 2009
What a great first episode, when it was over I only craved more. Seriously considering picking up the manga.
Jul 7, 2011 7:18 PM

Dec 2009
I love the art for this episode. It looks very water color-y.
The story is not that bad either. Im expecting good things from this series.
Jul 7, 2011 7:42 PM

May 2011
I got the same "I'm going to love this anime vibe" like I did with Ano Hana last season.

I'm looking forward to how Rin and Daikichi get along together.

Reina is a spoiled pampered princess. Reina stealing Rin's cats cradle and calling it her own was cruddy. I have a feeling their could be conflict in the future with that.

The flower scene brought a tear to my eye. It really showed how much she loved her father and how alone she felt at that moment.

Rin taking a liking to Daikichi was cute. The one Uncle says that Daikichi was the spitting image of his departed grandfather. It could be something that attracted take her to him.

The "discussion" scene was boss. Daikichi was fed up with the talk of foster care. He knew being a single working male was not the ideal situation. But he couldn't take the defeatist tone anymore. He sure looked ballzy when slamed the cup and went outside and asked Rin to live with him. It was even sweeter when Rin ran to him. That brought a tear to my other eye.

All in all two teary eyes and a great start to what i hope will be a strong anime.
Jul 7, 2011 7:44 PM

Jan 2011
THAT WAS FREAKING ADORABLE!!!
Jul 7, 2011 7:56 PM

Mar 2009
I cannot believe I had doubts about this anime. Amazing direction, gorgeous watercolour-esque backgrounds, nicely budgeted animation, and masterfully cued music all packed into one episode. The script was fairly solid, too. I'm going to love the pair; they're totally giving me a Yotsuba/Koiwai vibe, perhaps a bit of Murasaki/Shinkurou too. Damn, I love parental relationships.

This series is going to be stunning, no doubt about it. IG seriously knows how to pick the right material, and IMPROVE on it, not just adapt it. That's what sets them apart from so many other studios.
Jul 7, 2011 8:10 PM

Jun 2008
why is everyone bitching so hard about Reina? I mean yeah she's a brat but she's just a little kid, kids are like that, most kids are pretty much bastards, but they don't mean to be. Don't any of you have younger siblings? (I have two, and a bunch of younger cousins so I'm pretty used to bratty kids, lmao.)
And she's not even the main character, I mean if Rin was like that I could understand the hate...I haven;t read the manga but I don't get the feeling she's going to be of major importance, so what's the big deal? :/
I thought she was pretty funny actually lmao. She's little terror, but funny.

That was way longer than I meant it to be. Aaaanyway. Having being spoiled on the manga, I'm actually glad it's only going to be 11 episodes...but for now AHHH THIS IS SO CUTE.<3 Also the second noitaminA anime in a row to make me tear up on the first episode, jeez. ;_; Hopefully unlike AnoHana I won't be crying every episode at this one XD
Rin makes me want a kid so baaaad. ;_;
Jul 7, 2011 8:11 PM

Mar 2011
This is so adorable! Rin is such a sweetheart! I just wanna take her home with me, but it seems like Dai-chan already did. :)
Jul 7, 2011 8:16 PM

Oct 2010
RealScreamer said:
Good start. Art was fantastic...

Daikichi facial expressions are epic.
Unfortunately it will never be as EPIC as the one in the spoiler
I assume this is why people would most likely hate Reina for. I for one drinking my coffee would definitely spank her in front of her mom.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 7, 2011 8:30 PM

Jun 2010
Wow, that was good. I am betting this to be the best summer 2011 anime for me.. Especially being a slice of life fan.. Such a refreshing feeling to it
Nice and colorful OP and ED
Jul 7, 2011 8:44 PM

Feb 2010
Beautiful episode, I'm going to love this.

I hate you Reina.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 15, 2011

394 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:44 PM

» imagine

removed-user - Apr 3

10 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:40 PM

» Knowing the manga ending ruined how I see this anime as a whole.

go1d1eaf - Oct 26, 2021

37 by gswelcome »»
Apr 8, 3:38 PM

Poll: » Usagi Drop Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Jul 21, 2011

174 by astroreload »»
Dec 27, 2023 10:56 AM

» Live Action

JSeanaY - Aug 18, 2023

14 by imjayhime »»
Aug 24, 2023 7:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.