Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 18, 2013 3:47 PM

Nov 2010
I have most of the manga thanks to my best friend.
At the time, my group of friends [top ten in the grade] sort of went around like we were the Special A group.
We always had tons of fun so it was exciting when this series came out.

I've already watched a couple of episodes in the original voicing, but today, I watched it in Dub.

I'm crazy about Dub as well as Sub, but this one... I haven't... accepted any of the voicing for any of the characters, which is rare. I... am not sure if I can continue this series in English. I'll just stick to the Japanese this time.
Oct 19, 2013 10:47 PM

Jan 2008
I am starting to rewatch this anime I loved it the first time around n i know i am going to love it again but as for the first ep its great
Feb 10, 2014 2:54 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty decent first episode, nothing really too special and i agree the legs do look weird but the characters seem nice and the plot is interesting
4 out of 5 :)
Aug 5, 2014 4:16 PM

May 2014
It's not super special or anything, but the character's faces look pretty nice. It was a bit cheesy, but not droopingly cheesy like some other anime.
Sep 19, 2014 11:06 AM

Jul 2014
an ok first episode. hopefully, this won't be one of those anime where the main couple doesn't get together till like the very last episode.
Sep 21, 2014 5:25 AM

Jul 2009
LusciousLobsters said:
an ok first episode. hopefully, this won't be one of those anime where the main couple doesn't get together till like the very last episode.

Seems like it's gonna be like that, I am in episode 18 and until now nothing hahaha
Oct 14, 2014 5:22 PM
Anti-social One

Mar 2013
Pretty good anime, though the art was totally irking my nerves.
THOSE LEGS HAD ME LIKE.... lol :)
And that extra five points is legit the story of my life. It's not even funny, ...
Dec 12, 2014 4:33 PM

Aug 2013
Man, that show really remind me of Ouran High School Host Club somehow... Which brings me good memories, as it was an amazing show.

It seem that show also suffer of the noodle syndrom... ''Look at this amazing body I builded!''
It seem more like you suffer of malnutrition...

Anyway, I found that it was a funny first episode. It was mostly silly stuff, it sure didn't start with an amazing firework, but it was funny enough to make me forget about the weird concept of the show.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 3, 2015 11:33 PM

Feb 2015
Woah those are skinny legs.

I wanted a change of pace from sports anime so hopefully this will be fun.
Apr 23, 2015 11:58 AM
Apr 2015
that was arguably on of the most disturbing animes i ve watched so far (actually the only disturbing) and im not referring to the creepy long legs thing (which btw is very similar to the character design of the obscure soccer anime "ashite e free kick") but the discrimination and preferential treatment of the elite and especially the way is justified with the phrase "well they worked hard for it" Its not entirely funny in its absurdity and exaggeration as the creator of the manga must have thought.

Well of course i might seem stupid saying this because the word elite is in the tile and that means it qualifies as a Exactly What It Says on the Tin kind of thing but i never expected it to be that morbidly depicted from the first episode. This is really the exact opposite of the social shunning and discrimination thats going on in assassination classroom. The exaggeration there though acts as a subtle approach and criticism of the hardships in japan's demanding education system and competition between and within schools plus we get to see the story from the viewpoint of those incurring the discrimination.

from the very first scene at school where hikari enters the school and every plebeian of the school steps aside for her to pass and bows before her i felt like puking. Actually the condescending manner with which she responded to all the servility of the school commoners (because she isnt like the others she comes from a poor family...) and the pseudo-meekness made it all the more difficult to watch. How is this is hollywood like behaviour supposed to make the central character likeable... oh yeah but i forgot she worked hard for its justified.

Then there is the poor guy who points out how irritating their behaviour is, the way the act like they own the place and questions their authority. This guy then brings up the way the elite 7, the school's royalty looks down on them from their glass castle only to get a stuttering no from Hikari and three elites dressed in a flashy white uniform whose only purpose is to make the elite stand out from the rest... i mean how ironic is that? And not only that then the most unlikable character of the show comes up acting all erasoni threatens the guys, completely looking down on him.

The poor guy's hardships though, who dared to mingle with the royalty dont end there. he is then humiliated beaten pro wrestle style for us to see the elite's exceedingly good skills in every aspect of life.. and he isnt even the one who provoked them Kei went all muai tai on him without any reason. Not even his lackeys look up to this guy they are just afraid of the elite the whole time just like the rest of the school. My point here is why have this kind of character in this kind of anime based on exaggerated elitism just to humiliate him there wasnt even a moral at the end of that for example the guy admitting his mistake and vouching not to cheat.. he is the bad guy a chance for the creator to show his life motto "effort accomplishes anything"

I ve never seen an anime with such an exaggerated disturbing premise and not using this exaggeration to parody a genre, deconsturct something like animes taking place in high profile japanese schools or even criticise the competitiveness in school .. No the anime just sticks to the exaggeration only preaching about the importance of effort to become the best and this single phrase justifies the characters actions all through the first episode "i worked for it i deserve it" what about someone who worked from being bad to being mediocre? what kind of perverse way of thinking is that.

Im not even gonna bother watching a 2d episode of an anime with such an off putting premise i ll only watch if one of the less competent students of the school goes on a killing spree against the elite (yeah killing even the laid back bishounen guy with the sloth) that would be less disturbing for me.
peropero-nekoApr 23, 2015 4:21 PM
Aug 19, 2015 4:35 AM

Jun 2012
Artwork reminds me of Ouran Highschool Host Club, even the plot is Ouran-ish. I wasn't that thrilled but, I'm gonna watch the rest anyway.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Aug 4, 2016 7:01 AM

Apr 2012
Uhh, this anime is way to hard to watch for a loser like me.
Nov 24, 2016 6:01 AM

Oct 2016
I might enjoy this series ..
Jan 11, 2017 2:52 AM

Dec 2008
I really wanted to get into this anime but the character design just threw me off...

Why do they all have to look like Slenderman? Seriously... it's just so strange.
Mar 25, 2018 12:22 AM

Sep 2017
Good episode, with introduction to lots of characters.

But getting more than full marks doesn't count, does it?

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Dec 5, 2019 7:44 PM
Apr 2016
I remember trying this years ago - TWICE - didn't manage to get through the first episode, and now I'm back! While most of it felt boring and awkward, I see promise, so I will continue watching. I also really dislike Hikari's voice, it's just very awkward and not cute.
Sep 22, 2022 5:14 PM

Mar 2020
Special A more like not Special at all
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Special A Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Naruleach - Aug 13, 2008

93 by Rahul_101 »»
Apr 24, 11:36 PM

Poll: » Special A Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BrokenTrinkets - Jun 23, 2008

57 by RioAl »»
Apr 24, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Special A Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Apr 24, 2008

69 by JeremiahOrange »»
Oct 5, 2022 8:24 AM

Poll: » Special A Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Apr 30, 2008

68 by RyyanIsHere »»
Sep 5, 2022 12:50 AM

Poll: » Special A Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Naruleach - Aug 4, 2008

63 by secondshelp »»
Apr 27, 2022 6:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.