Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Nov 23, 2015 7:51 PM

Dec 2013
The last 3 episodes got really exciting. Love the ending tho. Hoping for their romance to develop kkkk. Will surely watch the second season.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Dec 19, 2015 5:52 PM

Aug 2014
Nice finale , even though it is not something that great but at least it was not bad or disappointing .

Animation : 6/10 - Average Animation
Art : 8/10 - Good
Sound : 9/10 - loved the sound in this anime I liked how much natural sounds were added ( weird :P ) , Great voice acting , good OST .
Story : 8/10 - very nice story
Characters : 8/10 - Holo is amazing , one of my favorite characters of all anime , Lawrence is a good character too , Nora also good , the rest of the side characters felt real and they were all acceptable .
Value : 7/10
Enjoyment : 7/10 - enjoyed every scene with Holo.

I'll add 2 points as a bonus for the chill settings ( liked them ) in the first episodes .

Overall : 7.8/10

Very Good Romantic Historical Drama .
Jan 3, 2016 5:09 PM
Jan 2016
Great anime! Great episode!!
Mar 11, 2016 5:44 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
At first, I didnt get what was soo good about this series, I tried reading the LN first, and eventually got distracted by other stuff, the anime just like the LN was slow at first, but it builts up into you, and when it does, it sticks there. Everything helps, the soundtrack is charming and manages to add deep to the scenes, the art is great, the story while simple, just like the setting, it is engrossing, and Holo and Lawrence bickering is so funny and refreshing to see.
Also the OP is a beast of its own, the music is just amazing, it told so much to me, with was a great pick and definitly sets the mood for the more serious stuff that happens, and the ED is also charming and cute in its own way.
9/10
Mar 14, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2012
Lawrence, literally saved by the bell.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 24, 2016 5:54 PM

May 2013
After so long, I finally got around to watching this anime. Such a comfy watch. I liked the chemistry between Lawrence and Holo, I found it very entertaining to watch. Holo ez best character, dialogue was very funny as well. Looking forward to watching season 2 sometime in the future. :)
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Apr 26, 2016 7:32 PM

Jan 2015
A very lovely anime. I really enjoyed their conversations and romance. I learned a lot about economics too. I will miss this show and will definitely be coming back to it. :D

8/10
Jun 11, 2016 11:17 PM
Jul 2015
Eh... This was ok. So much economics felt tedious tho. 6/10
Jul 27, 2016 10:02 PM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. It was bit slow at first but that didn't bother me at all. The thing I love most about this series is the interactions between Lawrence and Holo. They're just so cute together <3 Kinda sad we didn't get a kiss at the end but I know they'll get together later on.

Looking forward to starting the second season. I also need to order the rest of the light novel so that I can finish the story. I've had volume 1 on my shelf for awhile now, just never got round to reading it. Can't wait to get the rest of the novels so that I can binge read them all.
Sep 8, 2016 2:26 AM

Oct 2012
"Your name is shorter"
Seriously?
Both are have 4 letters, Horo & Nora.. Though saying Horo fast is easier than Nora

Well no one die, I guess it's okay for ending? xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 14, 2016 4:39 AM

May 2009
Since people have been recommending this anime to me a lot I felt like giving it a try.. However... It turned out more boring than I imagined.
I'm not saying it's entirely bad, it's just that I didn't really like the story and got a bit bored with it. I expected quite a lot since the rating is quite high and people around me got excited when I talked about Spice and Wolf.

It might just be me not getting the story or something.. but the anime felt a bit dull to me. I guess the whole "wolves attacking" thing was cool.. but I guess I was just expecting more of the story.

5/10
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Nov 15, 2016 11:03 AM

Nov 2011
Decent, a lot of things went over my head so just didn't enjoy it as much, really liked Holo, Lawrence was kinda of a dud but he's getting there, will watch s2. 6.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 26, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2015
What a great final episode! I'm relieved things weren't too stressful for the happy couple haha I love seeing them interact.
Dec 30, 2016 2:24 PM

Dec 2013
Haha, I love how Lawrence teased Horo at the end :D
And Horo is so damn cute, especially when she's angry.
Dec 31, 2016 3:03 PM

Feb 2015
I'm so fucking glad that the dog didn't die there. I seriously would have dropped the series right there and then if Holo had killed him.

Anyway, yeah, I really enjoyed this anime. Had kept this off for a long time because I couldn't find much reason to start watching it other than knowing it's considered a masterpiece by many, but I'm glad that I did decide to check it out. 8/10
Mar 3, 2017 8:27 AM

Aug 2014
Lawrence is such a troll lmao, and Holo is as adorable as ever :P This show surely had a slow start, but it was damn interesting from start to end, even thought the whole trading thing could get rather confusing at times and requires some rewatches for me <-< 8/10!
Apr 1, 2017 10:32 AM

Aug 2013
I haven't watched such a good show in a while.
9/10
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Jun 8, 2017 10:31 PM

May 2014
A very nice series, it's nice to have a change of pace with a mature, adult cast and a plot that is believable and relatable instead of over-emphasized drama. It was incredibly satisfying to see Lawrence comfortable with Holo in her true form and not afraid.

Honestly, most of the business stuff (especially in the first two thirds) went way over my head. The whole "this company playing this company to manipulate this currency to benefit this company" was beyond me. I'll have to see if there's a blog or something that puts it all into Layman's terms.

Solid 8/10, looking forward to starting season 2.
Aug 4, 2017 3:29 PM

Jan 2014
I guess them making it to Yoitz will be covered in season 2 then.
Aug 25, 2017 12:40 AM

Oct 2015
This was my first watching a female wolf and i say i am impressed by her. I love wolves so much and prefer them than vamps (hence game of thrones Starks). Holo and Kraft make great companions and hope to see them in season 2.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 25, 2017 1:56 AM

Sep 2016
Sakinho said:
It's over! Nuuuuuuuuuuuu! >_<

The ending was nice, but not superb. Still, I think everything managed to end up nicely, there weren't any blatant loose ends hanging around. I think it's funny that Horo used to do all the teasing, now Lawrence managed to learn and tease her too, but the one who got teased the most with the ending was me! I was SO SURE they would kiss when she asked for some air ^^ Oh well, can't say I didn't like it that way though =p

This was a great series for me. I started out just a little curious, so I left it on my plan to watch list so I could see it after it aired. When the sixth episode came out, however, I couldn't hold myself and started to watch. It didn't take much after that for me to become hopelessly addicted =p Loved the main characters, especially Horo, who I simply adored in a way I can't describe ^_^ The story was great, very unique, and had it's share of comedy, action, romance and drama. The animation and music were excellent. I don't think I can complain about any aspect of it ^^

I'll certainly give it a 10/10, and I think I'll also renormalise my scores a little, so Ookami to Koushinryou can have a higher place in my list. Yeah, I liked it THAT much =p

Eagerly waiting until May, and desperately hoping for news confirming a second season.
very well said i agree as well to everything spice and wolf holds a dear place in my heart
Facta Non Verba
Sep 26, 2017 12:49 PM

Nov 2016
This was really enjoyable. Loved the interactions between Holo and Lawrence. I didn't get a lot of the economic talk and it dragged a little because of it but it was so damn relaxing and had a beautiful soundtrack to boot. 8/10
Dec 6, 2017 7:13 AM

May 2015
Meh, this show wasn't for me. Too much economy and Lawrence was annoying as fuck. Not interested in second season for sure.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 22, 2017 2:24 PM
Apr 2014
Lovely end. Just as I was hoping. Everything went ok and the important characters survived. Lawrence was playing a dangerous game at the end though :P
Feb 1, 2018 8:49 AM

Oct 2017
I had heard this show mentioned many times by various Anime-Youtubers for a while but my list of PTW shows is só long.... it took me a while to get to this one.
In the end I'm glad I picked it up eventually, even though I'm not all too invested in the frequent "economics lessons" the story and the interactions between Holo and Lawrence were so thoroughly enjoyable I binged this through the night.
There is definitely something brewing between them, her feelings for him appearing the most noticable, question remains whether her feelings don't just stem from the fact she's been so very lonely for ages and she simply craves his attention.
Lawrence is obviously slowly falling for her, but as a travelling merchant, having been a loner for years, comes across as hesitant to give in to those feelings.

I'm overall not deeply into Kemonomimi characters but found Holo to be strangely intriguing and charming for some reason... ;)
I found the ending unfinished of course but even so, I could have lived with that.... Very happy with the fact there is a second season to this though and even still a slight chance of a third season?
I give it a 8/10 score.
Misuta-KitsuneFeb 1, 2018 8:56 AM
Feb 9, 2019 2:30 PM

Nov 2016
What a joyful ride this was so far. Spice and Wolf was easily able to captivate me with it's well crafted story.

The characters alone had me already sold, but the business plot and the complications and drama that came along with it made this even more engaging.

Up to the second season I guess xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 3, 2019 6:58 AM

Mar 2017
It was a nice episode the ending was nice
but i never understood how she handled the job with the wolves without fight anyone who can explain????
Mar 6, 2019 12:24 AM

Aug 2017
It was all right. I stopped keeping track of the merchant schemes. Also feels like half of the characters were swindlers and scoundrels.

So in the end Lawrence is always getting captured and Holo bails him out.
Mar 13, 2019 7:06 AM

Mar 2019
Nice series, good to have older characters as the mains. The banter between Holo and Lawrence was great, probably the best part of this series I reckon. The OP kept growing on me and the story was alright.
Apr 14, 2019 6:48 AM

Aug 2018
I enjoyed it, both main characters are entertaining and have decent banter going on. I love how Holo is flirty but also very witty and smart. Also I must say the opening song is amazing and the animation/art for a show over a decade old is impressive. It's still considered good even by today's standards.

Well then onto the second season and then I can join the rest of the fans in the never ending wait for a third season.
<Insert clever quote>
Jul 3, 2019 10:47 PM

May 2016
Great show great characters, had a lot of fun watching Holo teasing Lawrence.

8/10
Jul 5, 2019 1:41 PM

Sep 2012
when shepard wished the2 happiness pricless reaction 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Jul 5, 2019 1:45 PM

Sep 2012
Cambeezee said:
It was a nice episode the ending was nice
but i never understood how she handled the job with the wolves without fight anyone who can explain????

she mentioned in the talk with him that she bend the knee to the wolf, i guess its hes ego or leadership thing like to shiw she is not there to chalange hes leadership

Sep 23, 2019 9:39 AM

Jun 2013
Man, I put this show off too long, but I'm glad I watched it when I did, this time of my life was definitely more suitable! And that bell scene was most excellent, lol. I enjoyed it immensely and highly recommend it, 10 out of 10!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Oct 3, 2019 3:02 AM

Apr 2013
So in the end Lawrence continued to behave like a true MC, even saving horrible people who tried to kill you for money. Meh.

Expected more of this show given all the hype about Holo. It wasn't nearly as smart as I thought and Holo wasn't that likable either. I barely managed to stay somewhat interested. 5/10
Dec 4, 2019 1:59 PM
Apr 2016
I would be lying if I said I enjoyed this show as much as I did because of someone or something besides Holo, Holo was the reason I enjoyed this show! She's awesome and I love her.
Dec 26, 2019 11:31 AM

Sep 2019
You can't judge an anime by it's appearance and "spice and Wolf" proofs it right. I mean what an anime. I haven't had expected it would be this much of a good anime. I hella enjoyed it and exited for the second season as well. 8/10
Mar 30, 2020 2:20 PM

Nov 2019
7.5/10 season
the mcs pretty lame Holo deserves better
Apr 12, 2020 7:44 AM

Apr 2018
Overall, 8/10 I enjoy this show and all the business talk and smuggling stuff was intense and interesting but the best part about this show is definitely the interactions between Holo and Lawrence
Holo is one of the best female leads I have seen in anime
Now Off to S2
Jun 4, 2020 9:13 AM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
This show was good. I enjoyed it. But I can't say much more than that. So for me personally, it's a 7/10.

It is one of those shows though that I can totally understand why people love it. Although, I suspect that it's mostly because of Holo. I'm not that way inclined so while I really liked Holo, she's never going to be waifu bait for me. Lawrence was kinda cute but I thought he was a bit too much of a stick in the mud to be one of the best boys.

I'll watch season two though. I've heard it focuses more on the romance, which I think I'll prefer. That was probably the best part about this show - seeing Holo and Lawrence's interactions.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Aug 26, 2020 6:51 AM

Apr 2020
Well, it was good,like really good at least for me.

The episode itself was one of the best in these series, though the drama itself was a bit lacking, no sure if it really is a problem though. And the ending... it's jus not fair OK? Showing all secondary characters in the ending is one of my weaknesses.

The show itself was quiet nostalgic and relaxing. There were these moments when the atmosphere got all tense and stuff, but they were a rare thing. Overall, I have only pleasant feeling after watching the series.
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Sep 14, 2020 4:50 AM
Feb 2020
👍not bad not Bad At All
Oct 4, 2020 2:08 AM

Jun 2020
really charming to watch, and relaxing as well. i've been watching this at night after a long day of work, before i go to bed & it really relaxes me, so glad there's a season 2.

the MCs really carried the show, their interactions were great♡♡ i must say it can get quite dialogue-heavy/confusing if you don't really follow all their economics/jargon, but it was still captivating to watch & interesting to find out about, the narrative and drama all tied in nicely & i really enjoyed it♡

8/10 for me♡

p.s i loved the OP!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Nov 11, 2020 4:03 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Came for the top tier waifu, stayed for the trading, bartering, monetary exchange, and economics lessons. Hell yeah.

ANYWAY decent show, quite the change in both pace and art style from the norm. A lot of the negotiations and stuff went over my head, guess I chose the wrong anime to watch after some intense studying. Probably would enjoy much more during a rewatch with a more focused mind. But for now I’ll just call it decent and give it a 6 out of 10 apples. Also the OP slaps. That’s my jam, fam.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Jan 17, 2021 3:39 PM

Feb 2020
Welp, this is over. And I won't lie, I'm a bit disappointed. I started watching this show a long time ago, when I only completed two shows, I didn't know anything about it and liked it but due to having other shows on my watching list, I put it on hold and ultimately forgot about it, until I came here. That's when I found out this show is a very beloved one, so beloved it is even considered a classic.
After reading some reviews on this website but also on others, I decided to get back to it expecting something at least great.

Now I wonder, where is the masterpiece ? Where is this wonderful show that is so good no one can criticize it ? I didn't see it. I didn't see it, and it is really bothering me.

Don't get me wrong, it was good and I enjoyed it. But, and I'll admit it might be me who is stupid, I'm still wondering where is this wonderful perfection.

First of all, one of the things I dislike the most in a show is for it to have only one or two actually good characters, while the rest of the cast is full of absolutely bland and/or archetypal characters deprived of depth. And here this is what I got. Holo and Lawrence are indeed good characters, but the others are very bland and stereotypical, except maybe Nora who is quite interesting but unfortunately underdeveloped. This alone is already enough to make me think that this show is flawed. But it's not just that.
Holo and Lawrence themselves are good, even very good in Holo's case, but not good enough.
Lawrence is pretty interesting, he is endearing and I liked to see his struggles as a merchant. But most of the time, I couldn't help but think that he was pretty boring. I wouldn't say bland, but boring. His personality isn't very fleshed out, because we don't know who Lawrence is outside of his job. I know Lawrence the businessman, I wanted to know Lawrence the man. I got to see some glimpses of this person, especially through his relationship with Holo, and it was very nice to see, but I wanted to see more of that, to spend more time with this version of Lawrence, the one who isn't always thinking about making money. I get that this is his job, that it is the whole point, but I would've liked to see him snap out of it from time to time, it would've helped me get more attached to him. I also would've liked to know his backstory, maybe it will be adressed in the next season, I hope so, but as far as this season goes, something is missing.

And now about Holo. This is where the sensitive stuff begins. I know Holo is a very praised character among anime fans, which is something I can understand. But just like for Lawrence, I feel like Holo is missing something.
I always found her character to be an interesting one. An old wolf goddess, wise yet playful, who suffers from having been forgotten without always showing it out of pride, now that's quite a great concept. I didn't like her all that much at first but I was intrigued, and after episode 4, she really grew on me and I started thinking that she would make it to my favorites by the end of the show. Each time I started a new episode, I hoped that it would have that one scene that would make me love her. Then I reached episode 13 and I wondered what exactly did I fail to see in Holo. But after a bit of thinking, I don't think I failed to see anything. I just raised my expectations too high. Holo is a very good character, that's for sure, and her personality is an appealing one, but I really wanted to see more. She spent way too much time completely silent, way too much time without doing anything, she even spent way too much time behaving like a rebellious teen instead of the wise goddess she is supposed to be. I am not even certain she is anywhere near as wise as she is said to be. Actually she isn't, a lot of her behaviour proves that. Not only that, but the many moments when she didn't do anything really didn't play in her favour. This screentime could have been used for development, but instead we just got shot of her looking angry, or smiling, or just without any kind of expression worth pointing out. I say that as someone who generally loves to see characters being sometimes silent, to see how their body language and facial expressions speak for them, how the little details such as rubbing hands speak more than actual words. But Holo's moment of silence most of the time didn't add much to her character. And when she actually got development, she was always reverting back to her playful, smug, and let's be honest, impulsive self. I wouldn't have mind it if it was adressed. If her vulnerability was put in a bigger light. But it never truly happened. And in the end, we barely see her outside of her interactions with Lawrence and that's a real shame, because it would have been very interesting to see her alone with people who aren't the one she got attached to. Just to explore more in depth her darker but also more fragile side. Not to mention she is clearly dependent when it comes to Lawrence, it isn't just attachment, and I wished this was adressed, just like I wished the fact that Lawrence isn't the first nor the last to encounter Holo's path was adressed.

I could also talk about how I got completely lost with all that economics stuff, but it is my fault, not the show's so well, I can't blame it for that.
I still give this show a 6 which is a good (but not great) score for me, and I will watch the second season, maybe it'll be better.
FafetteJan 17, 2021 3:49 PM
Jan 23, 2021 2:21 PM

Jul 2017
A tad rushed but doesn't really affect the quality and intensity of the episode nonetheless. It was a really good one to close an overall, really enjoyable first season despite the slow start and a little time adjusting to the visuals a bit. Glad to see Lawrence get his revenge tenfold on the Lemerio Company that tried to fuck him out of his earnings, and Holo rushing in with Lawrence on her back as a wolf as she laid waste to the Company who dared to hurt and betray Lawrence was awesome. He is good-natured enough to allow them to use the smuggled gold to save their company from bankruptcy but to get 500 Luminoe gold coins over the next 10 years sounds like a solid deal, especially considering his life as a merchant was at risk just prior.

Can't wait to start season 2 of this show tomorrow, the first season overall I'd give an 8/10 now. Slightly decrease from when I originally saw this season, but still it was a fun experience nonetheless with some great economical aspects and two charismatic leads to carry the load of the show.
Feb 6, 2021 8:30 PM

Apr 2019
I don't know if I'm just stupid or if it's because I was really tired while binging this but I couldn't even understand half the stuff going on. Nonetheless an enjoyable anime, 7/10, Love holo.

Mar 8, 2021 3:48 AM

Feb 2019
Great episode, and a great series!

The trade talk was a little confusing at times since I'm not much good at trade or business.

Can anybody explain why exactly Lawrence needed to make up that story about 600 lumione's worth of gold to Nora? Why couldn't he simply say the truth?

Besides that, that was a great episode. And I love their relationship, just wish there had been more progress on that front! But a nice final message from Nora, お幸せに!I certainly hope it reaches that level before the series ends.

A solid 8/10.
Mar 9, 2021 5:48 PM

Jul 2020
WISEWOLF! WISEWOLF! WISEWOLF! WISEWOLF! WISEWOLF!
Mar 28, 2021 4:29 PM

Jul 2020
Started a new Holo club to see if we can get a new and active club dedicated to our WiseWolf going again

If y'all are interested; https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=81516
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Gwertzman - Feb 6, 2008

131 by 0451 »»
May 1, 5:26 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

shadowraze - Jan 30, 2008

150 by 0451 »»
May 1, 2:59 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Voltlighter - Jan 23, 2008

144 by 0451 »»
May 1, 2:10 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

32 by 0451 »»
Apr 30, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

147 by 0451 »»
Apr 30, 9:12 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.