Forum Settings
Forums

Animes you didn't expect to become your favorite until given a chance?

New
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]
Jan 16, 2017 11:03 PM

Oct 2015
Storm-Sage said:
I at times come across an anime I had never heard of and deliberately avoided because I didn't think I would enjoy until I finally gave it a chance.
Some of my all time favorites were anime I had once dropped but kept hearing so many good things about it I eventually forced myself to watch fully.
Many were building up to something that turned the show into far more then it originally appeared.
Or have an ending that gives you a whole new perspective on the entire series.
Examples of all-time personal favorites I discovered like this would be:

• Bakemonogatari- Originally thought was an all girls K-On! type adventure and avoided. I finally heard so much about it I gave it a watch and was hooked on its art and storytelling.

• Katanagatari- Originally dropped because the art style felt off for me and plot seemed slow. It grew on me wanting to watch more and had a satisfying ending that tied everything together.

• Shinsekai yori- Dropped many times for being slow at first. As the show opened up I began being immersed in it more and more with an ending that made me rethink the whole series narrative.

• Kyoukai no Kanata- Had no idea what it was about and heard many people praising but just as many criticizing it. Fell in love with the art and characters with an ending that created a whole new perspective.

• Zetsuen no Tempest- A diamond in the rough I had never heard of. Ended up providing an epic tale I was not expecting.

So what anime did you originally avoid or drop because of a certain reason and then when finally gave it a fair chance became some of your favorite?

i agree zetsuen no tempest is a real gem at first ti didnt want to watch it but as soon as i started it had most awesome story that i got hooked to. It is still my fav anime
Jan 16, 2017 11:09 PM
Oct 2016
Katrix_ said:
Storm-Sage said:
I at times come across an anime I had never heard of and deliberately avoided because I didn't think I would enjoy until I finally gave it a chance.
Some of my all time favorites were anime I had once dropped but kept hearing so many good things about it I eventually forced myself to watch fully.
Many were building up to something that turned the show into far more then it originally appeared.
Or have an ending that gives you a whole new perspective on the entire series.
Examples of all-time personal favorites I discovered like this would be:

• Bakemonogatari- Originally thought was an all girls K-On! type adventure and avoided. I finally heard so much about it I gave it a watch and was hooked on its art and storytelling.

• Katanagatari- Originally dropped because the art style felt off for me and plot seemed slow. It grew on me wanting to watch more and had a satisfying ending that tied everything together.

• Shinsekai yori- Dropped many times for being slow at first. As the show opened up I began being immersed in it more and more with an ending that made me rethink the whole series narrative.

• Kyoukai no Kanata- Had no idea what it was about and heard many people praising but just as many criticizing it. Fell in love with the art and characters with an ending that created a whole new perspective.

• Zetsuen no Tempest- A diamond in the rough I had never heard of. Ended up providing an epic tale I was not expecting.

So what anime did you originally avoid or drop because of a certain reason and then when finally gave it a fair chance became some of your favorite?

i agree zetsuen no tempest is a real gem at first ti didnt want to watch it but as soon as i started it had most awesome story that i got hooked to. It is still my fav anime

W

I dropped Zetsuen like 4 times before i actually decided to power through it and i got real hype after it started heating up and i fell in love with the show afterwards.
Jan 16, 2017 11:55 PM

Dec 2016
I didn't think One Punch Man was going to be interested, but I was definitely wrong. Probably one of my favorite animes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 20, 2017 12:30 PM

Jan 2017
Bleach.

I always avoided it as much as I could cause I thought the art was so ugly. But now it's my favorite, leaviing Attack on Titan and Naruto faaaaaaar behind
Jan 20, 2017 12:48 PM

Oct 2016
Mushishi - I thought its boring and overrated by anime elitists

JoJo - I didn't like the art style, it was kinda weird for the first time I saw it.
Jan 20, 2017 12:53 PM

Aug 2013
Clannad

Back in 2009 a friend of mine kept telling me to watch it. And I was like "meh I don't like dramas".

After some months trying to convince I decided to give it a try. Now I'm a sucker for drama anime =x
Jan 20, 2017 1:08 PM

Jan 2017
I originally dropped Gurren Lagann after about 2 episodes, but this October I came back to it and fell in love with it.
Jan 20, 2017 3:16 PM

Dec 2015
No game no life
I thought I was going to hate ngnl because of the shiro fanservice but I really had a amazing time with NGNL everything was really fun and The art was so good
hi
Jan 20, 2017 3:21 PM

Sep 2014
Definitely have to go with gurren lagann. I'm not a fan of mecha anime but one of my friends kept saying I would enjoy it so after some amount of months I gave in. Since I finished it, it is the only anime that sits head over heels above all other anime I've enjoyed. Still searching for another hot blooded boy becomes man anime that can compare to it.
Jan 20, 2017 3:22 PM

Nov 2016
Yuri on ice
I generally like this Genre but only as a way of relaxing, my favorites tend to be "mindfuck" anime so to speak, but this one just felt so realistic and connected to a world that I love (figure skating) that I couldn't help falling in love with it.
Jan 20, 2017 3:29 PM
Oct 2015
Gintama, fate/Zero, steins gate,Evangelion THE only 2 in my top 5 which i knew i was gonna love was fmab and code Geass
Jan 20, 2017 3:32 PM

Jul 2016
I think it would be Code Geass and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I was avoiding because I didn't liked mecha
Jan 20, 2017 3:41 PM

Jan 2014

• Monster - I watched the first 10-ish episodes, then I kind of stopped watching it. But then Winter break came around.. I ended up finishing the rest of it in a couple days because it was that good. It's easily one of my favorites. It's actually my #1.
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011) - Didn't think much of it at first. My mentality was "How can a Shounen be that good?" And well, yeah.. I was proven wrong on how good a Shounen can be.
  • Planetes - "How can a show about space be that good?" Oh, it gets dark. Very dark.
  • My Teenage Romantic Comedy - There's some really good School anime, but.. honestly, this is the only School-setting anime that really blows my mind. Easily one of my favorites, with my favorite character. Hachiman, yo!
  • Magi - Easily one of my favorite adventure/fantasies. Been waiting on season three for YEARS :l
  • Barakamon - I didn't think much of it, but this one was actually a special treat for everyone when it was airing in Summer 2014. The moments were so genuine. It was well done.
  • Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (Movie) - During the Winter break I had decided to watch an anime film per day (I ended up watching a lot of Ghibli films), and this is easily their best work. The cover for it on MAL isn't appealing.. and the two hour duration of it can seem awful at first glace, but it managed to turn my negativity towards it into something great.
  • Mushishi - Actually, I'm still watching this one BUT I originally started watching it years ago. However, I was sooo bored by it that I dropped it. Now, years later, I find it hard to believe that I actually dropped it.
  • Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu - I watched part of the first episode when it was airing but decided not to go on watching it due to not having time for it. I finished it today, it's actually very good!
  • I'm sure that I am forgetting many others..

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 20, 2017 6:10 PM

May 2014
Hibike Euphonium: At first I thoughg it's going to be another moeblob anime, but damn, that series blown me away. Ot's everything a moe show could be if it's not hindered by it's moe.

Bungou Stray Dogs: The second season only though. The first season is really fun, but the second season is much more exciting to me.

Re Zero: I never though I would ended up hooked on this. At first I thought it to be another overrated anime (cough SAO cough) but I think it really deserve the hype it got.

Haikyuu: It's so much better than Kuroko I swear! For those who think it's another fujobait sports series, think again. It's much more than that.

Jan 20, 2017 6:26 PM

Feb 2010
I used to avoid mecha and Gundam in particular like the plague and now I have 3+ Gundam titles in my favorites.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 20, 2017 8:15 PM

Sep 2012
I'd have to say 3-gatsu no Lion; I skipped over this one upon it's release because I had a lot of trouble getting into it due to the slow pacing of the first few episodes. Posthence I returned to the show and gave it a second chance, where I found the show to be extremely enjoyable and very well written - definitely one of my many favorites and one which I almost didn't give a chance.
Jan 21, 2017 9:19 AM
Restless One

Apr 2016
I dropped Berserk at first because of the dated visuals. Then after I heard some high praise about it, I gave it another chance. I was blown away, especially by the ending.

I knew Madoka was supposed to be good, but I didnt expect to end up watching it 3 times in a row. My head was so full of it, I literally couldn´t watch any other anime for like 2 weeks.

Recently I finished Hai to gensou no Grimgar. Went in expecting mediocrity, but in the end rewatched it immediately.

EDIT: Almost forgot, but I gotta mention Planetarian. That thing hit me in the feels hard. Steins Gate was better than I expected as well, and I expected much. I mean I bought my first visual novel because of it.

I should probably mention Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I don´t remember what I thought of it when I started it, but it sure as hell wasn´t that it would become my favorite anime of all time to such a degree that it might not ever be bested.
HydallanJan 21, 2017 10:27 AM
I witnessed a loli spill from a cartridge and somehow retained my sanity.
Jan 21, 2017 10:34 AM

Jul 2015
My biggest positive surprise in a while has been Shokugeki no Souma. I expected 'bland female characters chasing MC's dick and then getting orgasms from his cooking because the show needs fanservice to sell'. First of all, the female characters were all fun and interesting characters, and even though some of them are crushing on Yukihira it's not like he's the only relevant male character in the show. And Yukihira as an MC is great, not too OP yet still badass enough to entertain. All the fanservice was so ridiculous at times that you could only laugh, and you'd really have to be some sort of puritan to be upset by it. I marathoned both seasons within a week because it was so addicting, and I had to snack all the time while I was watching because the 2D food looked so delicious.

Other series that I enjoyed WAAAY more than I expected were Kingdom and Yosuga no Sora. Kingdom looks outwardly like a steaming pile of horseshit but it turned out to be an epic war strategy anime. And Yosuga no Sora is just something special I can't describe with words. Episode 11 had me laughing like a maniac, although that's probably not the desired reaction lmao.
Jan 21, 2017 7:26 PM

Sep 2016
Vailanor said:
I originally dropped Gurren Lagann after about 2 episodes, but this October I came back to it and fell in love with it.

2fastt said:
Definitely have to go with gurren lagann. I'm not a fan of mecha anime but one of my friends kept saying I would enjoy it so after some amount of months I gave in. Since I finished it, it is the only anime that sits head over heels above all other anime I've enjoyed. Still searching for another hot blooded boy becomes man anime that can compare to it.

SapoEspacial said:
I think it would be Code Geass and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I was avoiding because I didn't liked mecha

Hydallan said:
I should probably mention Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. I don´t remember what I thought of it when I started it, but it sure as hell wasn´t that it would become my favorite anime of all time to such a degree that it might not ever be bested.

Gurren Lagann was the best day of my life.
Ravioli ravioli, Kirito will not touch the loli.
Jan 21, 2017 7:46 PM
Nov 2015
JoJo's Bizarre Adventures. My lesbian ass wanted no part of all that Muscle Man™ shit, but after constant nagging from a friend I finally watched it.....then got caught up in the anime in less than 2 months.

Hunter x Hunter too, I read the synopsis and saw the episode count and thought "fuck no"; I ended up watching it on a sick day because "it was on Netflix so why not?".... 30 episodes later is when I realized I was addicted.
Jan 21, 2017 7:54 PM

Nov 2014
Clannad.... I thought the art was so mediocre and the harem stereotypical stuff.Yes,the clannad was not good.But people say watch clannad for clannad AS.And,Clannad AS was the anime that made me cried.
Where Words Fail, Music Speaks.

-Han Christian Anderson
Jan 21, 2017 8:04 PM
Sep 2016
Baccano, FLCL, Golden Boy, and Mob Psycho 100 all came out of nowhere and surprised with the quality.

I assumed that they would all be good, but certainly not 10/10; This is why I'm not in the stock market
Jan 21, 2017 8:14 PM

Feb 2015
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, not to say I didn't expect it to be enjoyable but I didn't think it would have had any place in my favorites list. The show just kind of resonates with me in its own weird way. Guess that's just more evidence for me to not blindly trust the average scores here.
Jan 22, 2017 8:36 AM

Aug 2016
I hated Toradora. I didn't think I would watch past the first 3 episodes, but it's become one of my favorite anime. It's in my top 10 for sure.
Jan 22, 2017 1:57 PM

Jun 2015
Gankutsuou. At first I thought the art style was a bit nauseating, but it grew on me.
Jan 22, 2017 6:18 PM

Dec 2014
I'm always really picky when starting a new show, that I usually spend a stupid amount of time trying to find the perfect show instead of just watching what looks interesting.

Natsume Yuujinchou - I put this off at first because it didn't seem interesting to me at the time and seemed weird. Turned out to be one of my favorite shows and marathoned it all

Psycho-Pass - Plot didn't really interest me that much, and I wasn't really into that sort of genre at the time, ended up loving it.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - Didn't like it at first glance, watched the first ep and dropped it for a few weeks, went back and tried it again and got hooked.
Jan 22, 2017 6:30 PM

Dec 2016
Hunter x Hunter (the original)....for many years I just thought "how can a show about a boy who goes to explore the world with his friends or something can be that good?"....it wasn't until last year when I randomly gave it the chance that I was proven so wrong.
Jan 22, 2017 7:36 PM

Jul 2016
I'd have to say Kill la Kill. When it first was coming out I thought it looked really ridiculous and back then I didn't watch much action. But after a year or two later and a failed attempt at watching it, I finally sat down and got through the first few episodes and was desperately hooked from there.
Jan 23, 2017 2:39 AM

Aug 2016
I started watcching Shinsekai yori and it looked strange, but people seem to like it so I'll continue.

I'm not one to drop an anime, some of them start to get good towards the end so I'll watch it even if I don't really like it.
Heya, I'm Mystic, the NSFW voice actress & anime girl streamer!
https://twitter.com/MagicalMysticVA
https://discord.gg/uy6vSyH
Jan 23, 2017 3:52 AM

Feb 2015
Ajinn

Turned out to be a 10/10 anime

People don't watch it because off the animation and they are missing out so hard
SEND ME DA FRIEND REQUEST AND COMMENT ON MY PROFILE <33

I LOVE YUKINO YUKINOSHITA, CHITOGE AND YUNO GASAI.. they changed my life.. every night b4 sleeping i think about them and pray that i meet a yukino/chitoge/yuno irl <33
i will stay virgin for them <33 i know they are out there and i will meet them <33 i love u yukino bbb
Jan 23, 2017 3:57 AM

Jan 2016
Fairy Tail

first I thought it is only childish but then I found everything I like action, romance good story and characters
Jan 23, 2017 1:54 PM

Oct 2011
Shinsekai really surprised me and I'm hooked. I've marathoned like 10 episodes today.

When people used to talk about FMAB I never thought it would be that good but it is my favourite anime to date.
Jan 23, 2017 2:56 PM

Feb 2014
Yuri Kuma Arashi was weird and I dropped it after one episode to pick it up a year later and now it's one of my favorites.
Jan 23, 2017 6:31 PM

Feb 2016
Madoka Magica =) Episode 3 all i have to say =).

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Slow start very confusing didn't know there was a special order you had to watch the episodes in the so called chronological order/Broadcast. Broadcast one is definitely the best way to watch it. And after watching it all through i loved the characters the environment/story became one of my favorites Animes <3.

Feb 6, 2017 9:16 PM
Mar 2016
Steins gate: i didnt even finish the first episode at my first try watching it, i thought it was so psychological and complicated but then i just recently gave it a second try and im half through the series and i seriously didnt expect that it turned out to be soooo good
Feb 6, 2017 10:08 PM

Jul 2016
Shiki, I originally expected it to be a shitty "horror" anime like Corpse Party or Another, just mindless gore with no real plot or substance. I was surprised with how good the story and character development is and how good it is at building up tension. It is still the only good horror anime I have seen.
Pages (8) « First ... « 6 7 [8]

More topics from this board

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

42 by KitsuFrost »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu)

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

49 by Entity72 »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

9 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

17 by AMBITZZ »»
4 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

25 by KitsuFrost »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.