Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 12, 2016 6:20 AM

Nov 2010
guntther said:
Noticed this because of the German setting. Early 80s cold war focus on the eastern german part is a very interesting setting.
Probably better for japanese viewers, because they don't have to dig to deep into german culture. Communists tried to replace german traditions with their own.
The vietnamese girl surprised me, because the "Vertragsarbeiter" contract workers from other communist states are a small part of especially east german history.
The defection of the west german girl to the east is explained with the search of a person. None the less she is very idealistic. But it surprises me way more that she is accepted so fast.

Don't know the Muv-Luv Setting, and I hope this isn't necessary. And if it is set in a later year, it may be a huge spoiler.
But I think it's not to difficult to follow. Aliens attack Earth. First landing in Soviet Territory is mentioned. Most of the Warsaw Pact states should be overrun. There seems to be no part of the series covering the timespan before 1983? If so I would watch / read this first.

Pretty much you're correct. I'll add some more details.

1. First contact of Humanity with BETA is at the moon, at the very peak of space race (explained briefly at Total Eclipse, detailed in original VN). It soon evolved into Moon War which were a lost cause, and few years later BETA landed in Soviet territory near Chinese Border iirc.

2. At first, humanity is not exactly losing since Soviets and Chinese could handle it with combined arms. However, suddenly laser class popped up and reversed the flow of battle as humanity lost air superiority. TSF (the mech) is developed as a counter, since it's very versatile at ground battle and extreme low altitude flight which is crucial to counter laser class (Laser class basically is an optical weapon, which could shot anything in the sky but can't shot anything which is low enough due to earth curvature).

3. Europe's current situation: NATO + Warsaw Pact collaborated for joint assault to BETA's hive in East Europe (Somewhere near Ukraine iirc). It failed, and the counterattack pushed humans up to Germany where East German served as the frontline. Poland eastward is basically gone, Soviets are starting to escape to Alaska, and Chinese+Korea are going to be dead soon. Right now NATO + Warsaw Pact is defending furiously at East German, collaborating temporarily.

4. While this is set similarly to our world setting, there are few differences other than the obvious alien threat. One of the main difference is that Japanese weren't nuked by the end of WW2 (thus preserving Shogunate society up till now), and both NATO + Warsaw were advancing more rapidly even before BETA come.

5. There are no series/spinoff taking place before this one. There are other spin offs/short story based in Europe later day, such as in Britain and South Italy, but they take place in 2000ish.

6. Some extra details: The fucked up German title name is acknowledged in the novel, iirc the name was given by non German in the game universe. Did not made the name to be less silly.

Navy in this universe is still very crucial, since they were untouched by BETA (there's no anti naval BETA so far) and very important in blocking BETA from crossing sea/straits. Since this takes place in Germany I don't think we are going to see their roles, though.

Tanks still used alongside infantry and TSF, but they proved to be not agile enough against BETA due to the presence of Destroyer Class BETA (High Speed Ramming BETA which killed the girl in this episode).

Some BETA class are geared to be anti infantry, while some other are anti machinery. Some of them are capable to sense electronics.
Jan 12, 2016 7:14 AM

Aug 2014
more total shit, what a surprise.
InsertanamehereJan 12, 2016 7:18 AM
Jan 12, 2016 7:28 AM

Mar 2014
expect every episode someone will die, "Muv Luv Alternate" logic
Jan 12, 2016 8:08 AM

Jun 2014
pretty disappointed but will continue watching a bit to give it a chance. 15 year olds operating high performance military hardware is a bit hard to look past.
Jan 12, 2016 9:21 AM

Jul 2007
Grunkalunka said:
pretty disappointed but will continue watching a bit to give it a chance. 15 year olds operating high performance military hardware is a bit hard to look past.

They have no alternative to that.Humans are going extinct faster than they grow up. Pilots and overall soldiers have extremely low life expectancy. To add to that, not every person is compatible with being a pilot. Thus using child soldiers, especially in terms of piloting, etc is common in this setting.
AhenshihaelJan 12, 2016 10:07 AM
Jan 12, 2016 9:29 AM

Jul 2014
Do I need to have watched muv-luv alternative :eclipse to watch this?
Jan 12, 2016 9:44 AM

Dec 2013
Not a bad start to the series, though I've always been confused with all the alternate timelines in this title.

And they were totally blatant at teasing a certain character in the post-credits there.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 12, 2016 10:40 AM

Jan 2014
ANGRY2011 said:
Well, it is a start. I'm not familiar with the story of this spinoff, so maybe it will be pretty decent - Total Eclipse left me feeling like I wasn't sure what exactly they decided they wanted to make when it was all said and done, and it certainly didn't give me the joy that Muv Luv should have. Here's to hoping that this one will deliver better.

As for everyone who hasn't read Muv Luv and Alternative: I would really prompt you to do so, and not watch the spin off animes beforehand. I know people probably won't, simply because they don't want to read a VN or invest any time/effort into their entertainment, but you're missing out.

BGMaxie said:
So umm seems you seem to be the most experienced of all people here regarding Muv Luv, can I ask:

1) What is or are the main series about.

2) What's the idea or differences between Total Eclipse and Alternative.

3) Where is THIS series placed at.

4) If possible a brief description of each.

Onegaishimasu.

I'm not Fai, and I'm guessing he's more knowledgeable than me, but I've read Muv Luv and Alternative as well as watched Total Eclipse, so I can give you my trimmed-from-spoilers version, if you wanted.

Fai said:
BGMaxie said:

1) What is or are the main series about.

War, bonds between people, cruelty of life, awfulness of human nature, value of love and the price of making sacrifices.

The main series consist of two games, Muv Luv and Muv Luv Alternative. The first game is separated into two parts Extra and Unlimited - Extra deals with the main characters life and interactions before he gets fully involved in the conflict, while Unlimited deals with the actual war. To say more would be spoiler.

2) What's the idea or differences between Total Eclipse and Alternative.

Total Eclipse is spin off visual novel that follows different cast during the events of Alternative. The anime version is non-canon fuck up while the visual novel is at least partially canon.
It is known to be way lighter and fanservicey than the main franchise and is believed to be the worst part of muv luv franchise.

3) Where is THIS series placed at.

Its a prequel to the events depicted in Alternative, set in 1983, less than a decade after the BETA invasion started. It depicts a series of events that sets in motion certain event in Total Eclipse visual novel.

4) If possible a brief description of each.

Muv Luv is set in after 2000 and focuses on a normal highschool boy who wakes up one morning only to find out a beautiful girl right next to him. The mystery that transpires slowly draws him into a war that has lasted decades already.
Muv Luv Alternative is a sequel to that covers the last years of the war and the sacrifices to be made for betterment of humanity.

So to sum it up. There is Muv-Luv and then Unlimited that first deal with highschool setting and somehow the other is parallel in which they fight "something".

Then there is the Alternative line that composes Schwarzenmarken, Alternative and then Total Eclipse in THAT chronological order, that deals with the BETA invasion.

So basically most of this VN deals with war and a lot of conflict. That it?

And apart from that the adaptation of Alternative is it? Is on popular belief to be awful to watch, but is it needed to watch it?

Did I nail this right?
Jan 12, 2016 11:54 AM
May 2014
I LUV IT

I'm a freaking muv luv fan, what would I except xD
Jan 12, 2016 12:58 PM

May 2012
WhipItGood said:

Judging from the 1st episode, I say you don't need to watch muv-luv. Also, all the characters are new

But I still recommend watching muv-luv because it is good
Jan 12, 2016 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
apocalipseee goreee
boobs are real globes in that uniform
I can smell some romanticism here and there........
Jan 12, 2016 1:51 PM

Nov 2008
This looks good but how gory is it?

I'm ok with blood and corpses....not so okay with seeing guts and other internal organs. lol

Jan 12, 2016 2:19 PM

Sep 2014
WhipItGood said:

Not at all. Most people would also say you probably shouldn't, because it's not particularly good.

Whether this will turn out better than Total Eclipse remains to be seen. I really hope it'll be a good series, but the first episode is best described as "meh" to me. I can easily see this turning into a train wreck, but the visual novel and light novel seem to be have good ratings
so perhaps it will become more engaing. That being said, only 20ish have read them so these ratings aren't exactly reliable by any stretch of the imagination. It's just an indication that this could actually be a good story.

Chiibi said:

I'm ok with blood and corpses....not so okay with seeing guts and other internal organs. lol

The visual novel seems to be much more graphic, so I believe if you can handle something as brutal as this, you should be able to handle the series without much trouble. They'll most likely censor the natiest stuff, so I don't think it'll get worse than the picture below. There are no "guts" in it, but it's as brutal as it gets imo.

This does spoil one of the scenes in the first episode, so it's up to you whether you care about it. I don't think it's a big deal, but I think it's a fair warning. Here's the screenshot, which is obviously nsfw:

FlamepriesTJan 12, 2016 2:30 PM
Jan 12, 2016 2:39 PM

Nov 2008
FlamepriesT said:
WhipItGood said:

Not at all. Most people would also say you probably shouldn't, because it's not particularly good.

Whether this will turn out better than Total Eclipse remains to be seen. I really hope it'll be a good series, but the first episode is best described as "meh" to me. I can easily see this turning into a train wreck, but the visual novel and light novel seem to be have good ratings
so perhaps it will become more engaing. That being said, only 20ish have read them so these ratings aren't exactly reliable by any stretch of the imagination. It's just an indication that this could actually be a good story.

Chiibi said:

The visual novel seems to be much more graphic, so I believe if you can handle something as brutal as this, you should be able to handle the series without much trouble. They'll most likely censor the natiest stuff, so I don't think it'll get worse than the picture below. There are no "guts" in it, but it's as brutal as it gets imo.

This does spoil one of the scenes in the first episode, so it's up to you whether you care about it. I don't think it's a big deal, but I think it's a fair warning. Here's the screenshot, which is obviously nsfw:

That's not too bad. Okay.

Domo arigatou Mr. Roboto :'D

Jan 12, 2016 3:41 PM

Sep 2014
BGMaxie said:
Did I nail this right?

Mostly?

Jan 12, 2016 5:09 PM
Feb 2015
ANGRY2011 said:
BGMaxie said:
Did I nail this right?

Mostly?

Total Eclipse did have some relation to the main story though it's only on the final part. Yuuya joined in Operation Ouka and killed the BETA newly developed trump card the Fort-Laser class to protect the Susanoo.
Jan 12, 2016 5:13 PM

Sep 2014
ixarising said:
SPOILER

Neat. Didn't know that. I'd say the relation is completely unimportant, but cool. Also, spoilers.
Jan 12, 2016 5:16 PM

Nov 2008
Katia looks like Misuzu. XD Hopefully she won't die. :/

Jan 12, 2016 7:42 PM

Oct 2011
BETA 0____0

I hope Theo gets along well with Katia. Even if she looks like his sister
Jan 12, 2016 8:11 PM

Oct 2013
I'm quite interested in this as a whole more so than I was in Total Eclipse from the get-go, altho I felt TE's slower start was a bit better. The cold war atmosphere, besides the BETA war is more interesting than one who's main purpose is to test a new TSF.

Theodor doesn't seem to be a mechaphile like Yuuya, which is a + for me(tell me he isn't) and he prob had the best line this ep "Insane pilots need to stay off the battlefield." I don't care how good or genius that pilot is, if they can't control themselves, they're a threat to their comrades, as seen.
Jan 12, 2016 8:19 PM
Jun 2009
I am surprised that there are people who dont get the setting. After WWII, German is split into East German and West German. The East is controlled by Soviet Russia and the West is controlled by America and Britain. Alien then attack the Earth. Human developed giant robots to fight the alien. That's it. It's extremely simple. Stasi is East German secret police force which no doubt controlled by Soviet Russia. I have never read any Muv-Luv ln at all and still find it extremely easy to get.

Well, our little friend Theodor (minus "e") is a bitch alright but he shouldnt be blamed for that girl's death. Who is crazy enough to allows a PTSD to fight? But it's East German, I guess it's not strange at all. And what's with Katia? I know she's supposed to be UN pilot but god, she's dumb...or she's actually smart and is the spy of UN?

Other than that, this episode is good. Good actions, good animation, good pace, so-so sounds and a little political element is a welcome. The tanks, weapons are historically corrected unlike the atrocious Heavy Object. People, if you want a hot female officer, the purple hair lady in the end of the episode is how you do it, unlike the pole dancing cheap fanservice one in Heavy Object. And Katia is actually in a cell instead of a normal hospital. And the cell has ears. This is how you make anime with military element, guys!

I think people hate this anime is because of the setting. Wow, East German and commie! Insta-hate!

Oh right, the long hair girl who bitch slapped Katia is a commissar. Nice!
soluuloiJan 12, 2016 8:31 PM
Jan 12, 2016 9:16 PM

Mar 2014
Oh yes this is much better than Total Eclipse although I'm having a hard time liking the main guy !
Jan 12, 2016 9:54 PM

May 2014
Bibimbapski said:
Kazuboredlife said:
can i watch this without watching muv-luv ?

Same question.

Should I watch Muv-Luv and Total Eclipse first before watching Schwarzesmarken? I can pretty much catch the drift of the story but it's not really reeling me in as of yet.

@this question and all like it.

There is no Muv-Luv anime. Total Eclipse was the only MLA side story adaptation released prior to Schwarzesmarken.

Seeing TE is optional - though there are some things that TE explains that Schwarzesmarken doesn't. Reading the source VN's is more comprehensive and informative. Again, both are optional.

I personally don't think TE was as bad as some are proclaiming in this thread. Could it have been better? Yes.

It's your call.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Jan 12, 2016 11:03 PM

Aug 2013
A very eventful first episode! Might turn out being just another mecha-drama anime, but we'll just have to wait & see!
Jan 12, 2016 11:14 PM

Jan 2012
the eyelashes are bugging me
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jan 13, 2016 1:36 AM

May 2015
realy good start tho, 1983 with mechas and automatic door, why not?
HiirodaJan 13, 2016 1:49 AM
Jan 13, 2016 1:43 AM

Jun 2011
soluuloi said:
...And what's with Katia? I know she's supposed to be UN pilot but god, she's dumb...or she's actually smart and is the spy of UN? ...

I think she is dumb. She looks like exactly like a typical dumb/annoying character.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2016 4:34 AM

Aug 2014
BGMaxie said:

And apart from that the adaptation of Alternative is it?

there's no such thing
Jan 13, 2016 5:16 AM

Jul 2007
Insertanamehere said:
BGMaxie said:

And apart from that the adaptation of Alternative is it?

there's no such thing

tLDR: THERE'S no adaptation at all.

Total Eclipse anime is a botched "thing" with most of content removed that does not even cover everything

52 episode Muv Luv Extra/Unlimited adaptation by Sunrise when?
Jan 13, 2016 5:50 AM

Mar 2013
Looks like this show will be depressing as hell. Plus, such amount of pretty girls I'm sure it will include fanservice as well. I don't actually care but I hope they focus on battles and plot development rather than other things.

This... Katia girl seems really persistent though. I don't think she has a realistic view on what's going on around her. Deserved bitch slap. Her attitude seems annoying although that may be because she's innocent in spirit. We'll see how she wakes up later on.

Main guy Theodor seems to have lots of personality problems but he seems cool. He looks a whole lot like Lindo from Dance with Devils for some reason... Anyway, I like him. If they can make him grow up as a person and companion later if would be fucking great. Also voiced by Suzumura Kenichi so that's one huge extra point.

Art is nothing special but does good at battling scenes. Also, the german and war setting seems really interesting, as well action shots.

Anyway it was a good start. It began directly with violence and deaths from the beginning so that managed to convince me enough to keep watching and interested.
HeiizeJan 13, 2016 6:18 AM
Jan 13, 2016 9:55 AM

Nov 2015
I really liked the first episode but couldn't keep up with all the characters names lol so many

Jan 13, 2016 10:03 AM

Nov 2008
Seiya0890 said:
soluuloi said:
...And what's with Katia? I know she's supposed to be UN pilot but god, she's dumb...or she's actually smart and is the spy of UN? ...

I think she is dumb. She looks like exactly like a typical dumb/annoying character.

She's not dumb. She's 15, bro.

"Insane pilots need to stay off the battlefield."

I laughed at that. Theodor seems like one of those guys who is easily annoyed and everything pisses him off and those can be pretty fun characters.

Jan 13, 2016 1:55 PM

Oct 2015
This one already darker at start. Musics and battle scenes are awesome though.
Jan 13, 2016 7:00 PM

Jun 2013
Pretty good episode, a bit melodramatic though.
Jan 14, 2016 12:17 AM

Jun 2011
Chiibi said:
Seiya0890 said:

She's not dumb. She's 15, bro.

"Insane pilots need to stay off the battlefield."

I laughed at that. Theodor seems like one of those guys who is easily annoyed and everything pisses him off and those can be pretty fun characters.

Lol, age has barely anything to do in anime. You think it's normal to send a little girl at the battlefield ? In anime, characters are usually created according to their settings (you probably have heard the word "sette" many times in animes). The age does influence it, but is not that relevant. Here Katia experienced death situation, killed alive creatures, this should be more important to forge the personality.
Seiya0890Jan 14, 2016 12:23 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2016 11:03 AM

Nov 2012
Dark atmosphere right from the start.
Also those history related stuff sounds really convincing.
Jan 15, 2016 7:45 AM
Sep 2014
ixarising said:
Araneae said:
This show is just plainly offensive to history. wtf

No it's not actually. This will make you think history show is much kinder than this.

To people that dislike tragedies or think this will be some fun trip till the end, better stop now, it's not. This show is way darker than you think.

You don't know how thankful I am when I saw your comment ixarising.

Jan 15, 2016 8:51 AM
Feb 2015
karmenmeghan said:

You're welcome.
Jan 15, 2016 1:53 PM

Jan 2015
FlamepriesT said:
WhipItGood said:

Chiibi said:

Damn...the anime censored the death scene too much.
Jan 15, 2016 2:54 PM

May 2014
Meh, the show is edgy enough. Any more gore and you can expect Terra Formars tier censorship.
Typing on an ipad is like driving carpentry nails with a sledgehammer.
Jan 16, 2016 6:01 AM
Feb 2009
Stark700 said:

Not bad but I felt like being dropped in the middle of the story this episode. Right from start, there's action, blood, mecha, BETA, etc. The narrative is short but captured the point of the premise.

That's a good thing. Nothing worse than forced overexplaining.
Pretty good start. But the battle tactic was crap as expected, first 5-10 min made me wan't to drop it but fortunatelly I watched it to the end.
Jan 16, 2016 6:22 AM
Jan 2014
Sigh, another unlikeable mc. And I thought they couldn't possibly come up with a more douche guy than Bridges. Why, oh Japan, must you keep coming up with a male mc that is either a beta loser or an emo fag?
Jan 16, 2016 9:32 AM
Jul 2013
PointyThingy said:
Sigh, another unlikeable mc. And I thought they couldn't possibly come up with a more douche guy than Bridges. Why, oh Japan, must you keep coming up with a male mc that is either a beta loser or an emo fag?

Every muv luv mc is a douchebag at the start, then they grew up.
Jan 16, 2016 11:20 AM

Jun 2011
ixarising said:
karmenmeghan said:

You're welcome.

Thanks
Jan 16, 2016 2:41 PM

Feb 2013
Total Eclipse had a really good first episode too... before it turned harem. I'm hoping this one sticks to the action.

Great music too.
Jan 16, 2016 10:04 PM

May 2012
This show takes itself too seriously for my liking
Jan 17, 2016 2:58 AM

Jun 2014
Fai said:
They have no alternative to that.Humans are going extinct faster than they grow up. Pilots and overall soldiers have extremely low life expectancy. To add to that, not every person is compatible with being a pilot. Thus using child soldiers, especially in terms of piloting, etc is common in this setting.

Yea that reason gets used alot in animes. I get it. But it just doesn't sit well with me. It seems like a lazy reason and also just allows them to use children in order to get a larger/easier target audience (children).
Not every person is compatible - really? who the hell engineered these machines in such a way that a % of the population can simply never use them due to an 'incompatibility' which good training cannot overcome.
And there are plenty of adult soldiers around. I saw what looked like several thousand pointlessly die in the first episode. They can't spare 6 soldiers every now and then to train a squad?
Jan 17, 2016 6:17 AM
Jul 2015
Grunkalunka said:

Yea that reason gets used alot in animes. I get it. But it just doesn't sit well with me. It seems like a lazy reason and also just allows them to use children in order to get a larger/easier target audience (children).

you realize the series is originally an Eroge targeted for +18 ? they sure are not targeting children lol
Jan 17, 2016 7:27 AM

Jul 2008
Average start for the show but I'm sure it's only gonna get bloodier as we go. Looks like Lise is in Stasi from the looks of the epilogue while Irisdina and Beatrix are the main leads for fanservice if they choose to go the extreme.
ShanaFlameJan 17, 2016 7:35 AM
Jan 17, 2016 7:48 AM
Feb 2015
Grunkalunka said:
Not every person is compatible - really? who the hell engineered these machines in such a way that a % of the population can simply never use them due to an 'incompatibility' which good training cannot overcome.
And there are plenty of adult soldiers around. I saw what looked like several thousand pointlessly die in the first episode. They can't spare 6 soldiers every now and then to train a squad?

They didn't make the TSF to be compatible to certain %, they intended to make it compatible to all but not everyone has the amplitude to pilot the TSF, just like there are some people who can't ride roller coasters, planes etc. There are just people who can't get the required amplitude for that and are placed as infantries or other post instead.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2016

173 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 8:10 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2016

78 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 7:58 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2016

176 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 25, 2023 2:14 AM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2016

115 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:28 PM

Poll: » Schwarzesmarken Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2016

76 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 23, 2023 6:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.