Forum Settings
Forums

Do you like it when Openings and Endings are dubbed in your language?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 6, 2016 10:22 PM

Apr 2015
There's one English OP I'll never forget.

This is Escaflowne's Japanese OP:

Pretty okay, I'd skip it while watching though.

Now, Fox Kids did a lot of butchering to ruin Escaflowne. But you know what they gave us?

AW YEAH! Now I'm pumped to watch Escaflowne!

To answer your question, OP, sometimes dubbing can enhance a work, as seen here.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 6, 2016 10:25 PM

Dec 2015
-CallMeSenpai- said:
LordPerucho said:

Bulmas spanish seiyuu sang it.

Well, that was cringy, never heard it before (i'm not a DB fan) but the lyrics are just weird. La letra es tan rara, mas siendo de un programa de accion :S

I guess i most cases , it is the opening that associates better with the anime.

The ending is closing theme , most of the time it doesn't really relate to the theme of the anime , it's more relaxing or more upbeat but contrasting with the anime.

For example Gundam Wing , the ending is a very upbeat song and has 0 Mecha robots. Only Relena appears.

This is kinda not a rule in Magical Girl animes tho.
Jan 6, 2016 10:29 PM

Jun 2012
In my case, NO, I don't like dubbed anime OP/EDs. Especially when the dubbing studio completely replaced the original opening movie with their own version spliced from various scenes from the anime. Two big examples would be Digimon Adventure (happened a few episodes before Angemon's debut) and Captain Tsubasa Road to 2002 (happened just after the first two episodes).

Not to mention, worse thing happened with Dragon Ball. From its very first episode up until the very last episode of GT, they kept using the dubbed version of the very first opening theme ("Makafushigi Adventure"), completely neglecting the new OP/ED themes from Z and GT. I don't understand why they did that.
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu."

However, in Gundam, all life begins with Nu and ends with Hi-Nu. While in KanColle, all life begins with Nu and ends with Kinu.
Jan 6, 2016 10:38 PM

Dec 2015
i completely forgot that back then America completely got the boot when it comes to anime...

Tons of censorship and even changed intros and whatnot.

Sailor Moon in English is shit. Destroyed by censorship and even butchered down episodes.
Jan 6, 2016 11:06 PM

Mar 2012
They don't do English dubbed Opening themes all that often these days. Yo-Kai Watch is the only recent example that comes to mind. It takes a lot of time, money and effort to dub songs in anime and they usually sound like shit anyway so why bother?

Though I like it when it's done well. So more like this

And less like this (Seriously why the fuck did they dub the OP for this show)

SeibaaHomuJan 6, 2016 11:10 PM
Jan 6, 2016 11:08 PM

May 2015
It's ok when they do their own songs if it's dubbed, but if they actually dub English onto what was originally a Japanese song, then that's just crap.

Jan 6, 2016 11:15 PM

Mar 2012
Nymphias said:
It's ok when they do their own songs
I beg to differ. I mean sure the Pokemon theme songs were cool and all but that was an exception.

Even worse in the case of the latter three songs here where Saban decided to make their own CG animation.

Jan 6, 2016 11:28 PM

Jun 2015
These kind of questions can never have a clear answer. It always depends on the execution imo.
Seiya0890 said:
But its still disgusting from my point of view, and from the word's point of view, therefore its disgusting.

Wise words.
Jan 6, 2016 11:47 PM

Feb 2014
i only watch sub but i still rememeber the german openings of anime that i watched as a child. Some of them were really good like the german opening of the first digimon season. it's a hole awesome song not just digimon , digital monsters like in the english one.
Jan 7, 2016 1:32 AM

May 2009
NO

Everything that gets dubbed in Dutch fucking sucks. I didn't notice it when I was young, but when I got older and had the chance to watch Aladdin (the animated Disney movie, FYI) in both Dutch and English, a whole new world opened up before me. One in which the original language sounded a million times better, where the actors showed emotions, rather than blankly reading stuff off a piece of paper, and where my enjoyment of said movie increased massively. Same thing goes for some of my favorite animated series of days gone by. Original is always best.

This is why I hate dubs of any kind. Exceptions exist, but they're rare.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 7, 2016 2:15 AM

Mar 2014
AO968 said:
NO

Everything that gets dubbed in Dutch fucking sucks. I didn't notice it when I was young, but when I got older and had the chance to watch Aladdin (the animated Disney movie, FYI) in both Dutch and English, a whole new world opened up before me. One in which the original language sounded a million times better, where the actors showed emotions, rather than blankly reading stuff off a piece of paper, and where my enjoyment of said movie increased massively. Same thing goes for some of my favorite animated series of days gone by. Original is always best.

^This pretty much

There is a reason why Dutch, Swedes, Norwegians, Finns, Slovenians, Portuguese people in general are better at languages, or at least English, than French, Germans, Italians, Spanish people, Russians and native English speakers (not when it comes to English, but other languages)

Spoiler: it doesn't have anything to do with magical language powers
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 7, 2016 2:18 AM

Feb 2015
i don't like it
i prefer the original

Jan 7, 2016 10:13 AM

May 2013
AO968 said:
NO

This. I would have to cringe every time I heard ANYTHING dub in my home language. They don't bother to mute out the original voice, dubbing (more like reading translation) overlap the original. Sometime even lazy enough to get a dude voiced a feminine princess character. I didn't know voice acting budgets are that low.

Same thing can be said for OP and ED. The original song is played on the background and the translation is READ overlapping it. I can't see how it can get worse than this. People just don't give a fuq about these things.

Some of the stuffs get better nowadays but relatively, they're pretty much in this state.
Why do people have to work? I just want to eat and sleep. I should have born as a panda at the zoo.
- Kazuya Hiramaru (Bakuman)
Jan 7, 2016 10:36 AM

Dec 2015
I don't see the point in translating an OP. Why fix something if it isn't even broken?
Jan 7, 2016 10:39 AM

Jul 2015
No, i actuallly hate it >_< Pretty annoying. But fortunately, in my language there are almost no dubbed versions.
Jan 7, 2016 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
No not really. I perfer them to be in Japanese.
Jan 7, 2016 12:05 PM

Jun 2007
Lothric said:
Do you like the feeling of swallowing some vomit when you finished vomiting? That's how I feel about it.
Who's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to swallow that vomit, aside from on a few kids' series?

Sw_Star24 said:
i completely forgot that back then America completely got the boot when it comes to anime...

Sailor Moon in English is shit. Destroyed by censorship and even butchered down episodes.
Wrong verb tense; it maybe was shit, but it's being redubbed from scratch with no name changes, no censorship, no missing episodes, no cut scenes, no video edits, relatively few major script edits, and afaik no dubbed songs. (The video quality may be another matter, but that's partially Toei's fault for providing subpar masters.)
Jan 7, 2016 1:37 PM

Feb 2008
Sw_Star24 said:
A long time ago , anime was so big that there were many dubs of tons of golden series. There were lots of version of just the 1st opening and the 1st ending .

Do you actually like when songs are translated and dubbed in your language? Or do you prefer the original Japanese songs.

GOD, NO!!!! Leave the Japanese OPs and EDs just as they are. Yes, most latino dubs are good, I've listened to a few of them and I liked them quite a bit. But my country is a whole other story. If you wanna' know what dubbed intros sound like in my native language just watch below. I warn you though, it's bad, really bad :

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jan 7, 2016 1:47 PM

Aug 2013
louko said:
Doesn't really matter to me, but my favorite opening are in english, i.e One piece "we are" and samurai champloo "battle cry"
respectable

good music is good music it's just usually the english dub OP if there is one has a waaaay lower budget and is just straight up inferior
Jan 7, 2016 1:48 PM

Dec 2015
Zalis said:
Lothric said:
Do you like the feeling of swallowing some vomit when you finished vomiting? That's how I feel about it.
Who's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to swallow that vomit, aside from on a few kids' series?

Sw_Star24 said:

Wrong verb tense; it maybe was shit, but it's being redubbed from scratch with no name changes, no censorship, no missing episodes, no cut scenes, no video edits, relatively few major script edits, and afaik no dubbed songs. (The video quality may be another matter, but that's partially Toei's fault for providing subpar masters.)

I know that.

Stephanie Sheh was definetely not a Mistake as Sailor Moon.

then again , from back then , many countries managed to make SM a faithful adaptation to the original Japanese anime , something that , IIRC , America was the only one who failed.
Jan 7, 2016 1:50 PM

Apr 2010
Buo said:

A masterpiece. Someone bring the Holy Water so I can clean my hears.

The English DBZ opening was slightly different.

Jan 9, 2016 12:30 AM

May 2014
I personally prefer japanese openings over english ones however when it comes to the actual dubs with the anime's themselves I don't mind if Its english or japanese as long as the voices fit the characters.
Jan 9, 2016 12:53 AM

Oct 2014
After getting used to this song

I decided to look it up on Youtube and found this song.

I thought it was fan made at first as it sounds similar to the Pokemon English theme, but apparently this is the official English OP for Cardcaptor Sakura. IMO it doesn't fit the series as well and is a generally inferior song. I'm fine with actual anime OPs that are mostly in English like these two:
Jan 9, 2016 9:00 AM

Mar 2014
I still have fond memories of Sailor Moon and Beyblade, but I wouldn't like it now. If it's the Japanese singer doing an English version then it's ok sometimes.
Jan 9, 2016 9:02 AM

May 2014
It all depends on what sounds more appealing. Leeandlie on YT does some pretty good covers, though.
Jan 9, 2016 9:05 AM

Feb 2015
ruin the show.

"i'm eating pizza right now, but i eat it too much. cause that, i can't watch anime"
^
Don't mind this if you know what i mean
Jan 9, 2016 9:19 AM

Aug 2015
Sure, it's not like the original stops existing. It's a win win situation.

Plus all the 90's rap ones were amazingly awful.
Jan 9, 2016 9:30 AM

Jun 2015
well if it sounds nice its okay, but i didn't like it when one my counties channels dubbed aikatsu along with the songs which were voiced by a girlband i dislike. but i did enjoy the dub of the dragon ball song ( i don't recall if it was the op/ed) which was catchy, trendy, and great joke material cause them lyrics so bad + the nostalgia m8.
Jan 9, 2016 9:32 AM

Dec 2015
English or Japanese I don't care as long as I like the song.
May 26, 2016 1:09 PM

Feb 2014
-Senpai- said:
Depends on the song, the latin version of the Digimon Adventure 001 opening is even better than the japanese one.
(This statement may be bias cause digimon was my childhood)
Anyway, here's the song if anyone is interested:

the german version of the digimon opening is awesome too, in my opinion.

here's the song:
May 26, 2016 3:17 PM

Aug 2009
Sw_Star24 said:
A long time ago , anime was so big that there were many dubs of tons of golden series. There were lots of version of just the 1st opening and the 1st ending .

Do you actually like when songs are translated and dubbed in your language? Or do you prefer the original Japanese songs.

For me , while i mostly prefer Japanese and subs , i would also love to hear a version in my language. I remember back then there were very beautiful themes that were translated and turned out , imo , better than the original but tha's just me.

And example , not going so far , is Sailor Moon. I like the original Japanese version of the ending Heart Moving but , the Latin American version is one of the best versions of that theme in my opinion , even sounding sweeter than the original to me at least.

Bias aside of course .

If its good I don't mind it being dubbed into english. Most of the time I don't even pay attention to the OP and ED songs.

Here are my favorite OPs and EDs dubbed into english

May 26, 2016 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
Not really, i prefer the original most of the times. However for old shows like Pokemon, Dragonball and Sailor Moon i liked the dubbed more.
May 26, 2016 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
I be like oh, nice i guess but otherwise I don't really give a shit.

EDIT:

Oh ok you mean like the english dubs does their own version n shit right? nah i prefer Japanese. Some Jap songs are actually made in English, thats what I meant with my original statement.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Jun 3, 2016 8:53 PM
Jun 6, 2016 11:52 PM

Sep 2015
No, would be cringeeyy!
Nostalgic ones are exceptions
Jun 7, 2016 1:49 AM

Mar 2016
I love it when they put as much work into a foreign version as they do with the original. This is done better in video games I'll admit. Small of Two Pieces from Xenogears is absolutely beautiful in english, as are the Lunar songs when localized. It might be a guilty pleasure but I still jam to a few 90s Sailor Moon songs.

Click the banner for anime lists, discussions, reviews, and let's plays!
Jun 8, 2016 9:30 PM

Jan 2015
For as much as I love dubs, I find a lot of the time English opening and endings just don't work for me. Either the person they have singing is on the tone deaf side, or they try to directly translate the Japanese song and they words don't work with the melody. Of course there are exceptions to this and a couple stand out quite nicely, the Record of the Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight's English ending is actually done quite well. However, unless the English opening or ending completely scraps the original Japanese version and makes something else up, it tends to be quite cringey.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 1 hour ago

16 by Nurguburu »»
2 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime?

GoatPieceLuffy - 1 hour ago

37 by Tropisch »»
2 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
3 minutes ago

» Favorite characters you think are Sadist, Masochist, or Switch

IpreferEcchi - Apr 25

9 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 3 hours ago

8 by rohan121 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.