Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 18, 2009 10:58 AM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of a disappointing ending.

It seemed like there was a lot of similarities between the relationship between Orphen and Azali and Azali and childman. Both Orphen and Azali seemed to have a one sided love for someone and even used the same line (most important person) to describe them if i remember right.

It was kind of annoying how Orphen spent 6 years chasing after Azali and then while she says she cares for him, she doesn't show it at all during the whole time he is trying to save her, after she possesses childman's body and even after she is saved. It is like she only treated him as her brother as one of her experiments and never really cared about him one way or another.

Then the episode ends with Orphen and Azali parting ways like nothing happened, presumably forever as she is going off on some ship somewhere. Completely out of place. even a single episode before Orphen was saying with his words and actions that she was more important to him than even his own life and then he just says bye right after saying her.

The ending nearly brought the show down to a 7 for me. I enjoyed it and it had a surprising amount of twists (most of them related to Azali), but bad endings annoy me.
Jan 20, 2011 9:17 PM

Jan 2009
I can agree with that. This series had the potential to be a true masterpiece. The storyline and concept is very strong. But the writing just didn't seem up to the task. I'm still rather confused on Azali. Thoughout the series it seemed like she had kinda a split personality, but then we seem to find out she's fully aware of what she was doing as the Bloody August. So a lot of her actions just didn't seem to make sense to me. I feel there were alot of inconsistancies in the storyline. But I still enjoyed it non-the-less. 8/10

Off to season two.
ZewerrApr 13, 2013 8:25 PM
Mar 23, 2013 2:15 PM

May 2010
Basically Azali is pregnant with Childman now and Childman has to be reborn is what I got from this episode.

I skipped all the fillers. I checked out the next season's character list and Azali isn't a focus anymore, so it is probably going to be a waste of my time.

5/10 for this show.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
May 27, 2016 6:57 PM

Dec 2012
It's one of those shows where you can tell that the source material is very good, but it is just hard to translate into the anime (like Berserk, Blade of the Immortal, Gantz).

I thought episodes 22 and 23 were very good with their twists and artistic direction, and I thought I would bump the score to 8, but this last episode was weird and illogical. Like how Orphen and Azalie part ways so easily, and how Orphen could survive using the sword when Azalie (in Childman's body) failed using it when Childman should have been the superior sorceror.

At least we know why his name is Childman now.
Nov 3, 2016 6:07 PM
Dec 2014
I love these kind of "neverending adventure" endings. Very melancholic.

Apparently SO2 isn't very good so I'll leave it here. Comfy show, as always 90s anime best anime.
Aug 8, 2019 2:36 AM

Dec 2012
And the mystery has been solved! The Sword of Baltandars is an ancient holy impregnation device! So is it now BabyMan? FetusMan? Born-from-a-virginMan?

Bizarro twist aside, that ending felt fairly generic for something that was shaping up into quite the unexpected turn of events. I suppose it goes to the heart of a common theme in adventure stories - that the journey never truly ends for those who love it.

Overall, I'm a bit mixed on how this turned out. The main story of Azalie, Childman & Baltandars shaped up well and threw me in for a loop. I'd really been enjoying the last 6 episodes of Orphen, albeit I'm also disappointed that it took me the remaining 18 just to warm up to it. It seemed like the allure of an adventure was far more appealing than the actual execution. The OPs, for example, have some rock solid animation & battles which never actually transpire in the show. Hell, it's like the OP was practically a different show. I can't help but feel a sense of false advertising considering it was the openings that had initially convinced me to pick this up. Oh well, three years later I finally managed to see it through.

While most of Orphen was cheap, stale & forgettable, the main story was an unpolished gem that was able to shine out and show what its true potential was. Perhaps the upcoming remake will be able to cut this diamond in the rough and continue to illuminate the potential I saw.

6/10
Oct 24, 2019 1:41 PM

Oct 2014
oh I get it now his name was childman and he's a baby inside Azalie now. Being pregnant with your lover that's fucked up and weird.
I don't really now what to say about this ending.
So azalie never loved orphen.
Jan 3, 2020 10:26 PM
Nov 2015
Feniksrises said:
I love these kind of "neverending adventure" endings. Very melancholic.

Apparently SO2 isn't very good so I'll leave it here. Comfy show, as always 90s anime best anime.

I think the same hahaha, I already finished 1st season and I think it could be bad idea watch 2nd season because i read bad reviews of it xD
Jun 12, 2021 9:20 PM

Jul 2015
Strange end to say the least with Azalie saved and Childman being a fetus in her womb (kinda fucked up since he was her first love and now has become her Child). Story was good but bit slow since it didn't feel like there was that much content to it (expected from an older anime).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Episode 10 Discussion

Krayzel - Jun 1, 2011

5 by Curarpikt93 »»
Jan 14, 2023 3:14 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Episode 23 Discussion

Unkrowned - Jun 12, 2021

1 by whatever5464 »»
Jul 9, 2022 1:37 PM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Episode 22 Discussion

Unkrowned - Jun 12, 2021

1 by whatever5464 »»
Jul 8, 2022 11:23 AM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Episode 20 Discussion

Unkrowned - Jun 12, 2021

1 by whatever5464 »»
Jul 6, 2022 12:59 PM

Poll: » Majutsushi Orphen Episode 18 Discussion

Unkrowned - Jun 12, 2021

1 by whatever5464 »»
Jul 5, 2022 2:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.