Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which do you prefer?
Only subs - original audio is best.
45.9%
Mostly subbed, some dubbed.
29.7%
Only dubbed - I like it in my native language.
2.3%
Mostly dubbed, some subbed.
8.0%
Both subbed and dubbed equally.
11.5%
Raw.
2.6%
2,442 votes
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 49 50 [51] 52 53 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2010 3:14 AM

Nov 2007
lightcircus said:
only to get paid almost nothing in exchange for their "services."

Nonsense. The hobos Funimation pulls out of the alley behind their studio are paid in perfectly good rum.
Oct 10, 2010 4:30 AM

Mar 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
I think you're being a bit hard on dubs; it doesn't have to be superior to still be good. it just sounds like you're saying "If it's not phenomenal, it's shit."

Of course there are a few amazing dub jobs out there. There are also some terrible ones (namely ones involving a cast of moe-cute girls etc). In my experience it's usually this black and white. I can't think of many "ok" dubs.

But if it's not "superior" then why are you watching it in that format? =/

TokyoCandlelight said:
Whatever a person's preference, it's probably best they don't let ignorance or laziness become the reason they're watching dub only.
supersonic124 said:
The same could be said about watching sub only.

How so? Considering a person who only watches subbed anime has access to all anime in dubbed, but one who watches only dubbed are missing out masterpieces.

Redfoxoffire said:
You must just be one of very few who think that. I actually saw the dub after watching subbed and even then thought Brad Swaile was better.

I lean more towards sub than dub, Death Note is my favourite anime of all time, and even I'll admit the dub was better than perfect. Light in original audio was one of the weakest links in my opinion.

Redfoxoffire said:
Sub vs dub debates are serious business.

LMAO!!!! Ehem... May I use this quote as my forum sig? =)
Bellany_Oct 10, 2010 4:55 AM
Oct 10, 2010 5:16 AM
May 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
ARXLaevatein said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Your first and last paragraphs don't seem to agree with each other.

Seems valid to me. First part is only what he believes after all, not what other people should believe. Second part is his objective neutrality, which can coexist with his belief.

Meh, maybe. It just felt like he was saying "Dubs are never good, but respect what others like," which doesn't sound very respectful to dubs to me.

Umm.. I really meant it just like ARXLaevatein said it. I'm tired of constantly writing "In my opinion.." simply because it gets annoying fast and everyone should know it's my opinion since I wrote it and because I constantly said that it's how I feel about the issue ("I feel that .. Overall I would prefer") and so on.

I think subs are better, but that doesn't mean that it's a fact that dubs are worse - it's simply my opinion about them. My personal opinion - not a fact. People should just watch and listen to whatever language they prefer - it's as simple as that. Please do not misunderstand :)
Oct 10, 2010 5:45 AM

Feb 2010
The only one who so far convinced me that her opinion is not at least partly based on weeaboness or prejudices is someone who is actually english/japanese bilingual and therefore able to judge voice acting in both languages. If you can't speak Japanese you can't judge the voice acting, or only small parts like talking speed.
Unluckily that person clearly prefered the japanese voice actors and I didn't plan on referring to her in this thread, but out of fairness I do ^^
So dub-haters go learn japanese and then we can continue arguing :P

That said, I didn't miss this thread, shame on whoever revived this *gg*
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 10, 2010 6:03 AM
May 2010
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
The only one who so far convinced me that her opinion is not at least partly based on weeaboness or prejudices is someone who is actually english/japanese bilingual and therefore able to judge voice acting in both languages. If you can't speak Japanese you can't judge the voice acting, or only small parts like talking speed.
Unluckily that person clearly prefered the japanese voice actors and I didn't plan on referring to her in this thread, but out of fairness I do ^^
So dub-haters go learn japanese and then we can continue arguing :P

That said, I didn't miss this thread, shame on whoever revived this *gg*

I understand what you're saying, and agree with you a lot. Especially the last sentence, because this thread is a never ending debate and there's no right or wrong.. there's better things to talk about.

I do want to point out though that just because you don't know the actual language itself doesn't mean you can at least partially judge the language and the voice actors. Emotions, for example, doesn't care what language you use - and in my opinion Japanese voice actors are much better in that aspect. I will admit that I've not watched and listened to a lot of dubs though, but from what I've listened to I stand by my opinion.

This will be my last post about this issue here.. I've talked enough about how I feel about dubs vs subs.
Oct 10, 2010 10:40 AM

Jun 2008
lightcircus said:
ahahahah talking about flawed arguments and here you are defending a bunch of no-talent douchebags that practically got picked up off the street because no one else would do something as absurd as provide the voices for a dub of some shitty japanese cartoon, only to get paid almost nothing in exchange for their "services."

Congratulations, you are eleven years old.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Redfoxoffire said:
I think you're being a bit hard on dubs; it doesn't have to be superior to still be good. it just sounds like you're saying "If it's not phenomenal, it's shit."

Of course there are a few amazing dub jobs out there. There are also some terrible ones (namely ones involving a cast of moe-cute girls etc). In my experience it's usually this black and white. I can't think of many "ok" dubs.

But if it's not "superior" then why are you watching it in that format? =/

There are terrible ones of course, and maybe instead of "okay" it would be better stated as "good enough." Many of the ones I watch I wouldn't say are AMAZING, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

I watch them because I prefer it that way.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Whatever a person's preference, it's probably best they don't let ignorance or laziness become the reason they're watching dub only.
supersonic124 said:

How so? Considering a person who only watches subbed anime has access to all anime in dubbed, but one who watches only dubbed are missing out masterpieces.

I believe he's referencing the fact that some anime are widely considered superior in their dubbed format.

Redfoxoffire said:
Sub vs dub debates are serious business.

LMAO!!!! Ehem... May I use this quote as my forum sig? =)

Go ahead.
Oct 10, 2010 1:01 PM

Mar 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
There are terrible ones of course, and maybe instead of "okay" it would be better stated as "good enough." Many of the ones I watch I wouldn't say are AMAZING, but there's nothing wrong with them either.

I watch them because I prefer it that way.

If you "prefer" them, then clearly they can't be "superior", regardless of what the masses think. I was merely trying to illustrate that there is no "better" or "worse", only preference. People can't go around saying "dubs suck", because chances are they're the sort of old farts that think original is ALWAYS better. That Akira and Ghost in the Shell define anime, that retro defines gaming and Star Wars defines trilogies. These ignorant wastes would never acknowledge that a superior dub could ever surpass the original. 90% of the anime I've watched I haven't even attempted in dub because I got used to sub as soon as I realised only an idiot wouldn't, due to the titles available in sub only. I'm sure if I watched them all in dubbed, I'd find at least 5 more that I prefer to the original audio. The ones I DO prefer like Death Note and School Rumble were watched in dub by sheer chance, but I'm glad I did nonetheless.

TokyoCandlelight said:
supersonic124 said:

TokyoCandlelight said:

Redfoxoffire said:
I believe he's referencing the fact that some anime are widely considered superior in their dubbed format.

Widely considered superior by who? The small percentage as indicated on here that outlines those that prefer dub to sub? I'm quite sure that being a dub-only enthusiast, he'd be missing out more than me. ^.^' Not that I'm sub-only anyways. Studio Ghibli films are often dubbed amazingly, as are the 10 or so anime I pointed out a few posts ago. I'm merely pointing out that someone who refuses to accept sub - whether you fail to see it as "superior" or not - has a very narrow scope on what they can choose to watch. Even an ignorant sub-only watcher has titles such as Toradora, ef, Clannad AS (ugh) and Angel Beats etc. I'd rather be able to say I've watched these but watched Death Note in subbed, than watch Death Note in dubbed and miss out on Japanese-only titles.
Bellany_Oct 10, 2010 1:08 PM
Oct 10, 2010 3:10 PM

Jun 2008
TokyoCandlelight said:
If you "prefer" them, then clearly they can't be "superior", regardless of what the masses think. I was merely trying to illustrate that there is no "better" or "worse", only preference.

That's, like, exactly what my argument has always been. I've not been trying to say dubs > subs, just that subbed isn't always going to be the objectively better choice and that dubs as a whole aren't terrible like the ignorant masses tend to think. Sometimes my arguments sound like dub > sub, but it's merely because I need to use certain counters like that for arguments. If I don't point out the pros of dubs I won't get very far.

TokyoCandlelight said:
Widely considered superior by who? The small percentage as indicated on here that outlines those that prefer dub to sub?

I mean specific shows like Cowboy Bebop that even a lot of hardcore sub fans agree are better in English. Theoretically you could be missing out on what many agree to be a "superior" experience.

I'm merely pointing out that someone who refuses to accept sub - whether you fail to see it as "superior" or not - has a very narrow scope on what they can choose to watch. Even an ignorant sub-only watcher has titles such as Toradora, ef, Clannad AS (ugh) and Angel Beats etc. I'd rather be able to say I've watched these but watched Death Note in subbed, than watch Death Note in dubbed and miss out on Japanese-only titles.

I agree with that, too. I don't think anyone, no matter how hardcore, should restrict themselves to only dubbed anime. Some dubs are legitimately terrible or just less-than-good, and some great stuff isn't and may never be dubbed.

lightcircus said:
I bet you do the youtube fandub thing don't you

Lolno.
Oct 10, 2010 5:22 PM

Mar 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
That's, like, exactly what my argument has always been. I've not been trying to say dubs > subs, just that subbed isn't always going to be the objectively better choice and that dubs as a whole aren't terrible like the ignorant masses tend to think. Sometimes my arguments sound like dub > sub, but it's merely because I need to use certain counters like that for arguments. If I don't point out the pros of dubs I won't get very far.

Well, please do not feel you have to "counter my argument". As I've said a number of times, I watched dubbed anime long before I even gave sub a chance. I started watching sub merely because what I wanted to see in dub wasn't available. Then when I tried sub, I began to like it more and more. I wasn't pressured into it by a third party peer pressure. I don't believe that watching anime in Japanese makes you more of an anime fan than someone who watches it in English. I still check the dub every so often when selecting an anime, in the hopes that I can find another masterpiece, because I fancy a change now and then. I'm not someone you need to defend against. I'm the last person to stereotype someone for watching dub, but what I can't stand is the ignorance of someone claiming their way is the right way, and trolling anyone who actually knows better.

Redfoxoffire said:
I mean specific shows like Cowboy Bebop that even a lot of hardcore sub fans agree are better in English. Theoretically you could be missing out on what many agree to be a "superior" experience.

Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree without even giving that dub a chance. There are those that hate the idea that their way of doing things isn't always the best way. That's how it is. That's why this topic will never have a conclusion. Although I didn't think much of Cowboy Bebop (the anime itself, not the sub or dub), I can acknowledge that I personally prefer about 10 anime on my list dubbed rather than subbed. Please bear in mind that I haven't even tried half of them in dubbed before, and there are many anime on my list that don't even have a dub.

lightcircus said:
I bet you do the youtube fandub thing don't you

lightcircus said:
But you would if you got the chance, wouldn't you? It sounds fun, doesn't it?

Not that it's any of my business, but if I'd only watched 17 days of anime, I wouldn't start a battle of wits with someone who clearly knows what they're talking about more than I do. =/
Bellany_Oct 10, 2010 5:35 PM
Oct 10, 2010 5:31 PM

Jul 2009
TokyoCandlelight said:
Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree, without even giving said dub a chance. There are those that hate the idea that their way of doing things isn't always the best way. That's how it is. That's why this topic will never have a conclusion. Although I disliked Cowboy Bebop (the anime itself, not the sub or dub), I can acknowledge that I personally prefer about 10 anime on my list dubbed rather than subbed. Please bear in mind that I haven't even tried half of them in dubbed before, and there are many anime on my list that don't even have a dub.

Generally, "lots and lots of praise" can be substituted for "generally agreed upon" in this case. A good way of finding these series out are asking for dub recommendations (here for instance), and filter out the "lol dubs suck" comments.
Oct 10, 2010 6:13 PM

Jun 2010
Subbed gets my vote. Dubbed animes don't really have that emotion, since these voice actors can't seem to get their tone isn't appropriate for the moment, or the character, or both.

Also, they can't sync the voices at all. It's either 10 seconds too slow, after the animation stops, or they speak too fast and the animation keeps going forever.
The accents the original Japanese seiyuus used for each character is unique to that character. We lose that in dub, and it just doesn't... feel like the legitimate anime.

Oh, a couple of more things - Dubbed episodes are YEARS behind. It's pointless to be faithful to dubbed episodes. And finally, to the people who complain about not being able to keep up with the subtitles and watch the anime at the same time... It's your problem. Go back to school and learn how to read at a faster pace.
Oct 10, 2010 7:13 PM

Oct 2010
Subs all the way. As I said in a previous thread the only time I watch dubs is when I'm busy doing something. But I have been abscent from anime for a few years but since I have begun watching anime again I realised dubs have improved!

Oct 10, 2010 7:31 PM

Jun 2010
I watch both pretty much equally. No real prefence for subs or dubs in general. But then there are certain series that are just either so much better in the dub like Baccano! or Speed grapher, or series that should never be dubbed for whatever reasons, like SZS.

And of course there's the nostalgia factor which keeps me from viewing things like Pokemon and Inuyasha in anything but the dub. Which is why I'm holding off on Final Act, the characters just wouldn't feel right to me.

There are both examples of horrible dubs and great dubs, and series that were just awful to begin with. To each their own I suppose.
Oct 10, 2010 7:44 PM

Jun 2008
TokyoCandlelight said:
Well, please do not feel you have to "counter my argument".....

I don't think I am at this point.

Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree without even giving that dub a chance.

This wasn't my argument in the first place, I was pointing out what I assumed it meant, which I think I've succeeded at. I'm sure that person would disagree, but that really isn't my problem right now.

lightcircus said:
But you would if you got the chance, wouldn't you? It sounds fun, doesn't it?

No and no.

TheiGeek said:
Also, they can't sync the voices at all. It's either 10 seconds too slow, after the animation stops, or they speak too fast and the animation keeps going forever.

What are you watching, badly synced Youtube videos? The only dub I've seen where I had problems with the lip syncing was the first episodes of NGE.

Oh, a couple of more things - Dubbed episodes are YEARS behind. It's pointless to be faithful to dubbed episodes.

That just means sub fans have a wider array to choose from. It doesn't make subbed anime any better.

And finally, to the people who complain about not being able to keep up with the subtitles and watch the anime at the same time... It's your problem. Go back to school and learn how to read at a faster pace.

Congratulations, you are...Hm, how old is this one? Thirteen ought to be good.

Did you know that some people are naturally slow readers, regardless of how much schooling they've had? Did you know that some people are dyslexic? It's not always the viewers fault if they can't keep up with subtitles.
Oct 10, 2010 7:56 PM

Jul 2009
You should just classify them as either too old or good enough for you-know-who. Works wonders when I do it.
Oct 10, 2010 9:14 PM

Oct 2007
Oh god I'm not reading through all that.

I'm sure there are like 15 people I'd call idiots anyway.

WHO REVIVED THIS SHIT?
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 10, 2010 9:57 PM

Nov 2007
Kuyukly said:

WHO REVIVED THIS SHIT?

Then why post?

As I said earlier, this thread will never go away because people will always ask the question.
Oct 10, 2010 10:06 PM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Kuyukly said:

WHO REVIVED THIS SHIT?

Then why post?

As I said earlier, this thread will never go away because people will always ask the question.

Because I have established my position in this thread as the angry dublover and I wanted to make sure no one took my role <3
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 10, 2010 10:35 PM

Jan 2010
subs..
most of the times the dubs make it horrible.. but not all the times though..
Oct 11, 2010 3:47 AM

Mar 2010
TokyoCandlelight said:
Someone who is dead-set on subs would disagree without even giving that dub a chance.
Redfoxoffire said:
This wasn't my argument in the first place, I was pointing out what I assumed it meant, which I think I've succeeded at. I'm sure that person would disagree, but that really isn't my problem right now.

o.x Simply put, this was to illustrate that I think you're fighting a losing battle. You're part of a minority by preferring dub to sub. A sub troll would know that and see you as bait. People like lightcircus can see that despite their lack of anime experience, in this thread he's on the "winning team" (not that there are really winners or losers, only opinions). Trolls don't think like that though, love. I guess I admire you for sticking with dub and not letting yourself stray becase of peer pressure and whatnot. o.o'

Kuyukly said:
Because I have established my position in this thread as the angry dublover and I wanted to make sure no one took my role <3

I'm pretty sure the 2% of people you represent are glad their leader is back to open some major whup-ass in the form of "slightly displeased words".
Oct 11, 2010 3:50 AM

Feb 2010
We don't have a leader, we're all equally angry about this thread :P
Oct 11, 2010 4:50 AM

Nov 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Oh, no. Kuyuchi is definitely the dubfag leader. He's the emperor of American dubbing. Shame he can't use geass to force people to like them. Or like Bosch instead of Jun.
Oct 11, 2010 7:08 AM

May 2009
At first, I was a sub only viewer, since that's what everyone told me. But later, I was able to form my own opinion.
No matter how you look at it, anime voice actors, well, voice actors in general, are a lot more available in Japan. So it's not uncommon to see this or that production house literally hunt for this or that actor for a specific character. Anime character voices are cast in a very serious manner.
Same principle, but let's look at the States. The list of available actors that would do voice acting for animated works is, well, much smaller. And a lot of teh so called celebrities are not *used* to doing voice acting, let alone for foreign works.
I'm not trying to put all dubbing in a bad light. There are times when it actually works. I'd say my best personal example would be Princess Mononoke. I enjoyed the dub as well as the sub, very much so. Aaaand then you get things like the One Piece dub which makes one really wish they could un-watch something from their long term memory.
Oct 11, 2010 7:29 AM

Oct 2007
TokyoCandlelight said:
Kuyukly said:

I'm pretty sure the 2% of people you represent are glad their leader is back to open some major whup-ass in the form of "slightly displeased words".

I said I'm the angry one, smartass. :P

^me in this thread

Edit: actually, that's just about all of us isn't it :3.
KuyuOct 11, 2010 7:39 AM
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 11, 2010 7:38 AM
Oct 2010
Honestly, it depends. Most of the time the original voice acting is better and subs work fine for me. Rarely I watch dubs in part because they are known for being particularly good, and also in part because the story doesn't take place in Japan or a Japanese setting. For example, Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon.
Oct 11, 2010 11:15 AM

Jun 2008
TokyoCandlelight said:
o.x Simply put, this was to illustrate that I think you're fighting a losing battle. You're part of a minority by preferring dub to sub. A sub troll would know that and see you as bait. People like lightcircus can see that despite their lack of anime experience, in this thread he's on the "winning team" (not that there are really winners or losers, only opinions). Trolls don't think like that though, love. I guess I admire you for sticking with dub and not letting yourself stray becase of peer pressure and whatnot. o.o'

Maybe, but I enjoy the thrill of the argument anyway.

I should mention that I have, in the past, had people come to me saying my arguments have changed their view on this subject. If I can make even just a few people a little less stupid, my effort is worth it.
FloreteOct 11, 2010 11:19 AM
Oct 11, 2010 11:19 AM

Sep 2009
it depends...if a series I wanna watch has eng dubs, I'll watch the dubs because I'm too lazy to read....if not, subs are just as fine.
Oct 11, 2010 11:27 AM

Mar 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
I should mention that I have, in the past, had people come to me saying my arguments have changed their view on this subject. If I can make even just a few people a little less stupid, my effort is worth it.

Well for what it's worth, I started watch Code Geass today. I watched an episode in dubbed before I watched one in subbed; which is something I might not have done if you didn't defend dubs so fiercely lately. I've decided to watch the rest of this series in dubbed. ;)
Oct 11, 2010 12:03 PM

Oct 2009
Asako said:

Oh, no. Kuyuchi is definitely the dubfag leader. He's the emperor of American dubbing. Shame he can't use geass to force people to like them. Or like Bosch instead of Jun.

Guess that makes you the subfag leader then.
Oct 11, 2010 12:05 PM

Oct 2009
Asako said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Fuck why do people always have to pretend to be japanese with their usernames? Damn weeaboos
Oct 11, 2010 1:22 PM

Oct 2007
supersonic124 said:
Asako said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Fuck why do people always have to pretend to be japanese with their usernames? Damn weeaboos

Asakochan isn't a weeaboo, and I definitely wouldn't call her the "subfag leader" either since she actually, unlike the vast majority of the bandwagoning idiots in this thread, buys anime and watches the dubs when available. Her opinion, as it is an informed one, is one such that I can respect.
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 11, 2010 5:21 PM

Jun 2008
Kuyukly said:

What does that make me?
Oct 11, 2010 6:41 PM

Jul 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Kuyukly said:

What does that make me?

The calm and composed sweeper?
Oct 11, 2010 6:50 PM

Nov 2007
supersonic124 said:
Guess that makes you the subfag leader then.

Except I don't watch subs. That makes it difficult to lead the sub team.

supersonic124 said:

I don't see anyone pretending anything. Though there are a disproportionate amount of what you call weeaboos in this thread.
Oct 17, 2010 6:39 PM

Jun 2010
Subs basically pwn dubs not ALL the time but most of the time no less Bleach, Black Lagoon sCRyed, Code Geass but besides I'd say in MOST cases or about 88% episodes sound a whole lot better in their original language dubswhile the 20% or 25% just fuckin suck eggs......why does this thread piss me off all of a sudden?
Oct 17, 2010 6:42 PM

Sep 2009
I'd say both. Dubs are nice when done well. However subs are usually better quality.
Tondemonai Fansubs
http://tondemonaifs.wordpress.com/
Big bag of loli desktop accessories
http://brigade.baka-wolf.com/showthread.php?t=15413

Oct 17, 2010 7:03 PM

Jun 2008
ARXLaevatein said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Kuyukly said:

What does that make me?

The calm and composed sweeper?

Gone are the days of Rage Fox. :(

negativedemyx said:
why does this thread piss me off all of a sudden?

It's been pissing me off for a while. Yet, for some reason, I'm still here.
Oct 17, 2010 7:16 PM

Oct 2010
For pretty much all of my favorite anime that are dubbed, i prefer to watch it in that format. However, there will be instances where I will rewatch a long set of these episodes subbed, and I kinda think it's cool watching it like it originally was aired to be.

That being said, whenever I am watching an inappropriate dialogued show around young family members, I switch to subs, and just pray that they can't keep up with reading them...

Oct 17, 2010 7:19 PM

May 2010
SUBBED!

dub...is just a no no
Oct 17, 2010 7:22 PM

Oct 2010
I watch Both
Oct 17, 2010 11:05 PM

May 2010
Mostly dubbed...
I only go for subbed anime when
-the dubbing is awful...
-the anime hasn't been dubbed and apparently won't be, either...
-if the dub is expected, but I'm too impatient to wait for it...
(Hey, just my personal preference; Not that I have anything against subbed anime)
Oct 18, 2010 5:47 AM

Mar 2008
subbed EVER ¡
Oct 18, 2010 5:51 AM

Oct 2010
It all depends on what I am watching. I mean if the original voices are too hard to tell apart, I find a dub and, vice versa.

Oct 18, 2010 5:55 AM

May 2010
Always subs ^_^
Oct 18, 2010 8:08 AM

Oct 2007
Aww, lightcircus, u mad? <3

Seriously, it's all They Changed It Now It Sucks with you, and very few legitimate arguments surrounded by a barrage of insults and assumptions.

Try harder next time, ah? <3
KuyuOct 18, 2010 10:45 AM
You can find me on IRC.
Oct 18, 2010 10:54 AM

Feb 2010
lightcircus said:
Yeah, nice assumption, you fucking idiot. That pretty much sums up the thought process that many hopelessly stupid people in this thread possess, including yourself.

After reading your first sentence I decided it's not worth to even read the second. I don't care about differences in opinions. But I won't waste my time on someone who will most likely just insult everyone who disagrees (Based on your first sentence, which just happens to be the first impression because it's the first sentence...etc).
I can't say anything about your arguments, but your rhetoric SUCKS if you start your speech with a bunch of insults. Noone will listen to you or take you serious after that.
Oct 18, 2010 11:15 AM

Feb 2009
lightcircus said:
Having read that (hopefully), do you honestly think the "voice actors" involved in the English dub for a particular show ever experience anything like that? Fuck no. Most of these cunts don't even take the source material seriously (or, more importantly, even have the mental capacity to do so). Half of these guys finish their work on an anime series and run off to do voicework for something as challenging as Ben 10. Yeah, I bet they take their work real seriously - especially when you throw their salaries into the equation.

So just because these people take work where it is offered (Because it is a well known fact that, for the most part, the pay for an anime voice actor really isn't all that great) that makes them not passionate about the work they do for an anime? Just because some fanboy might get upset because they broaden their range, that should stop them from putting food on the table or a roof over their heads? And you're calling others idiots? What about all the Japanese voice actors that do voice acting for erotic games? Does that mean that they don't take their work passionatly?

lightcircus said:
2) Cultural Differences
This one shouldn't need much explanation. Let me try to drill this into your empty fucking heads one more time: These shows were made in Japanese. These shows were made to appeal to a Japanese audience and their specific culture - not yours. Context is huge here. When you take one of these shows and dub it in English, you are throwing all of that out the fucking window. Even with English subtitles, something is lost. It is impossible to completely retain the original meaning when going from Japanese to English.

So... If the directors of anime are okay with it (I remember reading about one in particular when asked if he was okay with his series being dubbed he said "My work was not meant to be read, but heard. It is also to be enjoyed by anyone who it appeals to.") why the heck should you not be? I mean, the director of Fullmetal Alchemist actually prefered Vic's voice to the original Japanese. Yes, that is some epic fail right there -_-

I stopped reading at this point since it is obvious where this is going, and I've already seen it all before. Good luck on your mission against english dubs :/

Here's a question for you. You say that these shows are Japanese and thus, should stay Japanese, correct? So what about anime based in other countries? Like Black Lagoon or Monster? Should they not be dubbed in Chinese or German because they are made by Japan, although it is based in their home country?
KipperchaOct 18, 2010 1:45 PM
Oct 18, 2010 11:27 AM

Jun 2008
lightcircus said:
ENGLISH DUBS ARE INFERIOR GET OVER IT

Honestly, I think you're the one that needs to "get over" something.
Oct 18, 2010 11:32 AM

Aug 2010
SUBS! Dubbed Anime can sometimes be so BAD, you end up laughing at their failed voice acting.

The only good English Dub voice actor i can think of, is Vic Mignogna

Oct 18, 2010 1:27 PM

Apr 2010
lightcircus said:

The anime industry in Japan is very different from America or Europe or whatever shitty place in the world you live in that happens to think stealing someone's work, shitting on it and re-selling it in such a butchered form is a good idea.

Hey! Don't call others countiers shitty places!
You may not agree with other opnions, I also love to watch with subs more than dubs. but:

1) Dubbing in certain countries is part of the culture. In USA or in Germany You'll find it difficult to find a series that isn't in the local lanuage (English of German). So don't kill people for that. (Even though I can't understand this).
2) You said that dubbing make one not see things that special for the Japanese language, and the same it subs. But we can't all learn now Japanese, and I don't imigine 5 yeard old child watch anime of any other series which it isn't with his/her local language.

That's all

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (63) « First ... « 49 50 [51] 52 53 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

50 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
12 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 1 hour ago

9 by LenRea »»
14 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 57 minutes ago

2 by billybub »»
19 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

63 by WatchTillTandava »»
21 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 9 hours ago

21 by DarkShame2 »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.