Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2014 5:26 PM

Apr 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, that was a ridiculously epic finale. The Goldion Crusher is ludicrous, as you would expect from something that could destroy an enemy the size of a fucking star. Unfortunately it seems like everyone in GGG is dead now, except for Kaidou and Mamoru. And who knows how many people died on Earth during the chaos.

Apparently there's one more OVA series beyond this, but I don't think anyone's ever bothered to translate it, unfortunately. Still, GGG FINAL is a fitting end to the story.
Jun 29, 2015 2:21 PM
May 2013
Now I'm sad T_T

I wanted a happy ending , but I guess this wasn't possible since they got a death flag when they left Earth .
Feb 12, 2017 6:57 PM

Jul 2010
This was such a unnecessary sequel and just a whole mess honestly, neither cared for the newly introduced characters or the villains that was so incredibly dull and bland e very single one of them. The increased fanservice is probably the only redeeming thing about these OVAs.

And guy not as a cyborg anymore just didn't feel right like his lost some part of his personality.
Sep 15, 2017 8:11 PM

Jan 2010
So, uh, that was pretty great. I didn't even realize the last episode was an hour long, it just kind of flew by.

First off, the art and animation were on point. All the fight movements were lively, varied and full of hot-blooded screaming. The audio was great as well. Every single fanfare felt earned, and every time the soundtrack changed it gave me anxious feelings of anticipation. They definitely went all out with Final.

The characters felt kind of wasted to a certain extent, where at the end, everything was really revolving around Guy, Mamoru, and Mikoto. This especially applies to all non-GaoGaiGar robots, where they seemed to exist just to buy time and exhaust the enemies. However, considering how ridiculously outmatched they were, it certainly felt like everyone's sacrifices weren't in vain. Everyone was given one last hurrah to showcase their skills, and they were all even given final attacks that really went all out with the "Have Courage" theme. My feelings are probably due to me trying to compare this to Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen, but given that GaoGaiGar has caused me to reflect on how I felt about Gainax's work so much, I have to hand it to GaoGaiGar for proving that it has, in fact, preceded Gurren Lagann in terms of having a power source generated by never giving up and fighting to the last breath.

I think my favorite part of Final, and perhaps the whole series, was the very last moment actually. By the end, GaoGaiGar had earned every right to have its heroes return, but they decided to have their heroes live on in legend. As they put it, somewhere in the sea of stars. That's a really powerful message where the heroes were victorious, yet they did not all come back home. It truly makes for a final episode for the series.

There were a lot of conveniences throughout the series, and I definitely watched the television series with half a mind. I also have concerns with the repetition of the super villains being numbered. First, it was EI-01 and the 4 Machine Kings. Then, it was the 31 Machine Primevals. Now, it was the 1 Planetary Masters of Sol, so I think at some point, I must have gotten exhausted over how the series set itself up for these orchestrated battles. But, I always watched that super catchy opening, and before I realized it, I was paying more and more attention to the show. By the time I got to Final, I was getting pretty into the story, much to my surprise. Going into GaoGaiGar, I expected hot-blooded super mecha action, but I never really knew what that would entail. Makes me really miss the 90s. Damn.
Apr 23, 2018 4:29 PM
Nov 2015
It's suck a shame that it was made into an OVA and spread out through the years. The last episodes unfortunately fell into the early 00s period, with 2003 the weakest year, and all the beautiful hand-drawn frames and colors now look so drab and grey.
Feb 1, 2020 10:34 PM

Feb 2015
A great ending to an awesome series.
I think it was a little bit sad, because of the GGG team not returning to Earth.

I loved the final battle and the Goldion Crusher. The scenes were pretty good overall. I fell in love with the Gutsy Galaxy Guard crew from the beginning, so for me the ending was kinda emotional even if they didnt make it for obvious reasons. The animation was way better in Final, thats for sure. And also, the Score/Soundtrack was great.

Man, i miss the 90s Mecha Anime so much. Probably gonna watch Grand Glorious Gathering just to rewatch some of the FINAL scenes and complete this ride.

A true man never dies.
Feb 19, 2020 8:22 AM

Jun 2019
Really disappointed with the ending.

The original had a perfectly satisfying ending - was an 8 episode sequel with a negative ending like that really necessary?

7/10 for that reason. Gave the original a 9/10. Useless ending that I'm glad at least GaoGaiGar vs Betterman is going to follow up on.

Mar 25, 2022 1:13 AM

Oct 2010
awesome episode and a good ending, incredibly fun show. I just witnessed the best mecha fight ever.
9/10
Oct 1, 2023 11:18 PM

Sep 2020
Wow, didn't expect such a bittersweet ending. That piano version of the intro was beautiful.

The show had a lot of great action but overall it was a little bit of a letdown. They really wanted you to care about Renais, even giving her an full ED, but she was pretty much useless and too emo. Same for them introducing Papillon. It's like they wanted to add strong woman to the bunch but only wanted to check the box without making them compelling.

The story of the 11 Planetary Masters wasn't as interesting either, and the much better BioNet stuff they teased in at the start was thrown away just as quickly.

In the end, the series wasn't bad but felt unnecesssary, despite the super awesome Genesic GGG.

8 gutsy salutes /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Feb 6, 2:37 PM
Apr 2021
I just finished Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar Final and I must say, this is the best anime I've watched by far. I don't mean that just because I like mecha anime it's more than that, the characters, their designs, the voice acting, the ANIMATION, the WRITING, was just so great, I was so emotional after I finished this, that I to write this. This type of emotion doesn't come to me often, not since I watched the 1986 Transformers movie, The Grave Of The Fireflies and Brigadoon: Marin to Melan. Which were great anime as well.

This show is something we'll never see again, with this much put into it. Newer anime and even manga can't top this, because we have so many of the same characters, we can't really feel much of even anything towards any new character we see in modern anime. If we get relatable characters more and more when will we get these cool characters. Guy in GaoGaiGar was so awesome, his courage, was just so COOL AND MANLY, like why can't we get characters like this anymore.

Okay, with that out of the way. Yuusha-Ou Gaogaigar is a terrific anime, the characters are a delight.
If you've watched the first GaoGaiGar, it was more of a bad guys come to take over the world and the good guys save the day. A pretty straight forward plot, this however is what made it so great especially Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar Final which was a fantastic end and a great lead up to this masterpiece. Everything concludes here and it gives you hope that these characters are okay and that good will always triumph over evil, if you have enough courage you can accomplish anything.
Feb 6, 2:40 PM
Apr 2021
Reply to RockmanX37
A great ending to an awesome series.
I think it was a little bit sad, because of the GGG team not returning to Earth.

I loved the final battle and the Goldion Crusher. The scenes were pretty good overall. I fell in love with the Gutsy Galaxy Guard crew from the beginning, so for me the ending was kinda emotional even if they didnt make it for obvious reasons. The animation was way better in Final, thats for sure. And also, the Score/Soundtrack was great.

Man, i miss the 90s Mecha Anime so much. Probably gonna watch Grand Glorious Gathering just to rewatch some of the FINAL scenes and complete this ride.

@RockmanX37 you are definitely a man of culture, couldn't have it better! This is a masterpiece!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar Final Episode 6 Discussion

Catalano - Mar 8, 2022

1 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 11:02 PM

Poll: » Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar Final Episode 4 Discussion

Catalano - Mar 8, 2022

1 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Yuusha-Ou GaoGaiGar Final Episode 3 Discussion

Blind_Guardian - Sep 20, 2014

1 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 10:43 PM

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Final Episode 2 Discussion

ZetaZaku - Nov 15, 2012

7 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 10:38 PM

Poll: » GaoGaiGar Final Episode 1 Discussion

Frito - Dec 8, 2009

9 by SlammyHammy »»
Oct 1, 2023 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.