Forum Settings
Forums

***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 13, 2014 10:22 AM

May 2012
keragamming said:
^ Please stop your bitching now, and stop acting like SSY can't be criticize, I've seen plenty negative reviews of it.

Just as how you think it's one of the best thing you ever watch, other people think it's garbage, mediocre, waste. And that can be said for any anime.

I still haven't watch this series yet, but I'm bracing myself to be disappointed, because people always overrate things.

You wouldn't like it. SSY has characters, and world building, I know that isn't your taste. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.
Sep 13, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2013
PoeticJustice said:
keragamming said:
^ Please stop your bitching now, and stop acting like SSY can't be criticize, I've seen plenty negative reviews of it.

Just as how you think it's one of the best thing you ever watch, other people think it's garbage, mediocre, waste. And that can be said for any anime.

I still haven't watch this series yet, but I'm bracing myself to be disappointed, because people always overrate things.

You wouldn't like it. SSY has characters, and world building, I know that isn't your taste. Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.

Yea, and the 336 anime I've completed doesn't have any of that.
Sep 13, 2014 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:

Admit it, you're just butthurt because you gave Sword Art Online a good rating and OP is dissing an anime you gave a good rating.
To think is the living of the believer. To believe, is to think.
pw: qwertyuiop
Sep 13, 2014 10:34 AM

May 2014
keragamming said:
the only things ive seen people complain about ssy are the homophobes who freak out over the gay kissing and the turds who say their eyes bleed cause they want all anime to have animation as good as redline
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Sep 13, 2014 10:37 AM

Oct 2013
Kokororin said:
keragamming said:

Admit it, you're just butthurt because you gave Sword Art Online a good rating and OP is dissing an anime you gave a good rating.

More like annoyed. Butthurt though? Nah. SAO is far from my favorite series. Only a few series would make me get butthurt from people talking shit about it, I think you can guess what the first one is. ;)

@OnlyTemporary
I didn't see anyone criticizing anything like that. I saw the animation it isn't bad at all. Oh, and thnx for the spoiler. ;)
keragammingSep 13, 2014 10:44 AM
Sep 13, 2014 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
and here I though that this is a peaceful thread..
Sep 13, 2014 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
crosx said:
keragamming said:

As much as you don't like the series, you have to remember that their is plenty of people that actually likes the series as well, hence why it's popular. you maybe denying it, but sao will most likely stand the test of time more than ssy, simple because it's a well known series.

ssy, will be remembered but only by a small amount of people. It doesn't have a big impact on the industry. It doesn't seem like a series that will be memorable. It will probably be forever underrated, if it's as good as what people are saying.

Popular anime dies, good anime no.

Then why is DBZ still popular after being completed 20 years ago?
Sep 13, 2014 11:08 AM

May 2014
sullynathan said:
crosx said:

because everyone has a nostalgia boner for it
Sep 13, 2014 11:09 AM

Feb 2010
sullynathan said:
crosx said:

On the one hand because the franchise continuously popped out new movies and stuff since it 'ended' (aka it never actually ended, only the manga did). On the other hand because it's good.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 13, 2014 11:15 AM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:

Worldbuilding is something SSY focused on, is what he/she meant. We rarely get shows that do that.

OnlyTemporary said:
keragamming said:
the only things ive seen people complain about ssy are the homophobes who freak out over the gay kissing and the turds who say their eyes bleed cause they want all anime to have animation as good as redline

yeah seriously. and these few things
"ew pretentious"
"so overrated"
"i dont care for the characters"
and of course, lets not forget "too much gay"
I really want to see a legit unbiased negative review.
Sep 13, 2014 11:17 AM

Oct 2013
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
sullynathan said:

On the one hand because the franchise continuously popped out new movies and stuff since it 'ended' (aka it never actually ended, only the manga did). On the other hand because it's good.

But here on mal, it seems a lot of people think dbz is garbage. It gets no respect here. To be expected though.
keragammingSep 13, 2014 11:22 AM
Sep 13, 2014 11:20 AM
Sep 2014
***This post has been deleted and this message was created to beat the spam censors***
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:12 PM
Sep 13, 2014 11:21 AM

Oct 2013
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:

Worldbuilding is something SSY focused on, is what he/she meant. We rarely get shows that do that.

He she also included characters. -_- Anyways bullshit to that, There is plenty of shows that focuses on world building, please stop overrating this series.
Sep 13, 2014 11:23 AM

Jul 2012
keragamming said:
He she also included characters. -_- Anyways bullshit to that, There is plenty of shows with world building, please stop overrating this series.

Please name some that do it well. I need to watch more ;; I'm not overrating it, but it was more focused on the worldbuilding which is surprising because it was adapted from a novel. The only other show I've seen that did worldbuilding well was Sidonia no Kishi which you also dislike. lol
Characters...SSY had a strong female lead which is what made it good.
Sep 13, 2014 11:26 AM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:
He she also included characters. -_- Anyways bullshit to that, There is plenty of shows with world building, please stop overrating this series.

Please name some that do it well. I need to watch more ;; I'm not overrating it, but it was more focused on the worldbuilding which is surprising because it was adapted from a novel. The only other show I've seen that did worldbuilding well was Sidonia no Kishi which you also dislike. lol

Kemono Shoja erin
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 13, 2014 11:28 AM

Jul 2012
^ I'm watching that currently (or at least going to finish it in the future).
Sep 13, 2014 11:38 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 11:41 AM

Oct 2009
People praise it for its focus on "world building", plot and characters - I'll give it that. It does spend a lot of time building atmosphere, is driven by its characters, and defined by its plot.

The problems are, however, that all 3 aspects range from mediocre to garbage. The world is not only lackluster and based on sub par premises as far as dystopian societies go, but also lame as hell; the characters just a bunch of spoiled kids who happen upon certain events and served mainly as plot devices; and the plot is mediocre, forced, unfocused, and full of holes.

In the end you are left with a bad sci-fi that tries to be powerful but is really just bland and obscure in terms of premises.
Sep 13, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 2012
@san_sevieria:
Oh yes, I've read that before. Looks like the reviewer didn't have the patience to watch it tbh What I liked was the subtly of the show. If you watched it and caught onto all the little bits and pieces (foreshadowing), then the end result would be much more fulfilling as it does make sense and everything's pieced together. The lack of explanation is what made it better.

RandomChampion said:
People praise it for its focus on "world building", plot and characters - I'll give it that. It does spend a lot of time building atmosphere, is driven by its characters, and defined by its plot.

The problems are, however, that all 3 aspects range from mediocre to garbage. The world is not only lackluster and based on sub par premises as far as dystopian societies go, but also lame as hell; the characters just a bunch of spoiled kids who happen upon certain events and served mainly as plot devices; and the plot is mediocre, forced, unfocused, and full of holes.

In the end you are left with a bad sci-fi that tries to be powerful but is really just bland and obscure in terms of premises.

idk man, I've read a fair amount of dystopian novels before watching SSY and it really outdid itself. I see you have high expectations for an anime, but is 2/10 really a suitable rating for SSY or is it just hate? I agree that some of the characters were plot devices but it was used to drive it forward. The plot is not unfocused or forced. It's subtle and written well. I felt as if it was intentionally "unfocused" as in for first time viewers, we wouldn't be able to find the clear ending or goal of it but everything was laid out so that it seamed together in the end.
Sep 13, 2014 11:48 AM

Mar 2014
OnlyTemporary said:
sullynathan said:

because everyone has a nostalgia boner for it

I call bs on that. Nostalgia aside DBZ is popular enough to open in US Theatre's. Even a decade after the movies and DBGT.
Sep 13, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
keragamming said:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is arguably better than shinsekai Yori in every way and it has a strong female lead.
Sep 13, 2014 11:52 AM

Jul 2012
I've watched half of that and am planning on continuing but I don't see world building as a main focus there. Even Psycho Pass does it better. Reason I compare the two, is that they get compared often and are in the same genre.

Idk about strong female lead. I honestly can't focus on her because of her outfit. I can't help but think she's walking fanservice -.-
Sep 13, 2014 11:56 AM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2009
mayukachan said:
idk man, I've read a fair amount of dystopian novels before watching SSY and it really outdid itself. I see you have high expectations for an anime, but is 2/10 really a suitable rating for SSY or is it just hate? I agree that some of the characters were plot devices but it was used to drive it forward. The plot is not unfocused or forced. It's subtle and written well.

I have high expectations? The average for my completed anime is 7.5 or something lol

"or is it just hate" - why would I "just hate" something, as opposed to giving it a score I thought it deserved?

In fact, I watched the entire thing instead of dropping it, in case I was missing out on some profound ending (since it got high reviews everywhere).

I guess you call it subtle, I call it shallow lol
Sep 13, 2014 11:58 AM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
I've watched half of that and am planning on continuing but I don't see world building as a main focus there. Even Psycho Pass does it better. Reason I compare the two, is that they get compared often and are in the same genre.

Idk about strong female lead. I honestly can't focus on her because of her outfit. I can't help but think she's walking fanservice -.-

Are you talking about Ghost in the shell? It's true that stand alone complex doesn't focus on world building but that's because it's set in the real world.
Motoko has big boobs but it isn't distracting to me and her suit is practical. I never thought that fanservice was bad in Ghost in the shell because they're cyborgs.
Sep 13, 2014 12:00 PM

Jul 2012
RandomChampion said:

Did you catch all of the dialogues at the beginning that were hinting to the ending?

If you didn't, I understand why you would call it shallow.

And your average is 5.9 in the mutual shows we have lol

2/10 means like ultimate shit so idk how that matches your criticism.

sullynathan said:
Motoko has big boobs but it isn't distracting to me and her suit is practical. I never thought that fanservice was bad in Ghost in the shell because they're cyborgs.

idk, as a girl, I feel like it's too intentional and it kind of breaks the seriousness of the show. She can do better without that outfit.
but we're getting offtopic oops
Sep 13, 2014 12:07 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:10 PM

Oct 2009
mayukachan said:
RandomChampion said:

Did you catch all of the dialogues at the beginning that were hinting to the ending?

If you didn't, I understand why you would call it shallow.

And your average is 5.9 in the mutual shows we have lol

2/10 means like ultimate shit so idk how that matches your criticism.

sullynathan said:

idk, as a girl, I feel like it's too intentional and it kind of breaks the seriousness of the show. She can do better without that outfit.
but we're getting offtopic oops

I did catch some foreshadowing, probably not all of it since i was bored lol....but does that make a good plot?

Can I write any story I want, and as long as I include some well-placed foreshadowing it will make my work have a strong plot?

2/10 is near ultimate shit for me lol - the thing is this 26-episode-long show basically did nothing of significance well....leading to an ultimate boring experience that just drags on and on. Did not capture my interest, there was nothing profound about it, there was no powerful ending - nothing. It was like a generic Miyazaki movie on steriods

that's why i'd rather watch SAO if i had to choose either to watch again, even though that's whack too.
Sep 13, 2014 12:18 PM

Jul 2012
No, I'm not saying just foreshadowing makes it good. Obviously you won't agree with me because you hate it, but the main reason why I enjoyed it was that it made me feel like I finished a puzzle by the end of the show. Like it was complete and everything made sense. The idea of having
made it stuck out for me and the ideas/themes that were put into it as a whole.

Like san_sevieria said, you just don't have the mindset or attention span for the show. And hey, that's not bad. I didn't have the attention span for good shows like Mushishi or Natsume Yuujinchou either.
Sep 13, 2014 12:19 PM
Sep 2014
HotHotPotatoMay 1, 2017 1:13 PM
Sep 13, 2014 12:23 PM

Mar 2014
RandomChampion said:

Even though I like shinsekai yori you make some valid points. Some main characters barely got screentime and they were killed off too early.
The ogre conflict was handled poorly in some parts for me
Sep 13, 2014 12:25 PM

Oct 2009
mayukachan said:
No, I'm not saying just foreshadowing makes it good. Obviously you won't agree with me because you hate it, but the main reason why I enjoyed it was that it made me feel like I finished a puzzle by the end of the show. Like it was complete and everything made sense. The idea of having
made it stuck out for me and the ideas/themes that were put into it as a whole.

Like san_sevieria said, you just don't have the mindset or attention span for the show. And hey, that's not bad. I didn't have the attention span for good shows like Mushishi or Natsume Yuujinchou either.

Yea, whatever floats your boat, doesnt bother me. This topic is just amusing since the TC thinks that anybody who likes fan-service, moe, ecchi, etc are immature and lack self-respect. That's like saying anybody who likes anime is immature and lacks self-respect.

san seviera doesnt really know what he's talking about with regards to the attention span thing, either. SSY is far from a slow show lol. In my case, it had nothing to do with attention span, and more to do with with the premises of the show, as I've said before
Sep 13, 2014 12:27 PM

May 2013
san_sevieria said:
RandomChampion said:

I did catch some foreshadowing, probably not all of it since i was bored lol....but does that make a good plot?

Can I write any story I want, and as long as I include some well-placed foreshadowing it will make my work have a strong plot?

2/10 is near ultimate shit for me lol - the thing is this 26-episode-long show basically did nothing of significance well....leading to an ultimate boring experience that just drags on and on. Did not capture my interest, there was nothing profound about it, there was no powerful ending - nothing. It was like a generic Miyazaki movie on steriods

that's why i'd rather watch SAO if i had to choose either to watch again, even though that's whack too.

Can you create a fully developed world and an intricate plot without creating plot holes? That's one of the major challenges in writing good stories, and to put it mildly, not everyone could do it. R.R. Martin, Tolkien and other prolific sci-fi and fantasy writers have come to be so famous because they're good at what they do: creating worlds that you can immerse yourself in and avoiding things that will break immersion, like plot holes.

Anyways, even though you're entitled to your opinions, you should probably give them more thought before belching them out or you might end up looking like a fool, unless that's your goal (points to your profile picture).

Plot holes don't mean you can't enjoy something. Is it really that hard to comprehend that he'd rather watch an exciting action packed show than one with a much slower pace, one that could be considered boring?

If it's going to come down to a bad action show versus a bad SOL, I'm pretty sure I'd pick the action show.
Sep 13, 2014 12:28 PM

Oct 2009
san_sevieria said:
Can you create a fully developed world and an intricate plot without creating plot holes? That's one of the major challenges in writing good stories, and to put it mildly, not everyone could do it. R.R. Martin, Tolkien and other prolific sci-fi and fantasy writers have come to be so famous because they're good at what they do: creating worlds that you can immerse yourself in and avoiding things that will break immersion, like plot holes.

Anyways, even though you're entitled to your opinions, you should probably give them more thought before belching them out or you might end up looking like a fool, unless that's your goal (points to your profile picture).

you are just mad that you have shit taste
Sep 13, 2014 12:36 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:37 PM

Oct 2009
Dark_Chaos said:
san_sevieria said:

Plot holes don't mean you can't enjoy something. Is it really that hard to comprehend that he'd rather watch an exciting action packed show than one with a much slower pace, one that could be considered boring?

If it's going to come down to a bad action show versus a bad SOL, I'm pretty sure I'd pick the action show.

you forgot one important fact - TC is a psuedointellectual who thinks about having "deep and meaningful" conversations with women at seedy hole-in-the-wall bars LOL
Sep 13, 2014 12:41 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:43 PM

Oct 2009
san_sevieria said:
RandomChampion said:

Yea, whatever floats your boat, doesnt bother me. This topic is just amusing since the TC thinks that anybody who likes fan-service, moe, ecchi, etc are immature and lack self-respect. That's like saying anybody who likes anime is immature and lacks self-respect.

san seviera doesnt really know what he's talking about with regards to the attention span thing, either. SSY is far from a slow show lol. In my case, it had nothing to do with attention span, and more to do with with the premises of the show, as I've said before

Re-read the part I've bolded. You've just demonstrated the very problem my original post pointed out, that people equate anime with "fan-service, moe, ecchi, etc". That's the central theme I've been driving at in this thread...

I know what you wrote.

You dont understand what I wrote, though.

I'm not saying anything about anime being equated with moe, fan service, etc.

I'm saying that you equating moe, fan service, etc. with immaturity and lack of self-respect is nothing more than you on your high horse. Unless you can provide me with evidence that moe, fan service = immaturity and lack of self-respect
RandomChampionSep 13, 2014 12:49 PM
Sep 13, 2014 12:54 PM
Sep 2014
Sep 13, 2014 12:55 PM

Oct 2009
san_sevieria said:
RandomChampion said:

I know what you wrote.

You dont understand what I wrote, though.

I'm not saying anything about anime being equated with moe, fan service, etc.

I'm saying that you equating moe, fan service, etc. with immaturity and lack of self-respect is nothing more than you on your high horse. Unless you can provide me with evidence that moe, fan service = immaturity and lack of self-respect

At this point you're just trying to salvage your argument. What you said and what I said was pretty clear. I'm not playing your game. Think of it as you will.

finally someone on mal admits when he loses
Sep 13, 2014 1:37 PM

Mar 2014
san_sevieria said:
mayukachan said:
@san_sevieria:
Oh yes, I've read that before. Looks like the reviewer didn't have the patience to watch it tbh What I liked was the subtly of the show. If you watched it and caught onto all the little bits and pieces (foreshadowing), then the end result would be much more fulfilling as it does make sense and everything's pieced together. The lack of explanation is what made it better.

idk man, I've read a fair amount of dystopian novels before watching SSY and it really outdid itself. I see you have high expectations for an anime, but is 2/10 really a suitable rating for SSY or is it just hate? I agree that some of the characters were plot devices but it was used to drive it forward. The plot is not unfocused or forced. It's subtle and written well. I felt as if it was intentionally "unfocused" as in for first time viewers, we wouldn't be able to find the clear ending or goal of it but everything was laid out so that it seamed together in the end.

To add to that, SSY suffers from a problem that is not related to the show itself, but more related to the attention span of the average viewers who are trying to figure out whether they want to spend the 8-9 hours on this particular show: it starts relatively slow. The hook, line, and sinker of the show is its ending, not its beginning, and that really hurts it as a TV series.

People are really used to anime/manga that catches your attention in the first few episodes, and that has created a trend where shows/anime tend to go downhill after 4-5 episodes, after it has grabbed your attention and you've become invested (Zankyou no Terror seems to be on that path, even though the latest episode seems better than the last few).

It therefore comes as no surprise that people aren't used to the relatively slow pacing.

EditL @sullynathan: your signature gif has made typing this response a challenge... it was right above the reply box. Now your gif is stuck in my head...

My sig is a beautiful lady
Sep 13, 2014 1:38 PM

Jul 2012
sullynathan said:

Subjective. 0/10 wouldn't bang
Sep 13, 2014 1:55 PM

Jan 2014
san_sevieria said:
keragamming said:

I never said that SSY is perfect and beyond criticism. In fact, I even said that it isn't perfect in the analogy I presented. Nothing can be perfect when subjectivity is involved.

It seems that you are yet to see FMA, One Piece, Code Geass, Steins;Gate and RuroKen. Those are the definition of perfect.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 13, 2014 1:56 PM

Jul 2012
^ You do realize he has nothing on his MAL, right?
Sep 13, 2014 1:57 PM

May 2014
i blocked his sig with adblock plus

i would die without adblock
Sep 13, 2014 2:11 PM

Mar 2014
mayukachan said:
sullynathan said:

Lol. My sig is a joke. I knew most people in MAL would be irritated by it. I only put it because MAL constantly takes down all my other signatures and threatened to ban me
Sep 13, 2014 2:49 PM

Oct 2013
OnlyTemporary said:

What manga is your avatar from?
Sep 13, 2014 2:52 PM

May 2014
keragamming said:
OnlyTemporary said:

oyasumi punpun
Sep 13, 2014 2:52 PM

Sep 2012
sullynathan said:
mayukachan said:

Lol. My sig is a joke. I knew most people in MAL would be irritated by it. I only put it because MAL constantly takes down all my other signatures and threatened to ban me

You have one of the most badass avy in MAL, it annoys me a bit to see you also have one of the shittiest sig.
SetsukoHaraSep 13, 2014 4:13 PM
Sep 13, 2014 3:02 PM

Oct 2013
OnlyTemporary said:
keragamming said:

oyasumi punpun

Oh, thnx. I'm still only at chapter 1 of that series.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you use Character.ai to chat with your waifu?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

13 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - Yesterday

37 by JaniSIr »»
5 minutes ago

» What makes Anime different from Cartoons ?

tchitchouan - 4 hours ago

29 by Lhundrup »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list?

Cammell - 2 hours ago

23 by weebtoge »»
8 minutes ago

» show me your anime 3x3 ( 1 2 3 )

707supremacist - May 5

114 by tmoverbeck »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.