Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2014 1:14 AM
Aug 2014
I've looked at hundreds, thousands, possibly over 9000 threads & discussions on what to watch first without a definitive answer.

Note: I will NOT watch/read the Visual Novel. I will NOT watch DEENs Fate/Stay night adaption and their UBW movie

I am only going to watch Fate/Zero and the upcoming Fate/Stay Night 2014. Which should i watch first and second.

Also, tell me if the Heavens Feel movie plays a role in watching order (but i wont include this in the poll, just tell me in the comments)
Aug 31, 2014 1:20 AM

Mar 2014
release order is best.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Aug 31, 2014 1:23 AM

Apr 2013
if you're not gonna watch the old stay/night, then watch /zero first and wait for /night 2014
/zero comes first in the timeline anyway, so /night is the sequel now that they're doing a remake.
I see no reason to watch /night first
Aug 31, 2014 1:26 AM

Jul 2013
No, first you read the VN (too bad/deal with it) then you watch F/Z then go about your normal business accordingly
Aug 31, 2014 1:30 AM

Nov 2012
Just watch them all in release order and judge for yourself. DEEN's adaptation of F/SN is a perfectly serviceable anime and its hate is blown way out of proportion, especially if you're not going to even read the VN. You're not going to care about the differences from the original story anyway since you won't even know what they are.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Aug 31, 2014 1:38 AM

Jul 2014
If you love yourself and humanity, watch Fate/Zero first and wait for the Fate/Stay Night upcoming remake.

If you love Hitler, shitposting, or just enjoy kicking kittens, watch Fate/Zero and then watch the old Fate/Stay night.
Aug 31, 2014 1:46 AM

Apr 2013
Aerodust said:
If you love yourself and humanity, watch Fate/Zero first and wait for the Fate/Stay Night upcoming remake.

If you love Hitler, shitposting, or just enjoy kicking kittens, watch Fate/Zero and then watch the old Fate/Stay night.

pls, they're not even in your list. Honestly the original stay/night isn't that bad...it's just popular to hate it, or so it would seem. Doesn't matter anyway because OP stated he won't watch it
Aug 31, 2014 1:51 AM

Apr 2013
According to Urobuchi Gen himself in the Fate/zero novels, Fate/zero was written to be read AFTER playing the visual novel. So much that for a long time, he refused for fate/zero to be published by a publishing company, keeping fate/zero as doujinshi, published privately, only available by type/moon.
THat's because he didn't want people that didn't know fate visual nvel to start reading it randomly. It wasn't written with that idea in mind.

He later changed his opinion on this, after he saw that there was still people who got into the fate franchise from Fate/Zero and accepted it to be released along with an anime adaptation of it.

Having read the novels, I would personally agree with him that it's better to start with the original fate story, meaning, in case of anime, by something adapting the visual novel, and THEN, Fate/zero afterward.
It is definitely possible to start by fate/zero. just, you aren't going to enjoy it the same I would say.

BTW, I may have misread something, but I thought that the new Fate series wasn't adapting the same "road" as Deens' Fate stay night, but UBW's road instead.
If that's the case, then watching the new series replace UBW's movie (which you are right to NOT watch no matter the case, as this movie is horrendous ), and not DEENs FSN.

Also, I find the idea of watching F/Z first "because it's more enjoyable" or "because it's chronological order" just ridiculous. What's the point. If you watched Haruhiseries episodes, Kara no Kyoukai's movies, and Jinrui wa suitai shimashita in chronological order, you're doing it wrong, plainly. And one condition ImO for F/Z to be more enjoyable is prior knowledge of some characters and of the Fate verse. If you starts with F/Z, you won't have that. It's not impossible to start with it, but this kind of makes the point of "because it's more enjoyable" moot if you watch it in an order lowering the possibility to enjoy it, right.

As final notes, don't search for F/zero in my watchlist, as I only read the original LN on this one. I don't feel the need to watch its animated version. Maybe one day, who knows. But LN or anime, I don't think that this change anything about the best watch/read order.
Also, like someone said above, DEENs' FSN isn't half as bad as some people say it is. People who played the original visual novel may find it poorly executed, I understand that. But from my point of view, as someone who didn't play the original VN, it wasn't bad and was pretty enjoyable most of the time. I'm sure that when I'll watch Fate/zero in anime, I'll find it badly adapted as well. Why, because that story clearly wasn't made with anime adaptation in mind. They probably had to remove a lot of important scene due to them not being "proper" scenes in anime industry. And judging by the opinion of people who both read and watched it, it's indeed the case. So, on that point it may be even, maybe even worse on the Fate/zero side.
ZefyrisAug 31, 2014 2:06 AM
Aug 31, 2014 1:57 AM

Jan 2011
F/SN is always meant to be seen first.
Aug 31, 2014 1:59 AM

Oct 2013
No contest F/Z then F/SN cause of chronological order :P

Nahh F/Z is good so watch that first, F/SN still haven't watched that yet but MC is a prick so I don't have high hopes.
Aug 31, 2014 2:02 AM

Jul 2014
Sh4de said:
Aerodust said:

pls, they're not even in your list. Honestly the original stay/night isn't that bad...it's just popular to hate it, or so it would seem. Doesn't matter anyway because OP stated he won't watch it

Implying I list everything I watch. Also, nowhere did I state that the original F/SN is bad. I didn't mind it at all.
Aug 31, 2014 2:08 AM

Apr 2013
Aerodust said:
Sh4de said:

Implying I list everything I watch. Also, nowhere did I state that the original F/SN is bad. I didn't mind it at all.

well the way you presented it was a bit misleading xD. I'd have thought someone with 287 posts would've taken the time to update his list, sorry
Aug 31, 2014 2:16 AM

Sep 2013
Zefyris said:
snip

^Pretty much this.

Sure, you can watch FZ first, but please don't be surprised if you're left hanging with a huge amount of questions. Release and author's intended order are usually the way to go.

S73v0 said:

Nahh F/Z is good so watch that first, F/SN still haven't watched that yet but MC is a prick so I don't have high hopes.

What a dumb logic. You haven't experienced FSN yet, but the MC is a prick. Classic case of having no idea what you're talking about.

And since when is chronological order always the right way? Do I watch Infernal Affairs 2 first because it plays before Infernal Affairs 1? No, I don't. FZ is a prequel that is meant to be experienced after, a prequel doesn't automatically mean you should watch it first, you can watch it first. I bet you would just mindlessly recommend Kara no Kyoukai in chronological order, without ever having heard of it.
CapsuleCoreAug 31, 2014 2:30 AM
Aug 31, 2014 2:45 AM

Aug 2009
Speaking of cancerous threads....
Those people aside...

@Zefyris
FSN from Deen lacks proper characterization and portrayal of key events and ADDS random filler that make no sense to VN readers or not.
FZ lacks "fanservice" scenes and one character's backstory and both dont mess the overall story.
The old tv series is almost as bad as the movie, what saves it is that there is some basic transition between scenes.
Aug 31, 2014 8:42 AM

Jul 2007
This thread and posts here can officially give cancer.

There's no way anyone sane would recommend to watch Fate/Zero first because F/0 SPOILS the majority of FSN plotlines.

Either wait till october for remake(and then HF since HF requires other routes to be understood) or read the VN...ONLY THEN watch fate/zero.

S73v0 said:

CHronological order means jack shit when one work spoils the other. FSN is meant to be experienced first. Fate/Zero is the complementary material to it.

Aerodust said:

Except that doing so would completely spoil majority of plotpoints in FSN remake, as well as FSN HF movie franchise that will come after it.

And half of fate/zero stuff will only get a "WTF just happened" from you because all the explanations are in FSN.

Watching Fate/Zero first is NEVER good idea.

Sh4de said:
if you're not gonna watch the old stay/night, then watch /zero first and wait for /night 2014
/zero comes first in the timeline anyway, so /night is the sequel now that they're doing a remake.
I see no reason to watch /night first

No, FSN is not "sequel". Fate Zero is the prequel.

Zero coming first makes no sense since it spoils majority of FSN plotlines and you NEED knowledge of FSN to fully understand what the fuck is going on in Zero. Kinoko Nasu outright demanded the studio to NOT treat it as a "Sequel to Fate/Zero" but as its own work, preserving the intended watching order.
AhenshihaelAug 31, 2014 8:49 AM
Aug 31, 2014 10:46 AM

Jul 2013
aaron216 said:
I've looked at hundreds, thousands, possibly over 9000 threads & discussions on what to watch first without a definitive answer.

Well first, you--

Note: I will NOT watch/read the Visual Novel. I will NOT watch DEENs Fate/Stay night adaption and their UBW movie

I am only going to watch Fate/Zero and the upcoming Fate/Stay Night 2014. Which should i watch first and second.

Oh look, you answered your own question as to why you haven't found a satisfactory answer yet.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Aug 31, 2014 10:52 AM
Sep 2007
Watch Fate/Zero anime first because it came out before new Fate/Stay night adaptation that isn't even out yet.
Aug 31, 2014 10:56 AM

Aug 2009
Yeah everyone.Fuck the narrative and the authors' words.
Aug 31, 2014 11:29 AM

Nov 2013
Zefyris said:
According to Urobuchi Gen himself in the Fate/zero novels, Fate/zero was written to be read AFTER playing the visual novel. So much that for a long time, he refused for fate/zero to be published by a publishing company, keeping fate/zero as doujinshi, published privately, only available by type/moon.
THat's because he didn't want people that didn't know fate visual nvel to start reading it randomly. It wasn't written with that idea in mind.

He later changed his opinion on this, after he saw that there was still people who got into the fate franchise from Fate/Zero and accepted it to be released along with an anime adaptation of it.

Having read the novels, I would personally agree with him that it's better to start with the original fate story, meaning, in case of anime, by something adapting the visual novel, and THEN, Fate/zero afterward.
It is definitely possible to start by fate/zero. just, you aren't going to enjoy it the same I would say.

BTW, I may have misread something, but I thought that the new Fate series wasn't adapting the same "road" as Deens' Fate stay night, but UBW's road instead.
If that's the case, then watching the new series replace UBW's movie (which you are right to NOT watch no matter the case, as this movie is horrendous ), and not DEENs FSN.

Also, I find the idea of watching F/Z first "because it's more enjoyable" or "because it's chronological order" just ridiculous. What's the point. If you watched Haruhiseries episodes, Kara no Kyoukai's movies, and Jinrui wa suitai shimashita in chronological order, you're doing it wrong, plainly. And one condition ImO for F/Z to be more enjoyable is prior knowledge of some characters and of the Fate verse. If you starts with F/Z, you won't have that. It's not impossible to start with it, but this kind of makes the point of "because it's more enjoyable" moot if you watch it in an order lowering the possibility to enjoy it, right.
^ THIS.
Thank God I don't need to rant.

Zefyris said:
As final notes, don't search for F/zero in my watchlist, as I only read the original LN on this one. I don't feel the need to watch its animated version. Maybe one day, who knows. But LN or anime, I don't think that this change anything about the best watch/read order.
Also, like someone said above, DEENs' FSN isn't half as bad as some people say it is. People who played the original visual novel may find it poorly executed, I understand that. But from my point of view, as someone who didn't play the original VN, it wasn't bad and was pretty enjoyable most of the time. I'm sure that when I'll watch Fate/zero in anime, I'll find it badly adapted as well. Why, because that story clearly wasn't made with anime adaptation in mind. They probably had to remove a lot of important scene due to them not being "proper" scenes in anime industry. And judging by the opinion of people who both read and watched it, it's indeed the case. So, on that point it may be even, maybe even worse on the Fate/zero side.
The point is, DEEN's anime destroys the protagonist's character so much, and the VN being ALL ABOUT the protagonist, most people don't accept it. Even people who never read the VN find the anime mediocre and most of the high votes it gets that I've seen it get is because people love the romance in it..
Aug 31, 2014 11:48 AM
Sep 2007
Shiro is so bad character that it doesn't matter which adaptation we're talking about.

And when I say bad, I mean Homura from Madoka series level bad character.
KleferiAug 31, 2014 11:59 AM
Aug 31, 2014 11:56 AM

Aug 2009
You know that from "reading" the first part of Fate route.
Good to know.
Aug 31, 2014 12:06 PM

Nov 2013
Psajdak said:
Shiro is so bad character that it doesn't matter which adaptation we're talking about.

Yes it does matter when bad becomes shittiest of shit unlikable garbage.

At least in the VN he was simply just bad and that's it. DEEN took it to a new level entirely.
Aug 31, 2014 12:15 PM
Sep 2007
@ Botato: http://myanimelist.net/anime/356/Fate/stay_night

Over 3800 favorites.

Not that I'm taking number of favorites on MAL as something deciding, but that's a lot of people who could get over Shiro to enjoy this series.
Aug 31, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2009
Botato said:
Psajdak said:

At least in the VN he was simply just bad and that's it. DEEN took it to a new level entirely.

You actually think Shirou is a "bad" character? I disagree. He's probably the most fascinating of the bunch.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 31, 2014 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
Psajdak said:

Not sure if trolling or just really bad taste.
Aug 31, 2014 12:20 PM

Aug 2009
Psajdak said:
@ Botato: http://myanimelist.net/anime/356/Fate/stay_night

Over 3800 favorites.

Not that I'm taking number of favorites on MAL as something deciding, but that's a lot of people who could get over Shiro to enjoy this series.
This implies that everyone hates Shirou and thinks he is a bad character.
He is also ranked 3 in te male popularity poll of Type Moon characters.
#1 place is Archer

and #2 is the freaking DNA of Shiki Tonho.
Those 2-3 people beat "everyone's" beloved Iskandar and other "great" characters.
ssjokgAug 31, 2014 12:27 PM
Aug 31, 2014 12:23 PM
Sep 2007
JabonHR said:

I tried really hard to like both Shiro and Homura.
In the end, the only thing I found good about them were their voice actors.

Aug 31, 2014 12:28 PM
Aug 31, 2014 12:28 PM

Jul 2013
Psajdak said:
JabonHR said:

Oh, well. At least we can agree Noriaki Sugiyama is a god among voice actors.

Or something along those lines.
Aug 31, 2014 12:30 PM

Aug 2009
JabonHR said:
Psajdak said:

Oh, well. At least we can agree Noriaki Sugiyama is a god among voice actors.

Or something along those lines.
When the char is a crying emo bitch no.

We are lucky that Shirou isnt edgy like Sasuke, so the acting is a bit different.
Aug 31, 2014 12:31 PM

Nov 2013
insan3soldiern said:
Botato said:

You actually think Shirou is a "bad" character? I disagree. He's probably the most fascinating of the bunch.
No I don't think that.
I was trying to make a point only.
Aug 31, 2014 12:33 PM

Jun 2009
I see, I didn't think so. Your wording just kind of confused me, I guess.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 31, 2014 12:34 PM

Jul 2007
Botato said:
Psajdak said:

Even Fate shirou is great character. He might not be as strong as the other two but:

Stuff like that makes him almost as good as the other two and DEEN ruined that.
Aug 31, 2014 12:38 PM

Nov 2013
insan3soldiern said:
I see, I didn't think so. Your wording just kind of confused me, I guess.
Yeah my bad.
I mean, I didn't want to go into an argument as to why he is a good character, so I just "agreed" that he is bad and argued that DEEN is much, much worse.

Fai said:
Botato said:

Even Fate shirou is great character. He might not be as strong as the other two but:

Stuff like that makes him almost as good as the other two and DEEN ruined that.
Except for certain bad ends where Shirou is a fucking moron, ALL Shirous are great characters.
Aug 31, 2014 4:52 PM

Oct 2012
Right order should be novel route 1,2,3, (insert DEEN if you wish) and then F/Z but but with F/SN 2014, it should be 1.F/SN novel Fate route (but everyone is spoiled on everything already), 2.F/SN UBW 2014, 3.F/SN HF movies 2015/2016 (as there is certain important thing that is spoiled right away in first ep of F/Z) and only after them F/Z.

I really don't know why people still don't understand when we say that first episode of F/Z spoils almost everything.

Botato said:
Except for certain bad ends where Shirou is a fucking moron, ALL Shirous are great characters.

I disagree. Ero-scenes Shirou is such a dick.
Mich666Aug 31, 2014 4:59 PM
Aug 31, 2014 4:53 PM

Jul 2013
Mich666 said:
Botato said:

Not as bad as Sir Rapesalot Shiki Tohno.
Aug 31, 2014 5:02 PM

Oct 2012
JabonHR said:
Mich666 said:

Haven't played Tsukihime yet but I heard A LOT of "stories" about him :]
Aug 31, 2014 5:05 PM

Sep 2013
Seriously, Shiki is a true dick no pun intended, really in bed. Shirou seems like a gentleman compared to Shiki, and I'm talking about the guy who jackhammered Rin.
CapsuleCoreAug 31, 2014 5:17 PM
Aug 31, 2014 5:11 PM

Mar 2013
Read the FSN VN (all 3 rooms), then watch the F/Z anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 31, 2014 8:07 PM

Feb 2014
JabonHR said:
Mich666 said:

To be fair

Aug 31, 2014 8:21 PM

Nov 2013
TM threads as classy as ever I see.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Yesterday, 4:02 AM

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

13 by Ain2Zwei »»
Apr 15, 4:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.