Forum Settings
Forums

Yen Press Announces New Light Novel Imprint 'Yen On'

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 20, 2014 10:26 AM

Aug 2008
>Inudex

30 or so books of unbearable preaching, useless girls that just keep acumulating in Toma's harem, underdeveloped "characters", ridiculous plot twists with neither development or payoff.

Good luck with this turd, Yen press.
Apr 20, 2014 10:29 AM

Aug 2009
_Yamainu said:
>Inudex

30 or so books of unbearable preaching, useless girls that just keep acumulating in Toma's harem, underdeveloped "characters", ridiculous plot twists with neither development or payoff.

Good luck with this turd, Yen press.

I bet you havent read them at all.
Apr 20, 2014 10:55 AM

Apr 2013
Mecasonic said:
Guess I'll buy DanMachi since the manga is pretty decent. Won't bother with Index since I've already read it and Another's plot use a really terrible plot device to work so I'll avoid it as well.

ssjokg said:
So a good work will never get an official english release because notes are not professional enough....And I dont see how notes would hurt anyone in general.

Notes disrupt the reading flow since you have to shift your attention from the text to the bottom of the page (or even worse, to the end of the book) and then back to where you were reading, for most of the time just a random bit of inconsequential trivia.
And a joke that can only being understood with a translator's note stops being a joke; at least by putting an equivalent joke that doesn't need a note to be understood you preserve the spirit of the original work, whereas by sticking to what the original text says you end up removing the joke itself and ironically end up going against the original intent.

Agreed on both points.

Mecasonic said:
Zefyris said:
Lol, that one is even longer than Index+NT together. No way they'll buy the license of such a huge series... Why not guin saga while you're at it x].

There has been an actual release of Guin Saga in several languages (French, English, German and a few others IIRC). It doesn't go past volume 5 for any of them though.

Yes, but that's not the same as publishing the whole series x]. And as you know, translating 5 volumes of guin saga doesn't even equal translating 2 volumes of Horizon in term of number of pages.

Mecasonic said:
Zefyris said:
BTW, no one said anything about this, but the first thing they did in their new LN label was to put a title which isn't a light novel in their LN line up. xD

Another isn't supposed to be a light novel :3. I heard it was a pretty good book, so it's a good thing to see it translated though.

Well, its 2nd re-publication was in Kadokawa Sneaker Bunko, so you could say it started as a non-light novel and then became a light novel later.

Oh? I know about several examples of novels that were published again afterward in a LN label (as well as the contrary), but I completely missed that one. On amazon.co.jp, another is only available under kadokawa bunko, which aren't LN.
Apr 20, 2014 11:33 AM

Jul 2007
xHoneythief said:

Though it is unlikely, I hope they get the Monogatari series and Shinsekai Yori.

Shinsekai Yori English release would make me the happiest person alive.
Apr 20, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2010
While I'm glad Index is getting a physical release, I like js06's translations and will be sad to see them taken off B-T. Please don't let this affect New Testament.

Apr 20, 2014 1:20 PM

May 2007
I am already grabbing their Haruhi and Spice and Wolf releases so Index could be a third.

This does give me hope for more series(Durarara, Baccano, Monogatari, dare I dream Full Metal Panic past Second Raid)
My anime list
Apr 20, 2014 1:30 PM

Aug 2010
Index? AHHHHHHH YESSS! Those will be mine!

Also very happy for Accel World, since the anime probably won't get a second season!
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Apr 20, 2014 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
I wish that they'd release Oreimo or Marimite!

Apr 20, 2014 4:32 PM
Nov 2013
Would have rather had something like Jinrui, but this is a start I guess. While we're adding non-LV's like Another, Hyouka or NHK would be bitchin' too.
Apr 20, 2014 5:09 PM

Nov 2012
Still have yet to read any Light Novels, maybe this will be an initiative to start.
Apr 20, 2014 5:29 PM

Jun 2011
I will be buying all 3 of those light novel releases.

I already bought the digital copy of Another on the pc kindle but i want a physical copy so i will buy it.

I have always always always wanted a physical copy of Index in English so will definitely buy them every time they are released i just hope they release them with a decent pace.

I have also been reading the manga version of Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka and it has been pretty good so i will also be buying that as well and look forward to reading it.

I have also been holding off buying the Spice and Wolf novels because i wanted to read them all at once when they were finished being released but with the hype from these 3 new releases i do not think i can take it anymore and will end up buying all the ones released so far very soon.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Apr 20, 2014 7:00 PM
Mar 2009
I just hope they get to Sword Art volume 13 in the next two years...

Alicization is SO MUCH better than Mother's Rosario and Phantom Bullet and whatever crap happened in between. Ugh, gonna have to wait forever just to continue the story where Baka-Tsuki took it down.
Apr 21, 2014 12:46 AM

Jan 2013
i kinda let out an inhuman noise as i saw this, thinking "what if index"

AND THERE IT IS

MAMA HEAR ME NOW, IT'S HAPPENIN'!
Please check my music out on SoundCloud! There's something for everyone.

Apr 21, 2014 1:45 AM
Feb 2012
CinnamonHime said:

Dark Horse Comics have already licensed Oreimo, manga wise. So far they have released 4 volumes.
AlphaDeltaZetaApr 21, 2014 1:49 AM
Apr 21, 2014 1:52 AM

Oct 2013
One of the best news for LN fans. I know that Baka-Tsuki already tl'd OreGairu vol. 6- , but I really hope they bring that one as well.
Apr 21, 2014 2:55 AM

Nov 2011
AlphaDelta said:
CinnamonHime said:

Dark Horse Comics have already licensed Oreimo, manga wise. So far they have released 4 volumes.

Yeah, but the art style is so awful that I just can't read it :P

Apr 21, 2014 3:01 AM

Nov 2011
This is awesome and cool to see they picked up Index.

Happy to see we're getting a lot more stuff localized, games, manga, anime, etc. have been coming over a lot more it feels like in comparison to years before.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 21, 2014 3:21 AM

Aug 2009
ChronosXIII said:

Alicization is SO MUCH better than Mother's Rosario and Phantom Bullet and whatever crap happened in between. Ugh, gonna have to wait forever just to continue the story where Baka-Tsuki took it down.

I dont know about that.Alicization was the first arc I took long breaks between chapters.
Apr 21, 2014 4:56 AM

Jul 2010
I don't really care for Index at all but I suppose this is good news, if this works/sells it means more LN will have a chance of getting an official traslation :)
Apr 21, 2014 5:08 AM

Jun 2011
ssjokg said:
ChronosXIII said:

I dont know about that.Alicization was the first arc I took long breaks between chapters.

When i was reading the Sword Art Online novels i read up till the first novel of the Alicization arc (as far as it was translated then) and i found the first book of the Alicization arc to be pretty boring and i have unfortunately not caught up since then so i do not know if it gets better but i did not think much of the first one of the arc.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Apr 21, 2014 5:43 AM

Aug 2009
Slicer22 said:
ssjokg said:
ChronosXIII said:

When i was reading the Sword Art Online novels i read up till the first novel of the Alicization arc (as far as it was translated then) and i found the first book of the Alicization arc to be pretty boring and i have unfortunately not caught up since then so i do not know if it gets better but i did not think much of the first one of the arc.
I liked the world of the "game",how and what the "NPCs" are but I wasnt interested in the story.
Apr 21, 2014 5:54 AM
May 2012
phoenixalia said:
Tengai said:
Light novels are not my thing though.

phoenixalia said:
So will this only have LNs aimed at males?

I guess there isn't enough of a market for LNs targeting females like Saiunkoku Monogatari, Earl and Fairy and the like. :/

What a shame...

Ah well, more reason to hurry up and learn Japanese.

How to speak it is kinda easy to learn, but how to write it is a nightmare!!!!

More than writing, I want to learn how to speak and read it. I'm learning right now and if its easy enough, I can understand 40% of what's going on in a manga. But LNs are full of kanji and much harder to read. :/

How to read it is kinda hard too. Well, good luck!!
Apr 21, 2014 7:35 AM

Dec 2011
R4vel said:
I know that Baka-Tsuki already tl'd OreGairu vol. 6- , but I really hope they bring that one as well.

Given that Index was one of the fastest and most well-regarded translations on the site, I doubt Yen Press are paying much attention to that.

BUT OreGairu is not published by Kadokawa or Softbank or Square Enix, but by Shogakukan (as is Jinrui, which someone else mentioned). In other words the company that owns Viz Media. I would expect that, if anything, would be the main obstacle to Yen Press getting their hands on the series.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 21, 2014 12:11 PM

Apr 2010
Light novels, light novels EVERYWHERE!

When are we gonna get translations of real novels? FFS, I'm still waiting for the third Yukikaze novel, "Unbroken Arrow" to come to the U.S.!
Apr 21, 2014 1:07 PM

Dec 2011
AICW said:
Light novels, light novels EVERYWHERE!

When are we gonna get translations of real novels? FFS, I'm still waiting for the third Yukikaze novel, "Unbroken Arrow" to come to the U.S.!

'real' novels get translated a heck of a lot more often than light novels do.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 21, 2014 3:19 PM

Mar 2012
The issue with Index is that if they go with the release schedule they have for their other novels, it'll take over five years before they get to New Testament. In that time, 15+ more volumes of New Testament may be released (if Kamachi goes that far with NT)....

Well, I'll still buy 'em when they're out in stores and I'm glad that B-T is deciding to keep up the SS Volumes and New Testament on its site.
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Apr 22, 2014 2:15 AM
Oct 2012
Just hope we get good quality translations. I remember reading the first volume of Shakugan no Shana and finding the quality unbearable. Some things don't translate well directly to English, and they don't pay close attention to the intensity of the words that they use.
That said, things are looking up for the possibility of Durarara, Baccano, Monogatari and Legend of the Legendary Heroes releases. Those are ones I want to see most, but there are a few others. Glad that Accel World is getting a release; I'll be buying that.
Apr 22, 2014 3:42 AM

Aug 2009
CreationBreaker said:
The issue with Index is that if they go with the release schedule they have for their other novels, it'll take over five years before they get to New Testament. In that time, 15+ more volumes of New Testament may be released (if Kamachi goes that far with NT)....

Well, I'll still buy 'em when they're out in stores and I'm glad that B-T is deciding to keep up the SS Volumes and New Testament on its site.

Five years looks good to me.Not great, just "not so bad".

And that is great news from BT.
Apr 23, 2014 10:57 AM

Nov 2008
need to catch with index before it gets deleted from baka tsuuki
Apr 23, 2014 11:00 AM

Aug 2009
Mr_Gutts said:
need to catch with index before it gets deleted from baka tsuuki
Why dont you just download the pdfs?
Apr 23, 2014 1:30 PM

Jun 2013
Yeah
Apr 26, 2014 5:36 AM

Feb 2013
I'm overjoyed that they decided to bring over Index but at the same time really worried. The index series is not as popular as SAO and in extension Accel world. They should have chosen a better timing like when season 3 comes or during the airing of railgun S. I just hope it does well enough to be considered a financial success. Wonder if I should buy two copies. One of myself and the other for a friend.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Overlord: Sei Oukoku-hen' Movie Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer, Fall 2024 Premiere

Doshigatai - Mar 22

5 by Entity72 »»
1 hour ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
11 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.