Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 10, 2014 11:44 PM
Jul 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gen_Urobuchi

Curious on your thoughts. He's a pretty important man in this industry, and for perfectly justified reasons.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 10, 2014 11:55 PM

Dec 2012
Ah, that explains why my recent watch of Fate/Zero was so damn satisfying. It's actually amazing how he's able to pump out so much tragedy without coming off as some grim dark "life is pain - wear black and red" that was the angstiest of teens.
Mar 10, 2014 11:57 PM
Sep 2011
To quote TV Tropes

[ Urobuchi Gen is all about angsty sad stories. He is also definitely on the side of those who consider happy stories to be unrealistic, to the point where he has suggested that Lighter and Softer stories, by definition, contradict the laws of nature and are therefore difficult to write and impossible to believe.

"I have nothing but contempt for the deceitful thing men call 'happiness', and find myself with no choice but to push my characters, whom I pour my heart and soul out to create, into the abyss of tragedy." ]

If this is true, than I can't say I have a lot of respect for the guy. I don't believe there's anything more "real" about a story ending tragically, and it's pretty unsatisfying when everything the story has built up is for nothing.

If he is indeed getting over his "tragedy syndrome" than more power to him.
Mar 10, 2014 11:59 PM

Nov 2012
he wrote fate/zero so he's cool in my book
Mar 11, 2014 12:00 AM

Jun 2012
RLinksoul said:
To quote TV Tropes

[ Urobuchi Gen is all about angsty sad stories. He is also definitely on the side of those who consider happy stories to be unrealistic, to the point where he has suggested that Lighter and Softer stories, by definition, contradict the laws of nature and are therefore difficult to write and impossible to believe.

"I have nothing but contempt for the deceitful thing men call 'happiness', and find myself with no choice but to push my characters, whom I pour my heart and soul out to create, into the abyss of tragedy." ]

If this is true, than I can't say I have a lot of respect for the guy. I don't believe there's anything more "real" about a story ending tragically, and it's pretty unsatisfying when everything the story has built up is for nothing.

Yeah I don't agree with the stuff he says here, but I did like Fate/Zero. And as that's all I've seen from his works, he's 1/1 so far.
Mar 11, 2014 12:06 AM

Mar 2008
Not the biggest fan of his anime works so far (Psycho-Pass being the most interesting), but his stories are always 'adventurous', and that at least makes him a cool guy in my books.

His writing on Kamen Rider Gaim has been quite delicious.

RLinksoul said:
To quote TV Tropes

[citation needed]
Mar 11, 2014 12:06 AM

Jan 2013
Fate/Zero, Madoka..
Also Saya no Uta.
Yep, he's good. He hasn't done anything that I can say is definately a masterpiece. But he's good..
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 11, 2014 12:08 AM
Dec 2013
I like him enough to not hate him or love him.
Mar 11, 2014 12:08 AM

Sep 2013
"I will kill your favorite characters and there's nothing you can do about it"

-Gen Urobutcher.
This is a signature.
Mar 11, 2014 12:18 AM

Jul 2011
Saya no Uta, Fate/Zero, Madoka Magica & Psycho Pass, the man has made some great stuff. I'm a fan of the Butcher.
Mar 11, 2014 12:27 AM
Sep 2011
Ckan said:
[citation needed]

https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Fate/Zero:Volume1_Full_Text#Urobuchi_Gen

Here's a translation of the afterword of the Fate/Zero light novel's first volume, where he was quoted as saying such.
Mar 11, 2014 12:27 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
He's my favorite JP writer so.. yes? Wholeheartedly yes.
Madoka and Saya especially but F/Z is no slouch either.
Mar 11, 2014 12:32 AM

Jan 2013
ran614 said:
"I will kill your favorite characters and there's nothing you can do about it"

-Gen Urobutcher.
Kill 'em all Tomino v2.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Aug 2011
Saw title, saw who OP was and guessed he was watching Fate/Zero or Pyscho-Pass, turns out he is watching both.

I've loved everything I've seen from the guy so far, so I'm on the like side of the equation.
Mar 11, 2014 12:33 AM

Jan 2011
i liked Psycho Pass, Fate Zero an Phantom, i dont think they are masterpieces though
Madoka was ok, havent seen Blassreiter yet
Mar 11, 2014 12:35 AM

Apr 2007
So I saw this thread and thought, 'man, I bet Sung-Hwan just started Fate/Zero or something, his threads are always easy to predict' and lo, I was right.
Mar 11, 2014 12:36 AM

Jan 2011
I haven't seen anything by him I didn't like yet, so yeah awesome work.
Mar 11, 2014 12:36 AM

Dec 2012
No.
Mar 11, 2014 12:41 AM

Jun 2009
Seeing his name in the staff list does increase my chances of picking up the show, so yes I guess.

Not quite Satou Junichi, Okada Mari or Jun Maeda, but he's not bad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2014 1:07 AM

Jan 2013
Seeing that I like the majority of his works, yes I do.
Mar 11, 2014 1:29 AM

Jan 2010
If I could give him a rating, I'd give him an 8.5/10. He's not necessarily a favorite writer of mine, but he's definitely someone I keep an eye out for. At his best, he writes some seriously great stuff. At his worst, there's at least visible thought and effort put in.
Mar 11, 2014 1:37 AM
Jul 2013
Shocked said:
If I could give him a rating, I'd give him an 8.5/10. He's not necessarily a favorite writer of mine, but he's definitely someone I keep an eye out for. At his best, he writes some seriously great stuff. At his worst, there's at least visible thought and effort put in.

What is "his worst?" Curious.
Mar 11, 2014 1:52 AM

Jan 2010
Sung-Hwan said:
Shocked said:

I haven't read/watched all of his works mind you, but I didn't think highly of Psycho-Pass. Yet, I could still recommend it to others. Watching it really made me realize how much I don't know about the world, much less anime. By all means, it's a fantastic show full of great ideas. It's an unforgiving indictment of the attempt at a flawless judiciary system, where its futuristic utopia, much like many others, depict a world where the high rises and bright lights cover up the vulgar darkness that lies underneath. It makes great effort at being complex and thoughtful, at times overstepping its boundaries as entertainment and becoming a seminar on social theory. This is not bad by any means, as it has introduced me to names (Max Weber, Kazuhiko Hasegawa, and Philip K. Dick to name a few) that I wouldn't have known otherwise.

It still didn't work for me though. I enjoyed it, but I felt as if it could had gone a step further in its absurdity. Psycho-Pass explored a multitude of ideas and dropped a lot of references that make for great learning opportunities, but while it had great breadth, it didn't have depth in its explorations. On one hand, it lets people get curious about the references and read up on them on their own. On the other hand, I wished that the show could have stuck to only a few ideas and explored them more deeply. And...That's as far as I can go. While I'd like to dig into Psycho-Pass and figure out what makes it tick, I can't without first looking into people like William Gibson or José Ortega y Gasset. Pretty much, it's a show that seems to insult me in a classy way, and while I'm kind of offended, I can't help but appreciate the method it came across.
ShockedMar 11, 2014 1:57 AM
Mar 11, 2014 2:01 AM

Sep 2013

I haven't seen it but I heard that Gargantia is not as good as his previous works.

However, between Madoka Magika and Fate/Zero (which are his two works I've seen) I'd say Madoka Magika? I didn't really enjoy it that much.
ran614Mar 11, 2014 2:26 AM
This is a signature.
Mar 11, 2014 2:06 AM

Apr 2012
madoka, fate zero, phantom, psycho pass were all very good watches from Gen

Suisei no Garugantia was disappointing but still watchable :3.

Looks like he also wrote the novels for Black Lagoon. +1

8/10 ~

Mar 11, 2014 2:10 AM

Mar 2008
ran614 said:
I haven't seen it but I heard that Gargantia is not as good as his previous works.

However, between Madoka Magika and Fate/Zero (which are his two works I've seen) I'd say Madoka Magika? I didn't really enjoy it that much.
Gargantia was only partially written by him (eps 1 & 13), but he was credited for 'Series Composition', so who knows how much of it is his work.
Mar 11, 2014 2:40 AM

Sep 2012
Yes, I like him.
Mar 11, 2014 2:55 AM

Jan 2014
Great ideas within an above average show, he's cool.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2014 4:49 AM

Dec 2012
By far my favorite anime writer, bar none.

RLinksoul said:
To quote TV Tropes

RLinksoul said:
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Fate/Zero:Volume1_Full_Text#Urobuchi_Gen

Here's a translation of the afterword of the Fate/Zero light novel's first volume, where he was quoted as saying such.

The wording in this version is a bit better:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Quotes/PuellaMagiMadokaMagica

But this is my favorite quote of his actually, and definitely the one that's most memorable to me because of what it says about his life in relation to the works he has written. Gen wrote this back around 2006 when he had started out on writing Fate/Zero. It's absolutely not a coincidence that 5 years after that when Madoka aired, you can see some elements in the story that directly reference what he wrote in this passage. Madoka, more than what is already in the show itself, is also his answer to that afterword. Understanding what the message of PMMM meant in response to that quote is personally the most meaningful thing I've learned from my time watching anime.
daedroth4Mar 11, 2014 4:58 AM
Mar 11, 2014 4:55 AM

Apr 2012
Absolutely not. He writes interesting premises with sloppy, poorly paced stories to go with them. His writings have a bunch plot holes and asspulls. Each character he writes is very underwhelming too.

After watching Madoka, Psycho Pass, and Gargantia, I can safely say I'm never going to watch another show where he's the writer.

It's pretty astonishing how he gets so much credit for "killing his characters" when this is nothing new to anime in general.
DurbikinsMar 11, 2014 4:59 AM
Mar 11, 2014 5:24 AM

Mar 2009
I don't really care about staff responsible for anime but considering I only liked one show that he did I'd say I don't like him.
Mar 11, 2014 5:28 AM

Oct 2012
Out of all the works I've seen of his I think they're at least above average.

Mar 11, 2014 5:48 AM
Oct 2010
Phantom was ok.

Psycho Pass was also ok but very disappointing. It got very predictable and the quoting was just obnoxious.

Madoka was great, one of my favourites

Fate/Zero was great, but the ending should have been explained a little better.
Mar 11, 2014 6:30 AM

Sep 2013
skudoops said:
Phantom was ok.

Psycho Pass was also ok but very disappointing. It got very predictable and the quoting was just obnoxious.

I think Fate/Zero's ending was planned. Or rather it was supposed to end like that since there is Fate/stay night. He's saying "I can make this show good but remember this is a prequel so whether you like it or not, the ending will still be like this since a sequel was made ages ago."
This is a signature.
Mar 11, 2014 6:33 AM

Jul 2012
Saya No Uta was a really good visual novel. And Madoka was an enjoyable show, so, yeah.
Mar 11, 2014 6:37 AM

Mar 2008
ran614 said:
I think Fate/Zero's ending was planned. Or rather it was supposed to end like that since there is Fate/stay night. He's saying "I can make this show good but remember this is a prequel so whether you like it or not, the ending will still be like this since a sequel was made ages ago."
I think that's an awkward explanation/excuse. Of course Urobuchi was restricted to a certain ending by fact of being a direct prequel, however one can surmise that there was more to the story than what we got in the anime, and that's what hurt the ending.

To expand: it seems to me, that in order to condense the story into anime form, much worthwhile and meaningful exposition from the novels was cut out, and that's what brought Zero down a notch from something absolutely amazing to 'so very pretty and stylishly interesting'.
Mar 11, 2014 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
His works are meh. And he's one ugly bastard.

Psycho Pass was his best work, and it was just a Blade Runner/Ghost In The shell ripoff.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage
Mar 11, 2014 6:51 AM
Oct 2010
ran614 said:
skudoops said:
Phantom was ok.

From what I read Fate/Zero's ending was

which honestly traps him a bit, but still it should have been explained.
Mar 11, 2014 6:51 AM
Oct 2010
MajinSaga said:

Psycho Pass was his best work, and it was just a Blade Runner/Ghost In The shell ripoff.

Maybe GITS but bladerunner? :s
Mar 11, 2014 7:35 AM

Jan 2010
MajinSaga said:

It was more closer to Minority Report.
Mar 11, 2014 7:54 AM

Nov 2013
I think a lot of his work is focused on the concepts of tragedy, or a dark story. The major problem I have with this (which applies pretty much across the board for anime) is that none of it is really that dark. I'm sure I'm going to get some people throwing titles at me in opposition to this claim, but I can say with relative conviction (based on my relatively well sampled palette) that most anime is remarkably lacking in dark undertones. It's gotten to the point where I find myself out right laughing at most of the "tragic" scenes, because I feel like it's the kind of material a person who has never experienced misfortune would say "Wow, that's so #sad." I even felt a lot of Psycho Pass which is often hailed for it's "darkness" didn't really go as far as it could. Anyway, that's my two cents rant, which summarizes with if Gen Urobuchi's stories are supposed to be some of the darkest, and I find them extremely lacking, then I find Gen Urobuchi lacking as an author as well.
Mar 11, 2014 8:10 AM

Sep 2012
Yes.

Especially if it spites the South Park Goths who hate everything popular, like everyone else on this page. Don't believe me? See all those reaching really far to "prove" how much he "sucks", like insulting his appearance. Wow, that isn't immature at all.
UnculturedWhiteyMar 11, 2014 8:18 AM
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Mar 11, 2014 9:27 AM

Nov 2012
Yes, but Psycho-Pass was pretty meh imo, compared to Madoka and F/Z.
Mar 11, 2014 9:30 AM

Jul 2011
I liked Madoka
I'm indifferent to Fate/Zero.
So i guess neutral
Mar 11, 2014 9:31 AM
Dec 2013
He's made some pretty cool stuff, so yeah.
Mar 11, 2014 9:33 AM

Jun 2008
I like him. Though I personally want less tragic endings in his stories.

Suisei no Gargantia had loads of potential - I wish it gets a second season.
Mar 11, 2014 9:37 AM

Jul 2013
Based on what I'd seen I thought he could do no wrong until 2013...and I'm not referring to Gargantia either.
Mar 11, 2014 9:37 AM

Mar 2008
Tachii said:
Well, some form of a sequel is in the works.
Mar 11, 2014 9:42 AM

Nov 2012
Tachii said:
I like him. Though I personally want less tragic endings in his stories.

He only did the first and last episode of that iirc.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

59 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
46 seconds ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Yesterday

67 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 9 hours ago

29 by Jackson1333 »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

66 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 3 hours ago

24 by EverRealm »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.