Forum Settings
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
Jan 2, 2014 12:00 PM
Jun 2012
Still not sure what the issue is. But oh well. The important thing is that Haruhi and Kyon still share the memory of Tanabata three years prior.

-Arvis
Jan 2, 2014 2:47 PM
Dec 2013
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
Still not sure what the issue is. But oh well. The important thing is that Haruhi and Kyon still share the memory of Tanabata three years prior.

-Arvis

Why Haruhi remembers the Tanabata but Koizumi doesn't remember his powers?
Jan 3, 2014 12:12 PM
Jun 2012
robertogl said:
Arvis_Jaggamar said:

-Arvis

Ah, I see the issue now. There are any number of possible explanations (Koizumi's memories are more easily altered than Haruhi's, strength of emotion affects strength of memory, Kyon Slider Alternate Dimension nonsense, Koizumi still has his powers but keeps them secret, etc) but it would be nice to have official word. Likely it's just an oversight on the author's part.
I'll wager this guess: the events of Tanabata are what caught the Data Integration thought Entity's attention in the first place, and Nagato needed to leave that memory alone in order keep her reality alteration stable. *shrugs*

-Arvis
Jan 3, 2014 12:38 PM
Dec 2013
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
robertogl said:
Arvis_Jaggamar said:

-Arvis

Ah, I see the issue now. There are any number of possible explanations (Koizumi's memories are more easily altered than Haruhi's, strength of emotion affects strength of memory, Kyon Slider Alternate Dimension nonsense, Koizumi still has his powers but keeps them secret, etc) but it would be nice to have official word. Likely it's just an oversight on the author's part.
I'll wager this guess: the events of Tanabata are what caught the Data Integration thought Entity's attention in the first place, and Nagato needed to leave that memory alone in order keep her reality alteration stable. *shrugs*

-Arvis

Yes, it is possibile, but Nagato clearly says that the change had a range of one year. She could add something, I think it's just a problem that the author has not considered, but the story holds the same (you can find various excuses).
(In the novel Kyon also says that is thanks to the one year-variation that Haruhi remembers the Tanabata.)
Jan 6, 2014 6:52 AM
Jun 2012
Then perhaps it's just a matter of having the power to make Koizumi and others forget, but not powerful enough to make Haruhi forget.

I'm sure if I wanted to think hard enough about it, I could find all SORTS of issues with why Asahina is just a normal girl who thinks nothing of being in the present day with seemingly no recollection of living in the distant future, even though only a year of her memories have been altered.

-Arvis
Jan 6, 2014 9:28 AM
Dec 2013
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
Then perhaps it's just a matter of having the power to make Koizumi and others forget, but not powerful enough to make Haruhi forget.

I'm sure if I wanted to think hard enough about it, I could find all SORTS of issues with why Asahina is just a normal girl who thinks nothing of being in the present day with seemingly no recollection of living in the distant future, even though only a year of her memories have been altered.

-Arvis

Yes, the problem is that if we solve one thing with a theory, we have another problem. (Why Asahina is here? If the change had a range of one year, why she doesn't remember the time travel? If the change had a range of 3 years, why she is here?)
Jan 10, 2014 10:40 PM

Oct 2013
i come just to finish the movie and i read some commentary about the alter memory and im pretty agree with you all, there is some illogical things that happened but i think the movie was not bad overall. at least its so far better that the season 2( where i got totally killed by it)

p.s i never seen a movie of 2hr45 for a anime, probably they were trying to do correctly the arc and trying to make a excellent story because of bad feed back of the season 2, i could pretty say its a success from their part
Jan 13, 2014 3:45 PM

Apr 2013
After the torture called "season 2" this movie worked like medicine ^_^
Always-HungryJan 13, 2014 3:49 PM
Jan 19, 2014 2:53 PM

Feb 2013
Wow that was long... but that's way better than being too short like most anime movies.

The prologue was a bit boring, but it was solid after the "disappearance".

It was nice seeing long-hair-Haruhi again. It's been so long since I watched the series... this left me trying to remember those references during the time travel. @_@
Jan 31, 2014 11:58 PM

Dec 2012
This was really meh and forgettable. I only even continued watching through this boring, bland and mind numbing movie because I didn't have a lot of anime in my HDD and I'm out of the country and can barely get a stable internet connection.

Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I actually liked a single character. It was interesting to hear Sugita in a mostly serious tone though.

6/10
Feb 3, 2014 8:15 AM
Jun 2012
tsudecimo said:
This was really meh and forgettable. I only even continued watching through this boring, bland and mind numbing movie because I didn't have a lot of anime in my HDD and I'm out of the country and can barely get a stable internet connection.

Maybe I would have appreciated it more if I actually liked a single character. It was interesting to hear Sugita in a mostly serious tone though.

6/10

It sounds like you didn't watch the series. :(
Still, you could have and still not liked anybody. That's possible. There's no accounting for taste.

-Arvis
Feb 10, 2014 4:44 AM

Jan 2012
Arvis_Jaggamar said:
tsudecimo said:

6/10

It sounds like you didn't watch the series. :(
Still, you could have and still not liked anybody. That's possible. There's no accounting for taste.

-Arvis

That's true, but if you really don't watch the series, there's no context, so you really have no legitimate way of judging the series effectively.

I enjoyed the series, but the movie was something else. Finally, time skips done right...
Lemme smang it girl.
Feb 11, 2014 4:41 PM

Jun 2013
This movie was great. To be honest, I found the series really meh (for me), but this movie is on a whole new level. Very very good. Loved it!
Feb 12, 2014 10:36 PM
Jan 2014
Just finished it. Overall 9/10; the plot was a lot to take in but it was understandable. Movie added so much more character depth to Nagato and Kyon... I guess its' foreshadowing Nagato's eventual development of human emotions......aka love for Kyon :D

Kyon X Nagato FTW!
Feb 15, 2014 8:33 PM

May 2013
This movie was excellent plot-wise, watching it made me remember some scenes from Stein's Gate(my favorite anime). A solid 10/10.

A critique of mine is the fact that Kyon and Haruhi are so hush hush about their love for one another but hey, what can I do.
Feb 17, 2014 6:58 AM
Jun 2012
avengersaint said:
A critique of mine is the fact that Kyon and Haruhi are so hush hush about their love for one another but hey, what can I do.

Yes, thank you! Drives me up the wall! At one point I was SO frustrated with the two of them that I even wrote a fanfiction about how they finally get together. It was very cathartic for me.

-Arvis
Mar 3, 2014 6:41 AM
Jul 2018
So when I started watching this series I found the first season to be quite interesting but the 2nd season was a let down I would say atleast. The Endless Eight part was what really tipped me off.

Well because of that I delayed the movie and kept pushing it further away and today I just got around to watching it.

It was pretty average I was hoping to see a bit more romance with this but I guess not. All and all I think there should be a 3rd season or a followup movie with romance then I think I might be sold on the series but for the time being the movie gets a 8/10 from me and the total franchise gets 8.5/10
Mar 13, 2014 10:56 PM

Sep 2011
Loved this movie as it had the person I liked the most as pretty much the main char and reason behind the whole thing. The movie was pretty good and it honestly didn't even feel like 2 hrs 40 mins had gone by. Great movie, and hoping for a sequel. 9/10.
Mar 17, 2014 7:38 AM
Jun 2012
JetNZ said:
Yuki was kind of hot in this movie. She can grab my shirt any time.

Because of your pic, my mind read this in Spike Spegel's voice. It was pretty cool.

Yuki definitely made me fall for her in this film. That moment Kyon hands the Lit Club application back to her just destroyed me. And I am a Haruhi x Kyon shipper all the way, too. While Yuki could never overcome my great love for Haruhi, I definitely have feels for her now.

-Arvis
Mar 28, 2014 9:39 AM
Feb 2009
I'm still wondering what Asahin-san whispered to Kyon in the bench
and this has to be my fav scene
Apr 1, 2014 10:21 PM

Sep 2013
Well, I don't get the romance in this anime. I was expecting Kyon x Haruhi the whole series, but in the end the best moments (IMO) were with Nagato. The "under the tree" and the kissing scenes weren't near as good as the roof scene or other sublime moments between them. I bet I only bumped this movie to a 7 because of the Kyon x Nagato scenes, since I couldn't buy a lot of stuff in the plot and in the series, I guess.

Anyway, I still don't get the whole over the top hype about this show. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad (well, second season is), but it's not near as good as people claim it to be... at least that's what I think.
Apr 16, 2014 4:54 PM

Aug 2013
SPOILER in following comment

Idk if this was discussed already (i'm sure it has but i couldnt be bothered to search :P) but I understood the story up until Kyon was about to fire the dart gun on Nagato...Why did Asakura reappear, hadnt Kyon already left that distorted time space where everything was "normal"? And besides, wasn't the Asakura of that time line unaware of being a homicidal alien (unless she was faking it)?

Also, did he catch Nagato when she was in the process of changing the time space? But in that case how was his stab wound healed and transported to the hospital? Nagato wouldn't have the power to do so...Unless it was Asahina that found a way to transport him somehow? Could it have been the other Kyon he saw before passing out that fixed the whole ordeal?

Diid he really end up falling down the stairs and the whole ordeal was a dream from being unconscious? Or is there something I'm missing?

Bottom line, this ending leaves me totally confused, but it's still an impressive movie.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 17, 2014 4:17 AM
Nov 2013
I loved this movie!

The pacing was slow but it was necessary. It made me enjoy the series and the characters in it a lot better.

Kyon's narration in the seriew was a bit annoying sometimes. Hiis change in character made it a lot better for me.

Oh, and Yuki was so cute :3
Apr 17, 2014 7:44 AM
Jun 2012
ExiledZebra said:
Or is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, it kinda seems like you're missing a lot. You should re-watch that scene, all your answers are there.

Also: there's always the novels. They explain everything quite well and are totally awesome.

-Arvis
Apr 17, 2014 8:23 AM

Apr 2014
Great Movie! I'm not to fond of anime movies but this one was brilliant 10/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2014 2:05 PM
Oct 2013
Amazing.... that's the only thing I can think of right now.
May 12, 2014 6:42 PM

Jan 2014
the art and animation in this movie is superb.. pretty good for a 2010 movie
Recommend me an anime
May 12, 2014 6:44 PM
Feb 2014
great movie 10/10 simply amazing

btw 99.5% of Muslims don't celebrate Mohammed's birth(finally got it out of my system)
May 30, 2014 1:13 AM

Feb 2013
Do you think at the end when Kyon was talking about going back in time one day to correct the future for Nagato, they were actually hinting at a break before the new series, because they said something along the lines of "It may be a while until we go back in time, but we will do it, just let me have a taste of haruhi's cooking." and its been roughly 4 years, so should we expect it in the near future? (Haruhi must of cooked lots of food ;D)
Jun 16, 2014 10:49 PM

May 2013
DAMN. This was a masterpiece by all means. Perfect.
Jun 17, 2014 5:11 AM

Mar 2010
Was great. love the knife scene.
Jun 23, 2014 11:32 PM

Nov 2013
why the fuck was this so good?
Jul 1, 2014 1:35 PM
May 2013
Great movie , it got me hooked up after 20 minutes although I'm not into movies .
Human Nagato is cute .
I wish there was another season ...
Oh yeah I forgot , Haruhi with long hair > regular Haruhi .
Jul 2, 2014 9:40 AM

Dec 2013
In my opinion, One of the best Anime Movies ever.
I was hooked up at the screen for all of the 161 minutes. 10/10
Jul 8, 2014 5:06 PM

Jun 2013
That was a hell of a ride, Nagato was super cute in this movie. Haruhi really does look great with a ponytail. There was some pretty cool twists and turns thought out the movie as well. 10/10
Jul 27, 2014 3:56 PM
Sep 2013
KyoAni movie style never disappoint me..

and yeah, lovely right from the start to the finish
Jul 29, 2014 12:39 AM
Jan 2009
open this threads again

iloveyou yuki!!!!
but im so sorry about her
Aug 29, 2014 6:15 PM
Jun 2014
Just recently watched this. I watched the series first, which I thought was solid, but not amazing. But this movie was one of the best anime movies I've seen. For such a long movie (2 hours 40 mins), it certainly doesn't feel that long. Great movie, but you absolutely have to watch the series first.
Aug 30, 2014 9:19 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
TakezoKensei said:
tingy said:

I don't know if it helps or not, but you might be pleased to know that this actually marks a pivot in Kyon's relationship with Nagato, as we see in the later novels of the series.

After this, he does everything in his power to allow her to be as normal as possible, to be as emotionally free as possible, and he stops relying on her like he once did(which is half of what caused the movie in the first place -- Kyon's over-reliance). He dosen't really blame her at all, and beautifully acknowledges that this was partialy his fault. Him and Nagato's boss.
Not only that, but it's only after Dissapearance that Kyon really starts developing some incredibly deep feelings for Nagato herself, but that's off-topic.

I mean, really, Nagato was desperate, and that roof-top scene is so beautiful because it concludes that with Kyon not only choosing the Nagato he knows, and understanding her pain, but threatening her boss, just so that she could continue to exhibit emotions, because the Data Entity sure can't do shit to her now.
In the end of the movie, I can't feel tooooo bad for Nagato, because after seeing Kyon promise her that he'd never let her go like that, and putting his coat over her, she kinda gets what she wanted in the normal world: care, consideration, understanding, and the ability to be emotional. without having to completely alter her own personality.

Beautiful scene. Beautiful movie.

Wow after more than one year I decide to revisit this thread only to see someone had actually replied me on the same day :(

But yes, this info does please me. Now I'm interested in reading the LNs! I'm glad to know that this incidence causes Kyon to change, after all, I complained a little about the little character development Kyon got after season 2.
Aug 31, 2014 8:30 PM
Nov 2013
Just re-watched the series followed by the movie and I actually really like the series and movie in particular. You really have to feel bad for Yuki and the fact that she really does deserve to be able to feel and have emotions just like anyone who isn't a humanoid intermediary of the thought entities. Glad Kyon finally realized just how special she had actually become and all the positive things that the relationships he had forged really meant to him. Probably won't be a third season, but the show is good enough to warrant one in my opinion, provided they learn to never do something like the endless eight again.
Sep 4, 2014 5:54 AM

Oct 2013
I've concluded after this movie that the Haruhi Suzumiya series is a harem. I can't decide which of the three girls Kyon would be better with...

Seriously though, great movie. I liked Yuki well enough previously, but I've come to respect her a fair bit more after this film. It was painful to watch "human" Yuki's interactions in the film... she looked so shy and so lonely. Her reactions to Kyon were adorable, but I don't think I could've tolerated seeing her looking so lonely like that for good. It was just heartbreaking!

Kyon's talk with himself near the end of the movie was also fantastically done and improved my already high opinion of him.

Like always, though, Itsuki is still mah main bro.

Man, I really hope more of the light novels get anime adaptions.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Sep 21, 2014 6:57 AM

Dec 2013
Definitely waaaay better than the average series.
Yuki showing emotions was aweosme. Long-haired Haruhi was so pretty. OST was amazing.
But I don't get how Kyon saved the world .. He got stabbed and then suddenly he wakes up in the real world wtf
Oct 5, 2014 8:43 AM

Sep 2013
Amazing movie 9/10, wonderfully done. Will there be another season? Is the story finished in the novels?
Oct 8, 2014 1:15 AM

Sep 2014
Holy shit, this was so much better than the show. I'm glad I tanked my way through the parts that I absolutely hated just to see this movie
Oct 28, 2014 5:27 PM

Jul 2012
8/10. A lot better than both seasons of the TV series and every character was more likable, especially Haruhi herself. The cinematography was excellent although I think it needed more scenes (like the last one on the rooftop).
Nov 7, 2014 10:32 PM
Aug 2014
It's because of this film alone that I have such a high opinion of the series before it. On their own they were good, but nothing that stood out much. But my God... this movie was near perfect in so many ways, and makes every second of the series worth while! (Possibly with the exception of the Endless Eight arc, but that's another discussion)

This may be one of those movies I get around to watching ever or ever other Christmas season. Solid 9/10, no questions asked!
Dec 12, 2014 12:40 PM

Jan 2012
Movie was really good better than anime both s1 and s2 (finally some good action at the end)
a lot of your unanswered confused questions about Haruhi anime are answered

Dec 23, 2014 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
I am so glad I actually watched the season 2 before watching this movie. Finally getting to see this movie all on a sudden the ENDLESS EIGHT looks like a fitting stage for the movie. Imagine Nagato being on standby for years and then she also had to go through the 595 years doing the same thing all over again all the while remembering each and every loop. Remember Kyon noticing how bored she looked and how he tried to put himself in Nagato's shoes going through the same ordeal more than 15,000 times.

The final setting was absolutely brilliant and when Nagato nodded her head on the roof top and said "Thank You" to Kyon it showed that she has definitely developed emotions.

A true masterpiece. I really think to truly enjoy the movie, one has to watch both season 1 and season 2. Because it helped me enjoy the movie more, particularly the episodes of season 2.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 24, 2014 1:21 AM

May 2014
Wow. That was seriously fantastic. It makes me want to raise my scores of s1 and s2 by 1 each =p

Absolutely loved it! Makes me want more. I need the questions answered!

10/10 from me.
Dec 24, 2014 9:34 PM

Jan 2013
This is like my third viewing of the movie since it's Christmas toady :DD

Still love it. The art is amazing, as always (you go, KyoAni!), and it was good to see developments, especially the subtle emotion build-ups. I usually don't sit through credits, but today I did and noticed the end scene in the library.

That was cute :3

9/10
Pages (21) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Who is your favorite girl?

Shizuna - May 24

21 by melody_melon23 »»
May 26, 12:40 PM

» Kyon's decision (spoilers)

NDskies - Sep 19, 2023

17 by honyax »»
Feb 25, 1:41 AM

» Haruhi Suzumiya will have an official announcement soon…

Yuri_Niji - Dec 17, 2023

18 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 12, 2:51 AM

» Wow that was a great movie!

Zoopiez - Jun 28, 2022

18 by anizawa89 »»
Nov 29, 2023 3:11 PM

» This movie is Amazing

randomuser47 - Feb 26, 2023

19 by Recprocate »»
Sep 24, 2023 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.