Forum Settings
Forums

[Possible Spoilers] Most Overrated/Underrated Character

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »
Aug 23, 2014 5:05 PM

Aug 2013
I think [b] ARMITAGE [/b] is underrated.

She has been favorited by a mere 74 Mal members. I think the reason she is so underrated is because she is completely overshadowed by the major from GITS. Armitage has a really fun, bubbly personality, is possibly as strong or stronger than the major from GITS and she underwent very considerable character development in Dual Matrix. I personally didn't like how she changed in Dual Matrix but I have to admit the development was good. To me she felt like a completely different character in Dual Matrix.
Aug 23, 2014 5:12 PM

Apr 2013
Celestrial2 said:
shinpachi and kondo from gintama

only 200 favorites. why.

Madao is the most underrated Gintama character.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Aug 23, 2014 5:13 PM

Dec 2012
ScazoN said:
This queen is underrated. *_*

+1
Aug 23, 2014 5:18 PM

Oct 2012
Celestrial2 said:
shinpachi and kondo from gintama

only 200 favorites. why.

No one likes a tsukkomi, or hairy asses.
Aug 26, 2014 4:12 AM
Dec 2013
Soichiro Yagami from Death Note is the most underfavourited character on MAL. 47 MEMBER FAVOURITES?! THAT'S IT?!

wildhoodAug 26, 2014 4:37 AM
Aug 26, 2014 4:42 AM

Mar 2012
JumpinJackCrash said:
Soichiro Yagami from Death Note is the most underfavourited character on MAL. 47 MEMBER FAVOURITES?! THAT'S IT?!

Not many on MAL appreciate cool dad.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 27, 2014 8:31 PM
Dec 2009
Overrated:

Sora (NGNL)- Watching an arrogant character always win by pulling random moves out of his ass without any explanation is not what I would consider fun.

Koyomi Araragi (Bakemonogatari) I noticed he's on many people's favorites list and I don't get it. He's a typical, self-insert harem lead with no special qualities beyond his immortality and he's freakin' useless throughout most of the show. He only serves to be Hitagi's punching bag and nothing more. Why wasn't Meme the lead instead?

Hinata (Naruto)- Her whole life revolves around Naruto! Such a one-dimensional character...

Underrated:

Temari and Kankuro (Naruto)- Remember Gaara's siblings? They're just as cool as their lil' bro! It's a shame that they don't get much screentime because when they do, it's such a treat because they're always kickin' ass and takin' names!

Hoozuki (Hoozuki no Reitetsu)- I'm shocked this guy isn't more popular. He's such a boss! And DAT death stare...mmmmmmm.

Meme Oshino (Bakemonogatari) - Now this guy knows his shit! Seriously, he should have been the harem lead! He's waaaaaay cooler than that little bitch Araragi...
Aug 27, 2014 10:10 PM

Feb 2014
NeoAnkara said:
JumpinJackCrash said:

Light included.
Soichiro was a rather unimportant side character after all. Not enough impression even though he was cool.
Aug 27, 2014 10:40 PM

Aug 2014
Yugo Hachiken is the most underrated protagonist of 2013 and possibly the last couple of years as well.
Aug 27, 2014 10:45 PM
Jul 2013
idk op.

i guess like uh naruto is overrated and sasuke is underrated
Aug 27, 2014 10:48 PM

Nov 2013
NeoAnkara said:
JumpinJackCrash said:

Gendo Ikari was better & cooler dad.
Signature was not removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Tulip & Flower Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2014 5:34 PM

Jan 2014
Overrated: Kamina, This guy is the definition of what I despise, I mean I could see him getting like 4,000-5,000 favs, but 12,565? That's ridiculous

Underrated: Gon, Don't know why Killua has more favorites than him, Gon has a bright happy personality, but serious when it matters.
Aug 30, 2014 4:38 AM

Mar 2012
Temoze said:
NeoAnkara said:

Gendo Ikari was better & cooler dad.

He is way cooler.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 30, 2014 4:53 AM
Mar 2014
robis798 said:
Overrated: Kirito - has over 11000 favorites... He is too overpowered for no reason, has 0 traits that makes him likeable and interesting, though every girl that sees him wants to hump him. Even little girls.

0 TRAITS THAT MAKE HIM LIKEABLE???? I doubt that's Possible Bro
Cyber_BluezAug 31, 2014 12:16 AM
Aug 30, 2014 5:15 AM
Jul 2014
Cyber_Bluez said:
orithyea said:
Overrated: Kirito - has over 11000 favorites... He is too overpowered for no reason, has 0 traits that makes him likeable and interesting, though every girl that sees him wants to hump him. Even little girls.

There don't seem to be any that make him stand out, at the very least.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 30, 2014 5:38 AM
Mar 2014
AnarchicSloth said:
Cyber_Bluez said:

I was referencing his statement "0 TRAITS THAT MAKE HIM LIKEABLE" which i find not only inaccurate,but borderline impossible
Cyber_BluezAug 31, 2014 12:16 AM
Aug 30, 2014 5:51 AM
Jul 2014
Cyber_Bluez said:
AnarchicSloth said:

I was referencing his statement "0 TRAITS THAT MAKE HIM LIKEABLE" which i find not only inaccurate,but borderline impossible
I know. I merely said that none of his "likable" traits make him stand out.
I'M GONE NOW
Aug 30, 2014 7:02 AM

Nov 2013
orithyea said:
Botato said:
Well maybe, JUST MAYBE, he is liked and up-voted by LN readers because in the LN he's nothing like he is in the anime?

but he isn't any different aside from the omission of his monologues from the anime
And that's like the difference between an empty shell and an actual character.
Sep 1, 2014 3:03 PM

Oct 2013
Iktoro99 said:

Here's actually an outstanding and interesting villain and yet he only has 173 favourites? Come on!

The world needs moaaar Adachi

It's probably because of how retarded he looks.
Sep 1, 2014 3:09 PM

May 2013
keragamming said:
Iktoro99 said:

Here's actually an outstanding and interesting villain and yet he only has 173 favourites? Come on!

The world needs moaaar Adachi

It's probably because of how retarded he looks.

That and he was basically a spoiled brat who didn't like it when he didn't get his way in life.
Sep 1, 2014 3:46 PM
Mar 2012
LOLninja said:
Overrated:

Sora (NGNL)- Watching an arrogant character always win by pulling random moves out of his ass without any explanation is not what I would consider fun.

Koyomi Araragi (Bakemonogatari) I noticed he's on many people's favorites list and I don't get it. He's a typical, self-insert harem lead with no special qualities beyond his immortality and he's freakin' useless throughout most of the show. He only serves to be Hitagi's punching bag and nothing more. Why wasn't Meme the lead instead?

I'll start with Araragi...how is he a self-insert? One, you need to actually look-up what that means and what it entails when you accuse a character of being one. Two, Araragi is not one.

I can say with confidence that I wouldn't do 90% of the things he does in the the series, BUT I can see why you might claim he's shallow because he acts perverted in a harem series and this is what the audience wants to do etc. etc. However, that claim ignores the fact that he is very much aware of what he is doing and when he is being inappropriate most of the time. He understands that he's making jokes with these characters (such as his 'dirty talks' with Kabaru and his conversations with Hanekawa) and they are also aware that he's just being funny, so they play along. If you truly believe that he is a useless character (despite the fact one of the main plots of the series is his development to adulthood) then you have failed to understand the basic premise of Bakemonogatari and the subsequent series. The fact that you can only see the surface of his character would make me already think that.

As for Sora...well I can see why you would dislike him, but it comes down to preference. Also there's the fact that, whilst seeing characters struggle is enjoyable, sometimes I just want to see an overpowered character kick some ass - having to wait x episodes for every character to grow gets tedious if you're watching a lot of long series, characters like Sora are a breath of fresh air in that regard. Also, you can't really say they don't explain anything,like half of every episode was explanation of what happened.
Sep 1, 2014 3:48 PM

Mar 2013
^ I didn't read what you wrote but you're probably taking things too seriously.

Not that anime isn't serious business.
Sep 1, 2014 3:49 PM

Nov 2012
fst said:

anime is serious business for some people (otaku, nijikon, hikki :p )
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Sep 1, 2014 4:51 PM

Apr 2014

After watching MSSS, I realized that Kaiki is better than Araragi by far, Araragi is just your usual harem lead...
Sep 1, 2014 4:56 PM
Mar 2014
fst said:

>assuming ppl are taking things too seriously because of long text
Sep 1, 2014 5:51 PM

Jul 2013
In regards to Adachi I doubt there are very many video game characters with high favourites (discounting VNs that get adapted). I think Dante and Cloud are the highest maybe? I can't remember.
Sep 1, 2014 8:01 PM

Jun 2012
Frieza is pretty underrated. One of the best villains in mainstream shonen and he can't even get 150 favorites </3
Sep 1, 2014 11:10 PM

Nov 2013
Kaimon said:
Frieza is pretty underrated. One of the best villains in mainstream shonen and he can't even get 150 favorites </3
No. Because of the fucking 5 minutes.
Sep 1, 2014 11:21 PM

Aug 2013
Kaimon said:
I agree but he actually has 178 favorites. Also Cell should have more than 200.
Sep 2, 2014 4:15 PM
Dec 2013
Oops. Yeah I meant Naru.
Sep 2, 2014 4:16 PM

Jun 2012
Botato said:
Kaimon said:
No. Because of the fucking 5 minutes.

In the manga it actually felt like it was around 5 minutes, Toei is always fuckin' shit up
Sep 3, 2014 10:25 AM
Dec 2013
Always felt that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin was underrated, with only 75 member favourites. The kid is a resilient underdog. Hell, he even has his own Wikipedia article in the English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My%C5%8Djin_Yahiko

Nefertari Vivi from One Piece feels underrated too, with only 86 member favourites.
wildhoodSep 3, 2014 11:51 AM
Sep 3, 2014 10:28 AM

Feb 2010
JumpinJackCrash said:
Always felt that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin is underrated, with only 75 member favourites. Dude is a resilient underdog. Hell, he even has his own Wikipedia article in the English Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My%C5%8Djin_Yahiko

He's pretty cool, but I think there are just too many more memorable characters in Kenshin that take away some of his votes.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 3, 2014 10:52 AM

Nov 2010
over/underrated opposed to what? my foot?

there is no way to compare or check how "popular" a character is... as they don't have a rating system like anime/manga has. and so is this game is just one total biased cesspool!

just like the original topic this is based of was... now people actualy try to discuss it. this topic? you could just rename the damn thing to "wich character do you think sucks the most"

and so it's all subjective...
Sep 3, 2014 11:23 AM

Sep 2013
Overated (in comparison to other characters in the show): Oskar von Reuenthal.

What's so good about him? I found his character to be cool in the start (ermeghard, his eyes are from two different colors :O) but then... oh silly boy.

I liked

Mittermeyer >
OBERSTEIN >
Sep 3, 2014 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
JumpinJackCrash said:
Always felt that Yahiko from Rurouni Kenshin was underrated, with only 75 member favourites. Dude is a resilient underdog

Went from a tag-along kid to a full fledged party member to a a top tier in the verse, Yahiko's pretty great, not even having 100 favorites is sad
Sep 3, 2014 11:27 AM

Apr 2014
This guy is underrated, only 55 Fave.
Sep 6, 2014 6:11 PM

Jul 2013
fst said:
Jack_Noir said:
Bernard Wiseman

This guy is beyond underrated.

He's a fucking hamburger. Are you telling me hamburgers are underrated?

I will never be able to eat a hamburger the same way again..
Sep 6, 2014 7:29 PM

Aug 2014
overrated - alucard. gayest and most overpowered character with worst style in anime history. red suit and glasses, blah...

but even worse is dante (DMC). a cheap failure copy of alucard. even worse style, even more gay and even more ratshit. almost justin biebers level shit...
but why peoples are mistaking me with trolls so often?
Sep 6, 2014 7:36 PM

Nov 2013
Trollbenger said:
but even worse is dante (DMC). a cheap failure copy of alucard. even worse style, even more gay and even more ratshit. almost justin biebers level shit...
There's a special place in hell for people like you.
Sep 6, 2014 7:39 PM

Sep 2011
fst said:
Jack_Noir said:
Bernard Wiseman

This guy is beyond underrated.

He's a fucking hamburger. Are you telling me hamburgers are underrated?
ahh i see war in the pocket is for meat lovers and zeta gundam is for vegetarians.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 6, 2014 8:30 PM

Jan 2014
FloatsBoats said:
Mayuri is underrated based solely on this video

+9000.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Sep 6, 2014 8:42 PM

Aug 2014
The top character list is actually pretty awful though it's understandable as it's just correlates with the # of people who have seen the show.

Over rated
LeLouch - I just really disliked almost everything about him. From Character design to his nature to w/e made me drop Code Gaess years ago before ep 20 of S1. This isn't a fair assessment cause I haven't seen the whole series. But I definitely hated him throughout all of S1 and not in the good way as "man he's a really well written character that makes me despise him".
Sasuke - I think most people hate him but he's really an awful character. His back story was cool for the first 100 episodes, but then as he grew up he should have realized he's being a fucking idiot with terrible motivations that really don't make sense.
For comparison in Naruto, what Pain was doing made sense as a villain. When he discussed shit with Naruto when he was laying on the ground, his discussion made sense. With Sasuke he had a terrible history, but he's also had amazing people around him willing to cure his emo bitch ass.

Under rated
Xerxes Break - really liked him in Pandora Hearts even if the anime wasn't solid & he remains cool throughout the manga
Binbouda Momiji - She's just fucking hilarious. Her VA was amazing in the anime
Revy - As ridiculously stupid as Black Lagoon is, I think her character is actually done really well & fairly believable minus lol some characters can have every gun in the room pointed at them and not get hit by a bullet wtf.

After looking at the list a little more, I might make a better post in the future on some way under rated chars. Noticed Revy's fairly high and Break isn't too far down either despite those animes/mangas not being near as popular as the ones ahead of it.
RagesEntitySep 6, 2014 8:50 PM
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Sep 6, 2014 9:06 PM

Nov 2012
Underrated Badass: Smoker

SuperRedSep 6, 2014 9:10 PM
Oct 4, 2014 2:35 PM

Nov 2013
Lancer from Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works TV is underrated.
Awesome and badass as hell.
Oct 4, 2014 2:44 PM

Jun 2013
Mods please lock this thread it's so cancerous why do we have it. /s
Oct 4, 2014 2:53 PM
Feb 2014
Here we go again
Oct 4, 2014 3:13 PM

Apr 2014
Issei
Oct 4, 2014 3:35 PM

Oct 2014
Overrated: Kaneki, who is pretty much an grown up version of Ichigo, wanked to death like he is the 2nd coming of Goku. Erza, a mary sue.

Underrated: Meliodas, he is pretty much Natsu done the right way.

Oct 4, 2014 6:48 PM

Jan 2014
Underrated: Lelouch Vi Britannia. Not everyone is hailing him yet.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 »

More topics from this board

» How to deal with anime backlog??

Xenofight - Yesterday

22 by Serafos »»
32 seconds ago

» Does Old Anime age poorly or do people age poorly?

Dragevard - Today

30 by DarkShame2 »»
16 minutes ago

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - May 13

26 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

161 by FFandMMfan »»
30 minutes ago

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 3 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

112 by BitChilly »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.