Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 5, 2012 1:18 PM

Sep 2011
Another good episode,it shows part of Kiritsugu past and part of why i like him so much.

Shirley was cute,but made the biggest mistake when you try a experiment ...never do it in yourself.....

Also we got some info in both the Association and the Mage guild,as any secret organization they most keep thinks in the dark...not that far of reality.

Kiritsugu first victim was his father,i loved it when i read it in the novel and see it animated was great specially since he deserve it.

Well next episode we finish Kiritsugu past and....will see!!
May 5, 2012 1:21 PM

Jan 2009
I demand a spin-off of this series focusing on the Magic of the story. This was very rich in story i can the endless possibilities. I feel as though the holy grail wars is just something small in this vast world.
May 5, 2012 1:32 PM

Dec 2010
Amazing episode; shows a piece of the hell Kiritsugu had to deal with; also interesting how they bring in the Dead Apostles; reminds me of Tsukihime. But from what i remember a True Ancestor (the first vampires) had to suck blood of a human for them to become a Dead Apostle (incomplete vampire) so i guess his whole research was to gain the immortality of a True Ancestor but in the end he just got a half ass pill that makes them into Dead Apostles thus skipping the step of needing to have their blood sucked; gotta say tho the jerk deserved it; didn't feel the slightest bit guilty for what he did.

Seems like now we will go into the later years of Kiritsugu's past; where he learned to kill, became know as the Magus Killer; Also where he had those bullets made (from his ribs if i remember O_O). Great character development.
May 5, 2012 1:38 PM

Jul 2010
holy crap, that was an intense episode. "kerry" looks so much like his dad in the future. but how the hell did he get his mind set on killing his own dad that fast? no wonder he's so messed up in the future.

May 5, 2012 1:39 PM

May 2009
DarthVantos said:
I demand a spin-off of this series focusing on the Magic of the story. This was very rich in story i can the endless possibilities. I feel as though the holy grail wars is just something small in this vast world.
Well, Kara no Kyoukai and Tsukihime are part of the same universe. Mahou Tsukai no Yoru as well.

InfiniteDestiny said:
But from what i remember a True Ancestor (the first vampires) had to suck blood of a human for them to become a Dead Apostle (incomplete vampire) so i guess his whole research was to gain the immortality of a True Ancestor but in the end he just got a half ass pill that makes them into Dead Apostles
I think he was only researching how to become a Dead Apostle, since they are also immortal as long as they feed.
May 5, 2012 1:44 PM

May 2010
Kiritsugu was so adorable XD
His deeper boyish voice made it even hotter.
I hope someone makes some doujin >.>
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

May 5, 2012 2:02 PM

Oct 2009
the_executioner said:
Finally, Dead Apostles get animated!

Yumekichi11 said:
Negligence said:
Lol, that guy from the MA. I knew I'd seen him before somewhere.
NICE FIND! Euh what is his role though in being featured in this episode. I do know he is part of the same universe as this franchise and I do know he looks kick ass but euh does he have any roles in Fate?

He doesn't, but he has a minor role in Kara no Kyoukai. And rather than Cornelius Alba, I think it's more likely that he's Sancraid Fahn from Fate/Prototype.

But this guy was representing the Mage's Association unlike Fahn, looks more like Alba than Fahn to my eyes and uses flame magecraft like Alba.

If it was either of them then it was Alba.
May 5, 2012 2:08 PM

Dec 2010
stAtic91 said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
But from what i remember a True Ancestor (the first vampires) had to suck blood of a human for them to become a Dead Apostle (incomplete vampire) so i guess his whole research was to gain the immortality of a True Ancestor but in the end he just got a half ass pill that makes them into Dead Apostles
I think he was only researching how to become a Dead Apostle, since they are also immortal as long as they feed.

I don't think that was the case tho since he called the experiment a failure and said he would have to start all over again; and the pill obviously created Dead Apostles; so if that's what he wanted he would have called it a success.
May 5, 2012 2:17 PM

Mar 2012
Good episode. I was surprised. When I first started watching the episode and saw little Kiritsugu on an island, I was thinking it'd be nowhere as intense as the main storyline. But this gave a great story and some great character development. I quickly predicted that Shirley would die, but how the events unfolded was pretty unexpected.

InfiniteDestiny said:
I don't think that was the case tho since he called the experiment a failure and said he would have to start all over again; and the pill obviously created Dead Apostles; so if that's what he wanted he would have called it a success.

I think he mentioned that it was a failure because the Dead Apostles ended up having no control and just became rampant monsters.
May 5, 2012 2:18 PM

Sep 2010
My God, Kiritsugu is a failure as main character. Where is his charisma? I'm so disconnected to him. I nearly fell asleep halfway of this episode.

Meh worthy. The only remarkable thing I can praise about it is of the production values: great animation and music. Oh and the Alba cameo.

Overall, this season has been so weak compared to the first one in terms of adaptation where the only episode which I can say was terrible was the Rin's episode. The only episode I can say it was good of this season was the premiere one.

So disappointing Ufotable.
May 5, 2012 2:31 PM

Nov 2011
Vampires, huh? Still more zombie than that other show.

Otherwise, didn't like this episode much.
Totentanz said:
Kiritsugu's justification for killing his father seems quite ambiguous to me.
MissileSoupMay 5, 2012 2:36 PM
May 5, 2012 2:39 PM

Jun 2011
Thess said:
My God, Kiritsugu is a failure as main character. Where is his charisma? I'm so disconnected to him. I nearly fell asleep halfway of this episode.

Meh worthy. The only remarkable thing I can praise about it is of the production values: great animation and music. Oh and the Alba cameo.

Overall, this season has been so weak compared to the first one in terms of adaptation where the only episode which I can say was terrible was the Rin's episode. The only episode I can say it was good of this season was the premiere one.

Charisma?
A struggling character is always worthy watching.
MissileSoup said:
Vampires, huh? Still more zombie than that other show.

Otherwise, didn't like this episode much.
Totentanz said:
Kiritsugu's justification for killing his father seems quite ambiguous to me.

Kerry's logic:
the experiment led to the massacre-->Noritaka works on this-->there'll be more death if Noritaka run away-->shot his own father to prevent bigger disaster.
2thurielMay 5, 2012 2:43 PM
May 5, 2012 2:46 PM

Sep 2011
This Is The First Episode From Fate/Zero I Became Bored. Everything On This Episode Is Meh. I Hope No More Kiritsugu's Past In The Next Episode But It Seems There Will Be Another One. I Guess I'll Struggle It.

And For Those Who Are Asking About Those Vampires(Or You May Think Of Them As Zombies) And Etc Involving About Them, Go Study The Whole Tsukihime Universe.

May 5, 2012 2:47 PM

May 2009
Thess said:

Would you care to elaborate on exactly what is "disappointing"? The general consensus seems to be that it's overall a very good adaptation. Well, I haven't read the LN yet, so I don't have this image in my head of how the perfect anime adaptation should be like. The only annoyance I can think of would be the stuff that's left out, but hey, that's what the cut scenes are for so I can't really judge until the BD box is released.
May 5, 2012 2:49 PM

Dec 2008
Hmm yeah I haven't seen anything as weak yet..In fact I've rewatched every episode multiple times. Besides I'm sure after this flashback the real epicness will start.
May 5, 2012 2:52 PM

Apr 2011
... So, I'm not the only one who saw Alba, right?
May 5, 2012 2:53 PM

Dec 2011
Im glad Kiri killed his father. No reason why a guy like that should be living EVER! Kiri has such a terrifying backstory...

Shirley was so adorable. Sad to have seen her turn out like that.
May 5, 2012 3:35 PM

Aug 2009
So glad that they ended up doing two eps for Kiritsugu's story.I dont get why people are disappointed .
May 5, 2012 3:44 PM

Apr 2011
This episode won me back tbh. I found it so great... Everything about it.

Kerry.. Sad back story, but hella badass at the same time.
May 5, 2012 3:46 PM

Feb 2009
DarthVantos said:

That's because it is. There is plenty of other translated material.

Also it sounds like the next episode will be continuing the flashback with the airliner.
May 5, 2012 3:59 PM

Sep 2010
2thuriel said:
Charisma?
A struggling character is always worthy watching.

That's Kotomine, not Kiritsugu. Kiritsugu is just your stereotypical anti-hero who lacks Kirei's or Shirou's originality and dilemmas.

stAtic91 said:
Would you care to elaborate on exactly what is "disappointing"? The general consensus seems to be that it's overall a very good adaptation. Well, I haven't read the LN yet, so I don't have this image in my head of how the perfect anime adaptation should be like. The only annoyance I can think of would be the stuff that's left out, but hey, that's what the cut scenes are for so I can't really judge until the BD box is released.

Let me put it this way: This episode? Only one chapter in the LN. It's a throw away short backstory (which was naturally stretched). Next episode? Adapted from a source OUTSIDE the Fate/Zero novel (aka it's not part of the storyline, period. Go and make a Hearts of Freaks OVA). Deceive moments of the actual novel? Four and half chapters thrown to the trash and crammed in one episode? Also known as episode 17 shitty adaptation.

Whoever is adapting the script needs to be fired. It's as bad as that stupid Rin's episode.
ThessMay 5, 2012 4:04 PM
May 5, 2012 4:10 PM

Feb 2009
Thess said:

Next episode? Adapted from a source OUTSIDE the Fate/Zero novel (aka it's not part of the storyline, period. Go and make a Hearts of Freaks OVA).

I don't think we are getting Heart of Freaks, if you remember the flashback in the LN continues after this with
so they will most likely do that.
May 5, 2012 4:17 PM

Aug 2009
Thess said:

Let me put it this way.

This episode? Only one chapter in the LN. It's a throw away short backstory (which was naturally stretched). Next episode? Adapted from a source OUTSIDE the Fate/Zero novel (aka it's not part of the storyline, period. Go and make a Hearts of Freaks OVA). Deceive moments of the actual novel? Four and half chapters thrown to the trash and crammed in one episode?

Episode 17 shitty adaptation.

Whoever is adapting the script needs to be fired. It's as bad as that stupid Rin's episode.

I dont get this.You are mad because the will probably,since the airplane part is small,animate Heart of Freaks in the tv series?Rin was random bs but that fits they story just fine.I never thought I would hear people raging for that.The scene with Kiritsugu killing his father was changed so what?It had the same feeling as the novel.Calm down people the story didnt change,the characters didnt change so how is that a shitty adaption?

As for 17 it was rushed but far from shitty..
ssjokgMay 5, 2012 4:21 PM
May 5, 2012 4:17 PM

May 2009
Thess said:
Let me put it this way: This episode? Only one chapter in the LN. It's a throw away short backstory (which was naturally stretched). Next episode? Adapted from a source OUTSIDE the Fate/Zero novel (aka it's not part of the storyline, period. Go and make a Hearts of Freaks OVA). Deceive moments of the actual novel? Four and half chapters thrown to the trash and crammed in one episode? Also known as episode 17 shitty adaptation.
The previous episode was really fast paced, although in my opinion, not to the point of feeling rushed, and they did cut out a lot of important things. However, I can not fully judge the episode yet, as the BD version isn't out. I think that if they were to make the scene where Kirei discovers Risei in the church longer, add Tokiomi's thoughts on the whole Sakura thing, and some of Kirei's inner struggle, it can be great. Still, I consider the episode to be very good as it is, but I can see why you are disappointed with it.

I don't know. It kind of seems to me that you're just butthurt about Kiritsugu getting a lot of attention with this episode and the next, because you don't like him. Did the preview confirm that they are animating Heart of Freaks? I still haven't watched the episode. Waiting for UTW is suffering.
May 5, 2012 4:19 PM

Aug 2009
no itjust shows Kiritsugu on a boat but I dont see how they will fill the ep with only the airplane incident
May 5, 2012 4:22 PM

May 2009
ssjokg said:
no but I dont see how they will fill the ep with only the airplane incident
Maybe it will be covered by half the episode or so, and then the other half will continue with the holy grail war?
May 5, 2012 4:23 PM

Aug 2009
maybe I thought that when i saw the preview for this ep.Heart of freaks is kinda big even for one ep.I doubt it will fit in half...
May 5, 2012 4:29 PM

Jun 2009
Hoho, didn't expect to see Cornelius here, that hair fabulous as ever.

Also i doubt we'll even see airplane scene, few last lines of Kiritsugu after the ED rather suggest no more past events to be seen.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
May 5, 2012 4:31 PM

Aug 2009
OrochiPL said:
Hoho, didn't expect to see Cornelius here, that hair fabulous as ever.

Also i doubt we'll even see airplane scene, few last lines of Kiritsugu after the ED rather suggest no more past events to be seen.

Did you see the same preview as the rest of us?
May 5, 2012 4:32 PM

Feb 2009
It would be kind of stupid to cut the airliner
I wouldn't be surprised if it's half an episode and then back to Act 13 since they only did part of it.
JOHJMay 5, 2012 4:37 PM
May 5, 2012 4:33 PM

Aug 2009
dio_brando86 said:
It would be kind of stupid to cut the airliner, . I wouldn't be surprised if it's half an episode and then back to Act 13 since they only did part of it.

put some spoilers not all read the LN
May 5, 2012 4:35 PM
Apr 2010
Nice to see how Kiritsugu's past is pretty fucked up.

For those who know know more about them than what the show reveals, are Dead Apostles any relevant to the story or is it only a plot device used to make is childhood darker?

I don't recall anything about them in F/s n...
May 5, 2012 4:37 PM

Aug 2009
Xenospiral said:

For those who know know more about them than what the show reveals, are Dead Apostles any relevant to the story or is it only a plot device used to make is childhood darker?

The Dead Apostoles are part of the world Fate/zero takes place but have no connection to the Grail War.
May 5, 2012 4:37 PM

May 2011
Meh, it was ok, I suppose.

Talk about Kiritsugu past.
May 5, 2012 4:38 PM

May 2009
Xenospiral said:

The Dead Apostles are mainly from Tsukihime. They are not relevant to the story of Fate/Zero, other than Kiritsugu's past, of course.

I was beaten to it.
May 5, 2012 4:41 PM
Apr 2010
Cool, I was planning on playing Tsukihime soon!
May 5, 2012 4:41 PM

Feb 2009
Xenospiral said:

Tsukihime is where the Dead Apostles were originally introduced and explained, it's a major part of the universe but doesn't really come up in Fate. As far as I can remember the only related thing in F/SN was
May 5, 2012 4:47 PM

Sep 2010
ssjokg said:
I dont get this.You are mad because the will probably,since the airplane part is small,animate Heart of Freaks in the tv series?Rin was random bs but that fits they story just fine.I never thought I would hear people raging for that.The scene with Kiritsugu killing his father was changed so what?It had the same feeling as the novel.Calm down people the story didnt change,the characters didnt change so how is that a shitty adaption?

Episode 17 was badly paced, there were cuts everywhere for Kirei, Saber, Gilgamesh, Tokiomi, Irisviel, etc.

I'm angry that a short chapter gets stretched in TWO episodes and could potentially include stuff that wasn't in F/Z proper.

It's exactly like Rin episode. They take a small instance and stretch it unnecessarily while they cram actual relevant plot developments for the story: Irisviel's condition, Kirei's transformation. Both that actually, you know, move the plot?

What the heck?
May 5, 2012 4:47 PM

Aug 2009
For those that are confused about the Dead Apostles.All stories from Type moon( Tsukihime,Kara no Kyoukai,Fate/zero/staynight)unfold in the same world. thats why they share a lot.
ssjokgMay 5, 2012 4:55 PM
May 5, 2012 4:53 PM

Aug 2009
Thess said:
ssjokg said:

Episode 17 was badly paced, there were cuts everywhere for Kirei, Saber, Gilgamesh, Tokiomi, Irisviel, etc.

I'm angry that a short chapter gets stretched in TWO episodes and could potentially include stuff that wasn't in F/Z proper.

It's exactly like Rin episode. They take a small instance and stretch it unnecessarily while they cram actual relevant plot developments for the story: Irisviel's condition, Kirei's transformation. Both that actually, you know, move the plot?

What the heck?

Even if it is ufotable I didnt believe that they would adapt the LN 100%.I agree about Kirei's change but if the viewers didnt get how bad Irisviel's condition is what can I say.
In the very beginning fisrt ep I wanted the scene where Kirstugu holds Ilya in his hands but they had other plans.
And lets be honest if they had done both stories in this ep people would say that it was rushed again
May 5, 2012 4:57 PM

Jun 2011
Dead Apostles *cough* zombies *cough* are in everything now, huh. xD

Such a sad thing for him to do... and I was so reminded of FMA this episode ahaha

5/5

I assume that Dead Apostles are gonna play a later role in this, now that we have been introduced to them.
May 5, 2012 5:00 PM

Sep 2010
ssjokg said:
In the very beginning fisrt ep I wanted the scene where Kirstugu holds Ilya in his hands but they had other plans.

It's in the bluray version.
May 5, 2012 5:05 PM

Feb 2009
ssjokg said:

Even if it is ufotable I didnt believe that they would adapt the LN 100%.I agree about Kirei's change but if the viewers didnt get how bad Irisviel's condition is what can I say.
And lets be honest if they had done both stories in this ep people would say that it was rushed again

Any book to film adaptation is going to have minor things cut or changed. There were plenty of things in KnK that were cut and a bunch changed in part 6, but it's to be expected. Despite that their adaptations have been mostly well done and faithful for things that are important. Even a perfect 1:1 adaptation will be forced to leave out or shorten some inner monologue for pragmatic reasons.

This is a much better adaptation than F/SN got and it's worlds better than the terrible Tsukihime anime, not even mentioning loads of other franchises that get bad adaptations so I can't see complaints about it as anything more than looking for an excuse to quibble over stuff that's not really a particularly big deal in the grand scheme of things. Sure, it would be nice if we got stuff like a longer scene with Kotomine and Risei's body and didn't have one episode stretched for more Rin for Rin fans, but it got the point across and didn't ruin anything either.
May 5, 2012 5:07 PM

Feb 2009
onedaysnotice said:
Dead Apostles *cough* zombies *cough* are in everything now, huh. xD

Such a sad thing for him to do... and I was so reminded of FMA this episode ahaha

5/5

I assume that Dead Apostles are gonna play a later role in this, now that we have been introduced to them.

They just show up in the flashback as a callback to Tsukihime, they don't have any other involvement.
May 5, 2012 5:13 PM

Aug 2009
Dead Apostles=/=zombies

Also question for typemoon fans :Except Shirley arent the rest of the villagers turned into The Dead?I doubt they became Ghouls and then Dead Apostles so fast...

@thess
I am pretty sure he doesnt hold her in the beginning of episode 1 when she is born
May 5, 2012 5:14 PM

May 2010
This went from Happy.....stil Happy....broken a little.. Broken alot....Broken Soul at the end,

Man no wonder Kiritsugu is so fucked up, it alway start out in their childhood.
May 5, 2012 5:15 PM

Aug 2009
dio_brando86 said:
ssjokg said:

Any book to film adaptation is going to have minor things cut or changed. There were plenty of things in KnK that were cut and a bunch changed in part 6, but it's to be expected. Despite that their adaptations have been mostly well done and faithful for things that are important. Even a perfect 1:1 adaptation will be forced to leave out or shorten some inner monologue for pragmatic reasons.

This is a much better adaptation than F/SN got and it's worlds better than the terrible Tsukihime anime, not even mentioning loads of other franchises that get bad adaptations so I can't see complaints about it as anything more than looking for an excuse to quibble over stuff that's not really a particularly big deal in the grand scheme of things. Sure, it would be nice if we got stuff like a longer scene with Kotomine and Risei's body and didn't have one episode stretched for more Rin for Rin fans, but it got the point across and didn't ruin anything either.

Thats what I am saying...
May 5, 2012 5:22 PM

Jul 2007
Thess said:

Let us tell the story of a certain man. The tale of a man who, more than anyone else, believed in his ideals, and by them was driven into despair.

You can't compare Kiritsugu's importance in Fate/Zero to that of Rin's.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change, change the form of man. Free the might from fleshy mire. Boil the blood in heart of fire. Gone, gone the form of man. Rise the demon, Etrigan!
May 5, 2012 5:23 PM

Feb 2009
ssjokg said:
Dead Apostles=/=zombies

Also question for typemoon fans :Except Shirley arent the rest of the villagers turned into The Dead?I doubt they became Ghouls and then Dead Apostles so fast...

@thess
I am pretty sure he doesnt hold her in the beginning of episode 1 when she is born

In the LN Shirley is even referred to as one of the Dead.
May 5, 2012 5:41 PM

Aug 2009
dio_brando86 said:
In the LN Shirley is even referred to as one of the Dead.

also form the novel

maybe the "Dead" meant that she looked like a dead body"Skin white as wax.
"The blue-black veins that popped up tore her looks into shards.
An expression, full with near-death anguish, filled her face.
She is about to die – that was obvious.
Although she’s about to die, she was still writhing." and not a reference in the The Dead,since the only way to become one is to be bitten by a vampire(aka Dead Apostle) which means you will take some of his blood in you
ssjokgMay 5, 2012 5:54 PM
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

14 by Spoopy69 »»
May 17, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Apr 26, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Jun 9, 2012

728 by damnit_tomioka »»
Mar 18, 2:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.