Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2011 5:03 PM
Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That gladiatorial match had an interesting theme behind it. Smaller, more barbaric nations like Shindra have often lost their identity over time. Upon being introduced to more advanced foreigners, whether as enemies or allies, the technological might and cultural output of the larger country inevitably influences them. Darun fought here under the guise of restoring order and preventing civil war, which to an extent was true, but in reality it was subjugation: Darun used his superior strength to shift power under Shindra's own system, by their own will, and in the best interests of their people. The same could be said of cultural assimilation over time; in both cases however, loyalists are furious at the loss of national identity, typically resorting to the very civil war everyone wanted to avoid.

If Arslan turns out to be an illegitimate heir, I wonder how he will justify his cause. His government could be a meritocracy, where blood matters little, and as ruler he is the most competent person alive. Yet, if that were the case, surely it would make more sense to hand the crown to people more learned than a teenager. Perhaps it is the desire to create social justice, eliminating slavery and soothing class division, that drives him. I'm thinking that the only reason Arslan wants himself to rule is because his followers want it. It may be a primitive form of democratic revolution.
Jun 6, 2011 2:21 PM

Sep 2008
Not sure myself what drives arslan, maybe freeing all the slaves? but that cant be the main reason.
Anyways, this episode was actually better than the first one. I like how eveyr nation seems to have a different culture and how rich the world of arslan is, or at least seems to be. Some of the background music is actually pretty good too, I must say.
Its a shame the OVA was discontinued.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 22, 2012 11:16 PM
Mar 2012
1 week later the story goes further, no full scale battles matching part 1 and the brutality isn't there but a serious confrontation takes place half way in... So Arislan has a grand total of 6, 1 woman who seems invincible in combat (Remember how the arrows just did nothing when she appeared to aid Arislan in part 1?) and like Gieve likes to play an instrument and 4 brave men, 3 of which looked more like females.... Zante makes his entrance, while Kharlan had charisma and class Zante in comparison is just brawn. Now what made this episode most important for me, possibly my favourite of the series was Bachman and Silvermask's encounter. Silvermask is my favourite character along with Daryoon, why he risked to come all the way to Peshawar is very reckless, the music being used while Bachman is trying to escape Silvermask is very haunting, a prelude to something bad for sure.... So Silvermask finally faces his rival for the crown. The 'puny little runt' Arislan surely cannot hope to even fight Silvermask, who cut down Daryoon's mighty uncle in under a minute.... Yet a bit of fire is more than enough to scare the rightful heir into panic, Quishwald has a go at him with his double swords and if Bachman hadn't had got in the way what would have happened? I don't think Hermes would die so easily, strong as Quishwald is, Hermes' blood was stained with Bachman's sword, suggesting that he may have killed Quishwald if not for Bachman's intervention. (Hermes was also spooked by the fire so not fighting at his peak, he had absolutely no trouble despatching Vaphreze did he?) With the most dramatic scene over we are introduced to Lajendra, the mood of the episode lightens as he's a funny character. The episode rounds off with an impressive duel between Daryoon and some freakshow in an arena, all seems lost yet Daryoon does an incredible feat of channelling lightning into his broken sword and flinging it at the beast. Even then the monster still lives but yields.... Arislan has Lajendra abolish slavery in Shindra, the opening of the episode has him emancipating slaves, who turn on him! In Part 1 Arislan mentions Narsus' quarrel with his father over slavery so it is fair to say that is one thing that motivates both of them, a common interest for better equality. Gieve thinks of the little prince as odd, speaking with Elam a slave boy, Arislan also has Quishwald stand up when they meet after driving off Zante, he also congratulates the Palsians there, he may look like a pansy but he has a good heart! The ending music is good, the first one that is also the opening.... The final track not so keen on. At the end if helping a weak prince become the King of Shindra wasn't enough, Arislan wins over Jaswant, who was employed not long ago to assassinate him! While no way a poster boy in appearance for an able king the crowned prince wins loyalty by his virtue and merit, like Liu Bei did.
He also spoke out against a sacred duel to choose the new king of Shindra in that it is unfair to appoint the strongest as the chosen one, it is barbaric to say the least...
Jun 18, 2012 4:33 AM

Apr 2009
Party Members: +2
Allies Gained: Shindra
Skills Learned: Diplomacy, Abolitionism
Character Level: Unknown

LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist. It looks like Arslan's dynasty really began with his father's rule which Andragoras in turn might have usurped in the first place. X(
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 3, 2012 9:25 AM

Sep 2008
tofei said:
Party Members: +2
Allies Gained: Shindra
Skills Learned: Diplomacy, Abolitionism
Character Level: Unknown

(

LOL!
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 11, 2014 6:38 AM

May 2012
Pretty lovely development I must say, the action and pacing in this anime is quite decent.
Oct 9, 2014 4:03 AM

Mar 2008
It does feel like we're missing some key information - why is the border garrison loyal to Arslan? His familiarity with Azrael and the addled old general hints at a personal connection, but nothing's been given away here.
Skipping past the 'strategy meeting' is also a little frustrating given how little we know of the current circumstanes. Is Silver Helm currently in proper control of Parsia, or is he merely propped up by the Lusitanians? Seems more that he's a ruler in name only seeing how he has the time to run around hostile castles and whatnot.

A few of the characterisations feel cheap - the comparable farce of the 'Indian' princes, and the villain's lack of intimidating presence is also worrying. Befuddled by a sand-twister and a lone (star) adviser - troubled by some (seemingly) small bandit tribe? A small reflection of fire is enough to make him squeal?

Without anything to place the current events into the wider narrative, the show does struggle to create urgency; how can Arslan be so free in a small border fort? Have the Lusitanians not yet pacified greater Parsia then? If not, then it seems unreal for Arslan & co to be free to intervene in a foreign nations politics, unless said nation is actually some border city-state. I suppose that's a real possibility given how little contribution Arslan could probably make.
Feb 5, 2015 10:28 AM

Jan 2013
Nice second episode. A lot of the fighting seems childish/unrealistic, but it's forgivable. I have a feeling that guy who joined their group at the end is still out to assassinate Arslan.

Kind of feel sorry for Char, it seems like he was betrayed and had his title stolen. He should stop being so evil though. Being this vengeful won't pay off in the long run.

Apr 2, 2016 9:47 PM

Jul 2011
That rat trap against the elephants in the ocean was ingenious!

Daryun calling down thunder, lmao.

Free all the slaves!? Wow that's going to mess up the economy. Arslan, did you think that one through?

The more I watch of the series, the less I feel its explained in a wider context. They're so limited in what they can do with only 6 OVAs. :(
Aug 25, 2016 4:44 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Second Ova, nice, and with interesting ends of ova... For the moment, all very well....
Dec 25, 2020 3:54 PM

Nov 2015
oh i wish they could preserve the art for the new tv version but alas, instead we have white haired edward elric on adventures now and Falangies is bareass naked too, she needs more clothes like in this ova! :(
Berry-VodkaDec 25, 2020 3:57 PM

💢

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 6 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 29, 2011

19 by PxHC »»
Jun 30, 2023 6:43 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 5 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 28, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 29, 2021 12:47 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 3 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 23, 2011

9 by Berry-Vodka »»
Jan 15, 2021 3:00 AM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 1 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 14, 2011

13 by Berry-Vodka »»
Dec 18, 2020 1:51 PM

Poll: » The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 4 Discussion

thisiodfkln - Apr 26, 2011

8 by Ranxomare »»
Aug 28, 2016 7:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.