Forum Settings
Forums

Has the internet been taking away our free speech?

New
Apr 13, 9:54 AM
Aug 2013
To me it seems like it has. Sites like Reddit are unusable. Same with apps like Discord. I simply am not able to talk about topics I was able to around a decade ago.
Apr 13, 10:00 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
The state is the only entity that can truly take away your freedom of speech. They are the only ones who can lock you up and violate your human rights for simply saying things. Voluntarily disassociating with someone is a necessary function of the internet, because websites require resources to function, which in some extent makes them private property. To claim that you have some ownership over a website is essentially saying you require access to someone else's private property rights, which is insane. While it's true that most websites generally want the traffic and usership, doesn't mean that you are entitled too it, necessarily.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Apr 13, 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
besides the law there is also so called woke capitalism due to globalization so advertiser friendly websites should be the norm for example in the name of reducing culture wars and maximizing profit of capitalists from multiple demographics of customers like different customers with different cultural backgrounds
Apr 13, 10:20 AM

Mar 2015
Go on 4chan. Also how did ur free speech get restricted on discord, maybe stop going into woke servers if u wanna say slurs
Apr 13, 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
Yes it has. Welcome to the 1984 survelliance police state, dear OP.
Apr 13, 10:46 AM

Nov 2017
Huh? No.

The thing is they both are private properties that have their respective TOS that you agree to abide by when you created your account (you did read their TOS, right?) They aren't legally bound by the First Amendment, which only relates to public and government assets.

You are not entitled to be on 'em. Reddit and Discord are choosing to allow you to use their servers for free, but you have no right to use other people's stuff for free. If they delete your comments, or ban you, your free speech has not been taken away.

Sorry, but Reddit, Discord nor any other private site has to carry your golden wisdom if they don't damned well please to
Apr 13, 11:01 AM

Aug 2014
To seize the means of discussion, just wait for Web3: a future version of the Internet that is decentralized and owned by the users via crypto technology.
Apr 13, 11:14 AM

Jul 2013
>implying that the governments and corporations actually cared about free speech.

Reddit totally sucks. It is nothing but a SJW circlejerk. Avoid it at all costs lol.
Apr 13, 11:16 AM

Dec 2021
Say wha? Reddit and Discord are some of the most free speech parts of the internet. X is the only major site that is pro-censorship (you can get around it easily, though, if you put a swastika in your name or make it your profile pic).
Apr 13, 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to KittenCuddler
Say wha? Reddit and Discord are some of the most free speech parts of the internet. X is the only major site that is pro-censorship (you can get around it easily, though, if you put a swastika in your name or make it your profile pic).
@KittenCuddler >using Twitter in 2024. Sounds like an epic fail.
Apr 13, 11:23 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to DesuMaiden
@KittenCuddler >using Twitter in 2024. Sounds like an epic fail.
@DesuMaiden Imagine using Twitter... ever. Even before the takeover that place seemed like it was pure garbo.
Apr 13, 11:40 AM

Jun 2020
Reply to KittenCuddler
@KittenCuddler Discord and Reddit are equally circlejerk social echo chambers like any other social media site. There is a reason why "reddit mods" as a negative meme exists, for a good reason. Power hungry basement dwellers that perpetuate bad behavior simply cause they are not happy with their lives and think venting online is somehow making a difference. Some Reddit groups are better than others, but most have become unbearable due to bad faith users, and moderators that are selective in their morals and are equally bad faith users. r/europe and r/askeurope are good example of a cesspool reddit groups, where only the status quo narratives and perception of entire people groups are allowed, any other challenge of that status quo gets you immediately banned or downvoted. Their users are also pretty nasty and down right ignorant that refuse their reality to be challenged in any way. If you want any good experience, avoid any large reddit groups, and especially any that relate to popular visual media and politics.
TechnopunkApr 13, 11:49 AM

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Apr 13, 11:42 AM

Sep 2016
We aren't allowed to talk as we please in someone else's house, we must behave according to the house rules.
If we want to talk as we please, then we need to find a house that fits our needs or build our own.

Moderation on private websites is increasing indeed, I think there should be a global public communication website run by liberal governments who guarantee free speech.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Apr 13, 11:51 AM

Aug 2022
Basically what needs to happen is make the Internet legally a Utility because Power Companies cannot legally cut off your power if you are a Nazi or Communist.
Apr 13, 12:06 PM

Mar 2008
The real issue is the increased corporatization, centralization, mass surveillance and politicization of the internet.
Apr 13, 12:25 PM

Dec 2015
Laughs in Polish internet which is as toxic as it always has been and no one gives a shit about censorships or anything related into it.
Apr 13, 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
There have ALWAYS been limits to free speech. Of course, I believe there should be limits to free speech. You would have to be seriously delusional to think otherwise.

Of course, I don't care about these limits because I have just one banned thing I want to tell everyone...industrial civilization is a giant scam. It will catastrophically and abruptly collapse one day. And near term human extinction will happen...as a result.
Apr 13, 1:08 PM

Aug 2021
i guess its complicated the topic but also brings misinformation at times
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 5:48 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to YanYan
i guess its complicated the topic but also brings misinformation at times
@YanYan mainstream media (MSM) is almost entirely misinformation. Yet the vast majority of people actually believe in it. But most of the fringe blogs are also misinformation. Only a handful of blogs (that almost nobody knows about) contain REAL information.
Apr 14, 12:32 AM

Mar 2024
Yes, even idiots are allowed by the Internet, you confirm it.
ラーメン食いに行こうぜ~
Apr 14, 2:27 AM

Feb 2016
The internet is a filter for information which will be preserved for the supposed future that the status-quo is working towards.

I can't believe that people in 2024 are still using the tone-deaf "well it's all a privately owned service anyways, you have no right to use it" argument - as if every Western government hasn't been spending the past 2+ decades regulating public usage out the ass, getting friendly with silicon valley lobbyists, using algorithms to their advantage with optics campaigns, and being the ones themselves who frame the Overton window on what even acceptable discourse is; online or otherwise. Ever since the great depression, the duality between private interest groups and governments has been a fable that distracts us from the economic reality - they have every incentive to work together.

The fact of the matter is that >95% of people will always choose the option which plays into the hand of these entities, irrespective of the actual long term ramifications, because the option itself was designed to be as appealing as possible to the average person. All of the material and social power is in these people's hands, your ability to "decide" as an individual is worthless in the face of that. Unless the actual physical infrastructure which supports the internet is publicly owned, then this trend of centralisation will only increase as time goes on. This, unlike the theoretical "okay well if you don't like it simply don't use it" perspective, is the actual reality we are dealing with. As long as people value mass democracy as a social decision making tool, anyone who is cognisant of the reality is powerless - this means that, no matter what you choose, your "freedom to disassociate" will be impinged upon again and again until your kind is extinct, because there's frankly nothing you can do about it if someone with more influence than you says so. Centralised power doesn't stop knocking at your door because you decided to close it, as Western governments have made loud and clear.

The hippy cybernetic dream of the internet being the ultimate free-thinking infrastructure is just that: a dream. Real private entities, with governmental influence, own the undersea cables that the internet depends on.
TibetanJazz666Apr 14, 2:42 AM
Apr 14, 3:07 AM

Jun 2016
There will never be true freedom of speech anywhere, and there's plenty of good reason for that being the case.
But also, keep in mind that MAL, Reddit and what have you isn't a representative of the internet as a whole.
Nothing is stopping you from hosting your own platform where you are allowed to discuss whatever, but please keep in mind, again, there's a good reason why true freedom of speech isn't allowed.

What reason, you dear mal forum reader might ask. Well, slander is a good example, hate speech, defamation.
Do you think people should be held accountable for what they say, and be punished if they were to ruin an innocent person's life through the spreading of rumours and lies?
If that's the case then you're limiting speech, you're denying true freedom of speech, and here we go down down down down the rabbit hole.

ค๓ เ ʝยรƚ
ƚ๏๏ ƈยƚє
Ŧ๏г ץ๏ย?

Apr 14, 4:05 AM

Aug 2021
Nah I'm rather scared of insular communities ganging up on me

My free speech, worldviews, opinions never really come close to breaking terms of service
and I don't think it's that difficult really, as long as u don't claim that a certain group of people controls the world or advocate for mass violence, u r pretty much entirely free say anything u want

I never really got the people who whine about their free speech being taken away, like what the hell r u saying that's bannable lol
Apr 14, 12:17 PM

Jul 2013
>implying that the government doesn't already restrict free speech.

>implying there was ever any "free speech" to begin with

>implying that we don't already live under a 1984, Orwellian police state.

>implying that we actually live in a "free" country.

>implying that the so-called "West" i.e. Canada, USA, the United Kingdoms, etc isn't as fascist and unfree as China, Iran and other so-called "evil" countries.

>implying that the cops are actually about protecting innocent and vulnerable people. And not just about arresting an x amount of people every month or every year to meet a certain arrest quota.

Just remember Big Brother is WATCHING YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE. 24/7. The government CANNOT be TRUSTED WHATSOEVER. Of course, there should be limits on what is legal or not. But nonetheless, I have zero trust in the government.
Apr 14, 12:31 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to DesuMaiden
@YanYan mainstream media (MSM) is almost entirely misinformation. Yet the vast majority of people actually believe in it. But most of the fringe blogs are also misinformation. Only a handful of blogs (that almost nobody knows about) contain REAL information.
@DesuMaiden
It depends what you call mainstream. I often see that term thrown around by people detached from reality at any credible news source that says something that ruins their narrative even if it has actual integrity of journalism or is otherwise raw footage without being out of context. Though even credible sources sometimes report hoaxes and psyops unknown to them.
Apr 14, 1:21 PM

Jan 2017
Free? Fuck no, I have pay way too much for this shit.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
Apr 14, 2:39 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to traed
@DesuMaiden
It depends what you call mainstream. I often see that term thrown around by people detached from reality at any credible news source that says something that ruins their narrative even if it has actual integrity of journalism or is otherwise raw footage without being out of context. Though even credible sources sometimes report hoaxes and psyops unknown to them.
@traed MSM is almost all fake news. You will be foolish to take it seriously. They report almost nothing important or useful. Just an endless stream of trivia and infomationment.
Apr 14, 2:51 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to DesuMaiden
@traed MSM is almost all fake news. You will be foolish to take it seriously. They report almost nothing important or useful. Just an endless stream of trivia and infomationment.
@DesuMaiden
There is a difference between misleading news articles and actually entirely fabricated news.
Apr 15, 12:44 PM

Jul 2013
Who cares about "free speech"? We always lived under an 1984 Orwellian police state. Just saying.
Apr 15, 1:02 PM

Jun 2019
DesuMaiden said:
Who cares about "free speech"? We always lived under an 1984 Orwellian police state. Just saying.

Even the Stalinian Era was very far from what happens in this overrated novel... You need a reality check.

DesuMaiden said:

Take your pills. MSM very rarely shares fake news, while your shady blogs "that no one knows about" that you deem trustworthy in another post are 100% fake news. What you should not trust in the media are the biased political analyses, but it should not even be worth mentioning to any sensible person.

We should do an easy test to make sure that we live on the same planet:
1) Is the Earth round?
2) Did man walk on the moon, and when?
3) Who do you think killed JFK?
4) Who was responsible of the 9/11 terrorist attacks?
5) What do you think about the Covid vaccines?
Apr 15, 1:05 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Meusnier
DesuMaiden said:

Even the Stalinian Era was very far from what happens in this overrated novel... You need a reality check.

DesuMaiden said:

Take your pills. MSM very rarely shares fake news, while your shady blogs "that no one knows about" that you deem trustworthy in another post are 100% fake news. What you should not trust in the media are the biased political analyses, but it should not even be worth mentioning to any sensible person.

We should do an easy test to make sure that we live on the same planet:
1) Is the Earth round?
2) Did man walk on the moon, and when?
3) Who do you think killed JFK?
4) Who was responsible of the 9/11 terrorist attacks?
5) What do you think about the Covid vaccines?
@Meusnier mainstream media is constantly spreading fake news. You actually believe in it, which is amazing.
Apr 15, 1:15 PM

Sep 2023
In my opinion, the internet has only been enabling people to say more and more. Whether on the internet, or in person. Sometimes for good, sometimes people need to learn when to shut the fuck up.

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
Apr 15, 1:19 PM

Jun 2019
DesuMaiden said:
@Meusnier mainstream media is constantly spreading fake news. You actually believe in it, which is amazing.

Please quote one good example, Mr. Pizzagater.
Apr 15, 1:26 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
I mean if J. K. Rowling is able to sue people on Twitter over blatant holocaust denial, I guess it's not Internet but rather local legislation at stakes. At the same time when you say "cis" you get muted for hate speech but if you say nazi shit you're allowed free reign on Musk's kingdom...

Apr 15, 4:32 PM

Nov 2013
The internet allows you to access more tools and platforms to express yourself. It is not inherently taking away your free speech. It is actually giving you more avenues/opportunities to pursue free speech.

If platforms like Reddit are 'unusable' why does it have near 300 million weekly users and over a hundred active thousand subreddits on a variety of topics - some even controversial? Let me guess, it's all AI/bots. I don't think you understand the definition of unusable.

You should post your true comments/behaviour that keeps getting you permanently banned from everywhere. I bet it's totally not revolting.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Apr 15, 9:09 PM

Mar 2013
I feel like with telegram and all sorts of ways to go under your government's nose, the internet has facilitated free speech while simultaneously being a potential weapon with which could be used to influence the masses. So I suppose the answer could be yes, but not in the way you are thinking of OP.
Apr 15, 10:41 PM
Dec 2022
This isn't a free speech problem. This is more of a free speech + digital media problem with the obvious complications.
Apr 17, 8:33 AM

Mar 2019
I think that people quite often misunderstand free speech. Having some website remove your posts/ban you because you violated their terms of service is not limiting your free speech. In fact, I've heard about some companies going to court over censorship and stuff, and maybe I have an unpopular opinion on this but I think it that a private company should absolutely have the right to censor stuff on their own platform. To me it actually seems like more of a violation of their free speech if they aren't allowed censor their own content.

It's kind of like that court case in Colorado where that bakery wouldn't make a cake for that gay couple and then ended up in court. I think that private businesses should be able to refuse service if they want to; I don't agree with them choosing to and I don't think it is a very good decision for the business to marginalize it's customers, but ultimately I think they should have the right to do so.
Apr 18, 10:59 AM

Jul 2013
Yes, it has. Because the governments are actively suppressing the truth. And they are spreading false information to implant in the minds of the masses.
Apr 30, 9:59 AM

Nov 2019
These sites and companies are all PC these days especially because the SJWs prowl on them more aggressively ready to strike while the iron is hot. (Too many users complain about the standards and safety/inclusion on these platforms that the company's would rather become PC/PG)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think the revolution of robots, machines and AIs will happen this century?

Absurdo_N - May 19

27 by DreamWindow »»
2 minutes ago

» Fav "D"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 2 hours ago

5 by deg »»
3 minutes ago

» what's the first thing you would do if you wake up in your middle school/high school years tomorrow morning?

FruitPunchBaka - 11 minutes ago

2 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» What are you doing right now? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Mayhem- - Dec 25, 2020

451 by D_D_DJ »»
35 minutes ago

» Twitter is officially X.com now ( 1 2 )

deg - May 17

50 by DreamWindow »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.