Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Returner's Magic Should be Special
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2023 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
So Desir wants to avoid despair and make his life the best it can be, including life at the school. Easier said than done but he's got that determined attitude.

Feels like the show is still warming up with themes and mechanics of their world. All the students in their class seems very competitive. Azest might also be someone worth to keep an eye on. Combat magic were used this episode and I got RPG vibes from this. It seems the show will be very action oriented? This episode had more than I had expected. Romantica also showed some of her magical talents but I don't like her personality much.
Oct 14, 2023 10:50 AM

Oct 2017
Desir uses an interesting magic and his way of using other spells is interesting too. Like how he used a friction spell and then used the blast from fire spell to propel himself. Azest is the cool and strong beauty, need more of her. Romantica though, kinda annoying.
Oct 14, 2023 11:14 AM

Dec 2021
The animation is still kinda bad - wtf is with that permanent rainbow effect on everything - but this has been pretty interesting so far. The way Desir used the low friction magic to blast himself to the finish was clever.
Oct 14, 2023 11:56 AM

Nov 2012
Romatica and Azest need to become mentally strong as well. What use is there in fighting when only 3 of you are left in a test where 3 can pass? Not only was it a idiotic waste of time and energy, they showed their hand to any future opponent that was was watching. Azest is a soldier and blindly follows orders, ok, but Romatica is just a dummy.
Oct 14, 2023 4:54 PM
Aug 2020
it was a good episode, he is not the only one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 14, 2023 5:05 PM
Aug 2014
solid episode, im liking desir's magic it's pretty cool with overwriting the opponents magic, romantica is kinda annoying tho, hopefully she becomes better, and azest is the cool beauty type with little to say, but i love that type so she is kinda cool so far.
Oct 14, 2023 5:11 PM

Jan 2008
A lot of the magic effects and their animations just make me laugh. The magic circles and all the cg effects/electricity everywhere feel so out of place despite having seen so many shows with magic circles. The one on his eye looks especially off. It feels like there's no interaction between it and him, as if animators decided to just overlay it on his face afterwards thinking it was cool. Feels like all the effects are there to mask the lack of actual animation. Well at least some of the character designs still look good.
Oct 14, 2023 5:23 PM

Mar 2016
I entirely forget everything I watched in last week episode so I had to watch that and today's one, both were kinda boring.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 14, 2023 7:03 PM
Apr 2023
Excellent 2nd episode!

I really love these stories with the redo/re-make themes. Nice that MC maintains his chadness. Looking forward to the next episode!
Oct 14, 2023 7:10 PM

Nov 2010
This episode reminds me of Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei.
Oct 14, 2023 7:42 PM

Oct 2022
urghhh... well the entire episode was dedicated to this 'test' of the different people in this... academy? Magic school? What ever the place is- because all they show are some cardboard cutouts standing around looking at a jumbotron. All the people are different ages (and backgrounds it appears) and there's no explanation or obvious reason why people from so many different ages are brought together here. But there's no time for that, so they're beamed up to the class level which looks like some game field- and a very polite sounding female voice announces that ONLY THREE people are going to "pass" this test by getting to the finish. Three people only? So in a war for humanity's survival- you're not training every human that can walk how to hold a gun and fight- you're holding a competition that will only take the very best. So what happens to the people that don't get selected?
And so what is this test, this competition of ultimate skill to see who the top three elite fighters are going to be- to take on an ANIMATRONIC dragon that will go on to kill 150 million people?

a foot race

Yep! That's it! A foot race. And incredibly, the two chicks Azest and Romantica remind Desir that he's "at a disadvantage" ... Really? Really! I can tell you with absolute certainty that no man on earth (apart from one with no legs) is at a disadvantage against young women IN A FOOT RACE!!!
But don't believe me! Just watch! So blond chick takes off, and Salaryman and Love Interest have a totally unrelated magic battle in the field, and naturally- AMAZIGN CHEET SKILL MC humiliates her and then goes on to beat blond haired chick too. Tell me again how this has anything to do with humanity's battle against a giant dragon. I have no idea. The ending credits look and sound like they're from a completely different show. I'm utterly baffled by this anime. Now in the ending credits is a blue haired boy who is cute AF but he was nowhere to be found in these first two episodes; nor was he apparent in the first part/flashback scenes....
SuperAdventureOct 14, 2023 7:50 PM
Oct 14, 2023 8:18 PM

Feb 2020
Holy fuck he was so godam cool jesus christ
this might be one of the goats for the season with such a protagonist hmm

Oct 14, 2023 8:41 PM

Mar 2013
The animation needs to have a bit more effort to get a better, fluid animation. As it is, it's too rough. However, this series is a great one! It shows promise.
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Oct 14, 2023 10:53 PM
Apr 2023
I liked that he used speedrun strats to blast himself to the front 😂
Oct 15, 2023 12:24 AM

Dec 2022
It's always the smiling ones that are the most dangerous lmao. Love his attitude
Oct 15, 2023 12:50 AM

Jul 2017
Of course, Desir would know Romantica, but her fate is one that he knows too well that will end in her demise.

Hebrion Academy's entrance test would also introduce one of Desir's comrades of Azest Kingscrown, though at this time like Romantica, they're complete unknowns to each other. Focusing on the test at hand, all 3 of them with the rest in the same group going into a Shadow World, only the fittest would survive and make it out of the test alive of the race through Earnstee Plains. As expected, Azest fights Romantica's wind power, but the latter is not going to let Desir loose.

Every attack that Romantica threw at Desir, he's always able to block them with his Inverse power, and even more so the same with Azest to avoid all of the tragedies to come, stemming from their past life.

Onwards to a hope filled with other of Desir's comrades...
Oct 15, 2023 4:37 AM

Jun 2015
Squeeeeeee love it...
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Oct 15, 2023 4:42 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
The episode was really good, the soundtrack is on a top level. I really enjoy it, of course the MC won the race haha.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Oct 15, 2023 12:34 PM

Jun 2016
very very promising show !!!

a lot potential !!
Oct 15, 2023 6:35 PM
Jul 2020
dude just fireball'd himself across the map XD
Oct 16, 2023 7:58 AM
Sep 2021
Desir meets Romantica and azest, and he also won against both of them in a match, he still has a lot of challenges in front of him.
Oct 17, 2023 4:42 AM
Mar 2012
better episode i guess... Godtsuya with hot smile competes with Asuka & Evergarden in a ubw spam match.
that vacuum cleaner was the most interesting part.
Oct 17, 2023 3:59 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to SuperAdventure
urghhh... well the entire episode was dedicated to this 'test' of the different people in this... academy? Magic school? What ever the place is- because all they show are some cardboard cutouts standing around looking at a jumbotron. All the people are different ages (and backgrounds it appears) and there's no explanation or obvious reason why people from so many different ages are brought together here. But there's no time for that, so they're beamed up to the class level which looks like some game field- and a very polite sounding female voice announces that ONLY THREE people are going to "pass" this test by getting to the finish. Three people only? So in a war for humanity's survival- you're not training every human that can walk how to hold a gun and fight- you're holding a competition that will only take the very best. So what happens to the people that don't get selected?
And so what is this test, this competition of ultimate skill to see who the top three elite fighters are going to be- to take on an ANIMATRONIC dragon that will go on to kill 150 million people?

a foot race

Yep! That's it! A foot race. And incredibly, the two chicks Azest and Romantica remind Desir that he's "at a disadvantage" ... Really? Really! I can tell you with absolute certainty that no man on earth (apart from one with no legs) is at a disadvantage against young women IN A FOOT RACE!!!
But don't believe me! Just watch! So blond chick takes off, and Salaryman and Love Interest have a totally unrelated magic battle in the field, and naturally- AMAZIGN CHEET SKILL MC humiliates her and then goes on to beat blond haired chick too. Tell me again how this has anything to do with humanity's battle against a giant dragon. I have no idea. The ending credits look and sound like they're from a completely different show. I'm utterly baffled by this anime. Now in the ending credits is a blue haired boy who is cute AF but he was nowhere to be found in these first two episodes; nor was he apparent in the first part/flashback scenes....
@SuperAdventure i mean, you just have to be patient to understand, it's only building up the show they can't show everything in 2 episodes
Oct 17, 2023 8:24 PM

Aug 2020
Its quite cool how the protagonist actually has a reason to be overpowered, in that he has significantly more experience in actual battle than them, not that he's just stronger than everyone else for no reason.
Oct 17, 2023 8:38 PM

Oct 2008
oh nice! that was an easy peazy win for Desir!
they all need to be stronger, stronger than their bestest! in order to not repeat the same future! -> that's kinda hard especially if no one believes that you came from the past huh...
5/5.

Oct 17, 2023 10:31 PM
Oct 2018

Awesome Finally a hero who doesn't stick around and uses skills from the future
Oct 19, 2023 3:54 PM
Apr 2021
They really depicted this part of the story just right. I don't like how all their hairs are gradients of like 4 colors, but hey, anime. and anime is good so far
Oct 19, 2023 6:30 PM

Aug 2011
I have some concerns in regard to animation and some edition (like the gradient colors?) but I must confess overall the series had a positive impact on me - I would love to see how this whole thing develops.

I also aprpeciate the author decided to go for time travel/mystery rather than an isekai concept.

By the way, cen we start theorizing about the time trave part right?
In the first episode one of the characters tells Desir that for a "commoner" he's very powerful, and wonders where that power could come from?
I think there's a key element there - as Desir doesn't seme to know the answer to that himself. Maybe it relates to the time travel?

Who sent him back? Was it's own power or someone else's?

» Escapism.

Oct 20, 2023 8:05 PM

Feb 2019
things are getting interesting. at least he schooled both romantica and azest, showing them that they aren't all that - yet lol
Oct 20, 2023 10:58 PM

Feb 2008
It does have some potential but somewhat the episode just meh . :)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Oct 25, 2023 2:04 PM
Mar 2023
Romantica was crazy about the protagonist after the tremendous blow he gave her, presuming that she can't even measure up to him. I don't know if I can say the same about Azest, but what I do know for sure is that she was quite impressed that he won. the race with that ability after having belittled it so much. By the way, Desir used the same principle as for the TNT cannons in Minecraft when he propelled himself thanks to the explosion, and what a gem of a subtitled opening and ending, both on the playlist.
21:10 Isaac Newton, thank you very much
Oct 31, 2023 10:18 AM
Jun 2022
Man , Only If Animation Was A Lil Better In Fights ... Op Is Good & Ed Damn... What Did They Made Pram Like Lol . Story
Nov 7, 2023 3:00 AM

Aug 2013
Some nice action.

MC still seems kinda oblivious in his wording as to not seem suspicous or anything like that.
Dec 24, 2023 8:11 AM
Oct 2019
cool, but some things changed
Dec 29, 2023 4:10 PM

Feb 2009
kind of a weird school setting. If the school was blatantly set up in such a stupid way, why would commoners enroll at all? Especially ones with actual talent in magic. Like why bother enrolling in a place that will just waste your talent? Surely there are other schools that will at least teach you better than being neglected at a prestigious school. And the way no one blinks an eye when this guy inversed the magic knight's magic seems really odd when we are told that it's not something you can do without being significantly higher level than the caster. And like, it's one thing for almost all the staff to be discriminatory, but surely they are not stupid enough to see how strong our protag is? I would've expected some actual reaction, even if it is a negative one that considers him a threat.

You could chalk it up to "the nobles are all stupid" but I think it's a sign of bad writing, similar to how that one guy in ep1 failed to remember about the dragon heart thing until it was too late when it should be obvious from the start that they were fighting a dragon and that things were clearly odd when they "defeated" it and things didn't end like normal. Like why wouldn't you start thinking about the possibility that it hasn't ended yet when the stakes are so high. If they were so careless, I doubt they would've made it to the dragon to begin with.
EinTheVarianceDec 29, 2023 4:58 PM
Jan 1, 11:23 PM
Jun 2012
Fine quality insofar.
Jan 7, 11:57 PM

Mar 2015
His powers reminded me of Tatsuya, with the way he's analyzing their opponent's magic formula then countering it.
Jan 19, 3:29 AM
Jan 2023
Not bad at all, was entertaining the whole way through the episode and everything worked out in the end.

Some good fight scenes too, I think they did a pretty decent job at those. Characters are definitely interesting too.
Apr 15, 4:12 AM

Jul 2023
Romantica questions Desir's familiarlity with her which he sorrowfully pretends he doesnt know her.| he along with his mentor meets a snobby noble's mentee "ajest" wholl be participating in the exam, ajest was also one of the 6 heros, but its appearant to desir she hasnt regressed like him.| The exam will be a race in the artifical world where sabotage is allowed, the race will be in groups of 6 and for each group the first 3 will pass. Desir is placed in group d where he will be competing against his former comrade ajest, his future lover romantica, and 3 other randoms.|
The race starts with the magic knight ajest in lead and romantica and him in last, though she isnt worried as she uses her long range magic to disqualify the randoms in lead, though the magic knight breezes through it. Eventually Feeling annoyed of Desir's overfamiliarity with her romantica starts a battle with him, but is suprised he is able to hold his own, he easily overcomes her attacks with his previous knowledge and flees using a blast on himself and friction to slide through the race where he catches up to Ajest who is impressed by the commoner. Desir has to overcome his previous comrades barrage of attacks but is eventually able to blast past her since shes too distracted battling him, becoming first in group d, with ajest second and romantica third. Desir knows ajest and romantica must be much stronger to prepare for the future and hes bent on making sure thats the case.

Loved this episode, although im confused as to why on some parts the mc seemed like he really didnt know some stuff even though this is his past. And I wonder the academies commitee's reaction to a commoner winning against a powerful student and a magic knight.
RefridgeraterApr 15, 4:22 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2023

65 by LionOfParadise »»
May 12, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2023

57 by ST63LTH »»
Apr 29, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2023

30 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2023

25 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 7:45 AM

Poll: » Kikansha no Mahou wa Tokubetsu desu Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2023

28 by Refridgerater »»
Apr 15, 6:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.