Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 2010 5:49 PM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I played the PSP game first for this one long before seeing this anime movie so I was surprised that I actually liked the main character which also briefly appeared on the game as a supporting character. The story is sort of a cliche but the protagonist Wataru is more mature than most kid anime characters I've watched.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 7, 2010 3:00 AM

Mar 2007
*Thread changed into an episode discussion thread*
Jul 14, 2010 2:26 PM

Aug 2008
omg I love this movie (even though it's kinda predictable in many events)!!

but damn, I don't want it to end like that!
Sep 19, 2010 6:43 AM
Jun 2009
I think Wataru is a pretty cool guy. eh fights bad guys doesn't afraid of anything.
Sep 26, 2010 5:44 PM

Nov 2009
I'm a huge fan of this book. I read it several years ago, and two nights ago I found out there was a movie. Unfortunately I got overly excited for it and was thoroughly disappointed. If I hadn't read the book, I get the feeling I would be extremely confused by it. Even if I ignore the fact that the movie left out at least half the book (I understand that this is an adaptation, not a carbon copy), I honestly didn't feel the pace was right at all. I believe this would have made a better 13-episode series than a movie. :\

Animation was beautiful though. I give it props for that.
Oct 24, 2010 9:34 AM

Mar 2009
guidodi said:
I really don't get why they act like they are the best friends in the world, they one met ONCE in their life and only for a few minutes and he also saw Mitsuru murder 3 kids and he acts like nothing happened. Really average movie in all aspects.

Mitsuru didn't murder the kids, he scared then tossed them to the side. At least, the pile of them didn't seem dead.

And yes, this should've been a series. Would have been SO kickass, even if the animation wouldn't have always been as good. As long as they still went all out when it counted.
Nov 29, 2010 4:07 PM

Nov 2009
senerikfred said:
guidodi said:
I really don't get why they act like they are the best friends in the world, they one met ONCE in their life and only for a few minutes and he also saw Mitsuru murder 3 kids and he acts like nothing happened. Really average movie in all aspects.

Mitsuru didn't murder the kids, he scared then tossed them to the side. At least, the pile of them didn't seem dead.

And yes, this should've been a series. Would have been SO kickass, even if the animation wouldn't have always been as good. As long as they still went all out when it counted.

What the movie didn't explain is that Mitsuru actually stole the souls of those kids. His summon ate their souls and left the bodies. But no, they don't die at all.

Yeah, I could sacrifice the animation to turn this into a series as well! :D
Mar 1, 2011 3:54 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Rygart and that crazy dude were awesome this episode.

Mar 1, 2011 4:27 PM

Sep 2008
K0S-M0S said:

your mistaking Brave Story for Break Blade
Mar 3, 2011 9:41 AM

Aug 2009
Somewhat lame, or should I say predictable and cliched story coupled with great animation, one-dimensional main characters and much more interesting/intriguing supporting characters. The first half was sleep-inducing at times, while the second tried to be epic a bit to hard I'd say. Overall, nothing to write home about.
It gets 6 from me, the score coul've been even lower, but I simply can't ignore the gorgeous art.

Btw, why does that princess girl look like a mini version of queen Victoria to me xD
metamorphiusMar 3, 2011 10:38 AM
May 19, 2011 8:35 PM
Nov 2008
It was superb IMO. Wataru's character sucked, and the stroy suffered it, but every other aspect of the movie was first-class. Could've done without the cheesy super-happy ending too but oh well.
Animation, original idea, Sound&music were just great, and the world was awesome and captivating. Yes there were generic fantasy elements (incorporated perfectly btw), but there are some in even the best fantasy stories (especially high-fantasy).

Btw how did Mitsuru becoma a magician anyway?:DDD Never explained, oh well.

8/10

Oh and this was the first time I hated THORA subs.
Jun 24, 2011 10:04 PM

Nov 2010
Haven't actually read the light novel prior to watching the movie, even I could tell that the movie was rushed, and the experience it gave me wasn't very pleasant, and left a slightly horrible taste in my mouth.

The light novel could have been much better, had it been adapted to a normal anime series instead of a movie (Yes, I go for story plot and character development, not just animation alone).
"Love is power. Give it to another and you will bring bliss. Friends, criminals, strangers, and even yourself. All is reborn when you forgive, love, and understand."
Feb 2, 2012 12:50 AM

Sep 2008
This movie was doing far too much. It had nearly 2 hours, but even that wasn't enough. Not for a story of this magnitude.

I think most of the depth was lost to the pacing of the story.

Animation was superb, though.

Still enjoyed the movie as a whole.

geemaa said:
lmao, funny, I finished watching the Break Blade movies today just before watching this completely unrelated Brave Story movie I found in my movies folder.
5layerFeb 2, 2012 1:09 AM
Mar 9, 2012 11:31 AM

Feb 2011
I enjoyed it but I found the ending far too contradictory and cliche (I still enjoyed it however).

Spoilers
Apr 13, 2012 3:13 PM

Apr 2011
Azuron said:
I enjoyed it but I found the ending far too contradictory and cliche (I still enjoyed it however).

Spoilers
I totally agreed with you regarding Mitsuru/Aya being dead. By being alive, the whole story moral was diminish.

I did though, like the part where he took up responsibilities now that his lame douche father left.
Jun 1, 2012 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
Azuron said:

Spoilers

Definitely not the most mature story, but I gathered it was geared more towards children and expected as much. As such, it did not disappoint me.
Jun 3, 2012 1:41 PM

Jun 2009
Wow, this movie felt really rushed and all over the place because they squeezed so much stuff in there...

I guess it was an adaption they wanted to put as much from the source material in as possible? But that really didn't work out well.

How did the sister die? She just accidently killed herself with the knife or what? This wasn't clear at all. But I watched it on german free TV so they might have cut out a scene or two due to censoring (although I don't think so in this case).

Was about to give this a 6/10 because it basically seemed like they were just lining up random scenes. But then THAT ENDING. What the fuck was up with that? Them being alive and stuff. Ridiculous, stupid and made no sense. *sigh*

So in the end 5/10. Although I feel that this is a bit harsh. After all it was kinda entertaining and the animation was nice. But the plot wanted to do too much in too little time and the characters were terribly flat (and almost all of the entirely pointless) and that nonsensical ending really pissed me off. Would give 5.5 if it was possible.
May 12, 2013 2:07 PM

May 2012
Quite an amazing story, with a great buildup towards the end with great action, visuals, animation and just a nice and sweet ending! The ending everyone really wanted to see and that just was beautiful!

A great movie in general, really liked it!
Jun 5, 2013 3:00 PM
Oct 2012
Fantastic story and great show!
Jun 25, 2013 9:54 AM
Sep 2011
The Movie was good but i didn't like the ending. To me i would've tried to find a way to get mum into vision and then live there with his new friends. And anyway the wish was only for the demons to go away, it mentioned nothing about the people that were probably killed by them. Mitsuru is still a murderer yet he is the one who gets the happy ending.
Oct 22, 2013 8:53 AM

Jan 2013
i love the movie
'"Hearts, you say? You Humans are always so quick to speak of such things. As though you carry your hearts in the very palms of your hands. But this eye of mine perceives all. There is nothing that it overlooks. If this eye cannot see a thing, then it does not exist. That is the assumption under which I have always fought. What is this "heart"? If I tear open that chest of yours, will I see it there? If I smash open that skull of yours, will I see it there?4th Espada

Apr 16, 2015 2:09 PM

Nov 2012
I liked the movie but I felt like the ending totally cheapened

Just found out that the English translation of the novel is 800+ pages long. I want to read it now, since the movie clearly had to cut out a lot in order to fit that much content in <2 hours. I would have liked to see this as a 1-cour anime TV series.
SleepyBearApr 16, 2015 2:14 PM
Oct 31, 2015 8:27 PM

Feb 2015
SleepyBear said:

Just found out that the English translation of the novel is 800+ pages long. I want to read it now, since the movie clearly had to cut out a lot in order to fit that much content in &lt;2 hours. I would have liked to see this as a 1-cour anime TV series.

is that in a physical copy as well?
-----
felt rushed even though it was 2hrs! the very beginning i thought was fastpaced, but told myself to calm down since this is a children's movie after all (correct me if i'm wrong). however the speed really ticked me off. and that part with ree (is that his name? the lizard.) and the cat girl with wataru on their "adventures" felt more like a copout. i would expect that in a show, not 2hr movie.

one of the problems of the rushed feel of the show was the defeating of the villains. it took them one or two tries and they were gone (the sea monster, the priest, and the frog for examples).

because of the hurry, you could hardly bond with any character and the only one you feel for is mitsuru. his life was one of the worst i've ever witnessed. but even so that was seriously near the end of the movie. i certainly liked wataru more than the steamboy MC, tho.

i felt they could have at least put in another half hour of content, but of course everyone would probably be bored with it by then. at least the story would have more time. it IS 800pgs, right?

would give a 6/10, but that would be a disgrace according to the art and animation. if nothing else that's what i'd expect from gonzo and i was not displeased. my favorite part would have to be that glorious scene with the dragons in the clouds because of this. was a bit disappointed that the goddess was CGI. it would have been beautiful animated. the CGI really shows the age.

my second favorite part would have to be when the MCs had to fight the mirrored sides each other, and what winning over it truly required. that was unusual and a nice treat.

because of these things, i'll slap it an 8.

i understand the whole problem of wataru and mitsuru bonding like ed and al, but you must take into account that wataru is a child. children can find someone nice if someone even offers them candy, let alone giving them some. mitsuru, at least how i saw him, was so messed up and broken he didn't want any more bonding and cast wataru aside, but gave in before he knew it.

as for him and his sister coming back, i expected him to be the "transfer student" but i didn't expect aya. for some reason i really liked mitsuru and was back, even though i will admit it made NO SENSE and was just thrown in. maybe the book explains it better, i dunno. i also found him a special child "villain" because he really wasn't that emo type you'd expect, even though i'd say they were really popular during this time. he was different. he regretted everything he was doing, nut was willing to burden that to get what he wanted. he's not a special CHARACTER in that respect, but different anime child than i'd expected him to be.

P.S just a wish on my part, but if only wataru and mitsuru teamed up. that would have been awesome to see...:)
Dec 19, 2015 8:56 AM

Aug 2010
@Aurali I like amv you made :)
And I liked this movie, entertaining and interesting from the beginning till the end :)
Jul 23, 2017 10:00 AM

May 2016
I was shocked to see this being a thing because Brave Story in the PSP was my goddamn childhood almost a decade ago ♡

The movie wasn't boring for me since I think that I had my rose-tinted glasses on xD Some scenes were surprisingly dark, from the divorce to Mitsuru's murder story and that demon killing-spree but there's nothing wrong with that. Onba's reveal really brought back memories of my party's battle with her~

It was a fun movie to watch since I finally knew about Wataru's journey before Tetsuya came along. I would've liked seeing Meladee and Yuno too though.

Oct 13, 2017 10:49 PM

Jul 2015
The story had potential, but felt rushed and incomplete. I guess not going in depth to explain the details is expected of a kids movie though.
Oct 1, 2018 4:42 PM

Oct 2015
Still don't get the brave part but I enjoyed it very much. I'm glad Mitsuru lived and his sister Aya, also Wataru lived with his mother in good health while the the stupid father is for real absent. The voice Wataru heard all the time turned out to be a frog witch who wanted to be a goddess of fortune and as such was using Wataru for the position, she sure died terribly though.

As for the whole movie it was great and loved the characters too. Mitsuru was a cool wizard though, too bad he was stupid enough to mistakenly killed himself.

8/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 29, 2018 4:52 PM

Aug 2016
10/10 movie for the Wilhelm Scream. Didn't think I'd ever see it in an anime, let alone this one but here we are. I think I can finally say I found the perfect anime.
Jan 15, 2019 7:16 PM

Dec 2016
A very solid and fun fantasy movie
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 3, 2019 9:55 PM

Mar 2009
The concept is really good, but the followthrough was bad. Especially the ending, which didn't even make sense.

It did at least pitch it enough to me to make me want to read the novel.
Aug 26, 2020 11:50 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I'm surprised to see so many people who didn't like it, I thought it was great. The pacing was a bit off at times but the anamation looks amazing (especially the CGI as expected from Gonzo) and overall there wasn't really anything I hated about it. My only issue is probably the ending but this *is* a kids movie after all.

I've also ordered the novel and I'm excited to see how it differs from the movie. 824 pages!
Apr 28, 2021 3:29 AM
Jan 2016
MajesticOtaKing said:
I'm a huge fan of this book. I read it several years ago, and two nights ago I found out there was a movie. Unfortunately I got overly excited for it and was thoroughly disappointed. If I hadn't read the book, I get the feeling I would be extremely confused by it. Even if I ignore the fact that the movie left out at least half the book (I understand that this is an adaptation, not a carbon copy), I honestly didn't feel the pace was right at all. I believe this would have made a better 13-episode series than a movie. :

Complete adaptation? Ending the same movie and novel?
Apr 28, 2021 9:32 AM

Nov 2009
gebels said:
MajesticOtaKing said:
I'm a huge fan of this book. I read it several years ago, and two nights ago I found out there was a movie. Unfortunately I got overly excited for it and was thoroughly disappointed. If I hadn't read the book, I get the feeling I would be extremely confused by it. Even if I ignore the fact that the movie left out at least half the book (I understand that this is an adaptation, not a carbon copy), I honestly didn't feel the pace was right at all. I believe this would have made a better 13-episode series than a movie. :

TBH I don't remember clearly at this point. You quoted a post I made 11 years ago lol. I do remember that this movie had a definitive ending, but I don't recall if the ending was the same as the book or not. Sorry I can't be more help than that!
Apr 28, 2021 10:04 AM
Jan 2016
MajesticOtaKing said:
gebels said:

TBH I don't remember clearly at this point. You quoted a post I made 11 years ago lol. I do remember that this movie had a definitive ending, but I don't recall if the ending was the same as the book or not. Sorry I can't be more help than that!

ok thanks for the answer

More topics from this board

» Brave Story - Quotes

3120s - Apr 12, 2018

0 by 3120s »»
Apr 12, 2018 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.