Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 31, 2021 10:38 PM

Oct 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The premise seems to be set during Setsubun (when mamemaki is usually done) and our mc is a distraught boy questioning the demon that lives in his house. The constant back and forth between the mc's inner thoughts and the sounds surrounding him that seems to reaffirm his thoughts made the ending a lot more disturbing, especially during the final act. Now are they a family of demons and is mc also led to believe he is human or is his supposed family the ones that are demons and are manipulating him to believe their related, it's honestly pretty disturbing to think about especially the first one. I wonder what it meant when MC held his forehead in the end. Overall pretty solid episode.
Jan 31, 2021 10:44 PM
Aug 2016
I'm so confused about this episode, what's the hidden message or the plottwist? it has been usually obvious in previous episodes but i feel like i missed something
Jan 31, 2021 11:14 PM
Sep 2014
It felt like the overlap didn't help in actually keeping a focus or properly alternating between it.

They could've done it better, we didn't need every single thought from the boy on it rather than it feeling a bit more balanced in that there's his experiences and the twist where he might be an oni himself (or half oni, that'd make some sense too?)
Feb 1, 2021 1:50 AM

Jan 2021
I don't get this one at all . . .
Feb 1, 2021 11:13 AM

May 2020
EGOIST said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
The premise seems to be set during Setsubun (when mamemaki is usually done) and our mc is a distraught boy questioning the demon that lives in his house. The constant back and forth between the mc's inner thoughts and the sounds surrounding him that seems to reaffirm his thoughts made the ending a lot more disturbing, especially during the final act. Now are they a family of demons and is mc also led to believe he is human or is his supposed family the ones that are demons and are manipulating him to believe their related, it's honestly pretty disturbing to think about especially the first one. I wonder what it meant when MC held his forehead in the end. Overall pretty solid episode.
Thanks for explaining. I can read pretty fast but I still got confused at the end. This was almost as scary as the second episode for me.
Feb 1, 2021 5:49 PM

Oct 2013
This one could have been so much better. I mean the kid was good and I liked the way they did his inner monologue. But the stuff with the mom and dad and demon.....just needed more.

Someone put this under the Reddit for this episode and this made a lot of sense.
"i think what happened was that his mother was seeing another man, but the kid thought it was some demon, so he tried to get it out of the house by throwing beans, since the room was dark when he opened it, i think his mother and her new boyfriend slipped on the beans and fell out of the window, therefore i think the kid accidentally killed his mother and her boyfriend."

I did wonder while watching it if they were going in that direction. Maybe he's just mistaking his mom's new bang buddy as a demon!

I also couldn't help thinking this would make him one of the first kids to do something after they were nhentai "replaced"! He couldn't handle his mom being taken from him so he had to end them. He probably went crazy from seeing them do the downtown demon pound one to many times.....I mean it showed him sneaking up on them multiple times! Mom looked like a MILF, I'd hit that.

Nhentai
MILF REPLACED WIDOW INCEST DEMON SHOTACON SNUFF
Feb 1, 2021 6:48 PM

Jan 2018
Collins89 said:
This one could have been so much better. I mean the kid was good and I liked the way they did his inner monologue. But the stuff with the mom and dad and demon.....just needed more.

Someone put this under the Reddit for this episode and this made a lot of sense.
"i think what happened was that his mother was seeing another man, but the kid thought it was some demon, so he tried to get it out of the house by throwing beans, since the room was dark when he opened it, i think his mother and her new boyfriend slipped on the beans and fell out of the window, therefore i think the kid accidentally killed his mother and her boyfriend."

I did wonder while watching it if they were going in that direction. Maybe he's just mistaking his mom's new bang buddy as a demon!

I also couldn't help thinking this would make him one of the first kids to do something after they were nhentai "replaced"! He couldn't handle his mom being taken from him so he had to end them. He probably went crazy from seeing them do the downtown demon pound one to many times.....I mean it showed him sneaking up on them multiple times! Mom looked like a MILF, I'd hit that.

Nhentai
MILF REPLACED WIDOW INCEST DEMON SHOTACON SNUFF

Yeah, that would make a lot sense. I really didn't understand this episode. Thanks for this.
Feb 2, 2021 12:54 AM
Dec 2017
Another outstanding episode. The whole symoblism with the his mom's new boyfriend being a demon was nice and the constant overlap between inner monolog and real dialog made this episode a lot more uncomfortable.
Even though not as good as the second episode, this one was yet again very good.
Feb 5, 2021 4:56 AM

Sep 2007
He was rubbing his head because he could feel a bump, suggesting a horn that is present in oni

Feb 6, 2021 7:38 AM

Oct 2015
Allografter said:
He was rubbing his head because he could feel a bump, suggesting a horn that is present in oni
oh that actually makes a lot of sense, don't know why that didn't cross my mind at all
Feb 6, 2021 8:34 PM

Mar 2013
This episode was pretty disturbing. I had to watch it twice, to be able to read every single thought/dialogue.

A childs's imagination... basically his dad left because his mother was having an affair and he sees this other man as a demon in his house (after his dad leaves). As he comes to understand that maybe his mom is sad and lonely because dad left, she ended up making the bad decison of making friends with a demon.
When he decides to throw beans at the demon in his mother's bedroom to send him away, because it's dark they end falling from the window...
This is what I understood.
Feb 8, 2021 5:26 AM
Aug 2019
EGOIST said:
It's definitely number 1. At first thought it was a bit of your second guess. Onis have horns on there head, when he threw the beans he got rid of his mom his dad and even himself.
Feb 8, 2021 5:45 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The most disturbing thing was the kids voice. Absolutely horrifying stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 8, 2021 4:07 PM
Jul 2018
I wonder what must have happened to the boy after the episode ended.
Feb 11, 2021 4:18 AM

Jan 2011
I'm a bit half and half on this ep.
Feb 14, 2021 1:31 PM

Mar 2010
It was definitely in a different league than previous episodes, but I don’t think the ending fit. Was he rubbing his head because he felt a horn growing? Like a demon horn? He accidentally killed his mom and her secret boyfriend so he’s becoming a demon? I’m not sure, it needed more clarity. If it were ever adapted to be longer, I think it would do quite well.

Feb 20, 2021 10:26 AM

Jul 2013
A bag of beans could've ended the entire Demon Slayer series really quick.

I just didn't get it.

If he was a demon too, would the beans hurt him?
Mar 19, 2021 4:13 PM

Jan 2017
I liked the vagueness of this episode that leads to lots of interpretations but I agree that hearing the child's inner monologue at the same time as hearing what he was saying was a little rough.

Here is my guess as to what happened:

The child had trouble differentiating between demons and humans, even comparing his mother to a demon when she got angry. When he was throwing the beans he could hear his mother screaming but when he turned on the lights she wasn't there. He assumed that she had become a demon that he eliminated too and was checking his head for a horn to see if he had one because he was the spawn of a demon or the rage he built up had turned him into one.
Mar 21, 2021 1:58 AM

Oct 2017
What was this about? Was his mother seeing another man secretly, was the kid actually a demon and killed both of them?
DrumbottleMar 21, 2021 8:16 AM
May 15, 2021 11:25 AM
May 2021
Here's my take on this episode:
Both parents died. If you could notice subtle hints like "I'm going to work on a holiday" or "no one seems to interact with the mom other than the kid" or "by the time the kid went to his room after the argument, the door never opened but the mom appeared to console her child out of nowhere" or "by the time the kid turned on the light, only broken glasses can be found, no signs of struggle, no footmarks, even the room seemed to be empty other than the drawer". In all honesty, I had to slow down the vid to 0.44 to properly notice these hints. Kudos to the concept! I'm impressed. I love a well-crafted psychological puzzle
Oct 31, 2021 8:12 PM

Aug 2012
The simultaneous top and bottom subtitles kinda ruined this for me. Creating a disorienting feel is certainly the point of these, but all it makes me do is replay the scenes immediately, sapping the story of any ability to build tension, because if I don't, I just feel like I'm missing a ton of relevant context. Youta's thoughts and the scene they played over like the argument, both felt relevant.

I don't mind the ending being vague, and I think it's a novel concept placing this so thoroughly within Youta's mind. Because it does a good job making you doubt whether the mom's actually friends with a demon or if that's just his childlike interpretation of the events. The idea that the ending could lack the supernatural element and he just pelted them with enough beans til they fell out the window and died, I can see that as being valid but it's not what I came up with. And it honestly would feel almost looney tunes-esque in death so if that's what they were intended, I'm glad they left it open.

I do prefer the idea that they were all demons, that's why the mom missed the bean throwing festival, she couldn't risk it. And that's why the kid touch his forehead, feeling the horns he has budding, something he earlier stated as proof of a demon.
Nov 23, 2021 4:44 PM

Apr 2012
Nothing supernatural here... just a kid trying to cope with his mom having an affair by rationalizing it as something really bad only demons are capable off.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Dec 28, 2021 7:41 AM

Feb 2020
All that dialogue and the simultaneous top and bottom subtitles ruined the whole episode. I couldn't concentrate at all.
Feb 21, 2022 2:45 PM

Jan 2016
Maaan they really should have told their kid they were a family of demons.

Thats awful, he accidentally banished them...
Apr 20, 9:01 AM

Feb 2014
So he is a demon, and throwing beans like that at her mom and that other guy made them disappear.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 10 Discussion

towelgirl21 - Mar 14, 2021

20 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 9:58 AM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 6 Discussion

Fishcaek-Chan - Feb 14, 2021

18 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 9:12 AM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 2 Discussion

EGOIST - Jan 17, 2021

28 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Yami Shibai 8 Episode 1 Discussion

EGOIST - Jan 10, 2021

21 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 8:36 AM

» Do you plan to watch this?

Paulotronator - Nov 28, 2020

31 by Punkero »»
Apr 20, 8:28 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.