Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 13, 2016 7:45 AM

Mar 2016
The water looked so good in this, I really liked the show and can't wait for the second season.
NanDemoNai_Oct 13, 2016 7:54 AM
Oct 16, 2016 12:11 PM

May 2011
It's crazy how much better this is than the game lmao
Oct 16, 2016 1:25 PM

Feb 2014
I found this show boring..... maybe because I have never played the VN...?

Sure the action scenes, animation and art are awesome... but... aside some highlights, other things didn't please me.

5/10
Oct 18, 2016 9:39 AM

Nov 2011
Improbable that everything ended with this episode, however, a more concrete taste of the power of Dominus, was auspicable. In the context on Alisha, I did not quite understood what happened, I can only imagine that to save her, Sorey has used his magic. Overall I am satisfied of the plot, although the best part is the graphics and sound department: the music is fabulous in all circumstances.

My vote is 7.85/10.
Oct 19, 2016 2:53 PM
Nov 2010
Despite being mere advertisement with a lot of stuff probably omitted for obvious reasons, it was at least well-produced and it didn't fall apart too much.
Oct 28, 2016 5:55 AM

Mar 2015
This was a great series, never played the game but it's safe to assume this game-to-anime adaptation was pretty good?

Looking forward to S2!!

8/10
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Nov 1, 2016 3:33 AM

Mar 2014
Well, having played almost the whole game between episodes 11 and 12, I can tell for sure that this anime is really bad as an adaptation (for instance there isn't that much Alisha x Sorey romantic moments in the game and the squire pact did happen earlier and Rose should be unaware about Dezel existence for now) but I enjoyed this anime nonetheless, I'll just see it as a bonus for Alisha x Sorey shippers.

9/10
Nov 7, 2016 7:53 AM

Oct 2013
THANK GOD ! i thought Alisha died because i saw a death flag, damn that scared me to death, i thought it'd be bittersweet ending. In the other hand i'm so glad that Alisha can finally see seraphs, and her expression was priceless when she saw them for the first time.

2nd Season confirmed in 2k17, yaaay more adventure coming up, can't wait for another eyegasmic art, thank you so much UFOTABLE, keep the production budget high will ya.

Overall score 8/10
Nov 9, 2016 2:02 PM

Aug 2013
This show was a complete mess,great animation though.
6/10
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Nov 11, 2016 10:42 PM

Nov 2007
I love how everything is pretty much different compared to the game aside from the first couple episodes makes it like a new story...I could do without the Berseria extras though, that could've been an entirely different anime series...the game isn't even out yet.
Nov 13, 2016 6:51 PM

Jul 2016
I haven't played the game so just as an anime i can say it was quite enjoyable. I was a bit confused in this episode due to the Alisha/Sorey scene but after reading the comments I've come to understand what it was all about.

The animation is simply breathtaking making it more fun to watch. Not knowing or taking into consideration if it was a good adaptation of the game or not I give it a 8/10.
Nov 14, 2016 1:31 PM
May 2011
rather boring and average anime at best.

I think those 2 random episodes they put in really hurt the show overall, i feel like the show could have used those extra episodes to flesh things out more.

I haven't played the game this is based on so idk how it compares to that.
Nov 17, 2016 1:43 AM

Nov 2014
Maximum 7/10 for this series and that is taking into account the potential of it which obviously was not realised.
Dec 3, 2016 2:52 AM

Jul 2013
i thought for a second there that Rose ca see Seraphs looks like she can only feel their presence. As for Alisha, well she deserved it.

King of Calamity doesn't look that intimidating.
Dec 8, 2016 9:47 AM

Jul 2014
Ahhhh I really loved this anime! It's actually making me consider getting the game... though I probably won't. lol

But I definitely can't wait for season 2!! I really like the characters and the setting and just everything~ Wish there was more of Dezel though... he was only shown a little but I like him already... and not just because Daisuke Ono voices is his seiyuu. xD
IvyDec 8, 2016 9:50 AM
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 25, 2016 7:58 AM

Dec 2015
An interesting episode to lead to the second half but it almost didntt feel like a middle-point episod at all.

4/5

It seems potentially good for a typical fantasy quest, + I always liked "corruption entities".
The flashy action and scenery were almost constantly overflooded by light and other 3D effects, backgrounds made the characters look flat and stick out like paperboard figures, and if you add to that some distractingly ugly full 3DCG environments... at least the characters were finely drawn.
Bonus: two currently useless episodes !

Possible score: 5/10 (can go up depending of the full series) It's strange to score half-series -_-"
I feel almost guilty to add -1 just because of how awful it could look like.
Rei_IIIDec 25, 2016 8:07 AM
Jan 2, 2017 11:50 AM

Oct 2015
Poor Mikleo, I was sure Sorey promised him they would explore some ruins after the war but apparently his business with Rose goes first....
Jan 9, 2017 1:14 PM

May 2010
Wtf? How did Alisha escaped? What was with that giant gust of wind? Also why the hell did they introduce Velvet Crowe if they weren'g going to to anything with her?

Terrible.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jan 9, 2017 9:20 PM

Jul 2015
Confucius said:
Wtf? How did Alisha escaped? What was with that giant gust of wind? Also why the hell did they introduce Velvet Crowe if they weren'g going to to anything with her?

By gush of wind, do you mean when Alisha and Rose were surrounded? If so, then wasn't it that Seraphim dude with the hat that made that 'gush of wind' lol. But I do agree with you on the Velvet Crowe part. I mean I know that she'll probably have some role later on, but it still kinda felt pointless to have shown the whole jail scene if it had no significance whatsoever to the rest of the season..

Also, ya the last fight scene was kind of a disappointment. I mean I get that it's not the final hero vs boss fight, but I mean it felt so rushed.

Overall, I give this a 7.5/10 (rounding it down to 7 due to no half-points). Looking forward to the 2nd season, like many others.

caught in the wonder
Jan 12, 2017 10:43 PM

Nov 2010
WHOA. WTF. WHAT IS THIS BEGINNING. DID I SKIP AN EPISODE OR SOMETHING?
---------------YUP. I TOTALLY DID> HAHAHA. [[ i just went back to watch it. i'm correct now]]
Princess Alisha is down. Rose is pissed. Master tells Rose that the war is over and Alisha closes her eyes. Lunarre is back and even he hopes that Alisha doesn't croak. The evil chick is just enjoying the show.
See, I got in this series late. I started watching this after I found out that the second season is here but I still have the mixed feeling----OMGGG> THE BLACK GUY. I"VE BEEN WAITING THIS ENTIRE SEASON TO MEET YOU AND IT'S THE LAST EPISODE> DANG.
Awwww. Sorey and Alisha. She opened her eyes. She's going to be okay. I totally thought that this would be something along the lines of Aldnoah.Zero. OMGGG. He wants to be her squire. Now they'll always be together. omggg. If that ain't love. omg.
Lailah gives out the incantation. Homegirl is def good at that. Sorey gives her a true name.
That reminds me that I was so happy when Sorey already knew Mikleo's true name.
Like in battle.----OMG. ALISHA CAN FINALLY SEE THE OTHER SERAPHS. SHE JOINED THE CLUB.
Anyway, like in the battle, everybody's like "YOU GOTTA CALL HIS TRUE NAME" and Mikleo's already like, "LOL. HE ALREADY KNOWS SOOOO". Besties.
omg. The General ... Brandon? iono. He shows his true form and Sorey is super pissed. "YOU TRIED TO KILL MY GIRL." where did all of this malevolence come from. I was about to ask where Rose was going but Rose totally is going to be his seraph, right? Do the others not know that Rose is a seraph? HAHA. OMG. THAT WOULD MEAN THAT SHE'S SEEN MIKLEO FROM THE VERY BEGINNING. Only Alisha knows so far, right?

HAHAHHAA. THE HAT GUY. OMG. I LOVE HIM> He'S SO COOL. Mikleo, do you have a crush on him? he was fighting with everybody and being all sarcastic and he looks at the hat guy like, "Yeah, i'm gucci mane".

omggg. So I've never gotten into these Tales of series before but this is super good. I found myself immersed in these characters. The pacing was weird at times and there was an awkward pause sort of like in a cutscene or a filler cutscene or something but it was all still very great. I love the bromance between Sorey and Mikleo, of course. The girls are so badass and I finally get to meet the hat guy. I'm excited for season two.
Jan 24, 2017 3:42 AM

Oct 2015
Gem said:
Confucius said:

By gush of wind, do you mean when Alisha and Rose were surrounded? If so, then wasn't it that Seraphim dude with the hat that made that 'gush of wind' lol. But I do agree with you on the Velvet Crowe part. I mean I know that she'll probably have some role later on, but it still kinda felt pointless to have shown the whole jail scene if it had no significance whatsoever to the rest of the season..

Also, ya the last fight scene was kind of a disappointment. I mean I get that it's not the final hero vs boss fight, but I mean it felt so rushed.

Overall, I give this a 7.5/10 (rounding it down to 7 due to no half-points). Looking forward to the 2nd season, like many others.
she's from tales of berseria, they probably just wanted to advertise the game. She's not really from Zestiria

OT:also 5/10 plot wasn't that good but the animation though :o especially that burning rock(?) hurled on a catapult that was cool
Jan 27, 2017 12:57 PM

Sep 2015
I love all the hate on this version of tales. While Zestiria is not an amazing game it is far from the worst of the series. Out of the 14 tales games Zest usually ranks somewhere in the middle depending on list anywhere from 6-8 our of 14. It has a meta score rating of 77 which is a good rating. So it's not that bad of a game, ppl just seem upset that they're favorite game didn't get an anime.

No getting to the story. Zest was a fun ride I have not played the game so being an AO I think this helps my view on the anime. Characters are decent although Sorey is your typical good character that is rather ignorant, his character is also somewhat bland to me. Alisha and Rose were better characters than our main. Also Lailah's animation seemed off, her demeanor never really changes compared to the other spirits but that could be her character design.

The story was interesting enough although not strong it makes sense and is easy to follow. Is it something out of the ordinary not really but it is unique enough with the seraphim and human relation. Nothing special however not bad either.

Art and music are top notch as to be expected from Ufotable. If they get one thing done well it's art and music.

For me what hurt this series was the 2 episodes for Berseria mixed in. It severed nothing more than advertisement purposes which took away time from the main anime. It was just weird to spend 2 episodes on an introduction on characters never to be seen again.

Overall I enjoyed this series. I was going to rate a 9 but I'll give it an 8 due to the Berseria side show as well as the ending of making Alishia your squire without elaborating as to what that does for her.
QcK_Dagger_HeaTJan 27, 2017 1:02 PM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jan 27, 2017 7:08 PM
Oct 2013
I personally hope it will have different ending than the video game ver. Because the game ver ending was kinda sad when I think of it.
Feb 16, 2017 11:32 PM

May 2008
4/10 ~5 episodes were good. 5 out of 12. No matter how good Berseria's was it had no place in the anime and I'm ignoring it.

I liked the last episode and the 1st half of this one, but the 2nd half is... dumb. I'm guessing they're retconning the issue with Alisha being Sorey's squire because there's, currently, no reason for him to make her one.

Overall, this anime is all about looking pretty (and good action, I do have to admit) and not much of actually telling a good story. While there were a few cool ideas, that's all they were. Very little is developed and half the time when they are, it's done quick-like. The characters themselves, except Alisha, are pretty flat and boring, especially Sorey post ep. 4-5. This felt very much like it was Alisha's, not Sorey's story, by the end which would be fine if it started out that way.

People say the anime's story is better than the game's, but comparing the two at this point, I heavily disagree. Even with the few good changes made, I can easily say that, at the very least, the game (well the skits, tbh) had me enjoying the characters. I can't say the same for the anime.
Feb 18, 2017 12:10 PM

May 2012
Really awesome ending of this first season of this anime! Really loved it quite a lot.
From the prologue I already knew this was going to be an interesting and intensely packed anime. And well it surely delivered!

I am definitely looking forward to see what the second season will have to offer, but all in all for this first season it was a very good watch!
Mar 11, 2017 6:19 PM
Mar 2012
Alright for a straight fantasy nakama powerup journey, great ufo visuals & some osts.
Squire could've been placed better, not right before leaving. I find Alisha the most interesting & developed character, tho disagree with her ideals. Some faces esp Sorey too bland, might be zestiria design, no emotion except happy pacman.
Large war looks good no bad cg.
Beauty & the Beast, lol this calamity pair.
Why Dezel randomly joins?
What's Blanka's (foxy) role besides tagging near Alisha?
Apr 5, 2017 4:51 AM

Dec 2012
That was a pretty satisfying conclusion to this first season. The moment when Alisha could finally see the Seraphim was a particularly nice touch. I've never played any of the Tales of games, but it's a series I've been very fascinated by for a while now. Perhaps this might be the spark to finally make me go for it. Looking forward to the second season and I particularly hope to see more of Velvet Crowe, assuming that part fits in later on.

8/10
ZekkenshinApr 5, 2017 4:54 AM
Apr 8, 2017 10:58 AM
Apr 2017
DragonSlayer_19 said:
alright about this episode . My only thing is with the squire pact . They made sorey turn alisha into a squire to let her finally see seraphims which was nice . But this made the squire pact kinda pointless since squires are supposed to aid the shepherd in purification and now alisha and sorey will split ways since she has political stuff to deal with. The fight with the lord of calamity was of course going to be different since the circumstances are different (the war wasn't stopped in game so he used the soldiers to attack sorey instead of phantoms) , but I'm okay with it. Everything else was very good . And thanks they removed Rose's deus Ex Machina which many don't seem to mention ... 8/10

Tohka_Yatogami said:
The Alisha x Sorey scene was so beautiful!
Kamiyan3991 said:
The last episode was almost painful to watch. This time, I disliked all changes that Ufotable had made.

1) Squire Pact scene was utterly pointless.
2) Final fight was totally stupid.
3) They ruined the scene with Lord of Calamity. It was nicely done in the game, but here? Meh.

Adaptation itself is very good but last episode was just awful. Plz, no more Alisha on the screen. She is retarded as heck, and she can't even compare to Rose.

I don't know a lot about the game so you may find my thoughts a little pointless. But for some reason I think Alisha departing with Sorey might actually help him. Though S2 is out, I haven't seen it yet. I just want to say my inferences so far S1 - anime adaptation is concerned. "Alisha wants to prevent bloodbath." That is all. I think Sorey understood it too, that to end the malevolence, he should find its root. As for wars, which seem to feed the Lord of Calamity, aren't they results of politics gone wrong? Maybe this is what Alisha wants to point out.

I like her character so much, it is so consistent. It doesn't make her too boring though, because that makes her human. Flat though her character is, at least she is doing her best they she can. She is doing what she is supposed to do.
Apr 29, 2017 3:24 PM

Apr 2017
I didn't like it to be honest.

The plot was decent I guess, but the characters made it terrible.

Everyone was weirdly optimistic and had no logic or realistic view.

Sorey annoyed me with his optimism, along with his -servant- friend.

The girls acted the same and had the same goal: optimism and peace for days.

None of them realized that human nature makes it impossible. I'm optimistic and would LOVE a peaceful world were everyone gets fed, no one is left wanting, and equality is spread throughout. Unfortunately, I live in the real world. People are greedy, power hungry, corrupt, angry, vengeful, apathetic, jealous, arrogant, etc. Not even touching on sexism, racism, etc. Malevolence is here now and it won't leave. I don't get why they're so naive.

I also don't get why people like Alisha. She annoys me the most and is the worst character in the anime. She literally prioritized a fun festival over people dying from an epidemic. She was trash at the beginning. Then she started flip flopping. I only care about the festival! I care about the people! I want to help the sick people! Sick people annoy me! I'll be the first to die! I want peace! I'll have to go to war!

She's annoying. Also... How are the people at the round table bad again? Like where is HER proof? I'll tell you her proof, he's an ugly old man that disagrees with her and wants her to make sacrifices. You know, the sacrifices that she constantly preaches about. "I care for the people and want to be a great princess!" Yet she disregards ANY opinion that disagrees with hers and finds herself the right person. She's like a dictator! "Why are you disagreeing with me? I'm right like always! My opinion is the best and anyone who disagrees with me is evil and/or corrupt! We'll be doing it MY way since I'm right! Anyone who disagrees will be beaten up and disregarded!" Why is she the main character? Why do people like her?

The ending is dumb with everything being happy and optimistic. Y'all realize that people died and probably have family members that are angry and want revenge? You realize that the people who died in the war left behind malevolence that will only be replaced by new people right?

This anime gets a -100/10. Just terrible.
Sep 2, 2017 7:41 PM

Jun 2013
I am not much familiar with the Tales game series but I heard that this one was bad so I was a little skeptical when I started watching the anime. Now the story is interesting but it gives me the whole King Arthur feels with Sorey being Arthur, Alisha being Merlin and the seraphims representing knights of the round table. And it wasn't anything special since the tales series follow the same typical concept of an optimistic protagonist trying to save the world, meets companions along the way, fights off evil etc. There were also like two episodes of Tales of Berseria or something which felt unnecessary and random even if their timelines are intertwined.

Now the characters are the boring part of the show especially the protagonists. I felt like both Sorey and Alisha have similar personalities and are blissfully idealistic that it makes wonder like what are they are even trying to achieve. On the other hand, their companions are a little more understanding and mature.

I agree with the Lord of Calamity in the end who states that malevolence is part of human nature which will keep coming back no matter what. It's like the most rational and intelligent thing someone said in the entire show.

6/10 because I liked the action.
I-JitsuSep 2, 2017 7:53 PM
Feb 4, 2018 6:33 AM

Sep 2017
Overall the animation was very pretty, the characters kept the same personalities as in the game (mostly), action sequences were well directed and the story was coherent throughout. The only downside is that much like the game the plot was fairly solid, but not really anything special

I'd give it a 7/10
Sep 12, 2018 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
Berseria was a quite a bit more interesting honestly, but this first cour was ok but it kinda dropped off abit these last couple of eps.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jun 15, 2019 9:48 AM

Aug 2013
Only liked Berseria episode. Magilou and Velvet were handled pretty well
Aug 14, 2020 1:25 PM

Nov 2016
Okay, so the final boss is a furry and the shepherd can make other companions power-up like in Magi nice.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Jul 12, 2021 5:16 AM

May 2018
The lord of calamity is a feline lmao

and good thing Alisha has recovered now. Now we're off to the second season!

5/10
Apr 10, 2022 1:00 PM

Feb 2020
A very good and emotional finale.

It was a touching moment when Alisha was finally able to see the seraphs for the first time.

Overall, this was great first season. Definitely much better than I expected. This is visually one of the most beautiful anime I have ever seen. All the battle scenes were especially stunning.

Great job, ufotable!

SerafosMay 9, 9:57 PM
Sep 9, 2022 5:10 AM
Ninja Consultant

Mar 2022
A good ending to the first season. By the last two or three episodes the plot began to diverge more from the game, but I felt the changes made sense: the same things that work in video games, don't always work equally well in other media. Focusing almost completely on a single main protagonist and showing little of the context around them apart from what they experience from their own POV works well in a JRPG, but it'd make for a less attractive anime. So we got considerably more Alisha, and I like it.

I'll definitely be watching season 2 soon.
Beep boop
Aug 15, 2023 11:02 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
This is already better than the game due to the lack of that annoying sidequest that halted the story (where you collect the iris gems), the shitty gameplay and Rose’s godawful AI, but I still can’t like the anime since it’s so fucking bland. Hate how this dreck got an adaptation instead of like, literally any other tales games. And I wanted to see animated Eizen too u_u.
Dec 6, 2023 6:09 PM
Mar 2019
I will not be bothering with Season 2.
I have no idea where some of the characters who appeared, have gone to, nor will i ever find out.
This was hard to follow when i first tried to finish, coming back, still lost me.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2016

138 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:31 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2016

105 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:30 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

128 by bushman66 »»
Dec 5, 2023 5:28 PM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jul 10, 2016

220 by bushman66 »»
Nov 22, 2023 11:38 AM

Poll: » Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2016

204 by LeonhartAugust »»
Aug 15, 2023 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.