Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 19, 2016 10:14 AM
Jul 2018
@KolmeDG

As we hear every time we watch this show, it is already revealed that he'll become the king. So I personally think that this is not a story to excite about WHAT will be accomplished, but HOW they accomplish something.

That is exactly the point I'm discussing about.

If you expect war story, may be this is not suitable for you because this is a legend. A legend contains even supernatural powers so it is quite natural to be unrealistic.

I said it, it doesn't have to be realistic and even if it's a legend that doesn't approve the luck Arslan has everytime he faces an obsticle. In many myths and legends can be seen a hero supported by the gods, but still faces traumas or difficult situations that literally cannot always be easily solved by luck.

Well, this anime IS made considering child viewers! This anime is made to be on the air on Sunday at 5 pm.
However, original novel is definitely not for young children (I won't tell why here though...). Story is a bit more complicated and each characters' personality shows more various aspects, both villains and heroes. Though some detail part of the story is modified into safe-for-kids style, most of the episodes and the core of the story are same. So if you follow the story more carefully, you may find lots of hidden stories behind it.

I found it hard to think that this wasn't a kids show since there was blood, something that isn't supposed to be shown to a kid. Plus, the rating of this show says is aimed for viewers above 17, includes violence & profanity, except if mal doesn't always give the correct information.

He is only 14. I think it is quite difficult for such a young boy make an official decision as a prince by himself always. Especially, Arslan is raised just as same as an ordinal citizen boy for most of his life. He will gradually gain such skill considering that decision making requires great amount of inteligence. Narsus will train him.

Well, I don't mean to attack you, just wanted to say my opinion concerning your post. If this makes you feel bad, I apologize and delete this.

Yes, he is 14 , but as I mentioned earlier, we see another character, Hilmes, who was also around 14, but still, because he faced a trauma, he was forced to make decision on his own. Nobody told him that he should retrieve his crown, it was him who wanted to take it back and made his own path to achieved that goal. Seeing him beside Arslan makes me feel like the roles were mistaken or maybe the writing isn't quite convincible about Arslan's goals and feelings.

I don't feel bad, you don't need to apologize, I respect your opinion.
Jul 19, 2016 11:33 AM

Aug 2010
This episode really helped Hermes' character.
I even felt inspired to make an AMV tribute.

If anyone's interested:

Jul 19, 2016 5:29 PM

Jun 2013
Irina is really pretty
Jul 19, 2016 10:35 PM
Feb 2016
yuliyana29 said:
@KolmeDG

As we hear every time we watch this show, it is already revealed that he'll become the king. So I personally think that this is not a story to excite about WHAT will be accomplished, but HOW they accomplish something.

That is exactly the point I'm discussing about.

If you expect war story, may be this is not suitable for you because this is a legend. A legend contains even supernatural powers so it is quite natural to be unrealistic.

I said it, it doesn't have to be realistic and even if it's a legend that doesn't approve the luck Arslan has everytime he faces an obsticle. In many myths and legends can be seen a hero supported by the gods, but still faces traumas or difficult situations that literally cannot always be easily solved by luck.

Well, this anime IS made considering child viewers! This anime is made to be on the air on Sunday at 5 pm.
However, original novel is definitely not for young children (I won't tell why here though...). Story is a bit more complicated and each characters' personality shows more various aspects, both villains and heroes. Though some detail part of the story is modified into safe-for-kids style, most of the episodes and the core of the story are same. So if you follow the story more carefully, you may find lots of hidden stories behind it.

I found it hard to think that this wasn't a kids show since there was blood, something that isn't supposed to be shown to a kid. Plus, the rating of this show says is aimed for viewers above 17, includes violence & profanity, except if mal doesn't always give the correct information.

He is only 14. I think it is quite difficult for such a young boy make an official decision as a prince by himself always. Especially, Arslan is raised just as same as an ordinal citizen boy for most of his life. He will gradually gain such skill considering that decision making requires great amount of inteligence. Narsus will train him.

Well, I don't mean to attack you, just wanted to say my opinion concerning your post. If this makes you feel bad, I apologize and delete this.

Yes, he is 14 , but as I mentioned earlier, we see another character, Hilmes, who was also around 14, but still, because he faced a trauma, he was forced to make decision on his own. Nobody told him that he should retrieve his crown, it was him who wanted to take it back and made his own path to achieved that goal. Seeing him beside Arslan makes me feel like the roles were mistaken or maybe the writing isn't quite convincible about Arslan's goals and feelings.

I don't feel bad, you don't need to apologize, I respect your opinion.

May be the rate on MAL is set to release this anime in the US. The director of this anime said that he considered child viewers when he made this anime in audio commentary in DVD of the 1st season. In Japan, the restriction seems to be less strict. I don't know if it's good or bad though...

To make decision by oneself may be an important skill, but rather than that, this story seems to emphasize that a king needs the skill to gain a talented men's loyalty rather than having each talent by himself. As Narsus says, "a talented jockey doesn't have to be able to run as fast as his horse." This may be the reason that Arslan always ask for others' opinions and don't decide by himself. Well, he gradually gain the skill to make decisions though.
In fact, in this story, person of royal blood who always makes his decision by himself tends to be depicted as a bad tyrant or an evil person, and sometimes they lament for not having talented subordinates.
-but I won't say you should agree with the story's idea which I assumed...
KolmeDGJul 20, 2016 6:10 PM
Jul 20, 2016 2:41 AM

Sep 2008
Hilmes is basically my RPG characters...get betrayed, get revenge at all costs.
Well damn, now I can't hate him.

I love two sides of the coin setup.
Jul 21, 2016 8:18 PM

Mar 2014
I was hoping that Daryun and Narsus would stay and the rest would go with Arslan. Thought it would be interesting to see how they fair without their strategist and strongest guy. But ehh, dont always get what you want.

Can't believe i originally thought this season was gonna be the the end of the story, but definitely not.
Jul 24, 2016 10:33 PM

Mar 2009
I think I'm in love with Irina.

Thanks to this episode, I really warmed up to Hilmes. I can sympathize with him, but his revenge will probably destroy him in the end.

Is Irina the true child of Tahamine?
Jul 25, 2016 10:09 AM

May 2014
Splendid cover art at the end 👌
Lmao, the narrator's taking it too far, 49.993 people left XD
Yo Hilmes' backstory made this episode, and the soundtrack + the heroes' return was splendid.
10/10.
Oh right, before I forget, whatever happened with Kubard.
Jul 28, 2016 8:04 AM

Apr 2015
Another perfect episode for me.

Finally we saw Hilmes' past and a little bit about irina . I just hope she will be safe in that place that he suggested.

I already knew they would follow arslan because of the OVA but from now on i don't think i have more info about what will happen.
5/5
Jul 30, 2016 4:57 AM

Jul 2009
Hilmes doesn't seems like a bad guy after this episode, Andragoras is really evil!
I am shipping the romance of the blind princess and Hilmes, sad thing they didn't show the kiss...
Jul 31, 2016 7:54 PM

Jun 2013
I wasn't expecting that backstory on Hilmes and the blind princess but it seemed so rushed that I couldn't appreciate it much.

I hope Arslan will become stronger as time goes by. He sure relies on his squad a lot and it's kind of boring me, tbh. I want to witness his individual growth and I know these people he meets are essential to that growth but he's relying on them most of the time and they're like the stars of the series and he's just... meh.
臭い-
Aug 4, 2016 4:46 AM

Feb 2016
yuliyana29 said:
MoeGod said:

Which really makes sense rather than following some asshole king. A true leader is someone that people are willing to follow because they truly believe in him. You call Arslan pampered but what about that asshole king who just simply marched in and literally stole what Arlan built?

You're talking about Arslan growing but the question is did you really watch (and understand) the series from season 1? there have been many instances where the gang let Arslan made his own decisions and grow by himself. Not too long ago (1 or 2 eps maybe) Narsus forbade Daryun from stopping Arslan from confronting the barbarians who slaughtered innocent people in front of the fortress. That was only one small instance and there have been many, especially during the Sindhura arc where they simply let Arslan learned to make his own decision and grow as a potential king. Nurturing and protecting are not the same as spoiling. It's not exactly a king's job to fight on the frontline or repel people who are trying to kill him. That's what knights and guards are for.

I didn't say that they should be following the asshole king. The point is that they are too unrealisticlly loyal to Arslan which makes the series kinda boring and predictable because you know that they would solve everything for him and they won't betray him for anything. So far, everytime Arslan had to face some difficulty I did't take it seriously, I couldn't, because I knew that someone would save the day for him (even if it means a falcon), and I wasn't deceived by my presupmtions. Every nation that had come to conquer his land was defeated so easily by his squad it just becomes so boring and I can't praise Arslan or his squad for beating some people that are too dumb for them. So yes, I have watched the whole season 1, as you can see, and I don't buy this so called heroic story, aside from other people who haven't read much books or watched shows about war(it doesn't have to be realistic ones). If there wasn't any blood in this anime, this would have been for kids, where you are supposed to root for the good guys and hate the bad guys. I like good guys, but Arslan wouldn't have learned anything from his tragedies if Narsus didn't tell him what to, he was even neutral about the slaves until Narsus told him what's the point, he joyfully ate at Narsus after the night he experienced the defeat and the picture of it which is not logical to be ok in your mind after seeing that for the first time and when he found out that his parents are not his parents, he just let go of it so simply. Of course he didn't love or feel anything about them as his parents, but then, what is there so sorry to feel about. He just needs to regain his kingdom because Narsus told him to. And it didn't looked like he is teaching him, but more like he is pouring his ideals in Arslan's mind which looks like he is manipulating him, but neh, he is just loyal to him because Arslan is noble and that's reason enough. Even though in essence that would mean that he is using you because you are so noble (dumb) to see that. Or most likely it was just the writing that wasn't so good to make me feel that Arslan actually cared from the bottom of his heart for the people.

The episode where Narsus forbade Daryun from stopping Arslan from confronting the barbarians who slaughtered innocent people in front of the fortress was plain stupidity because if this was in reality, rushing like that without calculation/strategy for how to defeat an army that you don't know, will get you killed, besides that, seems like Arslan have some kind of luckiness to not be killed by an older experienced king. But you know, the foreign king has to act dumb and powerless so Arslan can win or be saved. Plot convenience at its finest. Trust me, the next time Turan or any other nation attacks, they will be defeated before we even see them do that. In the end, everything Arslan does is finished by his squad, not because he as a king doesn't need to do much as his knights and guards should do, but because he can't and he is always getting helpless. I know that he can't do everything all by himself, but he is way too much relying on his squad and everytime he speaks I can only see that he is saying what he has to say, following Narsus' ideals and words or just encouraging everyone, not that he actually thinks something straight by himself. You call that growing up?

About Andragoras, I can hardly see a bold man being pampered, but selfish, yes I can see that. But that's what this show needs, a villain, someone who will prevent Arslan from gaining what he wants. Everyone is talking about him being afraid, no, he isn't afraid, he just wants Arslan out of his way because he is not his child and he is still a king, so he wouldn't be grateful for what Arslan (Narsus) has achieved so far. Knowing that Arslan alone, can't gather 50 000 people, it's the perfect way to stop him from interfering in his plans. Or maybe he wants to make Arslan do something on his own beacuse a Parsian king is not like any other king for whom people would do everything for; to be a king of Pars you even need to kill a lion with your own bare hands. Not that I expect to see that from this little boy, but that's what Andragoras may think. Either way, even if he is an asshole, I don't mind it as long as it makes Arslan rethink his life and sweat a little bit by himself. Which now it's ruined by his unrealisticly loyal squad.

You the real mvp. Sorry to drag this example out but if you wanna see a good example of the dynamics of a powerful manipulative cold-hearted father and a helplessly loyal son, try Zuko and Ozai.

I was really excited about seeing the immense character development and plot possibilties of Arslan being cast into the world alone... But that would make the story writing a bit difficult, nah let's just have a feel good moment and have the ever perfect undefeatable team Arslan come to the rescue again with their plot armour safely strapped on.

This show doesn't hand a candle not just in anime but your typical hollywood series. I don't get why this show is praised so much.
Cloud_IllusionAug 4, 2016 4:53 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Aug 9, 2016 12:35 PM

Jan 2011
So, the real question is, what exactly is the familar relationship between Shagad and Narsus? We probably won't see any of the other interesting questions resolved in this short series anyways ;)
Aug 9, 2016 7:59 PM

Jan 2013
Fairly good episode, enjoyed the ending and the backstory.
Aug 12, 2016 11:45 PM
Feb 2016
yuliyana29 said:
I'm laughing so hard, this is freaking ridiculous. I really thought the babysitting over Arslan was truly over but his bunch just couldn't stay still. Jesus, they just won't let him grow on his own. Pampered boy Arslan.

Sorry to quote again, but I found it interesting that some Jimsa's lines in previous story say exactly the same thing and couldn't help ...

"The boy named Arslan is obviously weak-willed and incompetent. He is just a puppet of his subordinates. There is no way he can be a great ruler of a country."

"That prince is just a naive weak-willed boy! He is far weaker than Lord Daryun and Lord Kishward as a warrior and he completely relays on Lord Narsus about tactics! I wonder if the boy has anything he is capable of. "

I like Jimsa, not because of those lines, though...
Aug 20, 2016 9:38 AM
May 2010
thebrentinator24 said:
Pretty nice to get some backstory about Hilmes. I guess now we understand why becoming king is so important to him.

I'm in total agreement with @yuliyana29, I really thought we were gonna see Arslan fend for himself for a change. If anything, I thought he was gonna be off on his own for at least an episode, maybe two, before inevitably reuniting with Daryun and the others, but instead, he isn't even by himself for a full episode. Seriously, there's some potential right here for character development and the opportunity has gone down the drain.

I have to admit, Daryun and the others disobeying Andragoras like that is pretty ballsy, if they ever have to face his wrath, then they're definitely fucked.

Yeah!!! I totally agree with you... I was kinda disappointed when everyone met up with Arslan so quickly... I just... expected Arslan to maybe be slightly more independent? So like you said, an episode or two with Arlsan by himself would've been nice, but knowing that there's only 8 episodes in total in this season, I guess it's to be expected... :( Meh... XD
Aug 22, 2016 3:52 AM

Jul 2014
Andragoras really is such an asshole.

Also I'm surprised by Kishward. I was confident he would be on Arslan's side. If he did do as Andragoras commanded to stop Daryun on his way out of the castle, I had thought (and hoped) he was simply doing it as an act to not give away his true loyalties but he actually attacked Daryun for real... ._. But he did smile when he saw Azrael fly away so I'm still hoping I'm right about him really being on Arslan's side.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Aug 30, 2016 2:54 PM

Mar 2015
Wow Hilmes' past was a good flashback to watch. Plus at least Arslan isn't alone anymore
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 5, 2016 2:14 PM
Sep 2009
Hilmes really needed this flashback. Look like second betrayal was final nail to his coffin of rage.
Sep 11, 2016 7:12 AM

Jul 2013
Now I found out there's a kind blind woman that would be sad if Hilmes dies.. I hate him just a bit less. Also Toph and Zuko anyone?

So this season is Arslan and his clique traveling the seas looking for 50,000 men. 5 episodes left will he be able to do it? Damn I just wish there will be a 3rd season where he comes back and take back his kingdom.
Sep 15, 2016 6:24 AM

Mar 2015
Predictable episode. Hermes' story could have been a full episode. Should have been. Arslan's crew follows him with the quickness out of some random plan and short battle with Two-Blades and some dialogue. Saw that coming, but this episode seemed rush. Decent, but rushed.
Oct 4, 2016 7:04 PM

Nov 2014
I cried a lot in this episode. Silver mask would've been a good person if he wasn't betrayed this badly.
I always hoped at some point he and Arslan will join forces against this hideous Androgas.

Also, Arslan's loneliness when he was exiled by his so called father, and the loyalty of his comrades made me so happy :')
Oct 8, 2016 11:04 PM

Feb 2012
This episode has made Hermes into a much better character than I thought possible at this point, and the story is much better for it. He is now clearly a tragic character who has two options left; to be consumed by evil and be destroyed or to find redemption in Irina and be saved.
Oct 28, 2016 10:38 PM

Mar 2012
Didn't really care about Herme's backstory since he's still a dick. Glad to see that even though Arslan was send away the main group was able to join up with him.
Nov 2, 2016 9:52 AM

Nov 2011
Really interesting the first part of the story, because finally know better the figure of Hirmes and something connected to he. However, his past sins of the fact that he had little originality, you could invent a gimmick less obvious. The narrative becomes too linear in the second half, although returns to illustrate the events seen previously; satisfied and also a little disappointed. Oh well, it seems that we'll make in the next episode. always fascinating scenarios, pleasant to listen to the soundtrack.
Dec 25, 2016 10:10 AM

Dec 2015
I guess even though he looks like he is simply evil, Hermes also has a kind side.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 12, 2017 9:08 PM

Dec 2012
Hermes getting that blind pussy....cat.

We see how Hermes got his mask.

Hermes: My name is Hermes. My fathers name was Osroes. I am the night. I am...Batman!

Arslan and co. are on summer break. Party time.

lol at the preview.

DAT FARANGIS END CARD!
RobFeb 12, 2017 9:46 PM
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jul 5, 2017 4:24 PM

Aug 2013
Nice Hermes' flashback. He really does have a nice side.

Andragoras III is an ass. I want to know more about Tahamenay's relationship with Arslan. Their both heartless to Arslan.

THAT END CARD!!!!! <333

Jul 19, 2017 5:06 PM
Mar 2016
i didnt really care about silver mask's flashback because i was too focused on what the king was planning on doing with arslan. i really thought arslan was gonna lose his top and start yelling at him. i fucking hate that king, but at least the gang is together
Sep 3, 2017 4:46 PM

Apr 2014
yeaaah Silver maskbro story parts way more interesting than Arslans

Oct 15, 2017 9:50 AM

Sep 2012
Leo_10 said:
Nice Hermes' flashback. He really does have a nice side.

Andragoras III is an ass. I want to know more about Tahamenay's relationship with Arslan. Their both heartless to Arslan.

THAT END CARD!!!!! <333

for one thing Arslan isn't hes son cause he never had kids, Andragoras III took hes mother as hes wife, but she never let him lay a finger on her so he made her son Prince, or maybe she is no longer able to bear children, but i know this hes mother hates Andragoras III for forcing her in to marriage she was a peasant before, some of it mite be false & half truth, but that's how much i have found out

Rob said:
Hermes getting that blind pussy....cat.

We see how Hermes got his mask.

Hermes: My name is Hermes. My fathers name was Osroes. I am the night. I am...Batman!

Arslan and co. are on summer break. Party time.

lol at the preview.

DAT FARANGIS END CARD!

i think he & Arslan may actually end up becoming alleys if something more happens that makes him hate Andragoras III

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NexuNov 2, 2017 2:59 PM
Jan 8, 2018 11:50 AM

May 2015
First half was ok, second was meh.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 2, 2020 7:50 AM

Mar 2017
Hermes' background story was pretty generic. Also am I the only one who thought the exile was less of an "exile" but more of "it's time for you to raise an army by yourself," since it's been implied already that Andragoras is merely following the prophesy?
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Jul 4, 2022 12:56 AM
Jul 2021
I swear if I hear Daryun yell one more time DENKA! I'll murder someone! 45% of Daryun's dialogue is either saying or yelling Denka.
On another note, when are we going to see Arslan grow? Or the last five episodes are going to be the same up to now? The gang pampering Arslan from dawn to dusk, babysitting him every step of the way.
IMO the show should had let Arslan go into "exile" for one or two episodes, let the boy grow some wings, learn a few lesson and make some mistakes on his own. But no the "gang" all rush to go with him by the end of the episode, such a missed opportunity to make the character of Arslan and the anime much better.
DawizzJul 7, 2022 10:08 PM
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣
May 30, 2023 5:45 PM

Dec 2020
Lil back story for silver mask which was ok. Added in a lil more depth little more back story.

Inner circle stays with Arslan as expected but it seemed like the rest who didn't get close enough didn't even though they were all getting won over by him
Nov 27, 2023 1:15 PM
Aug 2022
I support Hilmes against that pussy, but he's cringe af man.
Glad that old man returned.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2016

122 by Angelo-cunha »»
May 6, 6:05 AM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2016

68 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 27, 2023 2:59 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2016

68 by Muow »»
Jun 1, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2016

135 by Muow »»
May 30, 2023 1:01 PM

Poll: » Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2016

132 by Muow »»
May 30, 2023 12:31 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.