Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 28, 2023 9:33 AM

May 2020
I like how Maomao’s attitude never changes despite getting treated harshly by strangers of this palace. Though that in itself is a great thing, but for now since the emperor stated he wanted to meet Maomao last time around, it was for, so he could send Maomao to look after Rifa, who was looking anything but well.

But we know, those serving girls, and the way they’re programmed. Poor Maomao, she was supposed to look after the foods that are being served, but they weren’t even listening to her much less actually doing whatever they’re being instructed to. Though I absolutely liked whatever transpired when Jinshi came to pay a visit. Not only did Maomao inspect Rifa properly, but even pointed out the cause of her sufferings.

It’s the same WHITE POWDER again, and the fool servant who was still using it on Rifa’s face, for the most stupid reasons. That BITCHSLAP was beyond satisfactory, and that menacing act too. Courtesy of Maomao digging the truth in time which made it possible for Rifa to get a tad better.

Also, please don't lose faith in one's assets. People who don't have it better knows its true value:)
Oct 28, 2023 11:15 AM

Dec 2021
Ffs, these attendants are so fucking annoying.

Mamao had solved the mystery of the consecutive deaths of the Emperor's sons, but Princess Gyokuyou's condition remained critical. One day, Mamao was ordered by the Emperor to treat the princess. However, when Mamao tried to feed the meal prepared for the princess, the maids obstructed, causing the princess to weaken further. At that moment, with the help of Jinshi, Mamao gained an opportunity to approach Princess Rifa. Strangely, the forbidden 'face powder' was being used."

I'm glad Mamao poured the attendant face powder on the attendant. Holy shit that slap was fucking personal. You'll definitely empathize with that attendant. She acted out of loyalty to Lihua, her intentions were kind, but she made a foolish choice by using a banned powder for her consort. I can see Maomao really admiring Rifa's impressive "fruits". Your talent is quite something, young lady... Rifa's contemplation on the profound sorrow of losing her beloved child in such a manner adds a nice layer to the story.

Go get some sleep Maomao. You deserve it.

Oct 28, 2023 11:19 AM
Sep 2020
OML what happened to the character detailing on this episode 😭😭

it looks pretty bad comparing to the first 3 episodes. i hope it gets better and consistent on the next episodes :((
Oct 28, 2023 11:20 AM

Mar 2023
I don't get why she doesn't just explain that she's there on emperor's order and that they (maids) are obstructing imperial business
Maomao's a strict leader once she gets into it
watsymOct 28, 2023 11:43 AM
Oct 28, 2023 11:24 AM
Apr 2016
I like how they adapt this when compared to the manga (I'm not a LN reader)...
More subtle, calming take on the same basic events that happen in both...

PS: Maomao's VA is perfect for her. You can just hear the anger behind the calmness in the powder scene
Oct 28, 2023 11:30 AM

Apr 2010
When Moaoa got angry things turns intense she is a scary girl when she needs to be.
Jishi still trying to tease her is funny he certainly likes toying with her.

And a person was cured which is nice.
Oct 28, 2023 11:42 AM

Oct 2017
Love Maomao's attitude, she's quite frank, straightforward and also fierce when needed. Glad she was able to nurse Lihua back to health and did she just teach her how to give a paizuri lmao?
MegamiRemOct 28, 2023 12:27 PM
Oct 28, 2023 11:44 AM

Feb 2021
Why are there so many bangers this season damn

Is the full version of the OP out already? I'm gonna listen the hell out of it.
Maomao is honestly such a chad for being able to keep cool in situations like these.
Sometimes it feels like an isekai or that she's from modern times though, with her knowledge. But I don't mind it at all.

The punishment is one of the most satisfying moments in anime I've ever watched hoooly
Maomao 🤝 Frieren
Being cold and badass this week

Flagellation (Latin flagellum, 'whip'), flogging or whipping is the act of beating the human body with special implements such as whips, rods, switches, the cat o' nine tails, the sjambok, the knout, etc. (Source: Wikipedia)

LMAO she told her about paizuri
Amazing episode. It's a blessing we'll get 2 cours of this.

EDIT: The full OP is on Spotify! I didn't check, but it should be on other platforms too.
EmbientOct 28, 2023 11:55 AM
Oct 28, 2023 11:45 AM
Sep 2015
As mush as I'm anti-monarchist, I've to admit that the emperor is quite hot. No, he doesn't have a muscular body or crazy hairstyle like a King you would see in fantasy/RPG setting, he's just hot in a reasonably way in an ancient asian setting like this.
Oct 28, 2023 11:47 AM

Mar 2021
I just love how straight to the Point MaoMao is and she let's nothing and no one get in her way especially those ladies in waiting who wouldn't get out of her way when she was sent to help on the Emperors orders. I definitely wouldn't want to do anything to Make MaoMao angry
Oct 28, 2023 11:51 AM
Mar 2019
I love this show. It's both relaxing and interesting at the same time. Can't wait for next week.

“We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams.”
― H.G. Wells, The Time Machine

Oct 28, 2023 11:54 AM
May 2021
Maomao appreciation !! The opening song is fckn sick, need the full song mann 😫😫
Oct 28, 2023 12:01 PM

Feb 2019
Another amazing episode. Can’t praise the job OLM are doing on bringing this LN to life enough. Seen some people complaining about the animation style on this one, I loved it. Very fluid and constant motion. Really felt the emotion in all the scenes as a result.

Yuuki Aoi as usual has been incredible too. The emotion that she brought to the scene of Maomao slapping the attendant and telling her about the poison was so good. Considering how chill Maomao normally is, seeing her get upset like that was definitely cool. That slap was felt thru the screen.

Not only did she get her health back on track, but Maomao was able to give Lihua a few tricks to keep the emperor coming back too lol. Gotta use what you’ve been given. Great episode
Marinate1016Oct 28, 2023 12:10 PM
Oct 28, 2023 12:04 PM

Jul 2019
Reply to lanngabriel

it looks pretty bad comparing to the first 3 episodes. i hope it gets better and consistent on the next episodes :((
@lanngabriel Dont worry, it wont be like this in almost any other episode. This episode just looked like this because a certain animator/director directed this episode, and he and the staff he brought to this episode just have a very particular style. In terms of pure movement, it is by quite the mile the episode that has the best animation, as it literally didnt stop moving. Despite that tho, i can understand not being a fan/being weirded out by the sudden change as the normal show normally goes for a completely different approuch of less movement but more consistent artstyle. And yea, if you look at the next episode preview, the art looks about the same as the first few episodes, so no need to worry about it much.
VP2003boiOct 28, 2023 12:10 PM
Oct 28, 2023 12:14 PM
Oct 2016
Maomao working herself to the bone trying to figure out what's wrong with Lady Lihua. The emperor himself seeing how knowledgeable Maomao is with her apothecary skills and sending her to help Lihua since she's still not feeling well after the makeup poisoning. Lihua ladies in waiting were certainly not making it any easier on Maomao. The girl just wanted to help the dying Lihua but couldn't do anything until she made a show of force. One of the ladies in waiting hiding some of the face makeup that poisoned the babies in precious episodes. Causing now Lihua to feel those same effects again but more prolonged. Maomao going cold and showing the lady in waiting what she was doing wrong was the best scene in the episode. Maomao can be pretty ruthless when she wants to be, when people are not listening to her sound advice. Jinshi coming in clutch making the ladies in waiting let Maomao take the lead in helping Lihua. She could've died it Jinshi didn't make them listen to whay Maomao was saying. I'm glad that over time Lihua could recover as Maomao was able to nurse her back to health. Lihua felt so miserable but Maomao could tell she still wanted to live. Making many accommodations so Lihua could recover like that steam bath and a special diet. The emperor eventually coming back to Lihua in the night once she was back to health. Maomao has solved another case of mistreatment in the palace.
Oct 28, 2023 12:19 PM
Jul 2021
The slap omg that servant deserved it. LOL did Maomao just tell Lihua how to utilize her BIG asset - a b00bj0b will surely keep the emperor close to her lmao
Oct 28, 2023 12:25 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to MegamiRem
Love Maomao's attitude, she's quite frank, straightforward and also fierce when needed. Glad she was able to nurse Lihua back to health and did she just teach her how to give a paizuri lmao?
@MegamiRem titjob, why do you think she put so much empasis on Lihua having better chest than her or even Gyokuyo.
Oct 28, 2023 12:26 PM

Jan 2023
I love Mao’s casual and blunt attitude but she can also get serious when the time calls for it, Yuuki Aoi has done a great job portraying Mao and her chill or scary side.

Jinshi is also hilarious, trying to seduce Mao every now and then but receiving a rather digusted response from her haha. He’s funny. Mao’s slowly making a name for herself due to her background as an Apothecary as we can see with the emperor making a direct request to her, and my goodness Lihua’s attendants are PAIN STAKINGLY ANNOYING. Making Mao’s job a bit harder while directing causing Lihua’s condition to decline, listen I’m sure makeup and yummy food is nice and all but there is a reason why Mao was called in along with staples in food when it comes to being sick.

The subtle transition in the mood with the soundtrack when Mao confronts the lady in charge of Lihua’s makeup, it felt tense with a sense of wow to it. That slap was rightfully deserving, not to mention that sounded PAINFUL. Mao did the right thing by being visibly upset and straightforward since it was the lady’s fault for using the poisonous powder on the concubine when she was already weakened physically and emotionally. Thanks to Mao, her condition steadily improved after two months with giving a little technique for the emperor ahaha.. I don’t know what that was.

Great episode, fun yet very interesting. Also I guess it wasn’t me who thought the detailing looked a little odd, it seemed inconsistent at times but it’s pretty minor so not a big problem.
BitChillyOct 28, 2023 12:34 PM
Oct 28, 2023 12:26 PM

Oct 2017
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@MegamiRem titjob, why do you think she put so much empasis on Lihua having better chest than her or even Gyokuyo.
@Nachtwandler_21 yeah I actually meant to say that but mixed it up when I wrote it lol.
Oct 28, 2023 12:30 PM
Aug 2020
this was another great episode
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 28, 2023 12:36 PM
Feb 2022
This was the episode I was waiting for, that slap has been one of my favorite moments in the story so far. Aoi Yuuki is absolutely nailing it so far as Maomao
Oct 28, 2023 12:42 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Maomao bringing down the hammer! Now we know how truly scary she can be.
I really liked the art style this episode. Actually, the animation in it was top notch. So many moving parts. Of course, the previous style was good too.
Also, did Maomao whisper what I think she whispered? Writer of this episode must have been feeling a certain kind of way, lol.
Oct 28, 2023 12:42 PM
Jun 2012
Reply to lanngabriel

@lanngabriel what are you even talking about? This is arguably he single best looking episode of anime that came out this year.
Oct 28, 2023 1:06 PM

Mar 2020
Maomao impressing us all with her medical expertise and observation skills, with a slap to top it off...

I am really liking Maomao's character more with each passing episode. Her demeanour, despite all the harsh treatment by the higher class servants, stays as enjoyable to watch as always. This episode goes to show how much the people of the inner palace value beauty, to the point they value it over someone's health. I'm glad that Maomao smacked some sense into them, literally. It certainly wasn't an easy job for her to handle, but since the emperor was the one that ordered her to treat Lady Lihua, there could not be any failure here. Maomao was very proactive in not only finding out the truth, but also serving her food that would make her feel better. Well done, Maomao.

Despite some poor character detailing here and there likely due to budget constraints, the animation was still fluid, and there is just so much to love about this series so far, due to the cast being so endearing, and the comedy being so well timed and funny. Looking forward to more!
Oct 28, 2023 1:10 PM
Jul 2019
Maomao is quite strict if you get on her wrong side.
Oct 28, 2023 1:35 PM
Oct 2017
The attention to detail in this is insane! You could see the bags under Maomao's eyes even before they pointed out through dialogue how hard she was working! "Show, don't tell" at its finest!
Oct 28, 2023 1:40 PM
Oct 2015
Mcsuper said:
Maomao impressing us all with her medical expertise and observation skills, with a slap to top it off...

I am really liking Maomao's character more with each passing episode. Her demeanour, despite all the harsh treatment by the higher class servants, stays as enjoyable to watch as always. This episode goes to show how much the people of the inner palace value beauty, to the point they value it over someone's health. I'm glad that Maomao smacked some sense into them, literally. It certainly wasn't an easy job for her to handle, but since the emperor was the one that ordered her to treat Lady Lihua, there could not be any failure here. Maomao was very proactive in not only finding out the truth, but also serving her food that would make her feel better. Well done, Maomao.

Despite some poor character detailing here and there likely due to budget constraints, the animation was still fluid, and there is just so much to love about this series so far, due to the cast being so endearing, and the comedy being so well timed and funny. Looking forward to more!

no lol, there's nothing wrong with the budget, it's just the drawing style of the animation director for this episode(Moaang)
Oct 28, 2023 1:54 PM

Jul 2011
If is to say something bad about the episode, is if Jinshi initial presence was necessary to kick up the recovery? Like, Maomao could just pull rank by say she is there because emperor's order, and she is strong enough to bi**h slap everyone in that room.

With the assets brought up, most ladies of this series have respectable assets, from I have seen.
Oct 28, 2023 2:15 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to BlichoBoy
If is to say something bad about the episode, is if Jinshi initial presence was necessary to kick up the recovery? Like, Maomao could just pull rank by say she is there because emperor's order, and she is strong enough to bi**h slap everyone in that room.

With the assets brought up, most ladies of this series have respectable assets, from I have seen.
@BlichoBoy current Emperor just likes his consorts busty. There is an explanation why but these are minor spoilers. The only ones without decent assets are a few forced into harem by influental families like Lishu who we'll see next episode. And courtesans are busty because most of average clients are not DFC fans, same like with RL brothels
Oct 28, 2023 2:19 PM
Sep 2019
this episode is really cool, how maomao acts when treated unfairly but when it is for someone else sake she cant hold it in.
but for me the animation was downright bad, in the manga had a lot more, like really, more impact.
Oct 28, 2023 2:29 PM

Nov 2013
Another amazing episode. Slap was well deserved. Lucky she didn't get beheaded for attempted murder.
Oct 28, 2023 2:45 PM

Aug 2023
Reply to Murilowsky
this episode is really cool, how maomao acts when treated unfairly but when it is for someone else sake she cant hold it in.
but for me the animation was downright bad, in the manga had a lot more, like really, more impact.
@Murilowsky it's different art style. Every Animator has his own art style which he prefers. This kind of art style is simple and its easy to animate. That's why it looked different because in this episode staff was not the same as 3 episode.
Oct 28, 2023 2:56 PM

Jan 2009
Reply to SenpaiMY92
I like how they adapt this when compared to the manga (I'm not a LN reader)...
More subtle, calming take on the same basic events that happen in both...

PS: Maomao's VA is perfect for her. You can just hear the anger behind the calmness in the powder scene
@SenpaiMY92: I have to respectfully disagree. Saying this as a huge fan of both LN and manga, I was quite unhappy with the direction of this episode (and the animation wasn't helping things either).

The main problem is that they decided to go for a full episode for the "nursing Linhua" plot, so they had to pad things out - and this is where they screwed up. It took 5 full minutes of "Maomao getting pushed out without resisting" before she succeeded after Jinshi intervened. Having Maomao even resign herself to probably failing and being killed without doing anything goes _100%_ against her character and was a huge mistake in direction. It does not happen like this in either LN or manga, what the hell was the director thinking?!

Also, Maomao may be stoic every once in a while, but except for her outburst, she was depicted not only as uncaring-bored, she was literally apathetic. Which is also against her characterization, and it is quite unpleasant to watch on top of it.

I know that they had a special animation team for this episode, but I wonder if they also switched the director/scriptwriter. if so, please don't repeat this experiment.
Oct 28, 2023 3:11 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode!

Grown-up Maomao? A cutie!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Oct 28, 2023 3:17 PM

Aug 2022
IMO The best episode so far!

I get an old Korean series vibe from this anime, anyone else thinks like this?

+ Does anyone know an Anime with art like this?

++ What was Maomao's advise to Lihua? boobs job? lol
Oct 28, 2023 3:35 PM

Nov 2010
I didn't notice any difference in the animation like everyone is talking about 😲😲

I don't remember how it happened on the manga, since I started reading it 4~5 years ago. But I really liked Maomao slapping the makeup maid, Maomao is my favourite anime girl ♥ I am hyped for more episodes!!
Oct 28, 2023 3:36 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Great episode, Maomao continues to prove why she's top-tier material waifu.
Oct 28, 2023 3:57 PM
Sep 2020
1WanteD1 said:

more like a Chinese historical vibe since its based on ancient China
Oct 28, 2023 3:58 PM
Apr 2018
Brilliant episode!
Oct 28, 2023 4:13 PM
Nov 2021
MegamiRem said:

😂😂😂 Hahahahahahahaha
Oct 28, 2023 4:25 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Lechiang
1WanteD1 said:

more like a Chinese historical vibe since its based on ancient China
I don't know what surprises me more. The fact that the concubine with large breasts did not know about such “basic” sexual techniques (not to mention China with their Kama Sutra), or that in a medieval country where you could find yourself on the chopping block for the slightest offense, someone was so frivolous in the desire to serve her mistress.

@Lechiang I don't think they are very different, since without getting into the nuances, East Asian palace culture is quite similar. Not to mention, both countries love to create dramas about it.

Oct 28, 2023 4:30 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@BlichoBoy current Emperor just likes his consorts busty. There is an explanation why but these are minor spoilers. The only ones without decent assets are a few forced into harem by influental families like Lishu who we'll see next episode. And courtesans are busty because most of average clients are not DFC fans, same like with RL brothels
@Nachtwandler_21 Well, if we are talking about the imperial harem and the capital's brothel, then I think that there is a woman “for every taste,” if you know what I mean. Considering the historical period and region, I shudder to imagine how low the percentage of girls who participate in all this voluntarily is.
Oct 28, 2023 4:39 PM

Mar 2007
Even though she's TRYING to save concubine Lihua's life, the ladies in waiting are cock blocking her at every turn.

When she finally finds out, Maomao hath no fury, that was such a satisfying slap. Eventually Lihua does get better.

So ... manga readers, can someone let me know what the ... uh ... brother "boob" technique is supposed to be? Asking for a friend, yes ...
Oct 28, 2023 4:47 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
1WanteD1 said:
Stormy_77 said:
So ... manga readers, can someone let me know what the ... uh ... brother "boob" technique is supposed to be? Asking for a friend, yes ...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=paizuri
Oct 28, 2023 4:53 PM
Nov 2022
Looking forward to watching the rest...
Oct 28, 2023 4:53 PM
Dec 2022
it was very great,one of my favourite this season
Oct 28, 2023 4:57 PM

Jul 2011
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@Nachtwandler_21 You get me wrong if you think I was complaining, I'm just saying that they nice boobs in a gentle way. I didn't mean to offend you.
Oct 28, 2023 4:57 PM

Apr 2022
another great episode and that slap was satisfying, although the speed of the hit felt like they removed a frame lol. they fucking nailed pissed maomao, big ups to her VA. lihua's recovery has gone well and i'm still loving the osts in this show. boob technique ftw as well. i've already said before that i prefer the art in the manga over how it looks in the anime, but mfs here complaining about animation while being unable to differentiate artstyle from animation is a joke in itself.
Oct 28, 2023 5:15 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to BlichoBoy
@Nachtwandler_21 You get me wrong if you think I was complaining, I'm just saying that they nice boobs in a gentle way. I didn't mean to offend you.
@BlichoBoy you get me wrong if you think I got offended or something. I just said that it actually has plot explanation for once.
Oct 28, 2023 5:30 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Maomao continues to be best girl as she slapped some sense into the servant girl who was tending to Lady Lihua without realizing that it was the face powder that was making her sick. The rest of the female servants started to listen to Maomao and helped her in assisting in nursing Lihua back to perfect health. I wonder if Lihua would make use of Maomao's advice in order to gain some attention from the emperor with the possibility of having another child.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does this ever get good? ( 1 2 )

El_Jiro - Jun 13

62 by _Yotsugi_ »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

90 by grandy_UiD »»
Jun 13, 12:10 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

11 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.