Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 21, 2023 10:05 AM

Jul 2017
The case of soldiers dying from poison, Jinshi has to contend with this news, as well as his favourite Concubine Gyokuyou, of which Maomao is recently added to the ranks, counting her total followers of 4 women, considerably less than Lihua's 10. Certainly, Maomao feels cringey on Jinshi's praises, and proceeds to the Jade Pavillion where Gyokuyou sits at taking care of her newborn Xiaoling. Other than Maomao, Yinghua, Guiyan and Ailan are the other servant girls for Gyokuyou, though Maomao is a rather special girl taking care of the apothecary stuff, like tasting for poison in food before it goes to the concubine since it happened before. And since Maomao has been experimenting a lot of drugs, poison has no effect on her, though this is a test from Jinshi to see her capability. Of course, the head servant takes her chances with Maomao, though she wants to do more.

A gift to Jinshi of pork buns laden with aphrodisiac, she thought that Jinshi is testing her to win her graces. The case isbrought forward to Maomao, though everything to her, like eating the rhododendron flower can be poisonous. An opportunity for Maomao to make drugs for recovery, and surely, he likes her personality towards him, what a feeling. With that, Jinshi's assistant Gaoshun and the physician leads Maomao to the apothecary, which this is a haven place for her. Making the aphrodisiac with chocolate as its base, Maomao made a portion for herself added with alcohol as a midnight snack, which left the servant girls all drunk. Of course, some of which were given to Jinshi, though the implications of that can be rather...let's just say, erotic.

The cunning Jinshi, and a ghost in the dark?
KANLen09Nov 14, 2023 1:43 AM
Oct 21, 2023 10:06 AM

Dec 2021
Without delay, Mao Mao dives right into her first case!

A band of warriors had been sent out. The trouble started on the way home. The food in the encampment was compromised, and almost a dozen men came down with food poisoning.. On Mao Mao's first day at the Jade Palace, she commenced her duties under Lady Gyokuyou. Curiosity piqued her about the nature of her tasks, but it swiftly became apparent that she was destined to serve as Lady Gyokuyou's food taster. This position was one that few coveted, for it carried the peril of ingesting potentially deadly substances. Yet, for Mao Mao, it proved to be a thrilling and enjoyable role. Given her expertise as a herbalist and her fascination with toxins, it was a fitting assignment for her.

Up until now, every character is quite endearing. The protagonist, in particular, has captured my heart with her fervent dedication to herbs and medicine, a quality that is both awe-inspiring and charming. The male character who appears to be a potential romantic interest also holds my intrigue. Aww, her adorable, gleeful expression upon seeing the medicine! I'm absolutely smitten with this anime, it's just my cup of tea, especially the heroine. Jinshi is a character with intriguing depth; I suspect there's more to him than meets the eye.

Jinshi, intelligent with undisclosed goals, exhibits a clear streak of cunningness. I'm eager to find out what unfolds next.

Oct 21, 2023 12:07 PM

Oct 2019
Yes, she definitely is a Mad scientist. It's so cool. Sunavabeetch.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Oct 21, 2023 12:28 PM

Apr 2010
Don't remember chocolatte ever having that effect on me tho i certainly have seen people do strange things when they were drinking alcoholic beverages.
The episode was good tho and the parts where the servants where intoxicated was funny.
Oct 21, 2023 12:46 PM
Sep 2015
I kinda hope that the poisonous situation outside the palace will give an excuse for our hero to go outside the palace. I want to see the world this anime set in, not just the palace. Also, the soldier is my kind of guy, I don't like the bishounen style.
Oct 21, 2023 12:54 PM

Oct 2017
Contrary to the first episode's serious tone this was a rather fun and amusing episode. Maomao's reactions were hella amusing. Specially when Jinshi gave her a look lol. Good thing she solved another case and saved those villagers. Props to the guy who stopped the execution too. Also those chocos were basically whiskey bon bons.
Oct 21, 2023 12:58 PM
Aug 2020
the adaptation is really good, the voices are great, i love the manga and now also the anime...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 21, 2023 1:00 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to phantomfandom
I kinda hope that the poisonous situation outside the palace will give an excuse for our hero to go outside the palace. I want to see the world this anime set in, not just the palace. Also, the soldier is my kind of guy, I don't like the bishounen style.
@phantomfandom don't worry, she will go out in a couple of episodes. Also, later parts of the story will not be contained in the palace harem.
Nachtwandler_21Oct 21, 2023 1:20 PM
Oct 21, 2023 1:13 PM

Jul 2012
Maomao and Jinshi interactions are the best lol.

It's cute seeing Maomao put her apothecary knowledge to use and getting excited over anything medicinal. Btw, the rhododendron is a poisonous flower. Like Maomao said, its leaves have toxins. It has symbolism in caution and danger. May be a reason why Maomao used that flower in the last episode to warn Lihua and Gyokuyou because of its special meaning.
Oct 21, 2023 3:07 PM

Jul 2017
She's just in her own world amidst the palace situation, not caring too desperately to get back. She might not have loved the promotion but getting to work with more herbs, do poison testing and experiment and prepare different items, like the chocolate this time with aphrodisiac components definitely help her accept her position. She was literally dancing around at various points here too so even without being drugged, she lost control of herself. Not too crazy about the pacing again and the chibi stuff but it is what it is, Jinshi is pretty dull too. Decent little episode overall but not one that stands out a crazy amount, pretty simplistic for the most part.
animejasOct 22, 2023 1:29 PM
Oct 21, 2023 4:33 PM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
MaoMao's overly cuteness as her instant change to cat every time being eager is too much for me to handle ngl. And the blend of comedy, ecchi to the story is pretty subtle and tactful. Love the part when Jin Shi blocked the entrance because he's scared of being visited and consort Gyokuyo said the emperor will last three times as long.
Oct 21, 2023 4:59 PM

Apr 2023
Episode was good, Maomao the mad scientist LOL

One thing though, chocolate was invented by Mesoamerican civilizations. But the creator isn’t going for accuracy so at the end of the day it doesn’t matter.

I wanna see what happens next
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Oct 21, 2023 6:15 PM

Apr 2015
The episode was so funny, also love the characters interactions here.

A big note they really put a lot of effort on animation and OST.
Oct 21, 2023 6:18 PM
Oct 2020
I am quite convinced based off of the 44 minutes I have seen so far that this show is the greatest accomplishment in human history
this opinion has been certified based and correct
Oct 21, 2023 6:19 PM

Apr 2022
maomao getting that mad scientist look from everyone, gotta love her lil dance. jinshi's charms do not work on her at all lol. i also like yinghua from the other three ladies-in waiting.
Oct 21, 2023 9:08 PM

Oct 2013
Does anyone know or have a theory about what he needed the chocolates for.
I know that it might just be a later plot point but if it was something else about this episode In particular then I don't want to have missed anything.

Also those three maid looking gooooooood!
Got me Mr. McMahoning up in here!

Oct 21, 2023 9:59 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Man i wish they are not forgetting those little friend Maomao have under the laundry division, after her promotion toward Gyokuyou wing. Unexpectedly all the servants quite welcome Maomao with all of their misunderstanding toward her.

Did Jinshi just said Maomao as his right pawn and try to seduce her just to get what he wanted? No wonder Maomao hate his guts deeps down. No shit with his beauty goddammit, he deserved the humiliation look. Even though he also seems to enjoy that....

The case with the soldiers solved pretty quick. But i get that Maomao was so knowledgeable, she didn't even need to go outside to understand more of the situation first because of symptoms already cleared enough.

The whole aphrodisiac part is just purely enjoyable. Concubine said it all, Emperor no need the aphrodisiac at all. Maomao in joy mode with the place she owned. Its more then a cursed dance, Jinshi. Its a mad scientist dance, remember...

Wondering what's the deal with those person above the roof tho. Its not like this is turning into a supernatural, right?
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 21, 2023 10:02 PM

Dec 2022
Jinshi's rizz is off the roof. But MaoMao doesn't fall for it lmao. Loving their interactions already.
Oct 21, 2023 10:06 PM
Jul 2014
It does seem a little dumb that the money is sent to her kidnappers. I know that's because they're posing as her family, but surely once she was safely out of their reach in the palace they could have just asked her if that was true or not. The kidnappers wouldn't have been able to retaliate, at least not until her term was up.

I also know that it's because nobody cares about peasants, but at the same time, it seems like it ought to be a bad look for your kingdom to encourage kidnapping right in the capital.
Oct 21, 2023 10:06 PM
Jul 2016
I love how this anime likes to throw in little cheeky dirty jokes lmao. Maomao is living in the Inner Palace after all, and she is no stranger to courtesans and brothels.
Oct 21, 2023 10:08 PM

Jun 2023
Maomao’s reactions are just top tier
Oct 21, 2023 10:58 PM

Oct 2022
The women in this anime are so fine. They're all packing as well. Also I love the cute reactions that Maomao has.

Oct 22, 2023 12:13 AM

Oct 2022
Using yourself as a lab rat is crazy, at least now it’s coming in handy with her new job

Oct 22, 2023 12:38 AM
Aug 2022
OPENING & ED SONGS ARE AMAZING ✨🙌🏻🔥.
Oct 22, 2023 12:49 AM

Nov 2022
Loving this already, if I had to say one thing about this anime that I can find wrong it's just that they seem to use sound effects a little too much for comedy but that's probs just a me thing, a great show so far.
Oct 22, 2023 1:45 AM

Oct 2020
Mister Jinshi very weird guy.
Oct 22, 2023 1:55 AM

May 2015
So the aphrodisiac was chocolate. I looked it up and chocolate does indeed have a mild sexual stimulant effect because it contains the chemicals phenylethylamine and serotonin, which are thought to be mood boosters. The importance of using silver plates comes from silver reacting to and turning black in the presense of sulphur based chemicals like arsenic sulphid.
Oct 22, 2023 2:12 AM

Dec 2022
Jinshi thought he was sooo smooth lol. Love how grossed out Maomao was.

Maomao definitely gives off “mad scientist” vibes. The little goof experiments on her own arm! Kind of wild she’s immune to most poisons. I guess being a food tester ain’t too bad.
Oct 22, 2023 2:18 AM

Oct 2022
Jinshi has taken quite a liking to Maomao. Good luck seducing her. Prolly not gonna happen. That shiver lol. I love Maomao's friend, she's cute and supportive.
Oct 22, 2023 3:00 AM

Jun 2008
Jinshi is really trying to shoot his shot with Maomao but she's having none of it XD Her grossed out face is so funny.

Loving the show so far.
Oct 22, 2023 3:33 AM

Dec 2022
I like the head lady-in-waiting. She basically reduced Maomao's pay in a somewhat "legal" way so that her kidnappers dont get anything, after understanding the reason Maomao chose to lay low. Since all expenses are DOCUMENTED, that is such a big brain move.

Oct 22, 2023 3:44 AM
Apr 2020
She, without a doubt, loves her poisons.
Oct 22, 2023 4:36 AM

Mar 2011
This episode felt like 5 minutes long and I laughed so many times :D. Maomao is awesome and cute when she's happy about herbs and being able to make medicine.

Also does anybody know where to get/buy the opening song? I want to listen to the full song on repeat <3
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Oct 22, 2023 4:57 AM

Nov 2022
So cute seeing how excited Maomao got seeing all those ingredients. She’s finally in her element! Those chocolates she made worked wonders.
Oct 22, 2023 5:04 AM
May 2023
Cudowna seria, jestem nią zachwycona.
Oct 22, 2023 5:16 AM

Mar 2023
"I've never been so harshly looked down on in my life" with a smile on his face ~ Jinshi
yeah, we know what he's into now
Oct 22, 2023 5:54 AM

Mar 2020
The comedy really makes me laugh hard. Maomao best girl this season? Frieren or Maomao? hahaha love this show and characters.
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Oct 22, 2023 7:19 AM

Dec 2022
I live for the banter between Maomao and Jinshi. Their VA's and direction are nailing it.
Oct 22, 2023 8:33 AM

Feb 2023
Homegirl needs a venomous snake STAT!!!
Oct 22, 2023 9:45 AM

Aug 2021
solid second episode too. i'm starting to see a general idea of where they're going with this now
Oct 22, 2023 10:12 AM
Aug 2019
A little history lesson on why "chocolate" is the aphrodisiac

Its cause people did believe that in the past, due to several reasons and persisted for quite a while
Oct 22, 2023 3:24 PM

Mar 2007
I loved this episode.
  • Maomao has been found out and is "promoted"
  • The other ladies in waiting won't let her do any chores, after seeing her poor arm and assuming she was beaten by her father before being sold!
  • The head lady ... findsd out Maomao was kidnapped, and would rather get less money by claiming to be illiterate, than enrich her captors
  • She accidentally "drops" a VERY Expensive vase, oh noes! 😱😈
  • Now wages will have to be garnished to pay for the vase, oh noes! 😱😈
  • That lady is top ranked people manager right there!
  • We all knew chocolates do make people feel good. Why do you think they're given as Valentine day gifts?
  • The chocolate aphrodisiac that Maomao makes .... is sure to be effective, considering the effects of the leftovers on the other 3 maids
  • Although Maomao did lift a skirt to check that nothing really happened, yet heh

Another great episode from what is sure to be a fan favorite anime.
Oct 22, 2023 5:45 PM
Aug 2022
I had 0 expectations going into this and honestly completely forgot about this show until I saw it started airing but I’m loving it.

The vibe this show has is great. Mao is a great mc and she’s a lot of fun to watch interact with the others.

This anime is also very pretty
Oct 22, 2023 5:49 PM
Oct 2019
SHE IS A MAD SCIENTIST!!

I absolutely love the art style changes for the comedy effect.

Maomao and Jinshi interaction was hilarious.

Oct 22, 2023 7:22 PM
Apr 2022
Mao mao is so funny and cute
im in love
Oct 22, 2023 11:42 PM

Mar 2008
Maomao's reactions are fun to watch.

Not sure if Jinshi wants the aphrodisiac for himself or to use on someone else.

Fukoku said:
One thing though, chocolate was invented by Mesoamerican civilizations. But the creator isn’t going for accuracy so at the end of the day it doesn’t matter.

Chocolate had been in China since the Qing Dynasty.
https://www.choconext.com/en/pages/china-chocolate-history
Actually while it clearly is based on ancient China I have seen no indication stating it is China as the setting so yeah...

Ishitateso said:
So the aphrodisiac was chocolate. I looked it up and chocolate does indeed have a mild sexual stimulant effect because it contains the chemicals phenylethylamine and serotonin, which are thought to be mood boosters. The importance of using silver plates comes from silver reacting to and turning black in the presense of sulphur based chemicals like arsenic sulphid.

Phenylethylamine just is a precursor a few steps away from dopamine. A quicker pathway would be from L-dopa which could be acquired from mucona pruriens though i only am finding info on it being used in Ayuravedic medicine rather than traditional Chinese medicine so I guess that wasnt an option unless im mistaken. One component of cacao you left out is theobromine which dilates arteries increasing blood flow.
Oct 22, 2023 11:45 PM

Apr 2023
traed said:

Fukoku said:

Actually while it clearly is based on ancient China I have seen no indication stating it is China as the setting so yeah...

Ishitateso said:

Phenylethylamine just is a precursor a few steps away from dopamine. A quicker pathway would be from L-dopa which could be acquired from mucona pruriens though i only am finding info on it being used in Ayuravedic medicine rather than traditional Chinese medicine so I guess that wasnt an option unless im mistaken. One component of cacao you left out is theobromine which dilates arteries increasing blood flow.

I doubt it’s the Qing dynasty (or inspired) bc the queue hairstyle was a mandated one for all men and we don’t see any whatsoever
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Oct 23, 2023 12:06 AM

Mar 2008
Reply to Fukoku
traed said:

Fukoku said:

Ishitateso said:

I doubt it’s the Qing dynasty (or inspired) bc the queue hairstyle was a mandated one for all men and we don’t see any whatsoever
@Fukoku
Perhaps but it's a fictional setting is what I was implying. It probably is taking things from a few different time periods.
Oct 23, 2023 12:09 AM

Apr 2023
traed said:
@Fukoku
Perhaps but it's a fictional setting is what I was implying. It probably is taking things from a few different time periods.

Yeah, it is a fictional nation inspired by China. If the chocolate part is inspired by the Qing Dynasty in that case it’s accurate. And since this is a fantasy China, I’m not expecting total accuracy.
Oct 23, 2023 4:58 AM
Feb 2020
THIS IS SO FUNNY ??? i love the characters..the pacing is so good
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.