Forum Settings
Forums

MAPPA Produces Final 'Shingeki no Kyojin' Anime Season, Compilation Film Announced

New
May 29, 2020 3:02 AM
Jul 2018

The official website of the Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) anime series revealed the first key visual (pictured left) and promotional video for the final season on Friday. The final season, produced by animation studio MAPPA, will premiere on NHK General at an unannounced date.

Staff
Chief Director: Jun Shishido (Hajime no Ippo: Rising)
Director: Yuuichirou Hayashi (Kakegurui)
Promo Director, Storyboard: Shuuhei Yabuta (Vinland Saga)
Series Composition: Hiroshi Seko (Mob Psycho 100)
Character Design: Tomohiro Kishi (Dorohedoro)
Chief Animation Director: Daisuke Niinuma (Zankyou no Terror key animation)
Special Effects Animation Director: Satoshi Sakai (Fate/stay night Movie: Unlimited Blade Works key animation), Taichi Furumata (Dororo key animation)
Color Design: Ayako Suenaga (Listeners)
Art Director: Kazuo Ogura (One Piece Film: Gold)
Layout: Yuusuke Tannowa (Zankyou no Terror)
CG Director: Takahiro Uezuno (Death Billiards)
Director of Photography: Shigeki Asakawa (Servamp)
Editing: Masato Yoshitake (Koi to Uso)
Sound Director: Masafumi Mima (Boku no Hero Academia)
Music: Hiroyuki Sawano (Kill la Kill), Kohta Yamamoto (Dive!!)
Sound Effects: Naoto Yamatani (Himouto! Umaru-chan)
Sound Producer: Techno Sound

The website also announced a compilation film that will recap the first three seasons. Titled Shingeki no Kyojin: Chronicle, the film will be screened prior to the final season's broadcast in Japanese theaters for a limited time beginning on July 17. The movie ticket release is inclusive with a limited edition special clear file. A key visual (pictured right) and preview for the film were also posted.

Shingeki no Kyojin adapts Hajime Isayama's fantasy post-apocalyptic manga, which began in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine in September 2009. Kodansha published the 31st volume on April 9. The manga has a cumulative 100 million copies of its compiled volumes in circulation worldwide.

Wit Studio produced the first anime season in Spring 2013. Pre-production of the second season began in 2014, which premiered in Spring 2017. The third season aired in split cours in Summer 2018 and Spring 2019.

Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English in October 2011 and released the 30th volume on April 14. The manga has also been published in multiple foreign languages, including French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and Chinese.

Funimation licensed the anime series in North America and distributed the first season on two home video installments in June and September 2014, while the second season was released on a single volume in February 2018. It was followed by the release of the third season that shipped for two volumes on August 6 last year and March 17.

Shingeki no Kyojin won the 35th Kodansha Manga Awards in the Shounen category and placed sixth in the male readers' division in the 2014 Kono Manga ga Sugoi! rankings. The manga also was nominated for the 4th Manga Taisho awards in 2011, as well as the 16th and 18th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize.

PV 1

Film PV

Official site: https://shingeki.tv/final/
Film official site: https://shingeki.tv/movie_chronicle/
Official Twitter: @anime_shingeki

Source: Mantan Web

Shingeki no Kyojin: Chronicle on MAL
VindstotMay 29, 2020 3:51 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 29, 2020 3:05 AM

Jan 2009
so ye its really implied that its delayed to next year at least
May 29, 2020 3:10 AM

Jun 2016
Can't believe its MAPPA doing the last season, lol.

May 29, 2020 3:11 AM

Mar 2017
I have no idea how they'll squeeze three whole seasons worth of content into a single film.
Watching the PV, I now have high hopes for the next season and the character designs look good. Sasha looked amazing.

'nom'
May 29, 2020 3:12 AM

Jan 2009
>PV Director, Storyboard: Shuuhei Yabuta (Vinland Saga)

this is the biggest surprise here since that means the PV will not look like the final TV series remember this Ironman Madhouse PV? ye the actual TV series does not look anything like that

May 29, 2020 3:13 AM

Jun 2015
titanic poggers in the chat

never been so excited for a trailer where i have no idea what i'm looking at
May 29, 2020 3:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Finally, some news! Obviously I'm bloody stoked but I just can't help but fear a little.

Firstly, the new Character Designs are a miss for me. While the Marley Characters and Eren look great, Levi, Mikasa and Sasha look disastrous in my honest opinion. My Mikasa, damn it! Levi seriously looks like a fatso meanwhile with the chummy cheeks. Also, the lighting seems to be brighter and I'm not totally in for that either.

Secondly, MAPPA have a lot on their hands with God of High School and Jujutsu Kaisen.

Thirdly, I don't happen to be a huge fan of MAPPA and I don't exactly "trust" them to give this final season the justice that it deserves.

But hey, that aside, it was a good PV it must be said. And I'm just more excited for more animated SnK.

Fall 2020 has probably been ditched now but that's totally a-okay with me. Finish off with GoH and JJK by this year and take your sweet time for this baby.

@ImmovableObject Lol, some people are branding MAPPA as the new/next "J.C. Studio" now over on twitter.
_MushiRock11_May 29, 2020 3:22 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 29, 2020 3:19 AM
Mar 2020
Mappa is getting everywhere these days. This is bound to reflect on the quality (Listeners is kinda bad). I am genuinly worried.
May 29, 2020 3:20 AM

Mar 2016
With Wit Studio gone, I was wondering which studio'd pick it up. I would have preferred Production IG, but Mappa is also great. They have really amazing art and animations. Well, they'll probably make the characters a lot cuter than they should be, I guess. lol. Still, I am glad a good studio picked this up.
May 29, 2020 3:24 AM
Aug 2019
I don't know how they'll squeeze all those content into this last season hoped it's not rushed.
It's a shame that wit studio isn't working on the last season, but I hope Mappa produces the final season out well.
I miss the old art style.

May 29, 2020 3:25 AM

Nov 2019
Question for people familiar with MAPPA's work. Is there a chance this will become a Berserk?
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
May 29, 2020 3:26 AM

Jun 2016
There seems to be some returning staff which is nice for consistency's sake and the other guys look competent. Shame araki isn't there but I think some other guy took over as series director after a certain point. From all the mappa shows I've seen they seem to be all over the place both in animation quality and the general quality of the show but I don't like to dismiss new production studios outright. It's still a shame that most of the original guys won't be a part of the series grand finale. Also the mappa stuff I liked the most all start with "doro". Is this a sign that the season's gonna suck? Oh shit I take everything back. Rename the show to dorogeki no dorojin for guaranteed success.
EDIT: they must have updated the article because I see some new guys here. Shishido is the one I'm most familiar with and I enjoyed his work. I also checked the trailer because I'm an idiot and didn't even notice it. Looks nice, the charaters look a bit a different so that will need some getting used to. The cool action scenes they picked looked good.
EDIT 2: While typing edit 1 other guys were added. The sound guy is a trusted reliable name and the music guy seems like a freauent sawano collaborator. I don't know which tracks he contributes though.
EDIT 3: Regarding the director, I'm familiar with two shows where held the director position: kakegurui which was garbage and dorohedoro which was pretty good so I don't know what to think
Theo1899May 29, 2020 4:43 AM
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 29, 2020 3:28 AM

Jan 2009
no news if Arifumi Imai is returning as main action key animator?
May 29, 2020 3:29 AM

Oct 2013
Tellatez said:
I don't know how they'll squeeze all those content into this last season hoped it's not rushed.
It's a shame that wit studio isn't working on the last season, but I hope Mappa produces the final season out well.
I miss the old art style.

Which art style do you miss though? Season 1, 2 or 3? Because the art style has made drastic changes over the season.

deg said:

this is the biggest surprise here since that means the PV will not look like the final TV series remember this Ironman Madhouse PV? ye the actual TV series does not look anything like that

Please stop spreading false rumors as wit studio is known for making pre animated preview trailers as well and nothing was change when it was released. Its not a surprise wit studio has been doing it too so why now people are making a big deal out of it?

@PraiseTheSun123

Based off the preview hell no! As this was the most hype preview for a snk trailer I have ever seen.
May 29, 2020 3:31 AM

Jan 2009
keragamming said:

deg said:

Please stop spreading false rumors as wit studio is known for making pre animated preview trailers as well and nothing was change when it was released.

dude i already answered you about this on another thread do check that out but here a copy and paste of it

pre-made in your own view here means they gonna recycle or add those pre-made scenes to the actual TV series which is very suspect on what the sakuga community calls pre-made PV which usually do not reuse any of the animated scenes from that kind of PV
May 29, 2020 3:34 AM

Dec 2015
MAPPA is a great studio. They always impressed me with their original anime. Art and music was nice and the plot also okay. (Well ... except the latest one ... Listeners is bad with the plot.)

For adaptions they seemde good with the "technical" stuff ... but thtey often used boring source (plot boring) material.

Now I'm looking forward here. I started to like the manga less in the later parts. But with anime (they will need at least 2-cour I think ... and the manga must end if this really is "final" and wants to adapt everything) it should look great I guess.
May 29, 2020 3:34 AM

Dec 2015
PraiseTheSun123 said:
Question for people familiar with MAPPA's work. Is there a chance this will become a Berserk?
Lol no? MAPPA is a decent studio.
May 29, 2020 3:37 AM

Nov 2019
KiraKiraClover said:
PraiseTheSun123 said:

no need to judge the studio just because of Berserk

What? I'm not judging the studio, I just haven't seen anything of them (except dorohedoro), so I'm curious of what people have to say.

Robiiii said:
Lol no? MAPPA is a decent studio.

Well that's good to hear.
EikonomachiaMay 29, 2020 3:40 AM
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
May 29, 2020 3:39 AM

Oct 2019
I love MAPPA but I really wonder if their style will suit SnK? Just looking at the preview, it looks great, but it lacks the crispness that WIT Studio has.
Oh well, I guess we'll see.
May 29, 2020 3:45 AM

Feb 2017
Sad that the staff has completely changed. Though their replacement all seem to be good thankfully. Trailer looks great too. But I am worried it's MAPPA, their schedules are mess. They really pick whatever they can.
May 29, 2020 3:46 AM

Sep 2011
I love MAPPA, but I was originally concerned that some of the Wit Studio flair might be missing. After watching the trailer, my worries were blown away. There are some differences but it still looks like what we expect out of the show. Very excited.

Do we know if this is going to be 12 or 24 episodes?

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
May 29, 2020 3:50 AM

Feb 2020
FuMomo-kun said:
With Wit Studio gone, I was wondering which studio'd pick it up. I would have preferred Production IG, but Mappa is also great. They have really amazing art and animations. Well, they'll probably make the characters a lot cuter than they should be, I guess. lol. Still, I am glad a good studio picked this up.

The character art from the PV just seems closer to the one from the manga.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

May 29, 2020 3:51 AM

Feb 2020
Xaeveax said:
I love MAPPA, but I was originally concerned that some of the Wit Studio flair might be missing. After watching the trailer, my worries were blown away. There are some differences but it still looks like what we expect out of the show. Very excited.

There's no way this can be fit in 12 episodes, it might even be more than 24.
Rest in Piece, Miura.
https://i.imgur.com/HzfqYqS.png

May 29, 2020 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
Xaeveax said:

We do not have information about it yet, unfortunately. :(
May 29, 2020 3:53 AM

Jul 2016
The director is hit or miss. MAPPA is decent studio, the PV is good. Worried about how they adapt it.

May 29, 2020 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
Here's an illustration drawn by the director to commemorate the news: https://twitter.com/MAPPA_Info/status/1266316336822489089
May 29, 2020 3:57 AM
Sep 2019
Xaeveax said:

Its gotta be 24 ( two seasons like part 1 and 2 of 12 episodes). There is just too much content.

In general, does anybody know why the studio was changed? I am sad that Wit-studio is not handling this but so far from PV, it looks like it is not going to be that bad.
May 29, 2020 3:58 AM

Jan 2009
Animeartist2000 said:
does anybody know why the studio was changed?

you miss this news last year? here https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/05/19/attack-on-titan-at-its-wits-end/
May 29, 2020 4:01 AM

Jan 2009
JR9253 said:

Though that trailer was amazingly edited together - I just hope that they pull through.

if by edited you mean they added a bunch of sakuga scenes that will be reuse later on to the actual TV series then no its actually a PV like that Ironman Madhouse PV one

the PV even has its own director and storyboards posted on the first post here

May 29, 2020 4:01 AM

Oct 2017
The character designs are meh except for Eren and the Marleyans... Let's see how this goes. At least now I know that I shouldn't look forward to this season.
May 29, 2020 4:12 AM

Dec 2018
MAPPA is a Russian roulette his productions only stand out technically (but not at the level of ufotable) however the direction and the stories are the ones that fail
May 29, 2020 4:13 AM

Jun 2016
deg said:
JR9253 said:

Though that trailer was amazingly edited together - I just hope that they pull through.

if by edited you mean they added a bunch of sakuga scenes that will be reuse later on to the actual TV series then no its actually a PV like that Ironman Madhouse PV one

the PV even has its own director and storyboards posted on the first post here

I hope they won't pull a rogue one or watch dogs on us
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 29, 2020 4:24 AM
Jul 2018
Staff comments including S1 director Tetsuo Araki https://twitter.com/aotwiki/status/1266329012487376896?s=21
May 29, 2020 4:27 AM

Sep 2009
deg said:
Animeartist2000 said:
does anybody know why the studio was changed?

you miss this news last year? here https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/05/19/attack-on-titan-at-its-wits-end/

The thing is that the article does not specify why the studio was changed, only 5that it will be and possible issues with it.
May 29, 2020 4:31 AM

Aug 2015
A few things:

-it looks better, less edgy and more closer to the manga designs.
-finally, we get rid of the shitty cg.
-the trailer have way too many spoilers lmao. But I mean the scenes looked amazing.
-I guess they will just cover everything. I hope they do a good 24+ season if possible.

People doubting Mappa? They are a great studio with it's flops, like most of the others.
May 29, 2020 4:31 AM

Oct 2013
@JR9253
@Theo1899

The trailer will look exactly like the final product as all previous season except for season 1 was also pre animated. Check out the previous seasons trailer and you will recognize all the scenes nothing was left out or even change.

@deg

You see what I'm talking about? You are spreading misinformation now persons are believing what they saw in the preview they wont be what they see in the actual anime.

I know what you are saying but you have worded it wrong and you are giving people the impression that this trailer will look nothing like what it will look when it starts airing.

@LookaLaki

The character design looks more like the manga design now, but meh a lot of person prefer wit design over them manga so I get why you would say that. Season 3 also change design from season 1 too and persons complain but eventually gotten use to it. I hope it will be the same for this.
keragammingMay 29, 2020 4:38 AM
May 29, 2020 4:33 AM
Aug 2017
The character design is pretty bad in my opinion. There were some sakuga moments but overall I don't think dis will be good sadly.
May 29, 2020 4:37 AM

Jan 2009
@keragamming

no im not spreading misinformation at all thats what it means by this

the PV is its own little anime production already and not just a bunch of edited added mixed sakuga scenes that will be present in the actual TV show
May 29, 2020 4:37 AM

Jun 2016
Pakumen- said:
-finally, we get rid of the shitty cg.

I see CG in all the places I would expect it from the previous seasons
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 29, 2020 4:38 AM
Apr 2016
Yuuichirou Hayashi, one of the responsible for the final season people, worked on Garo's and REDLINE! That male knows what "astonishing" is supposed to look like.
ImmovableObject said:
Mappa is getting everywhere these days. This is bound to reflect on the quality (Listeners is kinda bad). I am genuinly worried.

I am not exactly well versed in Listeners, but from what I gather, it is quite hard to produce quality content for questionable narrative. The concept of the series itself makes it impossible to, well, produce it in a great quality.
keragamming said:
@JR9253

@deg

You see what I'm talking about? You are spreading misinformation now persons are believing what they saw in the preview they wont be what they see in the actual anime.

I know what you are saying but you have worded it wrong and you are giving people the impression that this trailer will look nothing like what it will look when it starts airing.

Please bear with deg. He is not exactly known for putting thought into his words and being careful with them. Besides, anyone believing his claim would not be the brightest tool either. He seems to honestly believe something like Shingeki no Kyojin's preview could be allowed to end up being as misleading as some third rate American cartoon adaptation preview was. Yikes.

Daniel_NaumovMay 29, 2020 4:50 AM
Re:formed
May 29, 2020 4:47 AM

Jan 2009
@Daniel_Naumov

thats rich coming from you since you say a lot of stupid shits
May 29, 2020 4:48 AM
Sep 2019
I hope this new movie is for MAPPA Studios to calm us down on whether the animation for the final season will be good.
May 29, 2020 4:50 AM

Mar 2015
Looks good. Unfortunate that WIT isn't doing the full series, but alas. Hopefully MAPPA puts their all into this, AoT deserves it. Nice to see Sawano returning for the music.
May 29, 2020 4:51 AM
Apr 2016
deg said:
@Daniel_Naumov

No need to go mad over this. We all know you "enjoy" providing "accurate details" and "industry contexts and tweets" on the forums. As such, prepare to be rigorously criticized when failing with your little attention seeking scheme.
May 29, 2020 4:54 AM
Jul 2018
Well by the trailer I assume they somehow will fuck the forest scene

Sep 2011
Kanedgy_ said:
There's no way this can be fit in 12 episodes, it might even be more than 24.

I haven't read the manga so I don't know how much more content there is. But if you say there's a lot, then hopefully that means more episodes. It would suck to get a rushed finale.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."

Jan 2009
Daniel_Naumov said:
deg said:
@Daniel_Naumov

No need to go mad over this. We all know you "enjoy" providing "accurate details" and "industry contexts and tweets" on the forums. As such, prepare to be rigorously criticized when failing with your little attention seeking scheme.

err right im sharing info here im not looking for attention like you wannabe pretentious poet
May 29, 2020 4:55 AM

Oct 2018
NGL, the trailer looks f*cking amazing. Looks even better than the previous season made by Wit Studio

Really looking forward to it!
May 29, 2020 4:56 AM
Apr 2016
deg said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

err right im sharing info here im not looking for attention like you wannabe pretentious poet

Well you just shared some massive misinformation with forums full of vulnerable to fake news Americans. Way to go, way to go...
May 29, 2020 4:57 AM

Jun 2016
@Daniel_Naumov
From the two shows I've seen by hayashi in the direcor position, one was plain garbage and the other was pretty good so I can't judge his ability. One of the new staff members that's very exciting is chief director Jun Shishido who worked on hajime no ippo. That series had some partiularly well directed boxing action scenes.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Voice Actor Takeo Ootsuka Announces Marriage

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by ZXEAN »»
15 minutes ago

» Visual Novel '9' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 29

16 by nachomaxo1 »»
1 hour ago

» 'Ninja Batman tai Yakuza League' Sequel Anime Movie Announced

Hyperion_PS - May 30

3 by Swagernator »»
3 hours ago

» 'Natsume Yuujinchou' TV Anime Gets Seventh Season ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Jun 30, 2023

50 by Royal_Devils1 »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

» "Oshi no Ko" Season 2 Reveals Supporting Cast Pair, Opening Theme, First Promo

DatRandomDude - May 26

15 by red-tomato »»
Yesterday, 8:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.