Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Dec 24, 2023 2:26 AM
Mar 2016
Reply to off-season
Just what are those golden... things at the end? Bagworm earrings?
@off-season https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiocordyceps_sinensis
Dec 24, 2023 4:19 AM
Sep 2016
Finally, OLM succumbs to the temptation of CGI!!!! A pretty decent CGI, BTW....

Finally we reach EP finale of season 1. Let's hope season 2 will come~ Hollup! It's supposed to be a 2 cour 1st season. Yey, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto still continues! I mean, this EP really feels like a season finale wasn't it?

Next EP:
What!? Rakkan already!? Is Rakkan supposed to be introduced this soon!? I mean, Rakkan's name supposed to be mentioned somewhere in these next few EPs, but face reveal already!?
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Dec 24, 2023 5:49 AM

Jul 2014
The weakest episode of this show so far, felt moreso like a recap episode than an actual new episode to be honest.
Dec 24, 2023 6:09 AM

Aug 2023
Reply to PurpleMagic
Not going to lie this is the only episode so far that I didn't like. Simple communication something they're both good at. Just say hey do you want a permanent job here because I can fire you and rehire you in an instant. They both felt out of character.

The dramatic scenes went on for so long. The flashback was really long and showed us stuff MaoMao couldn't have possibly seen. Everything else felt like it was on 2x speed. Then he just swoops in to buy her from the lady. Like wow what an easy solution. Maybe I missed something but I never got the impression that she owed the old lady a bunch of money.
@PurpleMagic in episode 7 she went home with lihaku. In order to return the favour to that guy she set him up with one of her sister. Since they are very costly lihaku wasn’t able to pay and then that old lady told maomao that she has to pay the whole amount.
Dec 24, 2023 6:09 AM

Aug 2023
Reply to Ishitateso
Watching it the first time I didn't understand why would he sack her when she clearly asked him that did not fire her. Not until rewatching that scene did I realize that she only said she would do whatever she would be ordered to and all the other things were only her thoughts. For some reason the animation director decided that the angles of the shots shouldn't make it easy for the viewer to distinguish between her inner and outer monologue (showing her back and barely her month while her voice actor didn't change her tone much to indicate that difference between when she was speaking and her thoughts). So yes, she didn't make it clear what she really wanted. Just saying because maybe others were just as confused as me.

@PurpleMagic Yes, that she was debted to the old lady was something out of the blue to me as well. I don't remember that she owed anything to that madam or that Maomao was the property of her in any way. It would be hard to imagine that the story just pulled that without any previous explanation so it should have been mentioned in a previous episode. BTW I agree with you, the direction of this episode was a little bit week.
@Ishitateso in episode 7 she went home with lihaku. In order to return the favour to that guy she set him up with one of her sister. Since they are very costly lihaku wasn’t able to pay and then that old lady told maomao that she has to pay the whole amount.
Dec 24, 2023 6:16 AM

May 2023
Reply to IzanaSolos
Lmao, Jinshi definitely had the last laugh that night.

Due to the incident involving Fengming, the punishment extended not only to her relatives but also to those associated with her. Among them was Maomao, who had been sold by the involved merchant as a victim of human trafficking. Maomao, who wished to remain in the imperial palace, suffered from her lack of eloquence and was dismissed as a relation of Fengming. Returning to the entertainment district and working at her former residence, one night, she visited a mansion where a client awaited, serving as an attendant to the three princesses, Mei-Mei, Pai-Ling, and Joka. To her surprise, she encountered a familiar figure there, Jinshi.

I'm a bit confused. Fengming is the only one who did something wrong, but they're punishing not just her family, but also anyone who had any dealings with them? Hope they touch on it next episode. Jinshi is pretty slick. I was hoping they'd talk about why a supposed eunuch was there. I wonder when she'll realize that Jinshi is actually in love with her. And, you know, how long it'll take for her to feel the same way. The music is still amazing, especially that beautiful OST they played during the scene when Maomao was remembering her time in the Palace. The whole scene was just so beautiful. I can't wait for the soundtrack to come out.

What a way to wrap up the first cour and end the year!

No episode until January 7th, sadly. Cour 2 also starts on January 7th, so new OP and ED time! See y'all then.
https://twitter.com/kusuriya_PR/status/1738596383404552389
@IzanaSolos I believe the reason for punishing the rest of Fengming family is due to how they acted back then, so if someone from a certain family commited a crime or a grave sin the whole family would get punsihed.
Dec 24, 2023 7:06 AM

Jul 2016
That montage tho. Maomao's kidnappers really had no idea how much of an impact the random girl they kidnapped would end up having on the palace.

Also, the happy dance from seeing a rare herb or poison or whatever will never not be funny.
Dec 24, 2023 7:20 AM
Mar 2020
that indirect kiss put me on a chokehold
Dec 24, 2023 7:24 AM
Mar 2020
Reply to BlichoBoy
Basically this episode was, Jinshi going from "I don't like to see Maomao just as a tool" , to "Know what? Lets go with the buy her."
@BlichoBoy he bought her because she told him that she enjoys experimenting and collecting herbs as an apothecary. She also said that buying her is not a bad idea of his. That's a win-win situation
Dec 24, 2023 7:27 AM
Mar 2020
Reply to burungmengambang
@JanWiller06
the short answer: no
the long answer: (this contains a mild spoiler for the next episode)
@burungmengambang so she's not Lady Gyokuyou's attendant anymore? Ahh, so excited for the upcoming episodes
Dec 24, 2023 8:35 AM
Feb 2022
best episode of this anime so far
Dec 24, 2023 8:49 AM

Jun 2016
holy fuckkk this show is fucking awesome and has beautiful plot story !!!

i cant believe im hooked so deeply with this anime !!!
Dec 24, 2023 8:56 AM

May 2020
lets goo jinshi bought maomao

Dec 24, 2023 9:57 AM
Jul 2017
ugh oh were doing into the pedophilia realm pls pump the brakes
Dec 24, 2023 12:30 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to -Sleek-
@PurpleMagic in episode 7 she went home with lihaku. In order to return the favour to that guy she set him up with one of her sister. Since they are very costly lihaku wasn’t able to pay and then that old lady told maomao that she has to pay the whole amount.
@-Sleek- Ah okay I completely forgot about that, never thought that would come into the show again.
Dec 24, 2023 1:13 PM

May 2014
this show is ioncredible
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Dec 24, 2023 2:54 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to JanWiller06
Did Jinshi ask MaoMao to Marriage?
@JanWiller06 not yet. Later, way later.
Dec 24, 2023 3:44 PM
Nov 2020
PurpleMagic said:
Not going to lie this is the only episode so far that I didn't like. Simple communication something they're both good at. Just say hey do you want a permanent job here because I can fire you and rehire you in an instant. They both felt out of character.

The dramatic scenes went on for so long. The flashback was really long and showed us stuff MaoMao couldn't have possibly seen. Everything else felt like it was on 2x speed. Then he just swoops in to buy her from the lady. Like wow what an easy solution. Maybe I missed something but I never got the impression that she owed the old lady a bunch of money.

She owed the old lady for the military officer who spent time with the courtesan. It cost a lot especially for someone who makes servants wages.
Dec 24, 2023 4:41 PM
Jun 2020
anyone know the song and artist used in the montage near-ish the end of the ep? the person’s voice sounds very familiar but I can’t put my finger on it. I just need someone to confirm my thoughts ‼️
Dec 24, 2023 5:04 PM

Nov 2023
They really had to add a banger to my playlist at the end.

Overall, a great episode, I have no complaints.
Dec 24, 2023 5:06 PM

Nov 2023
Reply to nexnoodlesoup
anyone know the song and artist used in the montage near-ish the end of the ep? the person’s voice sounds very familiar but I can’t put my finger on it. I just need someone to confirm my thoughts ‼️
@nexnoodlesoup Flowers in the Snow - Kanako Kishi, Mashiro Uchida, and Satoru Kōsaki
Dec 24, 2023 6:19 PM

Oct 2022
Strange herb growing from an insect is most likely a form of mushroom. Any plant that grows from an animal/insect are poisonous.
Dec 24, 2023 6:39 PM

Mar 2007
Ah, Mao returning to the pleasure district fills me with anxiety for what "might" happen plus an unbearable anticipation of the soon to be coming comedy bits.

But this time, there were very large assets on display that made me think "are these women really worth 1 year's salary?" Seems insane.
Dec 24, 2023 7:17 PM

Dec 2022
So he really bought her out xD
Dec 24, 2023 8:01 PM

Oct 2022
This show sometimes has it's characters make such awkward contemporary comments which completely neutralizes the insidiousness of the reality of things. --> 'This is just me working part-time.' Like... what are you saying? You are literally one step away from having to sell your body at the rate this is going.

Dec 24, 2023 9:21 PM

Feb 2019
Can't wait to see what happens next, I hope Maomao returns to service in the palace~
Dec 24, 2023 9:59 PM

Nov 2022
Jinshi really knows how to bribe Maomao and the old lady. Every ep is lit!
Dec 24, 2023 10:19 PM

Oct 2022
Heh, Maomao got bought off by a strange herb without realising it. XD

Dec 24, 2023 11:39 PM

Mar 2011
I love how Jinshi initially really wanted to do what’s best for Maomao and ask her what she wants. Even though once again there’s failed communication leading into yet another misunderstanding (hate when this happens). But I loved and paused the moment when Jinshi was growing mushrooms. Reminded me of Ouran High School Host Club when Tamaki grew mushrooms :D. So now both scenes can live rent-free in my head.

Hm… I don’t really like the direction they took with Maomao really just working at the Brothel. Kind of hate this part and also feel like it could have been written differently. Yes, Maomao is beautiful but she doesn’t fit there. Just to use it as set-up. The pacing felt really off in this episode because of this. Which might also due to the too frequent flashbacks in my opinion (regardless of the song). I feel like they use too much time focusing on moments when they could use it to develop other characters and their interactions better. They can take these moments but make them more brief. It wouldn’t lose its impact but probably increase it. I get that Maomao is the main character (and very likable) but if you do that to a main character basically shoving it into other people’s faces they automatically become less likable (if that makes sense? Or in other words tip for all the writers out there: never force your bias onto your audience, they will feel pressured to like the same characters in the same way). And I like Jinshi… really but sometimes I don’t get why people say their interactions seem more natural compared to other anime. This might be the first episode I didn’t really like but I guess it’s still ok…

One thing I gotta say is the animation is still stunning and I simply LOVE the OST. Just wish they would make better use of it than only flashbacks. So far every song that played was very fitting to set the right mood and I really appreciate this.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Dec 24, 2023 11:41 PM

Mar 2011
Reply to BlichoBoy
Basically this episode was, Jinshi going from "I don't like to see Maomao just as a tool" , to "Know what? Lets go with the buy her."
@BlichoBoy That's why I don't like the pacing of this. I feel like it was so off and they should have invested more time into the build-up and reasoning. This just makes most characters look worse than they are.
You're the light shining over The black and gloomy nights
So long I've been waiting To run into your arms
Oh, my only one desire You're the one I need
Through the thousand years ~ Evermore

"Midnight Sun" by AleXa

Dec 25, 2023 12:30 AM
Dec 2023
Excited to see if Maomao will develop feelings for Jinshi in the upcoming episodes
Dec 25, 2023 12:38 AM

Dec 2022
I love how much Maomao gets teased with her interactions with Jinshi, especially from the courtesans.
Dec 25, 2023 12:41 AM

Oct 2022
Love the animation and character designs. The story is a little plodding, but perhaps it's just a relaxed pace in contrast to our world of hyperactivity. I'm enjoying it either way!
UndefeatedBahamut
Dec 25, 2023 2:45 AM
Sep 2021
That was a good ending to the 1st cour, excited for more mysteries, comedy & characters in the 2nd cour
Dec 25, 2023 3:58 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
What a great episode to end the first cour with. It briefly becomes a recap, but I don't even mind because it fits in so well as Maomao thinks about returning to the rear palace, remembering the time she spent there. Time for a short break, beforing returning to one of the best anime of 2023. Even though it's only half complete, but for me this is most definitely in the top 5 of the year; possiblly 3rd, right behind Sousou no Freiren (also only half done at the end of 2023 here but still so f*CKING good), and vinland saga.

Looking forward to the next cour which I believe will be even better.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 25, 2023 4:02 AM

Sep 2009
Reply to uncleqrow

Finally we reach EP finale of season 1. Let's hope season 2 will come~ Hollup! It's supposed to be a 2 cour 1st season. Yey, Kusuriya no Hitorigoto still continues! I mean, this EP really feels like a season finale wasn't it?

Next EP:
What!? Rakkan already!? Is Rakkan supposed to be introduced this soon!? I mean, Rakkan's name supposed to be mentioned somewhere in these next few EPs, but face reveal already!?
@uncleqrow technically Lakan first appeared in ch. 4 of vol. 2 of LNs so it should be in a couple of episiodes but he may make a cameo.
Dec 25, 2023 6:03 AM

Dec 2022
First successful crit hit Jinshi scored against Maomao, can't wait for the rest of the season.
Dec 25, 2023 6:09 AM

Oct 2022
Gotta say, love the traditional Chinese music instrumentation. Reminds me of old live dramas I used to watch when I was younger.
Dec 25, 2023 9:38 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Loved it! Very good episode, again. Hyped for the next one!
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Dec 25, 2023 1:23 PM
Jul 2020
the animation is soooo good
Dec 25, 2023 5:01 PM

Dec 2022
The man finally learned how to handle Maomao.

Dec 25, 2023 5:09 PM

Nov 2022
Of course Maomao would love some Cordyceps fungi that parasitized some insects. Much like the Ox Gall she received in a previous episode, it was used in Traditional Chinese Medicine, but there is no scientific evidence that it is useful for anything.
Dec 25, 2023 7:38 PM
Nov 2015
I don't think I've ever been as invested in a romance as I am in the one between Jinshi and Maomao it's just so cute. He's so down bad lmao
Dec 25, 2023 8:53 PM

Apr 2014
Wish there'd been more work put into the courtesans dance and song number than the mostly slideshow we got.
More actually dancing sakuga animation and hearing the singer.
I say "I'm speechless" to tell you I want to say something though am not sure how...
Dec 26, 2023 4:25 AM
Sep 2018
Reply to IzanaSolos

Due to the incident involving Fengming, the punishment extended not only to her relatives but also to those associated with her. Among them was Maomao, who had been sold by the involved merchant as a victim of human trafficking. Maomao, who wished to remain in the imperial palace, suffered from her lack of eloquence and was dismissed as a relation of Fengming. Returning to the entertainment district and working at her former residence, one night, she visited a mansion where a client awaited, serving as an attendant to the three princesses, Mei-Mei, Pai-Ling, and Joka. To her surprise, she encountered a familiar figure there, Jinshi.

I'm a bit confused. Fengming is the only one who did something wrong, but they're punishing not just her family, but also anyone who had any dealings with them? Hope they touch on it next episode. Jinshi is pretty slick. I was hoping they'd talk about why a supposed eunuch was there. I wonder when she'll realize that Jinshi is actually in love with her. And, you know, how long it'll take for her to feel the same way. The music is still amazing, especially that beautiful OST they played during the scene when Maomao was remembering her time in the Palace. The whole scene was just so beautiful. I can't wait for the soundtrack to come out.

No episode until January 7th, sadly. Cour 2 also starts on January 7th, so new OP and ED time! See y'all then.
@IzanaSolos She tried to poison a consort, anybody linked to her could be an accomplice and attempt to finish what she started.
Dec 26, 2023 6:08 AM

Oct 2016
Well, I now watched half a season of this show, I was curious about it because of the premise and all the hype and praise it got, but after 50% of the series I still don't see what is so great about it. The production, directing and atmosphere are very good, the main character is interesting to follow, but I don't see anything in the plot. All I see is two characters that are very good at what they have to do plot-wise on a semi-episodic manner, and good drama that is undercut by comedy.

If the series was all the time like episodes 4, 8, 9, and more specifically, 11, I would keep watching it and consider it good or even great, but up until this point it wasn't, and episode 12 was the proof of it, seeing how easily the main issue presented was resolved (or not?, I'm confused by the next episode preview), and I otherwise would prefer more seasons of Oooku also from this year instead.

I wish you all a good time in the next three months with this series and a happy new year.
CaptainKenshiroDec 26, 2023 6:21 AM
Dec 26, 2023 7:26 AM

Feb 2021
Jinshi is really smooth with that indirect kiss. I can't help replaying the scene. Seeing the expression maomao made is simply too funny.

Dec 26, 2023 7:51 AM
Mar 2018
loved it and have been following it weekly

Dec 26, 2023 10:24 AM

Apr 2013
Reply to uncleqrow

Next EP:
@uncleqrow AFAIK Lakan's face reveal in the novel is around 75/345p in the second volume so assuming we'll get 12 episodes for the second volume, it should have been revealed around episode 15 rather than 13. That's not going to make any major difference honnestly. Technicall ywe had Suiren (and probably suirei as well) both appeared in an early episode as well rather than in the following episodes, but she didn't say a word so literally no one even bothered to pay attention to her.
Dec 26, 2023 1:16 PM
Apr 2023
Reply to IzanaSolos

@IzanaSolos I dont think it was necessarily punishment but more so that they had to release people who were affiliated with her incase they conspired against the emperor, its not good to have the allies of the person you slaughtered to serve you tea and breakfast
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
Yesterday, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.