Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Dec 6, 2015 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
Mind rape,the hallelujah chorus sure added to the eeriness of it.

Asuka's facade broken,Eva pilot can't be mentally stable so knew something was up with her.

"What are you doing there?! You won't do anything! You won't help me! You won't even hold me!" Asuka has feelings for Shinji and Shinji is too dense to notice.
Dec 7, 2015 9:15 AM

Oct 2012
I don't really know if Asuka has romantic feelings for Shinji per say. But she definitely wants somebody to notice her and be there for her, even if she can't say it.
Her mother's rejection, Kaji's rejection, and her own rejection of herself were finally shed to light in this episode.
Also I noticed how she was on her period too. There was a definite contrast to when Kaji said she wasn't old enough, and Asuka trying to prove she was old enough, yet then we hear her in the bathroom saying "Why do I have to go through this? I don't even want children".
This episode is really full of that childhood/adulthood dynamic
Dec 23, 2015 9:21 AM

Jul 2013
Asuka has no chill, i guess it's because of her past, her mentally ill mother who wanted to kill herself, her father having great sex with another woman, so nobody gave a flying fuck about Asuka anymore.

But still she has no chill, wanting everyone to treat her like a princess, when they don't she would be pissed off and hating on everyone, and even then hating herself for being a bitch, well characters are broken as it is, why not more, that what makes this series so good
Jan 1, 2016 6:12 PM

Feb 2013
(rewatching again)

5/5
This episode is why Asuka is so adored by her fans. <3

Plus, elevator scene.

About it being "that time of the month"... at best, this kind of thing would be used as a joke in most anime. Here, it's used in such a way that it just adds to the devastation experienced by Asuka.

This is the stuff that makes this anime 10/10 and the 3rd best I have ever seen.
Jan 29, 2016 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
Great episode. I loved the psychology of it all.
Perfect choice of music for the mind raping. Good to see some Asuka backstory too.
Feb 8, 2016 6:34 PM

Aug 2014
Asuka has gone mad , she was a bit annoying in this episode .
Good Episode .
Feb 10, 2016 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
I want to strangle that bitch Asuka
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Feb 11, 2016 12:24 PM

Jun 2014
When Asuka said "Why do I have to go through this? I don't even want children" I instantly fell in love with her. lol
Apr 8, 2016 3:37 AM

Sep 2015
What? What?! WHY IS THE EPISODE PREVIEW TELLING ME THAT REI DIES?! WHAT KIND OF PREVIEW DOES THAT?! REI, MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OF THIS ANIME, IS GOING TO DIE NEXT EPISODE AND THE GODDAMNED EPISODE PREVIEW WON'T EVEN LET ME BE SHOCKED AND HORRIFIED! INSTEAD, I'M JUST GOING TO BE DREADING IT ALL NEXT EPISODE! GODDAMMIT! FUCK EVERYTHING!
Apr 20, 2016 6:58 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Idk why but at the first seconds of the hallelujah scene i lol'd
But after that well ... damn.
that was something.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 9, 2016 12:24 PM
Mar 2016
Ok,What the fuck happened to Asuka's mother? Why did she go insane? Asuka's past was quite confusing for me, but i get the point i suppose, she had a horrible childhood.
i also get that's she's trying too prob that she can stand for herself and be independent and she hates shinji because he competes with her as a pilot but what about Shouji? Is she just in love with him or there's more?
Jul 10, 2016 4:08 AM
Oct 2011
Naniun234 said:
Ok,What the fuck happened to Asuka's mother? Why did she go insane? Asuka's past was quite confusing for me, but i get the point i suppose, she had a horrible childhood.
i also get that's she's trying too prob that she can stand for herself and be independent and she hates shinji because he competes with her as a pilot but what about Shouji? Is she just in love with him or there's more?
Long story short. Her Mom's sanity seems to have been absorbed into the eva.
Jul 16, 2016 3:55 PM

May 2016
I was already heartbroken by the ending of episode 21, but I had no idea that this would be even more soul-crushing.

The mental image of the doll hanging from the noose will stay in you.
Jul 21, 2016 6:24 PM

Feb 2016
Poor Asuka. Now we finally understand why she is so messed up. That lance scene with Rei was super epic though. Why does the preview spoil us with Rei's death ?? I hope it was just a misleading information or something like that.
Jul 27, 2016 9:29 PM

Jun 2013
shinji needs to man up and comfort asuka not with just mere words. a long hug is probably what she needs right now to keep her calm
Aug 16, 2016 12:29 PM

Aug 2016
Seeing into Asuka's mind/past explains her attitude alot, even knowing that i find her annoying.
Sep 25, 2016 8:24 AM

Feb 2015
I'm not a German speaker but Asuka's phone call didn't sound very natural to my ears... I would even go far to saying it sounds like Engrish... but German instead!

Oh and less Asuka and more Rei... please.
Sep 26, 2016 2:36 AM
Oct 2011
iDensity said:
I'm not a German speaker but Asuka's phone call didn't sound very natural to my ears... I would even go far to saying it sounds like Engrish... but German instead!

Oh and less Asuka and more Rei... please.
I never got the appeal of a character with no personality.
Sep 26, 2016 3:37 AM

Feb 2015
animalia said:
]I never got the appeal of a character with no personality.

Rei doesn't have enough screentime and I'm sick of this almost every bleeding time she shows up... It hurts my ears.
Sep 26, 2016 5:17 AM
Oct 2011
iDensity said:
animalia said:
]I never got the appeal of a character with no personality.

Rei doesn't have enough screentime and I'm sick of this almost every bleeding time she shows up... It hurts my ears.
I'm not saying Asuka isn't annoying. I just find even an annoying personality better than no personality.
Nov 1, 2016 2:47 PM

Jun 2016
I think it's the first time I felt sympathy for Asuka. It was painful to watch :/
Nov 17, 2016 6:08 PM

Aug 2014
All I got from this episode was a brat PMSing for 20 minutes straight.
How do you expect me to sympathize with Asuka when the first thing I wanna do is strangle her?

I love the psychological bits of the show but man they're fucking killing me with all of those flashing lights.
KashKetchumNov 17, 2016 6:17 PM
Nov 18, 2016 12:18 AM

Dec 2015
@Kryptiq Nobody expects you to sympathize with her. I never liked her as a person, I disliked her. But the revealed causes of her behaviour were interesting nonetheless. At the end, it is a pretty good character like the two other Children.

The flashing lights were panels showing some german words if I remember them correctly. Along with filtered/deformed reused pictures (not sure anymore, but even the deformations or reversed orientations may have a meaning).
I remember how painful it was on VCR to try to see each picture XD

PS: is this really the episode where Asuka has her menstruation? o_o
Nov 19, 2016 4:06 PM

Aug 2014
Rei366 said:
@Kryptiq Nobody expects you to sympathize with her. I never liked her as a person, I disliked her. But the revealed causes of her behaviour were interesting nonetheless. At the end, it is a pretty good character like the two other Children.

The flashing lights were panels showing some german words if I remember them correctly. Along with filtered/deformed reused pictures (not sure anymore, but even the deformations or reversed orientations may have a meaning).
I remember how painful it was on VCR to try to see each picture XD

PS: is this really the episode where Asuka has her menstruation? o_o

I see your point. I never liked Asuka ever since her introduction (hell even before since she was indeed the reason I avoided watching this series for years) but I did want to give her character a chance...sadly I think I've reached my boiling point. I can at least respect what this episode was trying to accomplish, even if it didn't connect with me.

I can only imagine. I feel like I'm about to have a seizure everytime they appear xD

PS : lol Ignore that comment, I was just venting ;)
Nov 21, 2016 4:40 AM
Oct 2011
if it makes you feel better
Nov 29, 2016 2:26 PM

Aug 2014
animalia said:
if it makes you feel better

Can't wait! Thanks for the heads up ;)
Jan 4, 2017 2:08 PM

Feb 2013
I'm starting to question how anyone can like Asuka. Sure she's been through some shit but holy fuck. So much screaming and hating on everyone and everything. She's so mentally unstable. The Lance of Longinus sure is a capable weapon. It killed that Angel like it was nothing! Sucks that they lost it. Maybe they'll get it later. I hope. I feel like it's too valuable to lose it. I wonder if Asuka will still be able to pilot Unit 02. After this episode I'm not so sure. She was losing synchronization during this episode and after these events I'd be surprised if she still can.
Jan 5, 2017 1:49 AM

Dec 2015
@Nano1124 Most people "liking Asuka" like the "false Asuka" the girl build due to her problems. So you can't really say that they like her, it's more a surface thing.
(saying that, but I don't like her as a person myself, only as a character)

But now, you know where this hate or disdain for everyone and will to elevate her came from ^^
Also, she actually offered several chances to Shinji to really approach her. But he was either oblivious, too concerned with himself or simply unable to take the slightest initiative.

@animalia True.

edit @Paleshika That's all the information you will get. The german words, pictures and dialogues coupled with Asuka's monologue and your knowledge of the Ikari Yui case are supposed to work together here.

@Nishi_23 Hum, what's the problem? This "Asuka episode" was pretty straightforward. Did you have a problem with the sequence where the angel invades her mind or is it something else? (I thought that was the kind of things you would enjoy based on your expectation)

@Zerity Interesting ! What did it to be able to break the record?
Rei_IIIFeb 6, 2018 11:47 AM
Jan 5, 2017 2:28 PM
Oct 2011
Rei366 said:
@Nano1124 Most people "liking Asuka" like the "false Asuka" the girl build due to her problems. So you can't really say that they like her, it's more a surface thing.
(saying that, but I don't like her as a person myself, only as a character)

But now, you know where this hate or disdain for everyone and will to elevate her came from ^^
Also, she actually offered several chances to Shinji to really approach her. But he was either oblivious, too concerned with himself or simply unable to take the slightest initiative.
To be fair Asuka DID keep sending out mixed signals
animaliaJan 7, 2017 3:25 AM
Jan 12, 2017 4:27 PM

Sep 2015
I hope Asuka doesn't get relieved of her duties as pilot of Eva Unit 02
Mar 29, 2017 8:50 PM

Dec 2012
Fuck I laughed so hard during the awkward silent elevator scene, and again when the hallelujah music started playing hahaha

I want more information on Asuka's relationship with her mom and what happened, got very creepy there with the doll's head in the noose asking Asuka to die with her... super badass!
Apr 2, 2017 5:19 AM
Oct 2011
Paleshika said:
Fuck I laughed so hard during the awkward silent elevator scene, and again when the hallelujah music started playing hahaha

I want more information on Asuka's relationship with her mom and what happened, got very creepy there with the doll's head in the noose asking Asuka to die with her... super badass!
They don't say anything out right and leave you to infer most of it here.
Apr 19, 2017 5:46 PM

Feb 2016
Why the fuck do they need to spoil the next episode completely, i hope that the preview was just a bait and the best girl doesn't die for real.

lol that music choice tho.
Jul 19, 2017 9:38 PM

Mar 2013
I knew Asuka is insufferable, but she takes it to a whole new level here.

I honestly didn't find her backstory and psychological torture that compelling and the music was cringe.
Jul 30, 2017 8:02 AM

Feb 2015
Jesus christ, this just isn't fun anymore.

Am I the only one who doesn't have a clue what's going on?
Aug 22, 2017 3:13 AM
Oct 2016
Rei finally did something!
Great episode : 18/20
Sep 17, 2017 7:32 AM

Nov 2016
Well, after this episode one can definitely see where Asukas personality and behaviour are born from.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 28, 2017 9:18 PM

Dec 2015
What a fucking god like episode jesus christ, how the whole Asuka getting mentally raped scene was so damn well paced, directed, shot, acted, everything hujfddbdhdhndjd also that last shot of the mind fuck scene was so fucking good, this is my favorite episode by far

but still Love Live is better than Eva imo
hi
Nov 23, 2017 1:41 PM

Jul 2013
I feel like I am going on some sort of acid trip or something.
Dec 30, 2017 4:01 PM

Jan 2010
The End of Evangelion movie is also a huge part why people love Asuka imo, at least it is for me.
Jan 1, 2018 11:10 AM

Apr 2014
Ahh, so much screaming.. my ears..
Jan 27, 2018 2:18 PM

Apr 2015
Okay, for the first time I'm starting to feel sympathy for and understand Asuka. The episode started out relatively weak, with Asuka being upset that a grown man wouldn't fuck her, but her character suddenly became much more understandable once we found out about her childhood/her mother. Her emotions may seem irrational, but she's the closest thing to a normal fourteen-year-old this series has, which might be symbolized by her having her period as normal fourteen-year-old girls do (whatever Rei is, we haven't heard any mention of her having a period).

Misato heard Asuka having a breakdown in the bathtub and was just sort of like "Fuck it, I give up." I don't think they should be living together, but at the same time, it might be more dangerous for them to live alone.

"If she screws this up, that bitch won't be piloting anymore." Whoa. They're suddenly throwing around the word 'bitch' a lot (at least in the English dub) in these last few episodes.

Asuka's not dead physically, but she might be completely fried now mentally after getting mind-raped by that Angel.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 5, 2018 3:41 PM

Jul 2017
This is the worst ep to ever be made in this series

@Rei366 it was all about Asuka
ZerityFeb 6, 2018 11:51 AM
Feb 19, 2018 11:06 AM

Mar 2016
It has finally come to a point where it's 100% correct to say that... Everyoone got some sort of CRIPPLING D E P R E S S I O N! (I didn't say this before but, WHERE ARE THE PSYCHIATRISTS???)

Asuka's past is more clearly explained, even though the 'forced-flashback' only showed compilations of Asuka's memory. She already got a self-hate attitude but it's more significant now + she also hates everyone and everything.

[b]The truth about the second impact, angels, evas and everything else is near. Hopefully, it's explained and revealed in a way to really affect the audience.

Warning
This episode will give you seizures and a form of mental illness...
Mar 8, 2018 10:54 AM

Sep 2017
Frankly, Asuka reminds me of the tsundere from Stein's gate.

But that is not the way you deal with things. Rei tries again and again to help Asuka, but Asuka is still a bitch.

Actually, I felt a lot like Asuka before, hating everyone. It is a lonely feeling. Quite lonely. Well, I can't tell what she is actually thinking or how she actually feels, but not everything in the world is a competition. Not everything belongs to you. You keep thinking that your purpose is to succeed, and ultimately, that will bring you to failure. Actually, it may be a cry for attention. Shinji got recognition and was able to speak with his friends because he succeeded as an Eva, but Asuka tried to succeed so that she could have recognition like what Shinji has now.

I feel sorry for Asuka now. But, still, it is wrong to numb your suffering by hurling hate at others. Wrong. Asuka doesn't realize that.

Rei is best girl. Not only is she ready to sacrifice her life, but she saved Asuka. Also gave her some serious life advice.
If you don't open your mind, you cannot move.

I disagree with this statement.
Moonliht12 said:
Rei finally did something!
Great episode : 18/20

Rei had already done lots of great things. She was the one who protected Shinji from the diamond Angel, at the cost of her own life. She was the one who helped immensely in the spider Angel attack. Also, she coordinated perfectly with Shinji and could have easily defeated the dividing Angel along with Shinji, if they didn't opt for her initially. She also was crucial to the destruction of the paper arm Angel, by attacking its defenses and penetrating the AT field. Without that, Shinji would have been dead in the first round with that Titan Angel. In fact, I would be offended if they didn't give her a commendation for bravery already, before Shinji receives his.

And Asuka needs to learn to put the priority of others over her own. That pride can kill you. She should have been in the rear end, and retreated when the beam affected her.

In a way, I am happy that they portrayed Asuka on screen. Though I still hate her, she shows what is wrong with being overbearing heroes on a fundamental level. Karma slaps back.

CatSoul said:

"If she screws this up, that bitch won't be piloting anymore." Whoa. They're suddenly throwing around the word 'bitch' a lot (at least in the English dub) in these last few episodes.

Seems like the English dub team isn't holding back either. They didn't use the word in the original Japanese version however.
JeremiahOrangeMar 8, 2018 11:08 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 15, 2018 12:54 PM

Jul 2017
Hallelujah indeed.
Here I come, rougher than the rest of them
The best of them, tougher than leather
You can call me knuckles, unlike sonic I don't chuckle
I'd rather flex my muscles
I'm hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell
I break'em down whether they're solid or frail
Unlike the rest I'm independent
It's my first breath, first test
Feel the right then the worst's left
Aug 26, 2018 9:48 PM

Feb 2017
Asuka's turn to ride on the dementia merry-go-round.
Dec 15, 2018 3:42 PM

Aug 2013
Poor Asuka.

A lot of screaming in this episode.

Dec 24, 2018 9:58 PM

Dec 2018
I really hate how much time they spend on these loops of the same 10 or so seconds of animation, absolutely infuriating and cheap.

maybe they should have considered using anyone, literally anyone, from that class who isn't also a prime candidate for the mental health ward. I still can't bring myself to give a damn what happens to anyone in this god forsaken train wreck that plays like some kind of cringe emo fanfiction.
Feb 2, 2019 3:52 AM

Jan 2015
That was very awkward. The series has changed so much.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

190 by acespanol »»
Yesterday, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

216 by acespanol »»
Yesterday, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - Feb 6, 2008

198 by acespanol »»
Yesterday, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

270 by acespanol »»
Yesterday, 12:29 PM

» Appropriate for Christians?

264354287 - Feb 4, 2015

18 by NoviSun »»
Yesterday, 2:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.