Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 18, 2023 8:22 AM

May 2020
The freckled self is back, and though Maomao was already looking good the way she was, it can’t be helped that she actually feels home with this look, so let it be that way… as for the poison mystery, it’s still uncertain who did for what goods, but we did actually have a confirmation that Lishu’s serving girls indeed had a “upto-no-good” motives…

… I mean hilarious to think they’re trying to bully the same master they serve, just because she’s quite younger than them? Though if anything, Maomao did the part of her job to scare one of those, just so they wouldn’t dare to do something like what happened in the garden party again, but who knows if they’ll learn.

Anyways, since the title of this episode was quite literally “homecoming”, it would've been weird if we didn’t see something along those lines. Now since Maomao has four of the hairpins or ornaments, she’s eligible to step out of the inner palace and visit her hometown. As for the guarantor… I mean we do have that one simp guy, Rihaku, from the last episode, right? Dude literally decided to tag Maomao… as that’d give him a chance to spend the night with one of the top “workers” of the red light district Maomao was aware of.

Fair enough motivation, but felt for Jinshi. Though I like how Maomao's father didn't even give a hint of surprise upon Maomao's return lol.
Nov 18, 2023 8:22 AM

Dec 2021
Maomao has quickly become one of my recent favorite female protagonists; I truly love her resourcefulness.

A night after the garden party, while investigating the poisoned container at Gaoshun's request, Maomao discovers that Consort Lishu is being bullied by the maids. Additionally, she learns from Xiaolan that she can use the hairpin received at the garden party to leave the palace. Entertaining the idea of returning home, Maomao is troubled by a series of unfolding events. However, Jinshi is unaware of Maomao's plans to return home, preoccupied as he is with the successive incidents.

Honestly, all these theories and speculations are beginning to click. The idea of "bullying" seems plausible, especially when connected to the food tester. Adorable Maomao shows a bit of cheekiness and scheming in this chapter. Oh, the suffering you cause, Maomao, especially to Jinshi. I had hoped that the new officer could become a potential love interest for Maomao. Perhaps things could take a different turn in the future? Personally, anyone would be preferable to that "cocky" eunuch, to be honest. I'm curious, if those guys are eunuchs, why would they care about women and be interested in a brothel?

Nice to see everyone from episode 1 again, but what's up with Maomao's dad?

Nov 18, 2023 10:19 AM
Apr 2021
Reply to IzanaSolos
Maomao has quickly become one of my recent favorite female protagonists; I truly love her resourcefulness.

A night after the garden party, while investigating the poisoned container at Gaoshun's request, Maomao discovers that Consort Lishu is being bullied by the maids. Additionally, she learns from Xiaolan that she can use the hairpin received at the garden party to leave the palace. Entertaining the idea of returning home, Maomao is troubled by a series of unfolding events. However, Jinshi is unaware of Maomao's plans to return home, preoccupied as he is with the successive incidents.

Honestly, all these theories and speculations are beginning to click. The idea of "bullying" seems plausible, especially when connected to the food tester. Adorable Maomao shows a bit of cheekiness and scheming in this chapter. Oh, the suffering you cause, Maomao, especially to Jinshi. I had hoped that the new officer could become a potential love interest for Maomao. Perhaps things could take a different turn in the future? Personally, anyone would be preferable to that "cocky" eunuch, to be honest. I'm curious, if those guys are eunuchs, why would they care about women and be interested in a brothel?

Nice to see everyone from episode 1 again, but what's up with Maomao's dad?
@IzanaSolos, oh no!
Maomao wasn't particularly impressed by Jinshi's exceptional beauty, the handsome Li Bao was all the more uninteresting to her. There are other women who like a cute face and a muscular body.
Nov 18, 2023 11:10 AM
Sep 2015
Maomao deserved to be at her home, but her origin might involve royalty?

That guy that Mao bring to the brothel, he has such a nice arm muscle... the reason he rejects invitation from palace workers and want to go to brothel might hint that in this society, people see prostitutes as higher class than palace workers... interesting...
Nov 18, 2023 11:21 AM

Apr 2010
Well they still don't know who put the poison in the food but it seems they are on to something.
But Moamoa finally got a trip home which seems interesting but it's to soon to judge.
Seems she got a dept out of this tho which might not be a good thing.
Nov 18, 2023 11:42 AM

Mar 2021
Glad to see Maomao able to go back home to see her dad but he didn't seem all that bothered when he saw her again almost like he is hiding something
Nov 18, 2023 11:43 AM

Jul 2012
Interesting. Some mysterious things were brought up. The true meaning behind those treasured hairpins and there being more to Jinshi than what we know. And then that suspicious look on her dad's face. Is there something more to Maomao too, I wonder.
Nov 18, 2023 11:45 AM
May 2020
What do the hair pins mean?
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 AM

Apr 2023
Jinshi's face 😭 Poor guy..
Nov 18, 2023 11:50 AM

Mar 2023
You can tell social status by hairpin.
I think giving hairpin to other gender is like a pledge of marriage. Or at least was in the chinese tradition, but it was the woman giving their hairpin to the fiancé before marriage and having it returned after marriage
Nov 18, 2023 11:55 AM

Oct 2017
Maomao sure knows how to manipulate people. Good for that guy though, he got to meet one of the idolised courtesan. The look on Jinshi's face when he learned Maomao left lol. Gyokuyou sure didn't miss the chance to tease him. It's finally confirmed that he has high status which he hides, possibly the emperor's younger brother. Can't wait for Maomao to find out about the truth and look at her reaction. Also I had a feeling her father/mother might have something to do with the rear palace or the royal family and seems like it is the case given what her father said at the end there.
Nov 18, 2023 11:59 AM
Mar 2021
omg so good anime i loved
Nov 18, 2023 12:01 PM

Jul 2011
CSI Maomao.

How many episodes until Maomao have a proper conversation about the hairpins?

The proprietress must be pure muscle.
Nov 18, 2023 12:14 PM
Oct 2016
Maomao gets to visit home after almost a year. Using her conniving skills to trick Lihaku to take her home for a few days. Beforehand having to solve whom put that poison in the food bowl during the garden party. Gaoshun coming to Maomao after she's had time to rest, asking her who she thinks put the poison there. Some mystery person besides the obvious people whom touched the bowl must've done it. Maomao isn't even sure who the person that actually added the poison is. It was very sad hearing how Lady Lishu servant girls were trying to make fun of her during the garden party. She's so young comparatively and doesn't deserve that ridicule. Maomao hearing from Xialoan how to get temporary leave from the rear palace is someone vouchs for you. Having that man that was handing out hair pins Lihaku take her home for a bit. All it took was some nice invitations to the prestigious brothel that Maomao lived next to. Lihaku jumping at the chance of coruse he would take Maomao home for a few days if it meant that. Maomao going to see her dad again was sweet, I hope they can bond somewhat before she leaves
Nov 18, 2023 12:27 PM

Apr 2015
This series get better with each episode. And my expectations is always high.

I laughed when Maomao really talk about fingers print.

Also she finally manage to see her father and it seems another mystery about it was teased.

* If someone is curious / don't remember we actually already saw Pairin in the first episode. It was the big boba purple hair milf. She is like a big sister to Maomao.
ScarRufusNov 18, 2023 12:41 PM
Nov 18, 2023 12:28 PM

Jul 2022
well that was a very anticlimactic reunion
GREAT episode as always felt like 5mins man how can i wait a whole damn week IL NEED MROE ARIHGT NOGW
Nov 18, 2023 12:31 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to phantomfandom
Maomao deserved to be at her home, but her origin might involve royalty?

That guy that Mao bring to the brothel, he has such a nice arm muscle... the reason he rejects invitation from palace workers and want to go to brothel might hint that in this society, people see prostitutes as higher class than palace workers... interesting...
@phantomfandom nah. Middle and high consorts handmaidens are normally about equal status as royal officers or palace officials. It is just that Verdigris house "Three princesses" are the most elite courtesans in the capital so any straight guy would wish to visit one. And not for sex, mind you, sans the Pairin, who is just super horny they are more akin to high-ranking geishas and have other talents as a selling point.
Nov 18, 2023 12:32 PM
Oct 2021
loving the sense of mystery in this ep
Nov 18, 2023 12:35 PM
Dec 2021
just as last week's episode that felt like 5 minutes...
Nov 18, 2023 12:50 PM

Feb 2019
Another awesome episode. OLM haven’t missed yet. Seems like all the seasonals today are going by so quickly!

So we still don’t know who poisoned the bowl.. the mystery deepens.

Could tell from the very start of the episode when Maomao put her freckles on that she was missing home. I’m glad she ended up getting a chance to go back and see the brothel keeper and her dad. After being so abruptly kidnapped her dad took things surprisingly well lmao. “You were out for a while” 😂 like damn did you even notice?

It’s funny how no matter the age, men are men. All Maomao had to do was bribe buddy with the opportunity to meet the high ranked courtesans for him to let her go see her family. Down horrendously lol.

Idk the dad seems a little sus though. What does he mean with that line about fate at the end.. wonder if he has a connection to the palace. Speaking of connections, when are we ever get a proper explanation of the hairpins! And Jinshi seems like he’s got something he’s not letting on. Maybe royalty or something? Lots of mysteries and the episode pv for next week looks exciting
Marinate1016Nov 18, 2023 12:57 PM
Nov 18, 2023 1:07 PM
Oct 2023
Lihaku's introduction was great. His character is one of my favorites
Nov 18, 2023 1:10 PM

Mar 2007
Just how expensive are the high end courtesans? And to think Pairin won't leave him alone after seeing those muscles ... whoa, instead of work this one would be not work lol.
Nov 18, 2023 1:32 PM

Sep 2019
Reply to KatrinaLG
What do the hair pins mean?
@KatrinaLG Giving an hairpin to someone is kind of similar to proposing I guess.
Nov 18, 2023 1:58 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to Stormy_77
Just how expensive are the high end courtesans? And to think Pairin won't leave him alone after seeing those muscles ... whoa, instead of work this one would be not work lol.
@Stormy_77 Lihaku is a junior officer in Emperors guard and he said a night would cost like a year of his salary. So pretty expensive. And he is a strong guy, he can keep up with our resident nympho Pairin.
Nachtwandler_21Nov 18, 2023 2:48 PM
Nov 18, 2023 2:03 PM

Nov 2021
I hope Pairin gets the most out of that military official, I bet she hardly sees young muscular guys 💀

Nov 18, 2023 2:26 PM

Aug 2022
im so hyped for the next episode. Frieren and Maomao season cary
Nov 18, 2023 2:33 PM

Mar 2020
The poison mystery deepens, meanwhile Maomao makes a brief return to her hometown...

Quite a chill episode after the events of the garden party, but the mystery behind who poisoned the bowl still looms at large, and we'll probably get answers another time. The idea that Lishu was being bullied was a good one though. The hairpins certainly mean a bit more than what Maomao thinks they mean, and like I said before, it could be a sign of love, maybe even marriage? They definitely have something to do with social status as well, which is another good bit of world-building, something I have enjoyed a lot in this series so far. With the hairpins that Maomao has, she got to use them to leave the inner palace briefly to go home, and I have to admit, the reunion with her father felt a bit anticlimactic, since he didn't even look surprised. Very suspicious stuff there, I wonder what he's hiding...
Nov 18, 2023 2:38 PM
Oct 2020
She finally sees her dad again after 10 months. Now I wonder if I should say good for that guy? or feel bad that he's getting drained of both money and something else now for a long time.

Also fuck those ladies in waiting bullying Lishu.
Nov 18, 2023 2:53 PM

Jul 2017
A very chill episode as a whole, although stuff did happen still to make it a fairly interesting one even if not the most intense or dramatic. Mysteries surrounding the poisoning event with the finger tips on the bowl revealed is present, and we get to see Maomao cunningly use her hairpins she gained to visit home for a few days. The visit with her father was not the dramatic, touching reunion that a reunion between father and daughter after a long time sounds like on paper but it was nice seeing her get to tell her stories to him in a sort of relaxed manner for her. The father did give a suspicious feeling though for something towards the end for the cliffhanger so there is stuff to keep in mind for future episodes. Pacing was good here again, it's good seeing the show find its footing after the beginning couple episodes in that department. Have not had much issues with that over the past bunch of episodes so that is a good sign.
Nov 18, 2023 3:15 PM
Jun 2014
So short this episode, kind of meh
Nov 18, 2023 4:01 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
This was the first episode in the series that has felt a little dull to me. It did set up some plot points and Maomao was still great, of course. A mid Apothecary episode is still better than most series' good episodes though.
Nov 18, 2023 4:17 PM

Dec 2018
This show continues to be wonderful; It's really sad that concubines and brothels exist but I also understand it is a different period of time and culture. It always is interesting to see the weird comedy mixed in with very serious details. I almost passed this show up, but I'm glad I didn't. Also, I think freckles are cute :D
Nov 18, 2023 4:21 PM
Jan 2021
i loved it this anime is so good
Nov 18, 2023 4:32 PM

Mar 2020
Lihaku-kun will be having a wild night 👌💦💦
Zorosuke_Nov 18, 2023 5:13 PM
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Nov 18, 2023 4:35 PM

Mar 2021
Ooh the plot thickens... I'm thinking Maomao is a princess born of the rear palace but sent to the Redlight District to avoid political drama or sthg ^^
Nov 18, 2023 4:47 PM

Apr 2022
the conversation maomao had about the brothel bribe with lihaku was pretty fun, neat how you can know ranking just by looking at the quality of the hairpins alone and how resourceful it can be, and i like the old lady as well lol. pleasure district looks great just like every other place in this show, glad she's back home to meet with her folks and another great episode.
Nov 18, 2023 5:04 PM
Aug 2020
it's never enough I need more!
Nov 18, 2023 5:09 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to ApocalypSnow
Ooh the plot thickens... I'm thinking Maomao is a princess born of the rear palace but sent to the Redlight District to avoid political drama or sthg ^^
@ApocalypSnow I am really tempted to spoil it. But you'll find it in the second half of the series anyway.
Nov 18, 2023 5:11 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to StateofOhayo
This show continues to be wonderful; It's really sad that concubines and brothels exist but I also understand it is a different period of time and culture. It always is interesting to see the weird comedy mixed in with very serious details. I almost passed this show up, but I'm glad I didn't. Also, I think freckles are cute :D
@StateofOhayo do you understand that there are a lot of countries where sex work is legal and it is as normal job as any other one? Also, high-ranking courtesans here are more like geishas, they do not sell their body but their entertaining skills.
Nov 18, 2023 5:14 PM

Jan 2020
Wait i'm actually getting confused on the whole hairpin thing. The thing i know about it is like saying "you're mine". Is Xiaolan telling her it's a honeymoon but with a twist?
Nov 18, 2023 5:54 PM

Sep 2016
Rihaku won't be able to return to reality after meeting OPairin.
Nov 18, 2023 6:00 PM

Nov 2010
kuroneko99 said:
Though I thought the blue-haired consort would give MaoMao a hairpin with blue crystal, but it has a pink stone. What's that mineral?
It was revealed the stone was "rose quartz" in this episode. As the Lihua's character information page in MAL says she is "the consort of the Crystal Palace", the color would not be limited to blue.
Nov 18, 2023 6:03 PM
Jan 2016
Maomao is one of my favorite protagonists so far; able to read others yet she is a bit naïve in certain social settings even with the hairpins.

Questions I want to be answered:

What is up with Maomao's dad? He wasnt as surprised when she came back and told him what happened at the rear palace. Also the age difference between her and her father (might be wrong but could he be a grandfather than her father maybe?)

Is she connected to royalty or a secret love child?

What do the other hairpins mean? especially the necklace?
Nov 18, 2023 6:30 PM

Dec 2018
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@StateofOhayo do you understand that there are a lot of countries where sex work is legal and it is as normal job as any other one? Also, high-ranking courtesans here are more like geishas, they do not sell their body but their entertaining skills.
@Nachtwandler_21 Yes, I understand that but in this show they are described at least in the inner palace as harems for reproduction and sexual entertainment. In fact, if i remember correctly the entire reason the men are castrated is so they don't interfere with the emperors sexual proclivities.
Nov 18, 2023 6:36 PM
Mar 2015
Home again Home again Jiggity jog
Nov 18, 2023 7:07 PM
Jan 2022
Loving it! Can't wait to watch another episode
Nov 18, 2023 8:03 PM

Aug 2022
Maomao finally returned home, after several months.

But I felt strange after Maomao came home, I don't know.

Btw Jinshi had a cute reaction after hearing that Maomao was returning home.
Nov 18, 2023 8:22 PM

Dec 2022
I didn't expect the dad to be so chill. I was imagining he would jump and hug Maomao tightly, but I guess I'm wrong.

Huh, 'a twist of fate'? Interesting.

Nov 18, 2023 8:38 PM

Oct 2022
So the hair pin giving does have another meaning. Is it about the receiver being courted by the one that gives it to them?
Nov 18, 2023 8:43 PM

Jul 2017
Maomao's back to her freckled self, and has to hide her beauty, while Gaoshun does some work for her. Silverware with a soup to test for poison, Maomao's way to inspect the bowl through her experiments, it's to route out the culprit linked to Lady Lishu's supposed poisoning. Normally, this would be tended to the ladies-in-waiting, but since Lishu's attendants were doing something off-kilter to embarrass the concubine, it's a disgrace since her situation is quite the uniqueness being the Emperor's concubine. Though Jinshi has issues of his own with Gaoshun's reporting, Maomao hearing from Xiaolan that the hairpins are a way to escape from the rear palace, that provides a chance for her to do so.

As expected, Lihaku got an invitation, though that was a consolution hairpin that allowed her to go back to her family, having him vouch for her escape for her homecoming. And trying to win his favour through getting invitations to the brothel of the high-class "Three Princesses" of the Verdigris House, it's a lowbrow move that Lihaku could not refuse, that Jinshi would be sad that he'd learn that Maomao already left the Jade Pavilion, and that reaction is hilarious. That said, Lihaku joining Maomao on her 3-day homecoming back to the brothel house, the old madam certainly was flabbergasted at her return. The turn into poverty land for Maomao to see her father, it certainly was stories shared...

...but a twist of fate? What does Maomao's father have his business with the rear palace?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» So simple question...

ANIk_003 - Yesterday

20 by Phloup »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

262 by ksipe »»
May 30, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Softhenic03 - Dec 16, 2023

166 by Noeiro »»
May 29, 5:03 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

204 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

209 by wumuti »»
May 26, 7:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.