Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 21, 2023 9:35 AM

Jul 2017
The adaptation of novelist Natsu Hyuga's work, this 3-episode premiere is the final show to be showcased of the Fall season.

Ryokuoushoku Shakai's OP is gorgeous while a fine song, while AiNA THE END's ED is good.

Within the rich Chinese cultural Imperial palace walls, lays Maomao, a servant who is more interested in her apocathery drug creations after her surprise kidnapping 3 months in, serving the concubines of low-ranking levels, though Maomao herself by her stature, doesn't fit the bill, but her personality is rather opaque for hilarious moments. The problem within the palace: no matter how many heirs the prince has through his concubines, they all suffer from premature death, so much that it becomes a rumor of "curses" that are nothing more than just normal ailments to Maomao, like stomachache and nausea. So much that the concbuines started their infighting, and with the physican not able to understand, only one person will, who takes a captivate look at her.

Things in the Imperial palace aren't working out, leading to more premature deaths, though one eunuch serving Concubine Gyokuyou noticed a flower left by someone that could unriddle the curse. Maomao getting summoned to the Matron of the Serving Woman, it typically is bad news, though rear palace manager-cum-eunuch Jinshi derives a riddle that singles Maomao out since she is literate. Maomao would never admit her "high" status to Jinshi, though he brings her to Gyokuyou whom with that hint, saved newborn Prince Lingli's life. How Maomao got the message across. Jinshi was able to deduce, and she proceeded to lay down the truth about the face powder laden with poison, as much as Maomao had seen people being killed for beauty. For that, Maomao serving as Gyokuyou's lady-in-waiting, that's quite the promotion that she's not willing to accept as reality.

Good start, the anime is gorgeous, as expected of OLM with Toho Animation's upgrade, and Aoi Yuuki DEFINITELY fits Maomao's character to the T.
KANLen09Nov 14, 2023 1:22 AM

Dec 2021
The anime with a title that, for once, I find easier to pronounce in Japanese than in English, has finally arrived! And it's off to a promising beginning too.

Operating a pharmacy in the flower district, Maomao was tricked by human traffickers and sold into the palace harem to work as a maid. One day, she hears a rumor that the consecutive deaths of the emperor's sons are due to a "curse." Maomao, deducing the true nature of the curse, goes to the palace where the empresses reside and overhears the voices of two senior empresses arguing. With a strong curiosity and thirst for knowledge, Maomao's spirits soar at the mention of "medicine" and "poison," and she begins to take action and discover a cure! This captures the attention of Jinshi, an attractive court official who advances her position. As a result, she's gaining renown for unraveling medical enigmas.

Wow, I found that quite actually quite interesting. It's not often you come across a female lead who's both knowledgeable and endearing. I also think she's incredibly charming. I'm eagerly looking forward to witnessing more of her "misadventures." The medical mystery element always captivates me, so this anime is right up my alley. It was recommended to me, and I'm pleased I decided to give it a shot. Maomao is perceptive and wisely cautious. She grasped the harsh realities of her environment at a young age. Here's to hoping her journey unfolds positively. On another note Ryokuoushoku Shakai, after a long 2 year break are back and holy shit do they go in. This OP is a banger indeed. The visuals are insane as well. AiNA THE END's ED is also phoenomal.

So glad all 3 episodes come out today. Onto the next!

May 2020
One of the most anticipated series this season, and I must say that opening song and introduction right off the bat in the words of Maomao was just the perfect way to set things up.

Now she might have gotten abducted and forced to work in the emperor's harem, but to be honest she doesn't seem much displeased lol. Atleast the way she phrases it, but hey she still thinks of her old man wellbeing. Anyways, to the point, the series of infant dying one after another and the outrage in palace, but didn't take much for Maomao to figure the root cause. That being face powder, and she writing anonymously to princess Gyokuyou, did save her own child but hey instead gotten Jinshi's attention, and in attempt to sniff out the person behind this anonymous letter, that thing with the "let's see who could read" was a smart way lol.

Maomao's a personal attendant now, and that's already a huge jump in the status.

Softhenic03Oct 21, 2023 9:42 AM
Oct 21, 2023 9:41 AM

Jan 2018
MAOMAO IS FINALLY HERE. I already love the adaptation sm. It's so great to see Maomao and Jinshi animated. Aoi Yuuki is so great as Maomao. The chibi forms were really cute. The OP looked beautiful. Definitely one of the shows I'm looking forward to the most. One episode down. Two more to go.
ARK-13Oct 21, 2023 9:45 AM
Oct 21, 2023 10:33 AM
Mar 2022
Off to a really good start… the colors, visuals and chibis are all amazing. Glad to see her accept her circumstances and instead look forward to a way out. She is quick witted and perceptive. Her journey begins.
Oct 21, 2023 11:55 AM

Apr 2010
It's finally here it was the longest wait of the season but it was worth the wait.
Moamoa being as pessimistic as she could possibly be, well it does look like things are improving for her but she doesn't seem to realise it yet.
Than again being forced to work somewhere against your will is always a good reason to be pessimistic.
Oct 21, 2023 12:06 PM
May 2021
Interesting start, I know nothing about this anime just seen the trailer a while ago & decided I will check out this anime this season seems interesting still.
Oct 21, 2023 12:20 PM

Oct 2017
I've been looking forward to this so much, glad it's finally here. I liked the episode quite a lot. Quite interesting stuff and unique too. Animation was beautiful and the episode looked great most of the times. Character designs specially stood out even more. The concubines or brothel women all looked beautiful. Jinshi even though a man looks great too, Maomao even mistook him for a woman. As for the story, it's quite interesting. Though I'm not sure in what direction the story will go. Will it be about solving cases with medicine and stuff?Guess we'll find out. Also this reminds me a bit off Raven of the inner palace from a few seasons ago. Anyway good start and looking forward to more.
Oct 21, 2023 12:22 PM
Sep 2015
One of the most interesting thing about skin powder is that it can still kills you, even in today's technology. And even with all the lawsuits about it, the big company name J is still selling it. Honestly I consider powder the most dangerous product among the product that people trust to use with their babies.
Oct 21, 2023 12:24 PM

Jul 2012
It really is a great adaptation so far. I like the OP, but I love the ED. I'm excited to hear the full OST by the amazing lineup of Okehazama Alisa, Kousaki Satoru and Kevin Penkin.
Oct 21, 2023 12:36 PM
Aug 2020
the first episode was good and interesting...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Oct 21, 2023 12:58 PM
Feb 2019
WHY THE FUCK THIS ANIME HAVE A LOT OF 1 RATING?!!!!! WHEN THE ANIME JUST STARTED?!!!!
Oct 21, 2023 1:05 PM

Sep 2014
The OP is really beautiful and the adaptation was really faithful to the LN.

A good start!
Oct 21, 2023 1:08 PM

Sep 2019
Pretty interesting premise, should be a good watch.
Oct 21, 2023 2:13 PM

Jul 2020
It was really weird how Maomao just accepted being kidnapped and went about it with the most indifferent attitude.
Intriguing start though, should be interesting
Oct 21, 2023 2:40 PM

Jul 2017
Start was decent. The visuals looked a bit weak at times yet really good for the most part in others, with the backgrounds and settings being full of life standing out to me. Not close to the best background art I've seen but does enough of a job to work with the setting. Will admit that the KVs for this series are definitely much better than the animation has presented from this first episode. The plot towards the end did become more interesting but the flow felt really fast for a premiere with pretty weak transitions of time placed throughout, making it feel somewhat awkward to watch at times despite interesting elements definitely being present. Maomao's a decent lead and is witty enough after the kidnapping portion, although should be decent enough of a contrast to the others in the palace to get better as the series progresses (especially with how different her personality is compared to some of the others in this series with much higher positions and upbringings in comparison, she stands out like a sore thumb). Her dynamic with Jinshi has potential to be interesting as contrasting figures, especially given how much she seems to be genuinely annoyed with him for the time being than act like a generic love interest. Music was pretty great too, probably my highlight from this episode. Overall, not my favorite premiere of this season but not bad whatsoever either. Potential is there. Pacing just needs to flow a lot better.
animejasOct 22, 2023 1:31 PM
Oct 21, 2023 2:44 PM

Feb 2021
First episode starts very similar to the light novel, tho the anime gave more time to Maomao's life before she got kidnapped
Oct 21, 2023 3:00 PM

Mar 2018
Reply to Meiza
WHY THE FUCK THIS ANIME HAVE A LOT OF 1 RATING?!!!!! WHEN THE ANIME JUST STARTED?!!!!
@Meiza it was just 5 random haters bombing it early, the % is gonna go down as normal people start watching.
Oct 21, 2023 3:03 PM

Apr 2011
Reply to Inexplicable
It was really weird how Maomao just accepted being kidnapped and went about it with the most indifferent attitude.
Intriguing start though, should be interesting
@Inexplicable Maomao is weirdo ... and also super pragmatic. There is no point cry over spilt milk...
Oct 21, 2023 3:14 PM
Nov 2021
Great first ep1. It was unexpected good. Need to see more@
Oct 21, 2023 3:30 PM

Mar 2017
Episode 1 definitely delivered. Really am liking the OP song, Aoi Yuuki as Maomao was a great casting choice as she did a wonderful job voicing her. Also am liking how this show looks: it's really pleasing to look at and the music helps too with the atmosphere the show's going with.
Oct 21, 2023 3:33 PM

Sep 2023
Does someone know why do these servants get paid? I guess they can't leave the palace anyway, so where are they supposed to spend money?
Oct 21, 2023 3:58 PM

Sep 2009
Reply to LessThanAnimeFan
Does someone know why do these servants get paid? I guess they can't leave the palace anyway, so where are they supposed to spend money?
@LessThanAnimeFan they are getting paid as it is an official job. Most of the time poor peasant families sale their daughters to the palace. Xiaolan (MaoMaos hyperactive friend) is one of them. The payment mostly goes back to the families. They also have some opportunities to spend money as will be shown later.

This is the main reason MaoMao hated getting a better position, most of her pay would go to kidnappers. It is explained in the books that kidnapping girls for servitude is currently illegal but still happens because of lack of manpower and some officials being easy to bribe (they forge the documents so kinappers are listed as the victims guardians). Thankfully, this situation was resolved.
Nachtwandler_21Oct 21, 2023 4:08 PM
Oct 21, 2023 4:01 PM

Sep 2023
Reply to Nachtwandler_21
@LessThanAnimeFan they are getting paid as it is an official job. Most of the time poor peasant families sale their daughters to the palace. Xiaolan (MaoMaos hyperactive friend) is one of them. The payment mostly goes back to the families. They also have some opportunities to spend money as will be shown later.

This is the main reason MaoMao hated getting a better position, most of her pay would go to kidnappers. It is explained in the books that kidnapping girls for servitude is currently illegal but still happens because of lack of manpower and some officials being easy to bribe (they forge the documents so kinappers are listed as the victims guardians). Thankfully, this situation was resolved.
@Nachtwandler_21 thanks
Oct 21, 2023 4:13 PM
Sep 2020
I like it so far!

It is actually better than I expected so that's a pleasant surprise ^^. Excited to see how the rest of the season unfolds ! ๊’ฐแข. .แข๊’ฑโ‚ŠหšโŠน๐“ˆ’ใ…คื‚ใ…ค๐™š เฃช ๐“ˆ’ใ…คื‚ใ…ค โญ’
Oct 21, 2023 4:15 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Vey nice first episode, the direction and animation seem pretty decent. Background music is lovely too, Kevin Penkin doesn't disappoint. I also want to send appreciation to the studio for making MaoMao wear the same attire as other palace ladies, a niche detail that was mistaken in the Manga.

Oct 21, 2023 4:22 PM
Oct 2020
Best show ever made no contest
this opinion has been certified based and correct
Oct 21, 2023 4:24 PM
Aug 2020
The fun ride started. I think it is my first time watching an anime with Chinese setting.
Oct 21, 2023 5:49 PM

Apr 2015
This was unexpected good. Makes me remember a lot Raven Of The Inner Palace, i missed that show. Maomao is a fun character to watch.

Also the OP is a banger.

I wonder if the male lead really don't have the D.
Oct 21, 2023 5:59 PM

Apr 2022
been looking forward to this as a fan of the manga and a pretty solid start. maomao the poison fanatic is here and here and with a massive promotion under gyokuyo already. it'll take me some getting used to from rifa to lihua and from shao ran to xiaolan, although i'm sure the latter are the accurate names. the OP is a banger and ED is nice too. the ost really brings out the chinese ambience and visuals look good too. glad this has 3 episodes released at once because it has quite a late start for a 24-episode show but hope the rest of this adaptation goes well.
Oct 21, 2023 6:03 PM

Apr 2020
So good as expected. Fantastic adaptation. Solid animation, good music, and Aoi Yuuki as a solo protagonist never disappoints.
Oct 21, 2023 6:38 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to ryzxgum
been looking forward to this as a fan of the manga and a pretty solid start. maomao the poison fanatic is here and here and with a massive promotion under gyokuyo already. it'll take me some getting used to from rifa to lihua and from shao ran to xiaolan, although i'm sure the latter are the accurate names. the OP is a banger and ED is nice too. the ost really brings out the chinese ambience and visuals look good too. glad this has 3 episodes released at once because it has quite a late start for a 24-episode show but hope the rest of this adaptation goes well.
@ryzxgum I read the manga as well and it's always been Lihua and Xiaolan for me.... I guess it must be because I read the volumes published by Square Enix. But yh really solid episode. They really nailed Mao Mao's wanting to live a stress-free life attitude and how it conflicts with her "poison fanatic" attitude lol.

"๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š."- ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Oct 21, 2023 7:27 PM

Nov 2010
  • Though the handsome man's charm didn't work on MaoMao, the silvervine asking the prescription of love potion worked pretty well on her.
    (mao means cat, and repeating a name in Chinese works like '-chan' in Japanese or adds endearment, I heard.)
  • The voice of the protagonist kind of lacks girlish tone.
  • The narrator is a big name of the past.
  • Incidentally, I prefer this version of the comics to this version.
kuroneko99Oct 22, 2023 1:04 AM
Oct 21, 2023 8:03 PM
Mar 2019
What an excellent first episode. Worth the wait. Added to watch list.
Oct 21, 2023 8:53 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah Aoi Yuuki suits well voicing Mao, monologue hits right there. I like the opening song better than the ed. Ed isn't doing the best at my hearing, need to take more than one time to match up my interest.

So far the story already intriguing, and plot quite easy to digest as a casual watcher like me, by how Mao already involved by the problem solving situation, that big. Handsome eunuch unexpectedly also a big brain person too by figuring out Mao that 'fast'. Wonder how he decided to be eunuch? Mao was legit asking a good question there, which may or may not be answered pretty soon regarding his background.

All in all, i can see this to be quite sol-ish for the whole season. But i expect to get a grand picture of the overarching plot about the whole situation, as an apothecary, and her diary...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 21, 2023 9:04 PM

Oct 2022
Maomao is just too precious. Love her personality, sorry little one, no frog in the well for you.
Oct 21, 2023 9:27 PM

Dec 2022
Okay I was waiting for this cuz ppl were hyping it up, the first ep is pretty decent I hope it is as good as I thought it would be.
Oct 21, 2023 9:40 PM
Jul 2016
I love how the opening only shows MaoMao for the majority of it. Truly practicing and celebrating MAOMAO SUPREMACY! ๐Ÿพ
Oct 21, 2023 9:45 PM

Jun 2023
It was definitely worth the wait.
Oct 21, 2023 10:19 PM

Oct 2022
I love how chill she is even after getting kidnapped lmao.

Oct 21, 2023 10:35 PM

Jun 2021
Last but definitely not the least that I added to my watchlist this season. Airing late in October but we got 3 episodes. Worth it. I've been wanting to read the manga, but I guess I'll wait for the remaining 21 episodes to air first. Loved it so far.
Oct 21, 2023 10:45 PM

Dec 2022
Maomao certainly got personality for days, she's such a riot.
Oct 21, 2023 11:16 PM

Dec 2020
That was definitely one of the best starts of this season i really love the sympathy between the main characters maomao.
The story abd the vibe is really good and interesting.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sใ‚ท

Oct 22, 2023 12:18 AM

Apr 2023
I knew before this anime even aired that it is set in Ancient China or in a fantasy land inspired by China (although I'm leaning more towards the former)

I had a feeling this was gonna be your typical harem or romance anime but I was very wrong. The first episode got me into this series, it's pretty good.

The art style is beautiful, the opening is beautiful as well, the ending is good. Though I wonder what will happen to Maomao's old man.
If I had to choose between One Piece and a girlfriend...I think I'll go with One Piece
Oct 22, 2023 12:32 AM

Oct 2022
I have trouble understanding how the kidnapping works. She is kidnapped and sold to the palace. Do the kidnappers work for the palace?  If not, then why would they want kidnapped girls, rather than just hire them?
UndefeatedBahamut
Oct 22, 2023 12:37 AM
Aug 2022
i seriously love this๐Ÿ˜ป. gonna watch it till the very end.
Oct 22, 2023 12:53 AM

May 2015
First and only anime in this season that I actually liked. What a beautiful pair of eyes this girl has!

Though it wasn't spelled out but the white face powder most likely contained lead, which caused the poisening.
IshitatesoOct 22, 2023 1:21 AM
Oct 22, 2023 1:00 AM
Oct 2021
Kidnapping must be the easiest job in the world if you don't even have to tie their mouths seeing as Maomao doesn't try screaming while they pass by many people. "Oh just got kidnapped who cares".
Oct 22, 2023 1:19 AM

Oct 2020
Maomao you impressed the Royal Court.
Oct 22, 2023 1:48 AM

Aug 2022
LETS GOOOOO PEAKKK!!!!!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

IzanaSolos - Nov 4, 2023

158 by Anshika_Sh »»
Jun 10, 10:36 AM

» What year does apothecary diary takes place?

hercules28 - Apr 12

5 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:38 AM

» Fun fact about Maomao

Fukoku - Oct 22, 2023

11 by bryanyuchen »»
Jun 9, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6

106 by Mattinator95 »»
Jun 8, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 17

246 by yalinarul »»
Jun 6, 9:40 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.