Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2022 2:52 AM
Nov 2020
I used to think if I ever get a chance to watch OPM, I would definitely love it.. Every anime fan undoubtedly say OPM is one of the best anime. But after finally watching the season 1, I really think the plot is not that great, it's just above average tbh.
Don't get me wrong I still loved the OP, Animation, OST everything was god tier but the story felt just like a underrated overpowered MC downplayed by everyone. There's no depth in the villains also. Every hero just appeared without any background information. I'm really disappointed. Perhaps my expectations from this show was too big.
What do you think? Did I miss something.?
PS.- I was thinking of continuing OPM in Shonen Jump manga app after S1, later I will watch S2 anime for visuals. How's the story in manga.? (If anyone read, short review pls)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 18, 2022 3:10 AM
Jun 2021
Sandro8604 said:
I used to think if I ever get a chance to watch OPM, I would definitely love it.. Every anime fan undoubtedly say OPM is one of the best anime. But after finally watching the season 1, I really think the plot is not that great, it's just above average tbh.
Don't get me wrong I still loved the OP, Animation, OST everything was god tier but the story felt just like a underrated overpowered MC downplayed by everyone. There's no depth in the villains also. Every hero just appeared without any background information. I'm really disappointed. Perhaps my expectations from this show was too big.
PS.- I was thinking of continuing OPM in Shonen Jump manga app after S1, later I will watch S2 anime for visuals. How's the story in manga.? (If anyone read, short review pls)
season one is basically good for cool looking fights and okay comedy with the story only being decent in the last 2 or 3 eps. The manga gets alot better And season two of the anime has better story but worse animation so don’t watch it just read the manga
Jan 18, 2022 3:12 AM

Jan 2021
I agree that s1 doesn't have much of a story but I think it is mostly liked because of the world building and characters. Although during s2 there is a build up to a story with the main villain garou.
Jan 18, 2022 3:14 AM

Feb 2020
Story of opm is creating as scenarios where the comedy clicks. I think it did pretty good at that.plus there was not just comedy but world building and character development is there too.

Its really weird when people think plot is average when its a comical plot
AdampkJan 18, 2022 3:18 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 18, 2022 3:15 AM
Jul 2020
Sandro8604 said:
well its really a comedy at heart so the story isn't really that important
If we kill all our enemies, will we finally be free?
Jan 18, 2022 3:26 AM
Apr 2021
Sandro8604 said:

This anime, mainly season 1, is made as a parody on shounen (look it up). Therefore the average plot and non-existent character development is on purpose. If you don’t enjoy this or find it funny, that’s totally fine. After season 1 it becomes a little more of an actual serious story. It will still be comedy though, so don’t expect intricate plot-lines.
Jan 18, 2022 3:26 AM
Jan 2021
Lol nobody says opm is best anime.
It's enjoyable and fun but I have never heard anyone saying it's best anime.
It's just that many less people hate it compared to other famous anime.
And it ranks 102 in Mal.
Jan 18, 2022 3:28 AM

Jan 2021
Its more of a comedy series. Its your fault for expecting some deep writing from it.

Also, yes. Manga is genuinely good with current arc being a banger.
Jan 18, 2022 3:30 AM

Aug 2020
Instead of watching season 2 I'd just reccomend to pick up the manga from around chapter 49.
Season 2 doesn't really do that great of a job in adapting the manga but I can guarantee the story and characters get much better after season 1.
Jan 18, 2022 3:33 AM

Mar 2011
It's a comedy series. You're thinking about it too hard, bro. It's literally about a character that you know will win every fight without question.
Jan 18, 2022 3:58 AM

May 2021
Sandro8604 said:
Every anime fan undoubtedly say OPM is one of the best anime.
are you sure about that? Because it's not
Jan 18, 2022 4:12 AM

Oct 2021
I'm pretty sure this is just ur problem not seeing parody & comedy genre in it.
Jan 18, 2022 4:19 AM

Jun 2016
It never seemed that the plot was a priority but that's fine. The other aspects were executed well.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 18, 2022 4:38 AM
May 2021
One punch man anime is known for comedy and fight( good animation too) not for story because it is parody anime.
Jan 18, 2022 4:43 AM
Jul 2018
Well it's kind of a parody anime so the story is not supposed to be super important
One thing is that saitama is an MC at the end of an anime so he isn't supposed to grow
It's just good at creating interesting mini stories with other heroes
Jan 18, 2022 5:10 AM
Jul 2021
Opm is literally a gag series...it's like expecting a slice of life series to have over the top action scenes๐Ÿ’€
Jan 18, 2022 6:02 AM

Jul 2017
Sandro8604 said:

Every thing you complain about are cleared in season 2 onwards
Thou I am not a fan of it
Jan 18, 2022 6:18 AM
Jan 2021
It’s comedy, don’t rag on it because of personal preference
Jan 18, 2022 6:29 AM

Jun 2020
Sandro8604 said:
It gets pretty generic later on. Honestly, it doesn't even feel like a comedy. Just a typical heroes vs. villains story where interesting characters are not given screen time.
Jan 18, 2022 6:39 AM
Mar 2021
That's what is great - you don't know what's coming and when it does, it is believable because of the extensive world building; mainly a character driven story at the beginning; later on it starts to develop a story to serve a purpose in the grand scheme of things
Jan 18, 2022 6:52 AM
Jun 2021
I would say the show is driven by the comedy and ridiculousness, than the actual plot. Its the type of show where u shut off the brain and just watch some funny and cool action scenes.
Jan 18, 2022 6:52 AM
Jun 2020
Obviously it was just Saitama going around one punching people but from what I've heard the story gets really good later
Jan 18, 2022 7:42 AM
May 2021
It's a parody so it's understandable
Jan 18, 2022 7:47 AM
Feb 2021
One punch man isnt watched for the story
Jan 18, 2022 7:50 AM

Jul 2020
Every hero just appeared without any background information. I'm really disappointed. Perhaps my expectations from this show was too big.

If that's your only problem, then don't worry. Other Heroes get attention in Season 2.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jan 18, 2022 7:51 AM

Apr 2021
Watching One Punch Man for the story is like watching FLCL for the fanservice, yes, it's there, but it shouldn't be your primary reason for watching. You are supposed to be watching both because they're fun, sure not everyone will agree on this but that's the general consensus as far as I can tell.
We'Ve StEpPeD iNtO a WaR wItH tHe CaBaL oN mArS
Jan 18, 2022 7:53 AM

Sep 2021
I mean OPM is just a parody tbh. Its not supposed to be deep or story focused.
Jan 18, 2022 7:54 AM
May 2021
Who cares? The plot isn't supposed to be the central point of the series. It's a cool show with dope fights, iconic characters and great animation. If you're looking for plot, go watch aot or fmab.
Jan 18, 2022 9:22 AM
Mar 2020
It’s a lighthearted comedy battle shounen with a good message. That’s what it offers. Whether you like it or not, it’s up to you.

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jan 18, 2022 9:49 AM

Apr 2021
Ah yes th brilliant one who searches for the plot in a parody anime
Jan 18, 2022 9:58 AM

Jan 2009
its rule of cool and comedy mostly bro
Jan 18, 2022 10:28 AM
Jul 2021
So? S1 of opm isn't really story based and I don't think anyone would say it had a good one, the comedy and action is what makes it good
OmarS_12Jun 6, 2022 5:20 AM
Jan 18, 2022 11:49 AM
Nov 2021
Gabbar101 said:
Lol nobody says opm is best anime.
It's enjoyable and fun but I have never heard anyone saying it's best anime.
It's just that many less people hate it compared to other famous anime.
And it ranks 102 in Mal.
I will sayy teacher thinks it's the best show he's ever seen. That doesn't mean much though because it's the only anime he has seen and most American shows just have a mid plot with a small sub plot to make you want to keep watching.
Jan 18, 2022 11:59 AM

Dec 2020
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA………………………… -_-

ehem… here you go… just for you ^~^
No one understand Saitama
I'll let this do all the talking

yare yare daze, I'll always stand by that statement that everyone doesn't understand Saitama. smh

Erebus_AkeldamaJan 18, 2022 12:03 PM

Jan 18, 2022 12:01 PM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
What do you expect? It is not really a story driven anime.
Things that make OPM great are action, rule of cool, comedy, awesome characters and deconstruction and overall parody of shonen tropes.
โค Incessant Rain โค

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Jan 18, 2022 12:02 PM

Jul 2021
understood have a great day ^~^

Jan 18, 2022 12:02 PM

Jul 2021
Erebus_Akeldama said:

yare yare daze, I'll always stand by that statement that everyone doesn't understand Saitama. smh

I was waiting for your reply lmao

Jan 18, 2022 12:03 PM

Dec 2020
_spoon_ said:
Erebus_Akeldama said:

I was waiting for your reply lmao

It was like this thread was meant for me xD

Jan 18, 2022 12:21 PM
May 2021
Ikr, I thought OPM was average. And I watched both seasons. It's not an anime I would recommend to my freinds lol. Again, not bad but not good.
Jan 18, 2022 12:36 PM

Jun 2021
Yeah I mean not many people would say it’s a masterpiece or anything it’s just a good show
Jan 18, 2022 2:08 PM

Dec 2021
Sandro8604 said:
It didnt need to have an elaborated plot tbh. It was a comedy with amazing fights yk, but it wasnt an anime that needed a plot thats was really thought and complicated. Still, s2 isnt that great with that animation, but the manga is incredible, I really love reading it until the last chapter uploaded. It may have less comedy but in terms of fights is just amazing
Jan 18, 2022 2:53 PM
Oct 2017
Your expectations werent big, your expectations were just stright up wrong

The story is just a non-serious funny one, no depth other than saitama being so powerful that hes bored, it shows that a life without any goals to work towards is just boring and unfulfilling

But other than that its just funny jokes, fun fights and fun characters, its not some grand storyline and not many people say its one of the greatest animes
Jan 18, 2022 4:16 PM
Jul 2021
Conclusion: opinions are sometimes straight up incorrect eh?
Jan 18, 2022 10:14 PM

Jan 2020
I think that's fair. However, I still found it to be very enjoyable

Jan 19, 2022 12:00 AM
Apr 2020
Sandro8604 said:

Dude you missed the entire fucking point of the show. It’s a deconstruction of the superhero genre as a whole. A lot of what you pointed out was completely intentional but the writer to subvert the typical tropes of the genre.
Jan 19, 2022 12:00 AM
Apr 2020
Sandro8604 said:

Dude you missed the entire fucking point of the show. It’s a deconstruction of the superhero genre as a whole. A lot of what you pointed out was completely intentional but the writer to subvert the typical tropes of the genre.
Jan 19, 2022 1:00 AM
Apr 2021
I agree, s1 story isn't upto the mark, but s2 story is awesome, but people hate it coz saitama had less screentime, but it isn't studio's fault, it's a web manga adaptation, not something og, and people are bragging for s3, but they'll get even more disappointed coz saitama will get even lesser screentime compared to s2 people don't want story, only saitama actioning and one punching villains.
Jan 19, 2022 6:17 AM
Dec 2020
Honestly i had the same experience with opm. Suuuper over-rated. The only reason that s2 was better than s1 was because saitama didn't have nearly as much screen time. Overlord still got my vote for best "overpowered mc" themed anime
Jan 19, 2022 8:07 AM
Feb 2018
You made the mistake of taking it seriously.

This show doesn't even take itself seriously, there is a villain with some depth in the second season.

But this is a casual, have fun and laugh kinda show, it ain't that deep bro, and it ain't supposed to be.

If you want an actually good story, watch Mob Psycho 100, it's one of my favorite anime of all time.
Jan 19, 2022 8:26 AM
Jun 2021
Are there really people who think opm has a good story? Lmao
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » should one punch man be called battle seinen?

deg - May 16

24 by phantom346 »»
May 22, 12:46 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

338 by FedeMetal »»
May 20, 6:30 PM

» serious question

z0idberger - May 5

45 by RickyHunt »»
May 20, 8:52 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

987 by RGreatDanton »»
May 13, 3:04 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

792 by jacjacqjac »»
May 12, 1:32 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.