Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 13, 2020 12:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh yes, having a gathering to honor the previous generation is is an important occasion. This is especially true for Shikaku's case ad the current generation. Shikamaru also knows how important his father was during the Fourth Shinobi War. By looking at his kid, I think Shikamaru also looks forward ahead to the future as the current generation shall surpass the previous.

Shikamaru's dad really was a genius imo.
Dec 13, 2020 1:29 AM
May 2018
This ep was pretty decent and a little emotional and next episode is with the kara memebers
Dec 13, 2020 1:57 AM

Jul 2015
Totally forgot Ao was also at the headquarters in the war, really thought he just lived a peaceful life in the Land of water. Bit emotional to see Ao removing the last shreds of doubt for Shikamaru and Ino on their dads plan, but got a bad feeling on Ao because of that last scene.

Dec 13, 2020 2:01 AM
Oct 2012
As someone who have read the manga alrdy, this ep potrays what-is-to-come so damn nicely. Cant wait to see how the main arc will be animated
Dec 13, 2020 2:23 AM

Jun 2014
I definitely felt emotional seeing these recaps of the war, especially when Ao told Shikamaru and Ino about their fathers' final moments. Nice start to the Ao arc so far.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 13, 2020 3:01 AM
Apr 2019
Great episode we must be getting close to a new op soon right?
Dec 13, 2020 4:03 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Quite a touching episode.
Dec 13, 2020 4:12 AM

Jul 2017
A great eps that gave us the side of the war we usually don't really think of.
Nara Shikaku was one of my favorite chara in the main series, his calmness smartness and vision is almost rivaled by none. Dying right after giving everything he can for everyone and giving his honest support to his son was a well-crafted end for such great character.
Dec 13, 2020 4:48 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Remembrance day at Konohagakure. Its really brought back the memories of the war, which was led into a certain emotional scene for me. Such a shame Ao did some lies there, and everyone just believed on it. Well, its actually kinda vagued, and i just felt bad with their zero knowledge, especially to Mugino that looked so innocently knew nothing. I wonder what kind of reaction they had when knewing the truth after a certain part at the future. However, yeah, its the beginning of the new era. Shikamaru and the rest of the old generation must be prepared themself to face the same situations. Which forced them to did the same thing, like their parents had, in the past. Okay. Its sad. I must stop it to be like that, because, i don't really wanted them to death xd.

Well, the next one must be really entertaining. The introduction of another Kara's member, including Amado, and his masterpiece. Then, the real death for Victor. Lol. Lets see....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 13, 2020 4:54 AM

Oct 2017
This was pretty emotional, the flashbacks and Shikmaru and Ino's conversation made me sad.
Dec 13, 2020 5:30 AM
Dec 2020
I didn't like that Katasuke guy this much before watching this very episode. Also it's pretty rare seeing Shikamaru in such emotional state. It felt quite good to watch the flashback part where we could see what happened just before that Bijuu bomb hit the HQ. Seeing Ao catching that leaf made it seem like he is still a shinobi.
Dec 13, 2020 5:34 AM

Feb 2013
That ending was a bit scary, I hope he isn't evil now.
Dec 13, 2020 6:43 AM
Dec 2020
A great emotional episode! And finally let the KARA ARC BEGIN !
Dec 13, 2020 9:57 AM

Feb 2019
This was a really beautiful and emotional episode. Boruto’s at its best when it does episodes like these. It’s crazy to think we’ve grown up with Shikamaru and Ino and now they’re raising another generation. That scene with Shikamaru and Shikadai at the end really drove that home. “I wonder if he’s learning anything from me”

Next episode preview tho, I’m so hype, we getting Delta animated finally 🤤 Kara arc is finally here.
Dec 13, 2020 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Oh yes, having a gathering to honor the previous generation is is an important occasion. This is especially true for Shikaku's case ad the current generation. Shikamaru also knows how important his father was during the Fourth Shinobi War. By looking at his kid, I think Shikamaru also looks forward ahead to the future as the current generation shall surpass the previous.

I actually thought the anime had more plans for Shikamaru since he was the first of the kids to become a chunin. He is now Naruto's support as Hokage.

The Shikaku generation will live on with Shikamaru and Shikadai. Ino-Shika-Cho is a great team with a lot of friendship scenes.
Dec 13, 2020 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
Rest in peace Neji, still dearly missed as always.
Dec 13, 2020 5:47 PM

Mar 2020
A good episode, the memories of the war were touching and it is not every day that Shikamaru is so moved.
"I don't want to achieve anything, I just think that the person who has the greatest freedom in the ocean is the king of pirates." - Monkey D. Luffy.
"There is no one better than me when it comes to ending the expectations of others." - Natsuki Subaru
Dec 14, 2020 3:49 AM

Apr 2012
Yes the Kara arc is really close now, FINALLY! I liked this episode, a bit of nostalgia is always good.
Dec 14, 2020 9:56 AM
Oct 2019
Reminiscing episode...

Here we go Ao Arc begins

We got some flashback and learn how he survived that bijuu attack...

They really mute what Shikaku said... Now I'm wondering if Ao told the truth to Shikamaru or not...

The ending scene with Ao catching leaf, such a beautiful foreshadowing...
Dec 14, 2020 10:42 AM

Nov 2018
BarelyCreative said:

Why isn't Hinata included in ninja stuff anymore?
Dec 14, 2020 3:30 PM
Jul 2018
BenRyan said:
BarelyCreative said:

That is such a good question... I guess the author wanted to go with the responsibilities of maintaining a family with her as she gives up her previous ambitions/aspirations in the process, which usually happens to people in real life. But yeah it kinda sucks and as a Byakugan user it's lowkey a waste. :/
Dec 15, 2020 2:33 AM
Nov 2018
I liked how they're still developing the adult characters, even if this is a filler episode. This totally seemed like something that would bother Shikamaru,and it was nice to focus on this as a break from our... mediocre last arc. I'm hyped for the next episode, though. It's gonna be hella lit!
Dec 15, 2020 7:31 AM

Jul 2013
this episode had me tearing up
Dec 15, 2020 7:39 AM
Dec 2020
By the way isn't ep178 would be naruto's birthday
Dec 15, 2020 5:24 PM

Jul 2019
Spies hidden in the leaf village? Ao catching the leaf in his hand? Definitely sus. I've got a feeling he's one of those outer people that Sai mentioned in the ep where Naruto discussed whether to close the gates or not. But would he not be registered as a traveler? Especially if he's been sighted now by Shikamaru, if Ao is the spy it won't be long until Shikamaru finds out!

Overall great ep! I love the flashbacks when it's something we haven't seen before. Would enjoy seeing more of that when they feature the original cast.

card deliveries newsletter deliveries
Dec 15, 2020 9:41 PM

Oct 2008
The OST in this episode is for sure very touching especially on the part where the prosthetic old dude shinobi told Shikamaru that they are proud of their sons/daughters!
the OP visuals has slight changes...
5/5.

Dec 15, 2020 11:16 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Easily one of the most emotionally on-point episode of the series! Revisiting and getting some closure from the main series, why don't we get more of this more often ffs?

Anyway, the whole buildup with Shikamaru and Ino's conversation to the reveal coupled with the ost was glorious! I honestly though Ao-san was Ino's father at first. Definitely got teary-eyed, and the final scene of Shikamaru and Shikadai was fantastic too.

But damn, what's that in the end? Ao-san?! Great start to the arc, and here's to hoping it'll remain as good throughout.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Dec 16, 2020 3:08 AM

Jun 2019
Really good and emotional episode. Got tears at the end of the episode and when Ino and Shikamaru were talking about their Dads. Waiting for how this arc will be animated.
Also, noticed that Kawaki has finally been shown in the opening.
Dec 16, 2020 4:23 AM

May 2014
Really got emotional with this episode.
Hearing that they expanded on a manga arc once again is really great. I hope they keep doing that this well in the future!

I have heard of an Ao and Kara arcs so I'm excited to finally see what the hype was all about.

Dec 16, 2020 6:22 PM
Nov 2014
Stark700 said:

Seconded! Shikaku really was the bomb (sorry, I know, too soon ╥﹏╥ still can't go back to that episode without my eyes 'sweating')

On a brighter note, I can see just how much Shikamaru cares for his son because he voluntarily just jogged to catch up with the kid, there was no war and no enemy ninjas around and my guy actually jogged :')

BarelyCreative said:

BenRyan said:

That is such a good question... I guess the author wanted to go with the responsibilities of maintaining a family with her as she gives up her previous ambitions/aspirations in the process, which usually happens to people in real life. But yeah it kinda sucks and as a Byakugan user it's lowkey a waste. :/

It's possible that it's temporary since Himawari is still super young and Naruto can't stay at home? I really Really hope we get to see her and her byakugan out in battle later when both Uzumaki kids are able to live by themselves or at least without their parents around 24/7

On an unrelated note, seeing that very last shot, I'd be super sad if they made the respected Ao-dono go down the former Tsuchikage route :( just let a war hero go rest in peace for goodness' sake!
Dec 16, 2020 6:31 PM
Nov 2014
badabass said:
Remembrance day at Konohagakure. Its really brought back the memories of the war, which was led into a certain emotional scene for me. Such a shame Ao did some lies there, and everyone just believed on it. Well, its actually kinda vagued, and i just felt bad with their zero knowledge, especially to Mugino that looked so innocently knew nothing. I wonder what kind of reaction they had when knewing the truth after a certain part at the future. However, yeah, its the beginning of the new era. Shikamaru and the rest of the old generation must be prepared themself to face the same situations. Which forced them to did the same thing, like their parents had, in the past. Okay. Its sad. I must stop it to be like that, because, i don't really wanted them to death xd.

Well, the next one must be really entertaining. The introduction of another Kara's member, including Amado, and his masterpiece. Then, the real death for Victor. Lol. Lets see....

Spoilers my dude {{ (>_<) }} a lot of us don't read the manga so I'm not sure whether these are spoilers or not; might need to use some spoiler tags?
Dec 16, 2020 6:57 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
mbyhmma said:
badabass said:

Spoilers my dude {{ (>_<) }} a lot of us don't read the manga so I'm not sure whether these are spoilers or not; might need to use some spoiler tags?

Oops sorry if thats kinda give a little spoil for you. I don't read manga too. I just get a pretty hype up too much since the preview scene showed up that Kara members i mention. So i am really sorry xd.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Dec 19, 2020 5:05 PM

Nov 2012
Can't believe how much I still miss Neji!
Dec 21, 2020 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
episode was very interesting.
Dec 29, 2020 5:35 AM

Aug 2017
This episode felt really nostalgic and emotional. Good'ol days!!

Shikamaru and Ino's dads believed in their children till their last breath!!

Idk why but Ao seems kinda fishy...

Jan 11, 2021 3:00 AM

May 2014
An ep. were we saw almost no interaction of the Boruto brat. One could call it a canon Naruto ep. About time we saw Ao's appearance after the war. He looks sexier than before. Very touching to see Shikaku and Inochi's last words towards their son and daughter. Very refreshing and heartwarming to watch.

However, I think Ao got a scheme (especially by that end).
Apr 11, 2021 6:40 AM
May 2015
The emotions! omg
Apr 11, 2021 1:11 PM

Apr 2016
One of the best episodes in the series so far.
May 3, 2021 10:44 PM
Apr 2021
This ep sure was emotional. And I completely forgot Ao was there with Shikaku and Inoichi at the HQ.
This ep was a good honour to those who died in the war.
But the end is sus.
Jul 6, 2021 4:17 PM

Apr 2014
That ending freaked me out.
"You don't become Hokage in order to be acknowledged by the village.
The one who is acknowledged by everyone, is the one who becomes Hokage."
Uchiha Itachi, Naruto Shippuden
Aug 10, 2021 1:39 PM

Feb 2021
okay but lemme tell you Ao is SUS as hell
*simping over 2D characters*
Oct 4, 2021 8:13 AM

Jan 2016
What a fantastic episode. I've been waiting so long to see Cyborg Ao in animated form, and it was definitely worth it. I love it when they do flashbacks to the OG series, and it's nice that we actually got to know what happened at the HQ after Shikaku and Inoichi were done with delivering their messages.

5/5 for this one. Loved it.
Nov 27, 2021 10:44 AM
May 2021
I got goosebumps when Shikamaru became emotional

I am interested into that guy now

FINALLY the Kara arc is going on!
Feb 23, 11:05 AM
May 2023
Very good episode, remembering Shikamaru and Ino's past with their parents and seeing that they fully trusted their children is beautiful
Will having to leave everything in the hands of your children happen again? possibly yes, from what we saw in the first episode.

PS: It must be strange to wake up after years and see that your body parts are missing and be the only survivor

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 119 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

32 by Chfenj_ »»
May 22, 7:29 PM

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 218 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2021

160 by Gabriel31YT »»
May 17, 9:50 AM

Poll: » what do you'all genuinely think about the boruto part 1? (no bait/serious/an honest talk) ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 12, 2023

62 by FruitPunchBaka »»
May 7, 3:53 AM

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2017

327 by Domfromthenick »»
May 3, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 29 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2017

58 by ItachiSanStatus »»
May 1, 11:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.