Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 8, 2018 2:12 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Saying SAO is a shit game makes that lady mad.

It seems like the lady knows M guy doing something behind her.

She sacrificed her hands to prove that the lady won't die in real life after dying in game.

They got off guard with the last surviving team, and they got hit.

Main girl serving the high schoolers as thanks to helping her out. They gave her b-day gift.

Meeting them in real life. Shacho?

He met the lady when he was fat... and being a follower. She knows and being really "M".

So they got invited to a bar, where their favorite singer has secret live. New song http://moca-news.net/article/20180701/2018070100300b_/01/

So main girl realized that their favorite singer is the lady. The owner / assistent was also voiced by Hikasa-san.

lol @ the singer is bi?

They still meet up in the game.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 8, 2018 5:12 AM

Nov 2011
As expected, we got the one-on-one battle btween LLEEN and Pito in the finale. The two promised to fight each other although this turned out to be much more intense.

Fuka also got captured by M. I think Pito shooting M was a surprise because I thought she would shoot Fuka for sure as a way to motivate LLENN. However in the end, it seems both characters earned each others' respect in their duel.

There's also the focus on real life characters in this finale which is somewhat refreshing especially with the singing. Overall, this show got a 6/10 from me.

I think it's fine as it is.
Aug 8, 2018 6:13 AM

Jun 2014
Well Pito's real-life identity wasn't too surprising, but it was nice to see her and LLENN finally meet.

Decent show, I personally liked this a bit more than the main SAO series.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 8, 2018 6:56 AM

Jun 2017
I think for some viewers that yuri scene ruined the show for themselves...
Aug 8, 2018 9:18 AM

Oct 2014
“Oh so that’s what M stands for”
This episode was just so hilarious, I loved it. Even though it’s been a long time I remember the jokes very clearly because how good it was. The reveal at the end was foreshadowed when Karen sent the letter at the beginning of the show, then in the same episode asked Pitohui about her taste in music only to recieve a dejected answer from her. Then they discussed escaping reality as if she were someone in the public eye, like an idol or a singer. The yuri was great because it had been hinted at in Pitohui and LLENN’s encounters, I was shocked that they went through with it but it was a step in the right direction nonetheless.
Aug 8, 2018 10:21 AM

Feb 2013
Wow, a really brutal ending, she bit her to death.
Lol, those guys waited for the perfect moment to attack.
Pito was Kanzaki Elsa, what a kawaii crazy girl.
That was a nice kiss.
Aug 8, 2018 1:04 PM

Dec 2016
Holy shit I called it! I never actually thought I’d be right lmaoooo
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 8, 2018 7:40 PM

May 2012
Well I must say they really did a good trick to keep that identity for me hidden, didn't got that link at all but it does make sense and it makes up for an even more lovely ending if you ask me for this series!

Everyone got what they wanted and with a really lovely resolve. All in all I wasn't expecting too much from this spin off series, but it still was packed with quite lovely action and some decent characters I must say. So in general it was a fun watch.
Aug 9, 2018 4:27 AM

Sep 2011
To be frank, this series is okay but fuck that trashy yuri scene at the end.

I'm disappointed that there are no Karen doujin because these filthy assholes want the loli instead.

Aug 9, 2018 5:34 PM

Jan 2013
Had the chance to watch all the 6 episodes straight since i couldn’t see the episodes when they were coming out because of uni, but I’m glad I watched 6 episodes straight.

To be honest I wasn’t very motivated to continue watching this but when I started watching at episode 6 I really wanted to continue watching.
This anime feels completely different from the “usual” SAO and I find it great, it shows that the SAO world is huge and there can be another great spinoff like this one. I don’t know if they are planning to do a 2nd season but if not then it’s not a problem because the anime has a great ending and doesn’t need a 2nd season.

About the episode:
It was really fun and exciting to watch them fight, the action scenes were well done, and the combat was really interesting to watch. I think the OST could have been better, but I guess “typical” SAO ost wouldn’t fit here xD

It was so obvious that Pitohui was the singer girl xD And M….he is crazy xD They both are hahaha But when you see the real Pitohui, it feels weird because her physical appearance doesn’t correspond to what we see in the game xD

The ending was so crazy! This whole episode! So much action and the battles were constantly filled with intense moments, and the ending…. she bit Pitohui to death, even though she had no hands xD Completely crazy hahaha And it feels that she and Miyu did a great team, and would be great to see them again in action together.

I’m glad I watched this, was a great run! If they plan to do a 2nd season it would be great, as long as it remains as entertaining and funny as this one I don’t mind.
8-9/10, completely different from “usual” SAO but it’s definitely worth it!

"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 11, 2018 11:24 PM

Nov 2017
I didn't think they would make Pito's identity that obvious, but who else could it have been I guess. Endings are clearly hard to write.

This was better than the base SAO series, but I was somewhat disappointed considering the person who wrote it also wrote Kino. That's what happens when you set your expectations too high.

I liked how everyone watching the tournament got all pissed at the end when Llenn died and that other insignificant team won. It just glossed over that and went to the next scene as if nothing happened.
Aug 14, 2018 11:17 PM
Aug 2018
Really liked the ending and we all got the fight with LLENN and Pito which I was very satisfied and I'm sure many other people were with also, great show overall and hopefully help to tie people over till the third season of sword art online
Aug 15, 2018 7:08 AM

May 2009
Shame that they skipped scene that was in manga that showed that Elza and Goushi are lovers
Aug 18, 2018 1:20 PM

Nov 2017
I was not expecting this at all and mostly Elza kissing Karen. xD
Aug 18, 2018 1:24 PM

Sep 2011
bastek66 said:
Shame that they skipped scene that was in manga that showed that Elza and Goushi are lovers

Damn that's awesome. I guess this show wants us to show that Elza is a lesbian. Meh.

Aug 18, 2018 6:05 PM

Oct 2015
They should have just made a Pito a villain instead of created that saving her from suicide bullshit. She pissed me off the way she killed everyone and the way she acted. As for the overall series it sucked, there was no story and its direction was haywire. I doubt I will remember the characters like in the original SAO, also the MC was yawning the shit out of me. Pito's identity didn't even shock me, it was pointless and tacky.

I was gonna give it a 6 but after writing this its a 4.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 20, 2018 7:23 AM

Apr 2018
The last few episodes were awful
Aug 26, 2018 1:14 PM

Aug 2013
Amazing kiss, 10/10
Sep 29, 2018 8:27 AM
Jun 2017
Pitohui's reaction when LLEN badmouthed SAO was like every SAO fan ever. Wonder if LENN and Pito got even with T-S at the end?
Oct 7, 2018 11:30 PM

Apr 2012
Tennouji said:
bastek66 said:

Damn that's awesome. I guess this show wants us to show that Elza is a lesbian. Meh.

Um, what? M right in the kiss scene mentions that Elsa are bi and that she constantly sleeps with people of either gender whenever she wants.
Oct 8, 2018 1:41 AM

Sep 2011
RobertBobert said:
Tennouji said:

Um, what? M right in the kiss scene mentions that Elsa are bi and that she constantly sleeps with people of either gender whenever she wants.

I mean what the anime wants to show "visually".

Oct 11, 2018 3:51 PM

Dec 2012
Man, what a hell of a finale. LLENN is a total midget maniac. This battle royale made me feel like I could just keep scooting to the edge of my seat even long after the seat was gone.

Damn, what a spectacle that ended up being. I came into this expecting a mediocre spin-off and instead got the best seat in the house. Both Squad Jams were awesome and I loved that contrast between the ruthless gun game & LLENN's cutesy pink loli avatar. Can't say I was really feeling the whole "IRL death" aspect of it though. The gravity of it never really sank in and I could only laugh whenever I saw Pito go insane (she's still awesome). Man, that kiss though. Hummuna Hummuna!

8/10
Nov 4, 2018 6:04 PM

Oct 2008
I had fun watching it but it wasn't quite like the main series in terms of suspense. I thought Llenn is great as a protagonist and Pito was also interesting but I didn't feel like her identity as an idol matches her crazy personality very well. I'm not sure if I would have guessed it if there hadn't been multiple comments I read guessing it in advance. It was disappointing though realistic to see the unknown team show up and eliminate them both at the end, lol! Also I think I would have rather seen M as Elza's manager than her stalker friend. Overall strong OP and some good moments though.
Nov 11, 2018 6:31 AM

Nov 2016
a pretty fun side story, though very forgettable. i havent watch SAO altercation thingy yet but it would be nice if they made some cameos.
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Nov 19, 2018 3:35 AM

Dec 2009
Guess i was the one who was bamboozled lul. Either i'm getting really clumsy, or there was a number of either unintentional or intentional false-baits. The conversations and memories not adding up, and the other guys saying Pito was wearing NerveGear...

I guess i neglected the fan latter giving the info and stuff (and the fact she bothered to mention sheet music, though that could have just been a slip), but that's a tad farfetched, and M's chicken personality didn't come back... I do feel the writing is kind of weak in this too, despite the praise it gets by some. It turned out to be far too simple-minded; it was too contrived.

Mrrgh, i wanna see her bonkers attitude on the loli Elza's face/body reeeeeeeeeee

Truly an anime loaded full of gap moe.
Yuri fanservice was welcome.
GenesisAriaNov 19, 2018 3:59 AM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 19, 2018 7:15 PM

Nov 2013
Llenn was more like a rabid dog than a pink bunny in the one-on-one fight.

The meeting in real life was hilarious. How unfortunate for Elsa, that Karen doesn't swing that way.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Nov 23, 2018 3:57 PM
Nov 2018
This ending was dissapointing, this was a good series but this ending definitely put it behind what i thought of it until now.
I was thinking that this was close to beibg a masterpiece but this ending ruined that chance.
Pretty good series, bad ending.
7/10.
Nov 24, 2018 7:15 AM

Mar 2016
HOLY! Now that's some brutally crazy way for LLENN to kill Pito, the crazy sadist. That would make for an amazing end to SJ2 but wow, the TS team literally sat out most of the climactic fights only to clean up what's left to win. A dick move that truly deserves the spectators' middle fingers!

M the Masochist is perfectly matched with Pito the Sadist (S&M). Or should I say... Elsa.

I had figured out Pito is Elsa since the moment Karen sent that fan letter of her to Elsa. And to be honest, I must say that I'm quite impressed that Karen figured out that the same too! Well, they can now finally share more fun time as frie-WOW!!

HOLD THE FUUUUCK UP! That Yuri kiss between Karen and Elsa is goddamn BULLSHIT! I do not approve of this sudden yuri relationship. I should've seen this coming from those moments where Elsa as Pito insulted men in a way that kind of show that she's a lesbian.
At the same time, M just got cucked! He didn't even bother stopping this absurd act and rather just accepts it while looking away.

In conclusion; GGO alternative is a really nice alternative with a great balance between action and a slice of life and of course... With at least something that would make some of the audiences get triggered and hate for Fuck this BS unapproved sudden NTR Yuri kiss twist. The ending would be much better if they had not included this bs kiss.

I like Yuri, but not shitty Yuri
Dec 27, 2018 10:52 PM

Feb 2013
I must have completed this when mal was down and forgot to set it as done. So I'll try and rate it as I can remember. For me 8/10.
Jan 29, 2019 1:51 AM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Is it just me, or is Fuka best girl at this point? xD
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Feb 5, 2019 6:22 PM

Apr 2015
Surprised how good this was. Also heading for doujins about Elza and Karen after this, fandom better have delivered.

8/10
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 6, 2019 12:29 PM

Mar 2014
As is the case with some series for me, it started to drag in the middle and I couldn't take it seriously when M and Pito showed their true colors as crazy "lovebirds"

But seeing LLENN and Pito in action on the field was always a treat. And when they finally met somehow seeing the real Pito made me forgive everything she'd done in GGO.

"M for Masochist" made me lmao
Mar 8, 2019 10:37 PM

Dec 2012
LLENN slashing Pito.
Dat explosion.
P-chan II!!!!!!!
Pito shot M in the face.
Pito knows.
Headshot +150
LLENN beat Pito.
LMAO LLENN died. Fuka died, too. NO!!!!!
Moe!
Karen's bday is 420.
lol at Miyu.
LMAO at M being fat in the photo.
M followed Pito.
LMAO M stands for Masochist.
It's Elsa.
Who is this lady with big oppai?
Rei Satou.
I knew Pito was Elsa.
Dat kiss.
Men and women?
END

And that was the end. It was ok. Miyu and Moe best girls.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Mar 17, 2019 11:58 AM

Feb 2019
That knife fight gave me the chills xD
And it was nice to see them all sort it out and become friends :)
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Mar 22, 2019 6:50 PM

Sep 2013
I really hope there's a sequel of some sort. One of those rare instances where a spin off is awesome!
Apr 20, 2019 9:43 PM

Jun 2015
i really, really like gun gale online as a game more than sword art and alfheim. and i enjoyed karen as a character, but pito and her suicide schemes ruined it for me. her idol image didn't match her personality at all, even the story with goushi was manipulative and terrible. might've seemed ok for the characters and the anime, but i can't imagine how this would feel in real life.
i'd watch another anime with karen in it again, but i'd be severely upset if another character like pito showed up.
Apr 29, 2019 12:52 PM

Jan 2013
Awesome scene with LLEENN biting Pito to Death.
Reveal was cool but obvious since they made it so obvious with sending the letter and Goushi somehow knowing her address.

This entire anime felt like an odd addition to the franchise, not that I didn't like it, just weird.
Really couldnt get into the fact that Karen was playing as a completely pink loli, same with her P90 getting a voice and face ...
I guess I'm just used to SAO always being serious and now we have a more light hearted entry.

7/10
May 16, 2019 12:49 AM

Sep 2012
considering all that i doupt that tge guys story about her being S was also lie to fool them

but the end was hilarious, i think heroibe got her heart stolen by Pito
May 23, 2019 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
I've rewatched this the second time and there are parts at the end is just as confusing:

"To save Pito is to kill her ingame" was LLENN's goal and LLENN doesn't know Pito will be using NerveGear. It was only suggesting Pito may commit suicide if she was killed ingame, M discussed this with Karen prior to BoB match.

During BoB M and the team discover Pito is using NerveGear, M became very upset as NerveGear at that point is still capable of killing the user, not just in SAO according to GGO Fatal Bullet story and M is aware of that. That lead to:

1. Why Pito didn't die from NerveGear when LLENN killed her?
2. Why Pito know she won't die from LLENN?
3. Was Pito fantasizing at the time she was shot knowing her NerveGear won't kill her anyway?
4. Conception Pito will die if killed ingame, but never said anything about winning, so why not help her win?
removed-userMay 23, 2019 2:52 PM
Jun 29, 2019 10:25 PM
Dec 2009
I liked this a lot more than I expected to. 8/10
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Aug 17, 2019 7:00 PM
Apr 2016
The fight was good and all, but oh my god the conversation in the car was just hilarious, hahaha. Pito did good with her "pranks," she's awesome. I honestly really really didn't expect her to be like that outside Gun Gale, she's adorable, cute, and a singer.

Pretty sad how Gun Gale is the best Sword Art Online anime.
Nov 23, 2019 4:07 PM

Sep 2016
how to go from 6/10 to 7/10 with one kiss scene

君の胸に触れていいですか

:>

May 2, 2020 7:26 PM

Aug 2015
Generally speaking, I liked this anime but some things just don't add up. What's with all the talk about Pito using NerveGear? Why didn't she die then?

If she wasn't using one and would actually kill herself if she were ever to die in the game, why didn't she do so? Just because she agreed to meet LLENN irl if she were to kill her in the game?

She suddenly ended her obsession with SAO and death in the finale? What's up with all of these??
Jun 28, 2020 1:24 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That's an anticlimactic way to put it off in a few words. I started watching with curiosity, finished watching unsatisfied.
Jul 14, 2020 9:49 AM
Feb 2018
Overall, I enjoyed this series. I thought the characters we're pretty good, the art/animation we're solid and the story was good too. I do think the way the all girls team died was stupid though, all rushing in like morons. The ending for me was nice. Was a bit strange seeing how Elza just kisses Karen randomly, and basically implying she'd sleep over with Karen too. Action in the series was entertaining too and I've never watched SAO before.

Story: 7
Art/Animation: 8
Characters: 7
Sound: 7

7/10!
Jul 31, 2020 8:56 AM

Apr 2013
So not only gets M vs Miyu offscreened, a random team also appears and takes the win? WTF? And literally no one was surprised who Pito in reality was, like the birds were screaming it from the roofs for 10 episodes.

I really liked this show in the beginning, but the moment Pito became an antagonist my enjoyment dropped a lot. She didn't fit that role at all, she and M are horrible characters. Nevertheless at least I enjoyed the protagonist and her friend so it's not entirely bad. 5/10
Nov 9, 2020 10:16 AM

Dec 2015
I enjoyed it, but I can't really get behind this whole gasping and cringing when people get hit or shot when they aren't feeling real pain, because it's a virtual world.

Not to mention the inclusion of professional security people uses GGO as practice, when in the same game we have players like LEENN, with high stats in some attributes, that breaks all realism these guys should be looking for.

6/10
Apr 5, 2021 2:11 PM

Aug 2017
Ending is fine but the yuri scene is completely unnecessary since it ruined the emotional scene. I'm more surprised about how Pitohui never read LLENN’s letter. M = masochist lol.

I appreciate that the anime explores more about GGO than the second season of SAO although the game was just a setting for the plot and much explanation wasn't really necessary (SAO II). Only thing I don't like was LLENN's gun talking, it took me out of the immersion. 6/10 for the anime.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 4, 2021 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
what a POS show, only reason I went through it is because I'm doing a 100% SAO related stuff rewatch before Ali arc
May 19, 2021 11:17 AM

May 2015
God I love this series so much!

This is my third re-watch and its just so fun and so enjoyable to watch. Never get sick of watching this and it has such a nice fresh feel to it. One reason is probably cause it's battle royal which we're all familiar with now but another is just as opposed to SAO where its life or death tbh this entire anime I felt it was just people playing a video game and getting really into it. I couldn't stop grinning during the last episode.

SAO Alternative is just fun to watch. LLENN best girl. Will never get sick of re-watching this. Its one of the most re-watchable anime I've watched to date.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go re-play Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet lol

(Side note: Wow people really didn't like this lol. Just scrolling up to see nothing but negative comments. I stand by my opinion that this is the most enjoyable SAO. But its pretty much down to personal preference like all things)
DarknessRealityMay 19, 2021 11:21 AM
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 11 Discussion

tsubasalover - Aug 8, 2018

18 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 10 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 9 Discussion

23 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 17, 11:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 8 Discussion

21 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 16, 1:39 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

75 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Apr 16, 12:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.