Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 30, 2017 4:32 PM
Oct 2012
Mealstrom_1 said:
I was legitimately frustrated when everyone was alive after that fight. Tanya's bullet hole in the shoulder was completely ignored after that scene.

I think you missed several points here. First, that the shoulder wound was mostly healed showed how much time had passed - at least several weeks - the other soldiers were also mostly recovered though they took far more extensive damage.

Second, and more important, Being-X is testing Tanya's empathy. He wanted to see how she would react to almost losing her men and then seeing them okay. Would she develop compassion? A respect for human life? Morals? That was what the scene outside of Church was about. Tanya failed - she might have some empathy for HER people, but none for humanity. So, Being-X is like, okay back into the war for you, seems like you are going to have to lose some people close to you to change.

So while this scene is animation only, it actually is a good insight into Tanya's growth and lack of, and it sets up the next season well.

As whether they meant this, absolutely. Salaryman's lack of caring about his own death and his complete lack of empathy was what attracted Being-X to him at the first.

That is what I think most of the critics miss about this show. Whether it is WWI or WWII is irrelevant, this world was SOLELY created in order to test Tanya. She has been given the potential to turn it into heaven or hell, and she is insisting on the latter (the town scene best captured this - she was fine with killing civilians because they COULD become future enemies - then think about this episode, when she refused to prevent the same thing from happening when she could have).
Mar 31, 2017 6:48 AM

Apr 2016
If history has taught me anything, it's that the French fleet will be back with even more support, and they will destroy the Empire. And so starts World War II, and the destruction of the Empire.

I was really hoping that Tanya would destroy those French guys who were fleeing and prevent WWII, since he/she knows what is going to happen. Well too bad.
Death to the oppressive Empire!!
Apr 2, 2017 9:54 PM

Dec 2014
Great fight although I already figured Tanya would win again.

I kinda don't like how Being X just basically cheats lol.

I have to see what's going to happen next!

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Apr 2, 2017 10:36 PM

Apr 2014
Pretty great show, maybe the best of the season. Unlike most people I was hooked from episode 1 and it never let me down. Just wish a second season could someday be made for it.

7/10
Apr 4, 2017 4:28 AM

Jul 2008
Oh dear, Tanya just got screwed again I fear.
Apr 5, 2017 12:19 PM
Apr 2017
Foi bom mais sla aquela decepção do final foi uma bosta
Apr 6, 2017 8:49 AM
Mar 2012
nice aerial fight, very tensely paced. Eye patch had this looming pressure, but better if he put more of a fight at close range. Tanya's shield pretty op for blocking the self detonation.
Time for Tanya to fight the structure, always sucks when close minded leaders waste effort & stop halfway.
Apr 6, 2017 10:14 AM

Oct 2015
damn revived and rekt instantly. Being X isn't going to let this war stop.
Apr 7, 2017 8:17 PM

May 2012
A boy the buildup is pretty much laid, really do wonder how the next and last episode will go now! Really impressive episode in general again, really loving this development and can't wait to see the conclusion next!
Apr 8, 2017 6:55 PM

Feb 2013
That battle up front was intense. Too bad that other dude didn't last for another episode...

The ending was... wow, nice job on the buildup/suspense. Tanya freaking out over being ordered to stand down...
Apr 9, 2017 2:55 AM

Apr 2015
One episode left!

They aren't listening to poor Tanya, even though she's done so much to help them ;;

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Apr 9, 2017 4:57 AM

Jun 2014
Heh I THOUGHT things were going a little too smoothly. But being X has to build her up in order to break her down enough.

I can't wait to see how this happens.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 14, 2017 12:56 AM

Dec 2012
This aerial warfare was amazing, the best one that I have seen in anime. Great episode. Tanya already knew the WWII, so she know what is happening
May 22, 2017 5:52 PM

May 2013
Well shiet. I wonder if Being X is hoeing Tanya lololol

I agree that the battle was disappointing though :/ but apparently it's not in the manga, so I guess it's alright. Her consecutive shots at Sioux was pretty badass though, not gon lie. I also liked the touch where they zoomed in on the initials to emphasize he was being shot with his own daughter's gun :'(
Jun 27, 2017 9:58 AM

Sep 2015
I feel like shes definitely gonna die because of this...
Jul 30, 2017 12:19 AM

May 2016
All those gorgeous explosions in this episode were on par with Gurren Lagann's quality of destruction ♡ Despite Tanya and the battalion having some massive close calls, I'm very glad everyone survived.

I admired Tanya being concerned for the lives of her comrades to the point of saving one of them from imminent death by getting hit. I could've been okay if the Colonel fought Tanya fairly but directly breaking the treaty by using a forbidden weapon was just low not to mention Being X making him an explosive bullet sponge. I was so glad Viktoriya saved her at the last second.

When everyone was celebrating their victory, she realized that the war wasn't over after all but no one listened... Are they really that stupid, not seeing through the unusually eager surrender and turning their back on the person who let them amass all those victories in the first place? Poor Tanya.

Aug 11, 2017 12:07 AM

Mar 2015
I really hope they show the stupid looks on the faces of those old bastards the moment they realize the grave mistake they've made
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Sep 20, 2017 4:41 AM

Jun 2016
This episode went from being so fucking savage and awesome with the fight between Tanya and that fucking Colonel to being so happy because nobody died in Tanya's battalion to fucking frustrating anxiety-causing moment because disobeyed an order and she feels like she's gonna be killed by a firing squad. What the fuck.

That's not going to happen! Without Tanya, their so-called victory will never happen. Fuck them!

P.S. Viktoriya blushing after seeing Grantz is alive. Hihihi. Cutesy.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 11, 2017 10:02 PM
Nov 2014
I love how Tanya has evolved from Salaryman to what she is now.
Jan 16, 2018 8:06 AM

Mar 2015
This episode is so amazing! How could a show keep being amazing on each episodes?!

I mean seriously, in this episode you can feel a lot of things from Tanya! Her concern for Weiss, her concern to just live in peace, her concern to end the war once and for all and her rage. Like damn!

Feb 6, 2018 6:19 PM

Jul 2013
What the hell is the general staff thinking? Ceasefire is temporary and with the enemy navy gone, the said ceasefire will only be broken once those navy unload their remaining bombs and whatever to the imperial capital lol and it won't have any repercussions whatsoever because the whole world is against the empire it's obvious with the entente alliance secretly backing the republic. Also that aerial battle was badass.
Nov 5, 2018 3:04 PM

Nov 2016
Pretty cool episode, had to lol at the beach scene.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 5, 2019 10:45 AM

Apr 2013
God the frustration! I could FEEL it from this side of the screen!

And thus the war continues...
Mar 7, 2019 6:24 PM

Jun 2015
Everything Tanya is building up to is falling apart and there literally seems to be no true victory for her
Mar 20, 2019 5:43 AM

Jul 2009
Tanya might be bloodthirsty, but the show does a pretty good job in justifying her actions. Ignoring any sort of resistance will eventually cause the Republic to rebuild its power. I'm curious how the series will handle this issue with only one episode left.
Jun 9, 2019 12:59 AM

Apr 2018
Well that fight turned out to be short. I was expecting that guy to be stronger since he got a power up from Being X. Welp last episode here we go
Jul 7, 2019 11:58 AM

Apr 2009
Well good-riddance, I hope we won't see him ever again!

She wants to totally end the Republic's war fighting capability by eliminating all it's remaining military strength ensuring an absolute and complete military victory for the Empire over the Republic but politics overtook her initiative. War will continue, more despair so more prayers to God or maybe to Being-X.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 11, 2019 1:07 PM
Jun 2013
I kind of wish this guy stood alive longer though I guess he was there just to remind tanya that being X is the one truly control of everything. Though I would've figured that being x would let those other soldiers die instead of live.
Dec 10, 2019 4:35 AM

Oct 2013
Aerial warfare was pleasant to watch, as well as both sides' magic used in it.

Grantz in alive!

Tanya noticed a strange analogy that what happened on the frontline in her current reality was similar to what happened during World War II after France was defeated. Too bad the warchiefs refuse to take any actions and get drunk by their latest success.
Jan 1, 2020 3:53 AM

Feb 2018
Good episode and also nice fighting.
Feb 9, 2020 2:41 PM

Mar 2010
Poor tanya they use her like a rag doll, but won't even listen to reason.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Apr 3, 2020 6:41 PM

Mar 2020
and everyone survived, they hyped up that bum for no reason. That was anticlimactic af
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Jun 16, 2020 9:13 PM

Aug 2019
pretty fucking wild episode won't lie. Company almost got yeeted when they were so close to success. Might sound weird but i do feel semi relieved that the war is over with the Empire winning. Due to the timeline were yes the Empire is pretty much a close carbon copy to Germany in ww1 however instead of Germany invading, the Republican invaded Germany giving them a valid reason to retaliate.
It might be bold of me to say this, but i presume their casualties are lower then ours in ww1? These tactician and strategist seem a bit more aware and not constantly throwing soldiers at the front line to solve the problem.
Lmao "Trench guns? That's a treaty violation, you barbarians!" god the Germans seem to always have it rough with the shotguns even if it's in a fictional anime world xD sorry, correct me if i'm wrong my ww1 knowledge is a bit rusty . If i'm not mistaken, in ww1 Germany actually made a complaint in 1918 asking the Americans to stop using trench shotguns as it was illegal due to cause unnecessary suffering.
Sep 6, 2020 12:40 PM

Mar 2018
So Tanya can easily survive a close range explosion and the whole battalion magically revives at the end of the battle. Pretty disappointing.
Sep 12, 2020 8:21 AM

Apr 2013
tokidoki921 said:
So Tanya can easily survive a close range explosion and the whole battalion magically revives at the end of the battle. Pretty disappointing.

No one was killed during that battle because that battle is anime original. So they can't possibly kill anyone still alive in the novel version.
It's the same with the final duel in the movie sequel : while the battle in itself partially happened, the whole duel is anime original. So it can't kill anyone; wound at best and in the next anime part the wounds will be magically healed already because those wounds are not supposed to have happened.
FYI the man she duels in this episode died from his wounds in the novel when Tanya stabbed him in their previous encounter several episodes ago. The circumstances were also heavily different, but the fact that he got stabbed and she took his gun is identical.
Dec 7, 2020 12:38 PM

Feb 2020
Okay, now that was some great development for Tanya. My view of her as a character and a person improved, because she turns out being much more multi-faceted than I initially thought.
And yes, I also see her as a better person than I first thought because for all the evil she can do, she also seems to genuily care about her soldiers, which is something I suspected before, especially in last episode, but I wasn't sure of it.
I still really don't consider her to be a good person, but she isn't as bad as she seemed to be and that's interesting to see.
And finally, what I wanted to see happened : I got to see her break. I really wanted to see that because for now, she seemed unbreakable to a ridiculous level.
But to first have her aknowledge how war can drive you insane, and later practically break in tears because of the chances of ending the war being lost, is something I'm really glad to see, turns out she is human after all.
Oh and Aoi Yuki's acting never disappoints and she proves it once again.

However while I am pleasantly surprised, I still have some complaints (other than the characters outside of Tanya and maybe Viktoriya being incredibly boring) :

-I still don't get why does the show's title and opening depict Tanya as the very definition of evil when in reality she isn't that much of a threat and is even someone you'd want to root for considering how little the show seems to care about the other characters
-Tanya is still way too op, I don't see how she could survive the explosion, I can't even try to explain it by her being protected by Being X since he also was protecting Sue who actually died
-Speaking of Sue, while the fight was epic I really don't understand what was the point. Really, I don't see it.
Dec 8, 2020 9:10 PM

May 2020
Amazing episode, awesome writing, and fight scene
Mar 20, 2021 7:48 AM

Apr 2013
I did not expect the fight against the enemy mages end in not even one episode, I think it was the right decision to keep it short though. So they're looking for an armistice, huh... maybe the empire got greedy and wants to continue the war at some point?
May 3, 2021 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
Re-watching
Tanya is pissed off while Being X is literally spectating and doing some interference.
Jul 15, 2021 12:29 PM

Nov 2017
This is the best episode so far. Tanya's seiyuu really shined here too. It was pretty intense~
Aug 12, 2021 8:23 AM
Jun 2021
Do you really think you can defeat Tanya? :v
Oct 16, 2021 10:32 AM
Nov 2020
This episode makes my heart beats faster than its normal speed. This is amazing!
Jan 23, 2022 5:20 AM

May 2020
Finally the war ended or maybe not, but still the first half was explosive with all that aerial action around and seems like this time that man's dead for real. Tanya's breakdown towards the end though, she tried her best but still you can't deny those order from superiors, that's all there is.

And all because of this stupid enjoying the small time success psychology, we witnessed not one but two world wars.
Aug 28, 2023 5:40 AM

Apr 2020
Great episode. The aerial action was epic. Bro had a feast eating all those bullets.

War isn't over sigh, Tanya's adversity continues...
Dec 15, 2023 8:05 AM

Nov 2023
What a good leader of a battalion Tanya is.
Feb 16, 2:28 PM
May 2023
Great battle. Gotta appreciate a female MC and the relationship that formed between her subordinates.
Apr 22, 9:36 AM
Oct 2017
Thank you for explaining, it is a bit disappointing to have the anime skip all details of the strategic planning. It feels the anime is focused in give war historians and enthusiast only a retelling of the events back then with this new protagonist.
Apr 22, 9:38 AM
Oct 2017
Reply to Reload
So sad that the Chief of Operations had his suspicions and just brushed it off as city preservation. You'd think Erich would at least keep his guard up for future threats. What happened? They always thought several steps ahead before. Guess they were satisfied with capturing the capital. They should have been aiming higher since that was all they had been preaching since the beginning. To think they are already making post-war plans when the war isn't completely over yet.

Tanya seems to have underestimated Being X. Think about it. What would lead you to believe you'd be reborn into a world nearing the end of war? Your mindset should be, "this is just the beginning of a long dragged out war." There have been plenty of wars in history that have lasted decades. Don't trick yourself into believing you can shorten one on your own. Well, her original plan was to sit out the war at the rear anyway. Tough luck finding out her power would lead to her own misfortune. So, imagine how she feels knowing she'll be on the front lines the majority of her life. Just Being X's way of setting up "dire straits."

Of course, this is counterproductive to awakening one's faith. Who would worship the very cause of their misfortune? It's like those genies that rip you off. Your reborn with unrivaled powers, but your forced to use it to defend your homeland for the rest of your life. Yep, tough luck mate. It was an up hill battle from the beginning. She might just be prolonging the inevitable. Imagine if she never joined the army. If they'd likely lose the war sooner without her abilities, she'd live in a society were she would be discriminated against regardless of whether she was an orphan or not. Killing her young is obviously not Being X's intent here.

I'll stop here. The moment you re-watch episodes to make a point, you know you've been typing for too long.
@Reload very interesting analysis, thank you for this.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2017

209 by lazypanda666 »»
Yesterday, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2017

218 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 25, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

313 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

448 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:41 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Apr 24, 8:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.