Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2017 3:29 AM

Oct 2015
It's more like Gundam IBO ver.2 (without Mecha) LOL
Jan 7, 2017 3:42 AM
Apr 2011
hoopla123 said:
I don't even know what to feel about this show lol.

And that one girl's eyes.

Jesus those fucking eyes.

Someone burn that shit with fire!

That's like the best part of this show.
Jan 7, 2017 4:25 AM
Mar 2008
Other than the faces of the girls - the anime was enjoyable...

...If I hadn't read the LN, this would have been great overall. But since I did... why did they have to start this in the middle of the LN? Tanya looks like a patriotic god-fearing action hero, but she isn't, her inner monologue while the action happened is completely cut out and the reason she is so strong now compared to the beginning of the LN isn't explained at all.

Damn, I really like the Light Novel - so much wasted potential, but if I didn't knew about the LN, I would be hyped. So I'm rating it accordingly.
Jan 7, 2017 4:30 AM
Apr 2011
Thesimpleway said:
Other than the faces of the girls - the anime was enjoyable...

...If I hadn't read the LN, this would have been great overall. But since I did... why did they have to start this in the middle of the LN? Tanya looks like a patriotic god-fearing action hero, but she isn't, her inner monologue while the action happened is completely cut out and the reason she is so strong now compared to the beginning of the LN isn't explained at all.

Damn, I really like the Light Novel - so much wasted potential, but if I didn't knew about the LN, I would be hyped. So I'm rating it accordingly.

Perhaps they will go back and explain it later. Kind of like how some shows begin in the middle of the story in ep1, then go back in time in next episode.
Jan 7, 2017 4:30 AM

Jan 2016
The scene where tanya blow up a dozen soldier is Much much more better in the manga. Pretty dissapointing if you have read the manga, not a bad episode though
Jan 7, 2017 4:34 AM

Jun 2012
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Takuan_Soho said:

Reading that chapter now. Much better explained, he uses some historical examples and actually explains it even before she took over command of her Flight.

To summarize, this is not "trench warfare", the Republic has launched a surprise attack on the depleted lines of the Empire and rather than make a tactical withdrawal the Imperial forces have been ordered to defend their collapsing line.

Tanya realizes the stupidity of this order (but such situations arise in all wars and the author explains why it was made) and that in such a fluid situation it was better to remain mobile than to be tied to a fixed structure, this is where I am now.

My guess is that when she sent the men to the "rear" (which is actually an Imperial base) her point was to fix their location. As the Imperial Army continued to collapse, this base became a very tempting target for the Republic, hence their decision to shell it. That was what she knew they would be killed. And the officers couldn't move the forces because they were ordered to "hold the line". It was the contradiction between orders and reality that she exploited.

I have to finish the chapter, but reading it does make the first episode much much clearer. The adapter still did a very good job, this is not an easy assignment. I would have focused on "fixed" vs "mobile", but that could be a translation thing.

Yeah! Thank you! The way you present it with these details, like the author originally did, makes the whole "send them at the wrong place" plot look more believable, logical to me than the anime version.

I was indeed thinking they were in a relatively stable trench warfare situation.

Thanks again and I take back my "bad writing" in this case (at least for the novel).

Wtf, everything he mentioned from the novel is in the anime.
Jan 7, 2017 4:35 AM

Sep 2011
Well, Studio NUT certainly knows how to make a compelling first episode.

I look forward to seeing more of this, slowly getting used to Visha's character design, and hearing hardcore, all business, military captain Aoi Yuuki.
Jan 7, 2017 4:37 AM
Mar 2008
FononZero said:

Perhaps they will go back and explain it later. Kind of like how some shows begin in the middle of the story in ep1, then go back in time in next episode.

Even if they do, this fight would have had more impact after a proper introduction.

(Not a big LN spoiler but I'll use tags just to be sure)
Jan 7, 2017 5:02 AM
May 2016
Magic and military, kinda like Izetta, though I think this is much better.
Badass loli MC, I'm wondering what more insanely things the MC would do, her smile give me chills.
Jan 7, 2017 5:02 AM

May 2014
Holy fuck! That kid/girl scares the shit out of me. And I have not said that since I watched the FMA series and saw Pride.
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jan 7, 2017 5:07 AM

Jul 2015
Who else mistook the title for "Saga of Tanya the Loli"?

Jan 7, 2017 5:11 AM

Dec 2013
Apart from the eyes being way too big for the two main girls and the hair on almost everyone being gothic rocker-ish, everything else seemed alright.

Not familiar with the novel, but I enjoyed the battle scenes immensely. Not too sure where the story is suppose to go for this one, but looking forward to learning more about this the next episode.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 7, 2017 5:15 AM

Mar 2015
First loli i ever approved, I have never read the light novel but I enjoyed the heck out of this episode. Expecting more from this.
Jan 7, 2017 5:16 AM
Apr 2011
Thesimpleway said:
FononZero said:

Even if they do, this fight would have had more impact after a proper introduction.

hm, dunno why they would skip so far into the story then.... but...
Jan 7, 2017 5:21 AM

Dec 2014
The first scene started off with an explosion...this can impress Michael Bay...and me too!... some overpowered prodigy trampling over whatever they feel...it's good to see these once a while

Jan 7, 2017 5:28 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty decent, haven't read any of the source material so they've managed to keep me interested in her / his background. I wouldn't give up on it based on one goddamn episode, since I pretty much hated most of the pilots of my favorite shows at first.

The art is good enough, although from what I've heard it does no justice to the original effort.

Aside from the chick who has a name I can't spell and Tanya, there haven't been any too memorable faces. I hope this changes.

Ignoring all that, I would love to see an anime that portrays either of the World Wars with realism, without any magical powers that destroy whole platoons. Something like Band of Nii-sans from western TV, but animated.
uh oh!
Jan 7, 2017 5:28 AM

Aug 2015
This was quiet interesting and I really enjoyed this first episode. I'm also a fan of the mc, that little girl is something...
Jan 7, 2017 5:54 AM

Aug 2012
Finally +1 that I like in this season. Looking good so far, can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 7, 2017 6:02 AM

Jul 2009
So when I heard about this, I was confused but I wanted to watch it... but I was busy so I put it off... I finally watched it just 40 or so minutes ago and Relaxed after finishing it to let the joy sink in.

Tanya Degurechaff my hero!! That crazy face is sexy as hell and that grin as she beheaded that guy made me smile a lot. When I heard she sent the soldiers who could've got her killed to the rear, I knew they'd die. They should've went home like good little boys.

Tanya plays by the rules of life; if you step on a battlefield to kill someone, be prepared to have your own life taken as well. Those soldiers clearly signed up to kill people and go home heroes...

Characters that pass through my mind when I think of Tanya include Alucard from Hellsing Ultimate and the Hifumi from the web novel Summoned Slaughter.
Jan 7, 2017 6:34 AM

Nov 2015
I was shocked because Visha suddenly appeared on episode 1. The anime made a huge skip. Maybe, in the next episode, we will be getting a flashback on the events they skipped. I hope so. Welp the LN is practically impossible to be fully adapted because it's way too confusing to read.
Jan 7, 2017 7:02 AM
Mar 2008
FononZero said:
Thesimpleway said:

hm, dunno why they would skip so far into the story then.... but...

Jan 7, 2017 7:43 AM

May 2015
evil loli........... SCARY

Best Shitty Reviews
“Like is like a blank canvas you paint it with whatever you want (colors,blood,sweat,shit etc)”
Current Season rec : Layton Mystery Tanteisha: Katri no Nazotoki File
I am an anime OST Maniac and they play a huge role in my rating for a anime.
interested ?
click the GIF>>>>>
Jan 7, 2017 8:21 AM

Jul 2014
I was expecting more weapons and zero magic, but it works for me. Started really well IMO.

I also thought it was going to be about nazis vs muricans, MC being a nazi, but yea...
Jan 7, 2017 8:52 AM

Nov 2015
Nice start :) But..... where is Seinen , action tag ?
Jan 7, 2017 9:12 AM
Mar 2015
Fantastic first episode.
Simply fell in love with Tanya's character.
I've been waiting so long for such anime.
Jan 7, 2017 9:27 AM

Aug 2009
These are some of the ugliest char designs I've ever seen in an anime... I can't take this shit seriously. If you're trying to make a serious war anime, don't use these ridiculous designs. Also the voice of the MC... my ears >_< nope nope nope. Dropped.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 7, 2017 9:31 AM

Apr 2013
ExxBlack said:
Nice start :) But..... where is Seinen , action tag ?

Seinen is a manga demographic tag, not a genre tag. It has nothing to do on an anime adapting a novel since novel don't use those demographic tag.

Action isn't that predominant compared to the military stuff in the novels, and you only put the most important tags.
Now we may have to add it on the anime side indeed, but it depends how they go with the new episodes, it's too early to conclude that the anime will go that way with the adaptation.
ZefyrisJan 7, 2017 9:42 AM
Jan 7, 2017 9:37 AM

Nov 2013
Zefyris said:
TheBigGuy said:

Reviews after only one episode are always retarded in my opinion.

Pretty sure that such reviews are actually not allowed and need to be reported and deleted anyway.

As far as I know, only reviews after 4 episodes are allowed. The others will be deleted automatically. It looks like, that some idiots still didn't grasp that.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 7, 2017 9:41 AM

Apr 2013
TheBigGuy said:
Zefyris said:

Pretty sure that such reviews are actually not allowed and need to be reported and deleted anyway.

As far as I know, only reviews after 4 episodes are allowed. The others will be deleted automatically. It looks like, that some idiots still didn't grasp that.

Yes.
Several of them have already been reported (when you click on the report button, it informs you if it has already been report or not) so I suppose that review moderator will just do a big sweep on all of them when they'll come due to the reports, including those not reported yet.
Jan 7, 2017 9:54 AM

Oct 2013
It was a good first episode, animation was on point.

My only concern is that Tanya feels a bit jumbled and manufactured, like she was created using a checklist of traits that can sell. I worry that the whole show will be a marketing gimmick to come up with scenarios to boost Tanya merchandise sales.
ghoulcustomerJan 7, 2017 9:58 AM
Jan 7, 2017 10:09 AM

Apr 2016
not that bad i can see why people kinda hate this first ep but hey i actually enjoy it
"Mountains, beings, and nature's laws are bound by an arrangement, and within it, we live." -Mushishi Zoku Shou Suzu No Shizuku
Jan 7, 2017 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
I have absolutely no idea what I have actually watched just now. This is so weird.
Jan 7, 2017 10:59 AM

Sep 2010
Well the show is average at best as anime always fails to deliver proper second world war show.

I remember hating on a similar show some time ago where another world war series got mess up by addition of magic girls doing magical things.

Still while last time it was truly a magic girl who fought for friendship and love and played the hero, like typical magic girl does, this time we get the psychopath loli.

Watching anime just so see psychopath loli killing things both allies and enemies alike (especially allies), maybe I can watch the series just for that. What's more this time the plot is from "Germany" perspective, so maybe we will see them winning the second world war with the power of psychopath loli. That would be a nice twist.

If that happens then in the future when considering the question, why Germany lost the second world war, we can answer.

They did well but they didn't have psycho loli on their side.
Jan 7, 2017 11:05 AM

Apr 2014
That was awesome! A great start for the new Studio NUT.
Jan 7, 2017 11:06 AM
Jul 2018
Found it pretty meh. I don't like the character designs, but the MC seems pretty interesting.
Jan 7, 2017 11:24 AM
Oct 2012
Snaita said:
Wtf, everything he mentioned from the novel is in the anime.

Yes and no, they mentioned it, however they made one serious visual error that led to confusion.

The shows starts off with the Imperial Army launching an offensive against the Republic, not the Federation (based on uniforms). This created a contradiction in the meaning of what the army officials then later said.

Then showing the trench warfare both before and after that scene, led one to assume that this was a reference to WWI trench warfare, and if that had been so, then the complaint Ysad_Ziwezhan made was valid. It also didn't help to have Tanya in the same tent at the same location for multiple days. This made it seem like the lines were more stable than they were.

So while I agree that the info was there, I would also say that one could draw the other conclusion as well from the same info. This is why I said "spirit of generosity" in my first post.

This is from a viewer first person, the book of course explains things far better.
Jan 7, 2017 11:26 AM
Oct 2012
eso18 said:
If that happens then in the future when considering the question, why Germany lost the second world war, we can answer.

It's the first world war, not second. As for the Loli, just watch, there is FAR more to her than you can believe.
Jan 7, 2017 12:10 PM

Sep 2010
The cd drama that skythewood translated was a better adaptation than this anime episode. They don't explain all but they explain more in 3 minutes than this episode.
Jan 7, 2017 12:41 PM
May 2016
The animation was better than I expected!

and I expect for the scenes to go along like the manga did, but it didn't so.... I think it's a bit confusing for a first episode
Jan 7, 2017 1:05 PM
Dec 2016
Animation was all right for a first episode, and soundtrack was good enough for hype. A solid start imo.

Visha's design looked terrible when I first saw it but didn't end up being that bad animated. Bit disorienting. The girls' lashes are also uncomfortably thick, but that's just me being picky with aesthetics.

I'm predicting this will end up around fine/average if they cut out that much and maintain the current animation quality. Looking forward to next episode.
Jan 7, 2017 1:35 PM

Apr 2013
eso18 said:
Well the show is average at best as anime always fails to deliver proper second world war show.

I remember hating on a similar show some time ago where another world war series got mess up by addition of magic girls doing magical things.

Still while last time it was truly a magic girl who fought for friendship and love and played the hero, like typical magic girl does, this time we get the psychopath loli.

Watching anime just so see psychopath loli killing things both allies and enemies alike (especially allies), maybe I can watch the series just for that. What's more this time the plot is from "Germany" perspective, so maybe we will see them winning the second world war with the power of psychopath loli. That would be a nice twist.

If that happens then in the future when considering the question, why Germany lost the second world war , we can answer.

*sigh* this is why peoples who don't know a thing about 20th century warfare shouldn't post and judge like they're competent (you're not the only one at all btw so don't worry about being singled out).
Anyone with even a SMALL BIT of knowledge about modern warfare would know this is picturing WW1 and NOT WW2.
-The weapons are accurate representations of WW1 weapons. Including artillery pieces, btw.
-The uniforms are accurate representations of WW1 uniforms. At the very least anyone with a bit of knowledge should be able to recognise the pointy helmet of the germany uniform AND the red and blue uniforms of the french army as such. There is absolutely no way to confuse such massive hint at which war it's depicting with hints for WW2, even if you're not knowledgeable about weapons and the like.
-The trenches warfare itself. Oh boy this is even worse than not noticing the uniforms. Trenches warfare in WW2, seriously?

BTW now that it's said, let's forget about your mistake and just talk about what you pointed out.
This is probably the most accurate anime on modern warfare I ever saw. That's just plain impressive what they did with this one, I wasn't expecting that from that new studio. Yes, I know, magic and loli. Just ignore that and look at the rest, the ambiance, the scenery, the tactics; the uniforms, the weapons, the movements, the alliances, the buildings and military camps, and the like.
No matter if they mess the adaptation itself, they at the very least deserve a thumbs up on the work they did on that. Youjo Senki is a very high level of knowledge for a military novel when you compare with what you usually get in a "military" novel, so I'm quite happy that the studio respected that fact and went all out about being accurate visually for military.
If only we didn't had those weird hairdos, that would have been perfect.
ZefyrisJan 7, 2017 1:42 PM
Jan 7, 2017 1:45 PM

Oct 2013
I dont care about the differences to the LN, but man, the first episode was kinda interesting and makes me wanna read the damn LN <3
Jan 7, 2017 1:48 PM

Jun 2012
Pretty cool looking anime, i really like WW1 settings, and it is interesting to see protagonists fighting on not Kaiser Germany side
Jan 7, 2017 2:52 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
HaXXspetten said:
Well I'm not quite sure what to make of this but it sure was fun to watch at least :>

Also gets some originality points if nothing else

Certainly, but I wouldnt know where was this situated, if I had not readed other posts, seems like we will be getting WW1.

What caught my attention is that the girl was supposed to be evil, and I was most the episode thinking she was not really evil, but oh boy those last seconds, that face...

Other than seeing loli evil OP girl going crazy, I dont really know what to expect from this series, but it is certainly different, which makes it at least interesting.

Maybe I will give the LN a change later on, but it is only translated till vol 1, and there seems to be 5 volumes currently.
Jan 7, 2017 3:11 PM

Apr 2013
Playcool said:
HaXXspetten said:
Well I'm not quite sure what to make of this but it sure was fun to watch at least :>

Also gets some originality points if nothing else

Certainly, but I wouldnt know where was this situated, if I had not readed other posts, seems like we will be getting WW1.

What caught my attention is that the girl was supposed to be evil, and I was most the episode thinking she was not really evil, but oh boy those last seconds, that face...

Other than seeing loli evil OP girl going crazy, I dont really know what to expect from this series, but it is certainly different, which makes it at least interesting.

Maybe I will give the LN a change later on, but it is only translated till vol 1, and there seems to be 5 volumes currently.

7 volumes currently.
Tanya isn't really evil btw. Devil is the name the enemy gave to her, but her allies see her as an extremely reliable ally and very competent officer.
....And as a bloody warmonger, as well.
Jan 7, 2017 3:47 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Zefyris said:
Playcool said:

7 volumes currently.
Tanya isn't really evil btw. Devil is the name the enemy gave to her, but her allies see her as an extremely reliable ally and very competent officer.
....And as a bloody warmonger, as well.

I see, but that goes against the intentions the show is supposed to make us see, with that ending, then again, it maybe on purpose, trying to fool us she is evil, when maybe it is just her shell that she uses to protect herself from "suffering".
I m going with, she is kinda ruthless, for now.
Jan 7, 2017 4:11 PM

Jul 2016
Not bad for a first episode.
Really good animation and soundtracks, and I'm liking that loli captain (recognized that Tatsumaki voice right away!)

Also that grin at the end was pretty badass tbh. Looking forward to the next episode!

‏‏‎ ‎

「‏‏‎ artist‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ don't forget to wear your‏‏‎ mask‏‏‎ 」

「‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ 」
Jan 7, 2017 4:24 PM
Apr 2011
Zefyris said:

Tanya isn't really evil btw.

wait wat. this girl can't even crack a smile until someone's dead. and she's scaring big eyes girl with that look on her face at the end.
Jan 7, 2017 4:53 PM

May 2013
7/10

Interesting first episode. I really dislike the brown haired girl a lot. It bothers me that this girl is so extraordinary poor drawn. Other than that, i really like Tanya and the animations are fine. Let's see how it goes from here.
Read my most recent reviews!

“You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”

— Ging Freecss
Jan 7, 2017 6:06 PM

Apr 2013
FononZero said:
Zefyris said:

Tanya isn't really evil btw.

wait wat. this girl can't even crack a smile until someone's dead. and she's scaring big eyes girl with that look on her face at the end.

Even so, she isn't evil.
She's definitely not good, but she's on gray territory, neither evil nor good.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2017

209 by lazypanda666 »»
Yesterday, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2017

218 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 25, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

313 by RGreatDanton »»
Apr 24, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2017

291 by Phixiately »»
Apr 24, 8:26 AM

Poll: » Youjo Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2017

147 by Phixiately »»
Apr 22, 9:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.