Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Apr 21, 2015 7:59 AM

Aug 2014
Hah, this anime and its weirdness. I really admire the creativity, it's a colorful and compelling world. The episode was pretty enjoyable, Klaus really is a Beast (badum-tss) doing everything he can even for a bit of information, and saving that human. How do you even last 99 hours playing a game, though? I guess in the alterworld Chief's ''dimension'' primal needs aren't take into account.

I would like to know more about ghost girl.

5/5
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Apr 21, 2015 8:00 AM
Apr 2014
Lyrisia said:
Red_Tuesday said:

There's no forced exposition, no lame "Plot reminder" monologues or characters talking to themselves, no sacrificial lamb characters, no grimace super-closeups, the world is unique, it's not 100% driven by only action, takes the time for character development and over all is just much more intelligent and engaging than the vast majority of action anime.

Character development? Sorry no offense but I really don't see much character development here...

Yeah I guess this episode was really a waste, I mean it gave us a deeper look into Klaus's character and his philosophy. Who needs that I mean a episode that tries to develop a character is meaningless.

No offense but this is why we mostly get Anime that spoonfeed its audience. Like if you didn't see any character development in this episode or even episode 2 when Leo used his ability to overcome his physical weakness then I have nothing to say to you.
Apr 21, 2015 10:19 AM
Jan 2014
That's it folks. This is my most favorite show this season.

Epic OSTs.

Needs more Ghost girl tho.
Apr 21, 2015 11:36 AM

Jan 2012
AquaWateria said:
Lyrisia said:

Character development? Sorry no offense but I really don't see much character development here...

Yeah I guess this episode was really a waste, I mean it gave us a deeper look into Klaus's character and his philosophy. Who needs that I mean a episode that tries to develop a character is meaningless.

No offense but this is why we mostly get Anime that spoonfeed its audience. Like if you didn't see any character development in this episode or even episode 2 when Leo used his ability to overcome his physical weakness then I have nothing to say to you.

You don't need to be so aggressive... I was just wondering... I guess I just don't consider what you described as character development but more of an introduction...
Anyway don't wish to debate on this any further...
Apr 21, 2015 12:12 PM

May 2012
How can people enjoy this anime ?

It was boring and I didn't even understand what is going on. I mean what is the main objective or goal ? I still don't know what is the story is about !! (that if we assume that this anime have a story)
Apr 21, 2015 12:21 PM
Apr 2014
thepath said:

It was boring and I didn't even understand what is going on. I mean what is the objective or goal ?

No offense but everything was shown clearly. The point of the episode was to gather Intel about a drug which is why Klaus plays chess with the Demon in the episode. This is how Libra gathers information when they are out of options. Plus it also delved deep into Klaus's character. We are also given information about White and how she's a ghost who's been living in the hospital and her brother.

People enjoy this series because they actually pay attention or actually take their time to understand things. This series isn't confusing as you make it out to be, it provides the information through showing rather than telling.
Apr 21, 2015 12:26 PM

Oct 2008
on my own words, I call it hyperChess.
Klaus is their mighty b0ss! of course he could pull it off in just 99 hours. haha so many cigar butts!

Apr 21, 2015 5:32 PM

Aug 2014
Looks like the next episode is going to have a lot of s***t going down ^///^
Apr 21, 2015 5:45 PM

Aug 2013
thepath said:

It was boring and I didn't even understand what is going on. I mean what is the main objective or goal ? I still don't know what is the story is about !! (that if we assume that this anime have a story)

Definitely an underwhelming episode with many aspects unexplained, especially with regards to the complications provided to Libra by the Angel Scale drug ordeal. Too little was shown, which lead to that entire Prosfair match feeling unneeded as well as lacking in weight and subsance.

Also, this show will actually be episodic, so I don't expect much of the things introduced within this episode to be touched upon again.
However, do expect the protagonist Leonardo's story to be overarching. He does need to save his sister somehow.
Apr 21, 2015 7:48 PM
Apr 2013
still meh
Apr 21, 2015 9:56 PM

Mar 2014
This is the kind of episode that you'll have to re-watch again later to understand 80% of what just happened.
Even with how confusing it was though, it was still a fun ride~
Apr 22, 2015 1:23 AM

Apr 2015
I really enjoyed this episode. The show is quickly becoming one of my favorites this season with its great soundtrack, visuals and interesting characters. I especially like Zapp, he has me laughing my head off almost every episode with his whacky antics and interactions with Leonardo. The introduction of K.K this episode was nice, thought she was really interesting and her relationship with Klaus interests me.

The OP and ED are still bloody awesome.
Apr 22, 2015 5:25 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful animation and catchy song, the game was good. Klaus is still impressing.
Apr 22, 2015 5:44 AM

Dec 2013
Dropped.

The show is wacky for the sake of wackiness and the only thing it has to show beneath all that wackiness is a "human world crossed over with supernatural world" plot that has been done a million times before.

This episode was the worst by far, as it focuses entirely on a fictional board game whose rules are left completely unexplained to the viewer.
How am supposed to feel engaged when the mental duel between the characters could very well be complete nonsense as far as i know?
Character development? Yes please, but without disengaging the viewer from half the experience, please.
The other episodes had at least some action going for them, this was just dull.

Show has good music tho, will not deny that.
Apr 22, 2015 11:36 AM
Jun 2013
so...can someone explain to me how the ghost girl found/suspected that he has "good" eyes? Is it just because he can see her?

I think my real question here is, what exactly the meaning is of the last picture she saw on the camera.

The only picture with her on, that we see early on is 24/72, whereas another picture of the gravestones (the last one she sees before putting the camera away) is 54/72, so it's another picture with nothing on it? Or did he take multiple pictures of her?
Apr 22, 2015 12:43 PM

Jun 2013
dat OST man amazing and a game of chess huh?!
Apr 22, 2015 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
Other than the music in the match this was seriously boring.
Apr 22, 2015 6:26 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, really enjoyed how interesting this episode was! Great creativity with the art and of course the music continues to amaze me ... what better to listen to than some Beethoven during an intense game like that? :P Obviously the main focus of this episode was Klaus playing that game against Arlelelle and trying to save Ulchenko as well. Dang, that seems like a legit game ... evolving as it progresses eh? O_O Plus he's been playing it for a thousand years and Klaus STILL manages to hold his own?! Dang, maybe he's the real monster ...
Well, so they end up finding the source of that new drug going around. Leo gets kicked out of his place and his friendly ghost sure seems to be sticking around ... does she know about his eyes I wonder? I thought Leo was gonna ask about her older brother as well ... hmm, we shall see :O
Apr 22, 2015 9:13 PM

Mar 2013
This anime is weirdly interesting and amazing in a way o.o
I'm so glad I caught up :)
Apr 23, 2015 1:00 AM

Jul 2014
Malfegor said:

This isn't shounenshit. In the future, at least read what genres and demographics a series has before wasting your time on something you don't have the basic potential to appreciate.
Apr 23, 2015 2:40 AM

Aug 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
Malfegor said:
Dropped.

The show is wacky for the sake of wackiness and the only thing it has to show beneath all that wackiness is a "human world crossed over with supernatural world" plot that has been done a million times before.

This episode was the worst by far, as it focuses entirely on a fictional board game whose rules are left completely unexplained to the viewer.
How am supposed to feel engaged when the mental duel between the characters could very well be complete nonsense as far as i know?
Character development? Yes please, but without disengaging the viewer from half the experience, please.

This isn't shounenshit. In the future, at least read what genres and demographics a series has before wasting your time on something you don't have the basic potential to appreciate.

Talk about cherry-picking from someone's comment.
Apr 23, 2015 3:15 AM

Dec 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
Malfegor said:

Oh yes, i am sure Kekkai Sensen is the pinnacle of depth and maturity this medium has to offer, i am simply too dumb to appreciate it.

StevenHu said:

Talk about cherry-picking from someone's comment.

Yep.
Nevermind the fact that the action was one of the few things i praised.
Apr 23, 2015 12:12 PM

Nov 2012
The one problem I have with Kekkai Sensen is that I COMPLETELY ADORE the characters and the artstyle (I'm also pretty weak for "Ragtag Bunch of Misfits" organisations in anime), but sometimes the drama and voice acting feels so forced I really don't know how to feel about the show in general.

For one thing I squealed over Leo's cuteness (him and Zap are already a BrOTP haha), but then i couldn't stand Klaus' seiyuu or get his sudden dramatic relationship with the blonde lad.
Can anyone tell me if it was like this in the manga?
Apr 23, 2015 12:20 PM

Nov 2012
Malfegor said:
Dropped.

Agree completely (though i think I'm going to give it another episode or two). But I was mostly bothered by the fact that we were thrown into drama and tension without ANY PROPER BUILDUP WHATSOEVER
Apr 23, 2015 2:03 PM

Apr 2012
The anime is still confusing but I like the characters. Although this episode was pretty boring. :/
Apr 23, 2015 7:47 PM
Apr 2014
Helbram said:
Malfegor said:
Dropped.

Agree completely (though i think I'm going to give it another episode or two). But I was mostly bothered by the fact that we were thrown into drama and tension without ANY PROPER BUILDUP WHATSOEVER

While I understand your complaint the point of the episode was to show Klaus's character and his philosophy. And how Libra gets their information and what the Alter world looks like. It really wasn't about drama let alone forced.

Still I don't know what this reasoning behind it being forced. To me it's one of the very few shows this season that has personality and expresses that without restraint rather than being forced.
Apr 24, 2015 2:04 AM

Apr 2013
This episode gave real insight into Klaus' character, I would hardly call this episode a waste of time nor trying to be random for the sake of random.

Looking forward to more, this show has the potential to be really great.
Powerful eyebrows.
Apr 24, 2015 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
Apr 24, 2015 9:53 AM

Oct 2007
Red_Tuesday said:
This show man, it's freaking fantastic right now. It doesn't patronize the viewer, doesn't force itself to let action drive the plot when it's not necessary, the soundtrack reeks of class, and the world is spectacularly detailed and vibrant.

Best anime action-labeled show I've ever seen.

Yep hence why I like it. It takes a very different approach than just about anything else airing right now yet doesn't suffer for it cause it just kind of works as opposed to it feeling like it's just been done for the sheer gimmickry of it and to bide time. Another show this season tries to take a similar sort of a approach in Punchline but just kind of ends up falling flat on it's face because it just feels like it has nothing to really offer in the long run and is also nowhere even remotely close to as funny or clever as it thinks it is while Kekkai Sensen IMO does what it does kind of effortlessly. That's the sign of a good director and team that is talented and works well together and off of each other as opposed to one that is just slapped together with one person clearly meant to act as the centerpiece attraction. I always like to say you can tell when a general staff is enjoying working on a show and that seems to be the case here.
Apr 24, 2015 11:31 AM

Feb 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Another show this season tries to take a similar sort of a approach in Punchline but just kind of ends up falling flat on it's face because it just feels like it has nothing to really offer in the long run and is also nowhere even remotely close to as funny or clever as it thinks it is while Kekkai Sensen IMO does what it does kind of effortlessly.

And that's what makes Kekkai Sensen more of a chore to watch. Punchline is at least fun to mock in how bad it is and the action actually looks cool in that due to the fact that it has actual choreography and impact when people get hit. Kekkai Sensen executes what it's doing well, but the actual thing it's executing is all plot and no story. Either give me a story or be worse so that I can make fun of you. If you're in the middle-ground, what am I supposed to get out of you aside from a unique visual style that doesn't really appeal to me personally?
I Write About Anime (and other stuff) At Standing On My Neck
Apr 24, 2015 1:09 PM
Apr 2014
Flawfinder said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Another show this season tries to take a similar sort of a approach in Punchline but just kind of ends up falling flat on it's face because it just feels like it has nothing to really offer in the long run and is also nowhere even remotely close to as funny or clever as it thinks it is while Kekkai Sensen IMO does what it does kind of effortlessly.

And that's what makes Kekkai Sensen more of a chore to watch. Punchline is at least fun to mock in how bad it is and the action actually looks cool in that due to the fact that it has actual choreography and impact when people get hit. Kekkai Sensen executes what it's doing well, but the actual thing it's executing is all plot and no story. Either give me a story or be worse so that I can make fun of you. If you're in the middle-ground, what am I supposed to get out of you aside from a unique visual style that doesn't really appeal to me personally?

I disagree with this notion. I mean when do we ever get a series that focuses on Worldbuilding and its characters, not that much actually. I rather have a series that focuses on its characters and the world they live in than have a story that turns to shit because most often or not stories turn downhill in many series. What Kekkai Sensen does is focuses on its characters and the Worldbuilding which is why it's lively and engaging. The characters all have personality and makes the series enjoyable to watch. Punchline falls flat because the direction isn't as strong as it could be plus the jokes are meh.
Apr 24, 2015 3:06 PM

Nov 2012
AquaWateria said:
Helbram said:

While I understand your complaint the point of the episode was to show Klaus's character and his philosophy. And how Libra gets their information and what the Alter world looks like. It really wasn't about drama let alone forced.

Still I don't know what this reasoning behind it being forced. To me it's one of the very few shows this season that has personality and expresses that without restraint rather than being forced.

I meant that this felt more like an episode that should have been placed half-way through a two-cour (when you'd gotten to know and connect to the characters). I'm not a manga reader for this show and didn't know about the blonde lad ( + Klaus had barely appeared, yet spoken, for more than two minutes in total prior to this episode). So when they just suddenly got all touchy feely and the whole "Good Lord he's about to die!" kicked in I had no clue how to react.
It would have been a completely different thing if it had been Zap(?) or Leo since we have actually gotten some screen time and character development from them

Then we have this thing where Klaus reaches the underworld and starts screaming at an unintroduced character, acting as though we (anime-only watchers) are supposed to know him. I felt no tension or suspense building up, even though i guess i should have, I just got confused and started to wonder if I had missed something

Even though I adore the characters, the plot concept (with the eyes / organisation / setting) and the artstyle it still always feels like the tension/suspense is missing
HelbramApr 25, 2015 6:21 AM
Apr 24, 2015 11:28 PM

Jul 2010
Malfegor said:
Dropped.

Agreed. Love the OP, but the show is plain boring.
Apr 25, 2015 12:07 AM

Jan 2015
damn the ED is so funky I can skip the whole animu just to watch it
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Apr 25, 2015 3:28 AM

Dec 2010
This anime just doesn't let you let your guard down, thinking you've already seen just how crazy can things get, haha.

Flawfinder said:
Tapping my fingers waiting impatiently for some sort of story to appear. It's been three episodes. Quit hinting at the plot and actually start it now, please.
There are hints to a plot?
Apr 25, 2015 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
I expected a lot more eventful episode, in fact, I would expect that you were talking about the new girl met by the protagonist; but there was a change of situation really sudden and almost unexpected, oh well! I'm not disappointed because there was something new, but we have seen very little in this episode, but maybe the elements seen today will serve in the future to build the plot, so I can be satisfied.
Very nice opening and ending, as well as the soundtrack really catchy. The sets are superb, I'm happy.
Apr 25, 2015 10:26 AM

Dec 2013
I swear the moment someone mentioned Cowboy Bebop, something clicked in my mind. So THAT's why it feels so nostalgically familiar!

Loving this show to bits!
Klause is such a badass. He went toe to toe with a Demon Don for 99 friggin hours! That's FOUR whole days without sleep! Small wonder he was hemorrhaging through his nose by then.... That game was better than anything they could come up with in NGNL.

White is decent, and K.K. is fine as heck, but to be perfectly honest it seems this show does a great job promoting ALL their gals. I love Chain when she appeared crouching on Zapps hand, specially after Zapp suffocated Leo like the nutter he is.

Want to know what significance White will have on Leo, and whether we'll get to see her brother soon. I get the feeling that he'll be somewhat important a character, despite how they so casually referenced him in.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 25, 2015 9:45 PM

Apr 2014
I have no idea what I was watching..
Apr 27, 2015 1:06 PM

Oct 2013
Klaus IS a fucking bause!!!!! that game wth I haven't seen this pisce in a long time O_O
ghost girl was a cutie <3
good episode I guess >.> angel what ??
[/quote]
Apr 29, 2015 5:19 AM

Jan 2012
I wanted to be nice to this series but it's kinda hard when they introduce a new character in between episodes, only to drop the event seconds in and then focus on some f*cked up chess match that I couldn't begin to bother trying to comprehend.
Apr 29, 2015 7:22 AM

Jul 2008
This series has got me hyped everytime I watched a new episode :D love everything in this one :)
Apr 29, 2015 3:57 PM

Aug 2013
EPIC episode! Never tought I would like this kind of calm episode.
I NEED to know that " The world goes round..." song name fast :)
You're gonna carry that weight.
May 1, 2015 7:57 PM

Feb 2015
This ep is creepy in a good way! Especially when the russian got out of the chamber looking like a sucky zombie.
While some people may complain of its absurdity, it's actually a fun show. I'm really immersed in the world and storyline. The characters are just as funky as they should be.
May 2, 2015 7:18 AM

Jun 2008
Still feeling that something is missing..
May 2, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2015
Chibi-Alice said:
Still feeling that something is missing..

What is it that bothers you alice-kun?
May 4, 2015 12:46 PM

Jul 2014
The show is very pretty, but in this ep there are too many things I don't like.

I dislike dramtic table top games in my visual mediums in most cases.

Why did they need to make that guy a former USSR citizen? Can we skip the usual evil soviets part? Also they threw him in solely to humiliate and be a bad foil, which isn't nice. It's a cheap way of characterization. (Like, the part about asking to kill Klaus was unnecessary and overdramatic.)

The Libra crew is too awesome. And it is bad. It's so childish, when a crew consists only of the very best and the very unique. Things just don't work this way. I mean, dream teams are everywhere in fiction, and even in life you can gather top proffesionals, but even the best tend to have ceilings. I prefer when there's a variety of levels with mostly defined abilites/room for growth.

Very pretty though. And mostly good music.
May 5, 2015 9:58 AM

Jul 2012
Helbram said:
Malfegor said:
Dropped.

thank you!
I'll give it some more episodes as I dont exactly dislike the characters but they are throwing a bunch of stuff at us every episode just out of nowhere...
I mentioned that I didn't dislike the characters but I don't really care about them either because the show's all over the place most of the time.
Still this episode was the best for me so far...
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
May 12, 2015 7:49 PM

Feb 2015
Somehow... the show isn't as interesting anymore. I think I'll drop it.
May 15, 2015 8:54 PM

Jul 2010
Best episode of the whole season, hands down.

"hurr durr they didn't show any action, where is the plot ))): and cute girls doing cute things where are they sniff"

Episodic series are so damn underrated, and the funny thing is that this episode wasn't even that episodic, comparable to what would be an episodic of Cowboy Bebop, but that's CB right? So it's okay if he does it. I just love hipocrisy.

If any of you thinks this episode was bad, I think you should really reconsider your common sense. The story didn't advanced too much, that's true but it's not that important how you think. Visually and musically speaking this episode was top notch, I don't know who directed this episode but they really should be proud of it.

If only half of the anime of the season had 1/15 of this beautiful direction and creativity they could easily beat whatever they want.
May 20, 2015 3:33 AM

Jun 2010
After 3 episodes all this show comes across to me as is gimmicky and superficial. Worldbuilding? It's like taking a bunch of ideas and throwing them in a blender and calling it worldbuilding. Character development? I could tell Klaus was the stoic honorable one from the first episode. Characters are quirky but very flat so far.

I love the argument that people who don't like this just don't have the capacity to understand it and are probably used to formulaic garbage. It's stylish and fun and I get enjoying it because I enjoy a lot of things that I'd admit are objectively not hot stuff. But calling it deep and smart makes me raise an eyebrow.
bang-bangMay 20, 2015 10:43 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

345 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 21, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2015

197 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 18, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

357 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 17, 7:57 AM

» Kekkai sensei OP and ED are true music to me. Thank you

DatajI - Mar 9

1 by LENDARIO_DS »»
Mar 13, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2015

118 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 6, 3:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.