Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2015 8:45 AM
Apr 2014
This episode was basically to show how Libra obtain their Intel if they can't find it anywhere else. Klaus obtains it from the Demon in the Alter World. In a way it's setting up of what's to come in the next episode because it's gonna have action in it. A new type of foe is gonna be introduced and it will be much more serious.

While the series may seem episodic, it isn't completely as there are plot points that connect.
Apr 19, 2015 9:04 AM

Sep 2014
Only episode 3, and they give us 4 amazimg fu*king songs!!!!!
Apr 19, 2015 9:50 AM

Aug 2014
Klaus is a freaking badass!!! 99 hours playing is not for everyone, especially against arlelelle and in that super tense atmosphere.
The songs are so awesome!!!!!!!
Can't get enough of the ED and OP!!!
One of the best anime of this season without a doubt <3
Apr 19, 2015 9:57 AM

Dec 2013
I loved the soundtrack this episode. When they were going to that "underground base" the soundtrack was a bit creepy but cool as hell.

I wish I had a boss like Klaus, I love people like him.
Eh
Apr 19, 2015 9:58 AM
Mar 2013
Would love to get a handle for Prosfair, looks like a pretty badass game...
Apr 19, 2015 10:44 AM

Nov 2014
99 hours.. woah
Apr 19, 2015 10:50 AM

May 2013
The OST and the visuals are simply off the charts!
God, Klaus is a beast! Who the heck can play Prosfair for 99 freakin' hours?
No wonder Klaus is badass.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Apr 19, 2015 11:09 AM

May 2013
Lichtspiel said:
I don't understand why this anime has such a "low" rating. It's something different and freh, I really enjoy the music and the comedy of this anime. The chess game was really interesting, I'd like to know the rules. Apparently, it affecty your phyisal condition as well...Klaus even started bleeding x.x

I am really liking this show too, but I can easily understand why some people may not rate the show very high. It can be chaotic and stylized to the extreme, which in itself entertains a fairly niche crowd and, subsequently, disenchants the rest. Other shows that make it far because of how original, stylized, and even at times chaotic they are usually tone it down in some way to make room for a plot. This show is fun in that it hasn't done so yet. The fact that this show has 3 episodes so far without any substantial main plot is disconcerting to anyone looking for that, so once again this will target an even more selective crowd than before. At least that's how I see it. There are probably many other reasons why someone may not like the show, even all the same ones that would pertain to any other anime (i.e. personal preferences.) So, some people may find the show classy and stylish while someone else finds it boring as hell. That is individuality at work.
Apr 19, 2015 12:28 PM

Sep 2013
I would totally buy those wall paintings XD
Prosfair need to be real game.
And that angel drug, I wonder if the big shots will come out soon.
Apr 19, 2015 12:40 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
An odd, yet very intriguing episode, seeing how the alterworld dealings work and such.

The episode was accompanied by some more awesome music as well.

I really like this shows style. It's just so.... Cool. I also can't wait to see more of the cute ghost girl.
Apr 19, 2015 12:48 PM
Mar 2008
Seriously, why are you so desperate for a plot to slap you in the face. I bet that if I go to the Rinne forum I will surely find the same nags. The narrative is very situational and its good because it does allow you to watch it at your own pace. Just enjoy and let the visuals and sound come to you.
Apr 19, 2015 1:24 PM
Jan 2015
This episode seemedd quite pointless, although the animation was fantastic and I would really like to know the rules of that game :D
Apr 19, 2015 2:20 PM

Jan 2008
Wow, this episode was actually quite stylish...it reminded me of Space Dandy with all the alien and surrealist stuff.

This show is not what I expected, since I thought it would be a super-power action show, but it seems more philosophical, which can be a good thing if executed well.

In either case, I'm curious how it will turn out.
Apr 19, 2015 3:08 PM

Apr 2014
A welcome slow down after the more battle centric first two episodes, yet it still retained the intensity of the latter. We didn't get a lot of information about the game but it looked very interesting. I was wondering if the time flows differently where they were playing the game. It seems weird that K.K. and the other guy were patiently waiting there for 99 hours without sleeping, drinking or eating.
Ghost girl didn't get a lot of screen time but i'm guessing she's will play an important part in the plot later
I also like to mention that the visual direction in this episode was top notch, especially during the game of Prosfair. It just looked amazing.
Apr 19, 2015 3:17 PM

Aug 2010
DrummerX09 said:
Anime of the season.
Apr 19, 2015 4:22 PM

Jan 2014
It was OK.
feels meh the whole episode is wired as hell ending up with a chess like game , this anime is so confusing kind of no plot at all.
Apr 19, 2015 5:07 PM

Aug 2008
This episode really captured me!! I find it very entertaining whether musically or visually! :)
Apr 19, 2015 5:09 PM

Sep 2011
this was essentially no game no life if i actually enjoyed it

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 19, 2015 5:12 PM

Feb 2013
I love the atmosphere of this show, but it's still hard to tell what's going on sometimes. I think it needs to find a balance between "style" and "story" if it wants to succeed.
Apr 19, 2015 5:47 PM

Dec 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
This show man, it's freaking fantastic right now. It doesn't patronize the viewer, doesn't force itself to let action drive the plot when it's not necessary, the soundtrack reeks of class, and the world is spectacularly detailed and vibrant.

Best anime action-labeled show I've ever seen.

Indeed. Too many shows nowadays try to force action where there simply doesn't need to be. I too really enjoyed this episode, perhaps because Klaus was the focus of this one. I mean, its one thing to beat people with your fists, but to put your line on the line in a highly complex, 99 hour long game of chess against a creature who has been playing over 1200 years really deserves some props.
Apr 19, 2015 7:27 PM

May 2013
That Prosfair game looked pretty damn hard. Well, got to leave it to the pros for playing for 99 hours. Klaus was pretty damn awesome even when blood was spilling out of his nose.
Apr 19, 2015 8:17 PM

Mar 2015
Gods, I'm enjoying this show so much.

While I can understand why lots of ppl have problems with it, esp about the lack of a solid plotline and the "excessive stylization", those are things i actually like about Kekkai Sensen. I guess it's a matter of personal preference? mm

And I do believe you can grasp lots of information about the world overall, not only visually but mainly from the dialogues. Yes, it's pretty subtle and it's not that much, but its enough for me, at least for now.

The way the scenes are presented--- man, i'm loving it a lot. Seriously.
Apr 19, 2015 10:17 PM

Oct 2013
My enjoyment for this anime is too damn high.
Apr 19, 2015 10:21 PM

Apr 2015
Ahhh I liked the first two episodes but what's with these long and slow dialogues in every show this season? I know they're trying to tell the story but there were some pretty unnecessary dialogues.
And no, I didn't think the animation was any good, it was average tbh, maybe it's just because I don't like flashy animations and I'm more into dark edgy stuff. But the studio was a bit sloppy, you gotta admit.
Oh and the idea of the Prosfair game was interesting but quite poorly executed I think, it was a bit boring. Anyway, I'm still looking forward to more of the "story" itself since I feel like it's very scattered and messy, but it's got enough potential to keep watching.
Next episode looks promising though, definitely watching.
Apr 19, 2015 10:27 PM

Aug 2013
That was intense game. Especially when they're most likely playing this prosfair game against some demon with like unlimited stamina, so it's basically a losing battle.

Eyepatch girl looks kind of cool, hopefully she gets more screen time. I'd ship Klaus and her.

WE NEED MORE WHITE!!!

Apparently she's anime only? According to what everyone on here is saying. Shame, since I wanted to wiki her and find out more.

Hope that just means they're going to give her lots of screen time and development. And then we can get a Leo x White ship.

No White No Life.
Apr 20, 2015 1:19 AM

Dec 2013
I'm not sure what this episode tried to achieve, I had to skip back several times and I still don't really get what Klaus was doing other than playing some not-really-but-similar-to-chess chess game.
Apr 20, 2015 8:14 AM
Oct 2013
Lichtspiel said:
I don't understand why this anime has such a "low" rating. It's something different and freh, I really enjoy the music and the comedy of this anime. The chess game was really interesting, I'd like to know the rules. Apparently, it affecty your phyisal condition as well...Klaus even started bleeding x.x

It does not affect your physical condition. They just went straight for 99 hours. The game also gets more difficult as it progresses. It's like playing AI chess master whose difficulty gets exponentially harder by each hour. A normal person would have died before the first 24 hours. Look at that Top Prosfair Human Player, didn't even last a day and he looked like a twig after the match.

Lichtspiel said:

Exactly. Great OP and ED. Great cinematography. I guess MAL users doesn't like these types of anime.
Apr 20, 2015 8:28 AM

Dec 2014
play a chess 99 hours? I'm proud with Klaus for just saving someone live

i laugh when Klaus playing that chess/ "Prosfair" on computer that's very funny
Apr 20, 2015 8:54 AM

Aug 2014
What we've learned here.

Make detailed colorful & pale contrast background art in strange positions.

Throw in some convoluted dialogue between characters we don't understand, as well as abstract philosophy.

Play classical music.

=Masterpiece...... no structure needed.

This show sucks. lol. Enjoy the rest of this nonsense.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Apr 20, 2015 9:14 AM

Jan 2012
Didn't like it at all... felt like the plot was just jumping here and there without much explanation...

Nothing about the ghost girl... Angel thing? Then suddenly game without knowing how it works... then that russian guy becomes all gray.. Like what is the environment of the game sucking their energy?

ooh well it's just not thing...
Apr 20, 2015 9:46 AM

Jan 2013
It's just astonishing that some people really believe this anime is convoluted, ffs.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 20, 2015 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
Midgardsorm said:
Wasn't that good. The show is still too chaotic.

That's the point. Anything can happen in their world.

The cinematography also displays that it can be chaotic from the MANY different angles they use. The music really compliments the show as well.

Really fun series so far.
Apr 20, 2015 11:39 AM

Nov 2014
Alright episode, showing how awesome Klaus is even though he is not my fav.

Zapp sitting on Leonardo was hilarious :p
Apr 20, 2015 12:40 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Splendid art and soundtrack. This show oozes style. I'm still not 100% sold on the story, but that may still come. This show's a keeper this season for me.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 20, 2015 1:01 PM
Aug 2012
Yep, liking the show...

But to be honest, that entire chess-game reeks of laziness to me.
Anyone can take an already existing game, add a bunch more boards to it and spout random phrases making it sound like things are actually going on in the game...

They really didn't explain anything about the game at all, nothing about the mechanics or the rules is explained, it looks like Chess so we have to assume it is Chess, except they added a bunch of random words and a bunch of new boards to it, it can also apparently last for 99 hours...

Still a good episode, managed to establish who Klaus is properly and I'd salute it just for that, also very surprised by how effective their world-building is. Nothing is explained about it, it's up to the viewer to pick up on how that world works, and it shows it pretty well in the backgrounds most of the time.
Apr 20, 2015 2:03 PM
Jul 2018
I can't help it but I find this boring and confusing. Characters are being thrown at me from all sides without much introduction.
I laughed when Leonardo-kun stoped breathing ahah
I liked the spanish song and how that watch resembles Prague's astronomical watch (I'm sure that's where they got the inspiration).
I'm going to stick up with this show but I think it's the worst this season (of the ones I'm watching, excluding shorts).
removed-userApr 21, 2015 11:42 AM
Apr 20, 2015 2:52 PM

Sep 2014
And I thought things couldn't get much more confusing! I guess you're not meant to ask too many questions or try to understand what's going on too hard, right? This seems like Rule of Cool taken to the extreme. lol

I mean, 10 hours of chess in a psychedelic environment followed by 99 hours of even more chess... while people stand outside waiting for the match to finish? Does time just flow faster in that room or something? I can't see any other possible explanation and the show didn't attempt to clear that up either. I wouldn't mind the chaotic style of the show if things were properly explained. I wonder if the manga is also confusing like this.

Also, why did Klaus begin to bleed during the match? Shit like this just happens and you're left wondering why... so weird haha

I don't know why they don't even try to explain things a little. There's no need for long infodumps, just briefly mentioning that time flows slower in the room and why Klaus began to bleed would have been great. I think this show could be much more enjoyable if they paid a little more attention to that. It's not like things making sense would make it less chaotic, but that would just make it all more logical and therefore more belivable.

Blankbite said:
Lichtspiel said:

Exactly. Great OP and ED. Great cinematography. I guess MAL users doesn't like these types of anime.

I believe it's because it's too confusing and all over the place.

Like, that girl jumps on the mc, then the mc is in a really psychedelic room that makes you ask yourself what the hell is going on, then suddenly hq, chess game that you don't understand which lasts for days but people wait outside like it was only a few minutes, then you see the girl again and you stil know nothing about her.

It's all over the place, but very little is explained. It's hard to find a connection between these 3 episodes because there isn't a clear focus in the plot. Is there actually a connection between the events? I'm not sure. Most things seem completely unrelated. If something important was actually explained, it seemed so brief and irrelevant that I just don't remember anymore.

There are several cool things and I won't deny that they got that right. The problem is that it seems like an extremely chaotic version of the Rule of Cool. It's like a text written in beautiful middle English (e.g. Shakespeare) when you look at the words, but when you look at the sentences and paragraphs, it turns out to be a huge mess. That's how I feel about it.
FlamepriesTApr 20, 2015 3:08 PM
Apr 20, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2009
LOL Zapp just walked in and sat on his face. "SAY IT'S NOT MY FAULT FIRST" Evil. ~

I love the ending dancing from Leo, he's so cute.

Klaus is boss. True gentleman. (although he ignored Zapp sitting on Leo)
Apr 20, 2015 5:46 PM
Feb 2013
Someone else mentioned it but nobody else ever replied. Does anyone know of the R&B song that started playing when they were discussing how they do not know how Klaus gets his information? Is this a song that was made specifically for the show or what? Does anyone know?
Apr 20, 2015 6:10 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was weird; it seemed like almost nothing happened. I do love the characters, though. I wish they explained the game a bit better, or made it more interesting or tense to watch.

It seems like every episode so far has been different, so it's hard to get a feeling for this series.
Apr 20, 2015 6:40 PM

Aug 2013
its like every person on earth who likes this show came together to post in this thread because wow I see nothing but positive comments. I mean the episode was cool and all, but the overall shows not that good...
Apr 20, 2015 9:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
MasterDetective said:
its like every person on earth who likes this show came together to post in this thread because wow I see nothing but positive comments. I mean the episode was cool and all, but the overall shows not that good...

What are you talking about...did you really read through all the comments? In case you haven't, I've compiled I think almost all of the non-positive comments. There are both negative comments and also comments that aren't especially negative, but not praising the show either. There are plenty of people who agree with you, that it was okay or not that good. But anyways, does it really matter if there's plenty of good comments? It's not like every show appeals to everyone. I for one thought that the prosfair game was intense and interesting, and I'm liking the worldbuilding despite the episodic nature so far. But I can also see why some people find this boring.

tingyApr 20, 2015 9:45 PM
Apr 20, 2015 11:16 PM
Apr 2015
What is the name of slowly song is playing in background before EP song ?

tell me pls i love that song
Apr 21, 2015 12:02 AM

Jan 2013
I can see why some people wouldn't enjoy the episode, but I LOVED it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2015 1:33 AM

Feb 2015
Awesome ep.
The sequence when they are entering the Alterworld was fantastic.
Really. The background music is so good.
Klaus is a very nice character also did everything right.
Awaiting for the next ep!
A true man never dies.
Apr 21, 2015 2:58 AM

Feb 2015
Its still annoying how it jumps around all over the place, one second he's talking to a girl next the wall is being ripped off his apartment. I'm finding it hard to stick with. It's a very good looking show but it seems all over the place. Didn't really rate this episode tbh.
Apr 21, 2015 3:33 AM

Apr 2014
StevenHu said:
Did we just witness the most pointless episode ever alongside the most meaningless game?

Yes. Yes we did.

We? Who's we?
Apr 21, 2015 3:44 AM

Jul 2014
MasterDetective said:
its like every person on earth who likes this show came together to post in this thread because wow I see nothing but positive comments.

As someone who is (probably, no offense) a fan of standard action, you don't know how refreshing it is to get an action anime that doesn't patronize the viewer for us who really like it.

There's no forced exposition, no lame "Plot reminder" monologues or characters talking to themselves, no sacrificial lamb characters, no grimace super-closeups, the world is unique, it's not 100% driven by only action, takes the time for character development and over all is just much more intelligent and engaging than the vast majority of action anime.

The only cringeworthy thing about this anime is when they shout the names of their little moves, and I get that they're doing it "ironically" but it's still repugnant.
Apr 21, 2015 3:59 AM

Jan 2013
Red_Tuesday said:
The only cringeworthy thing about this anime is when they shout the names of their little moves, and I get that they're doing it "ironically" but it's still repugnant.

It's only the Wolverine guy so far.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Apr 21, 2015 5:04 AM

Jan 2012
Red_Tuesday said:

There's no forced exposition, no lame "Plot reminder" monologues or characters talking to themselves, no sacrificial lamb characters, no grimace super-closeups, the world is unique, it's not 100% driven by only action, takes the time for character development and over all is just much more intelligent and engaging than the vast majority of action anime.

Character development? Sorry no offense but I really don't see much character development here...
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2015

345 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 21, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2015

197 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 18, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2015

357 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 17, 7:57 AM

» Kekkai sensei OP and ED are true music to me. Thank you

DatajI - Mar 9

1 by LENDARIO_DS »»
Mar 13, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Kekkai Sensen Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 30, 2015

118 by Hasan_Lelouch »»
Mar 6, 3:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.