Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 19, 2014 12:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I feel sorry for Aladdin this episode. The punishment he received for trying to help others is bs. Yeah, I'm definitely not a fan of most of the instructors there.

The episode was alright I guess. People seems to be so afraid of mages these days..life can be so tough in the world of Magi ;.;
Jan 19, 2014 2:13 AM

Mar 2008
I can sympathize with the old guy but what he is doing to the people underground is wrong. They had nothing to do with the magicians suffering.
Jan 19, 2014 2:13 AM

Jun 2013
I thought the story about the magicians was pretty nice, not too much happened this ep though. Can't wait to see what happens next ep! :)
Jan 19, 2014 2:29 AM
Mar 2012
This feels like exactly like the matrix lore in the Animatrix short "The second Renaissance" where the magi are the robots fighting the oppression of man.
Jan 19, 2014 2:34 AM

Feb 2012
Man that scene with the nobles turning into pigs...Pretty good episode nice to see some back story.
Jan 19, 2014 2:44 AM

Feb 2013
The FEELS! You end up pitying the old guy for what he's been through. Though i still don't think what he's doing is the right thing. Pretty nice seeing how the country came to be. Each episode just gets better n' better XDD
Jan 19, 2014 2:44 AM

Jul 2013
Probably already one of my favorite villains in Magi.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2014 2:48 AM

Dec 2013
I think it was obvious, that something of this old man's past, led him to do such a thing with non-magicians. I also sympathize with him, that he saw how his daughter died due to people like him, so his mind got rotten with the will to dominate over non-magicians.

Well, I also think, that this is wrong what he does to the people in the underground yea, also I fell really soorry for Marga, that she has to live down there.

The Ending this time was really good, I enjoyed it very much to hear, but not to see, was kinda sad, as i said..

All in all, nice episode, obvious that Aladdin is most of the time in the foreground as the main protagonist, I really would like to see some Alibaba action, but the story of Magi really becomes more and more interessting, I'm really excited what will await us in the next episode.
Jan 19, 2014 2:57 AM

Sep 2012
5/5 This adaption is everything I hoped for so far. The last scene was done so well with the nobles turning into beasts.

AnimeJunky said:
I can sympathize with the old guy but what he is doing to the people underground is wrong. They had nothing to do with the magicians suffering.

But it's not about revenge. Mogamett doesn't oppress the Goi because he hates them. He truly believes that they are incapable of leading the world for the better. And clearly from the last scene, he doesn't even think of them as human. By the magicians, for the magicians.
IronLobsterJan 19, 2014 3:14 AM
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Jan 19, 2014 3:08 AM

May 2010
one of my favorite episodes sofar. after all that happened i can really sympathize with the old man.
Jan 19, 2014 3:55 AM
Feb 2012
At the end I couldn't hold back my tears any longer. Listening to Mogamett's speech, brilliantly done by his seiyuu, while the ending song was playing as well, was overwhelming to say the least. I have to commend A-1 for those last five minutes of the episode. Splendid job.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 19, 2014 3:58 AM

May 2013
5/5 great episode, the ending theme playing during the last scene was so fitting imo. Great adaption so far, way better than season 1. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 19, 2014 4:00 AM
Jun 2013
What a tragic history.... Mogamett has been through a lot.
I really hated the sinister sneers on the people's faces -- They were despicable.
I'm glad Titus was fine, that plant got him good.
This episode only left me craving for more, please let the week pass by fast.. ;____;
Jan 19, 2014 4:00 AM

Jul 2012
So Aladdin was able to save the underground people from being thrown in a hole for now.

Those memories of the past for magicians were really sad. I wonder how Aladdin will take all of this next episode.

Great episode!!!
Jan 19, 2014 4:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Excellent episode. Like GuiltyKing said above, a brilliant job by Mogamett's seiyu to convey the emotion and the contempt he felt for humans.

While I understand Mogamett, someone has to remind him though that 2 wrongs don't make one right.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 19, 2014 4:25 AM

May 2010
Powerful episode. such great momolog.
Jan 19, 2014 4:29 AM
Jan 2013
Fuar that scene that showed the nobles turning into pigs reminded me of spirited away.
Jan 19, 2014 4:48 AM

Feb 2011
This episode left me speechless. It was splendidly done.
Jan 19, 2014 5:11 AM

Dec 2007
That was an amazing episode my eyes are glued to the screen when Mogamett was telling his story!
Jan 19, 2014 5:17 AM

Nov 2009
The feels. For a story set in a fictional world, the ending of this episode was so realistic. The never ending greed of humans.
Jan 19, 2014 5:20 AM

Mar 2013
great episode. that plant boy is big breast teacher's little brother? LOL
Mogamett's past was very sadness T^T
Jan 19, 2014 5:21 AM

Aug 2010
GuiltyKing said:
At the end I couldn't hold back my tears any longer. Listening to Mogamett's speech, brilliantly done by his seiyuu, while the ending song was playing as well, was overwhelming to say the least. I have to commend A-1 for those last five minutes of the episode. Splendid job.

+1...The emotions conveyed in that part were just brilliantly done T^T and the ED playing along with it was perfectly fitting. Dem pig and livestock faces were so f***** ugly!!! Exactly as needed.
I can't believe this is the same A-1 XD And wonderful job depicting Mogamett's feelings :)

Loved the animation too. Mogamett looked really awesome when he was a youth.
And poor him when his daughter died :*(

The part with his conversation with Aladdin about Yamuraiha was sweet. This old man is really one of the kindest I've ever seen....for magicians only though.

He's such a complex character and I really sympathize with him. His only fault is how he generalizes his view. It's true that a lot of Goi are asses like that but a lot of them are all nice and kind hearted as well so he shouldn't judge like that.
Jan 19, 2014 6:12 AM

Dec 2010
i could feel his emotions . a good effort from the seiyuu . by this time every one should be conflicted with choosing a side from moral perspectives.

magicians could lead the world to a better en-lighted future where we see humans don't even want to work for their food ...so is the world better with magicians rule ? will that lessen fighting among kingdoms as gois are always doing ? could it be a metaphorical example for science and military power ? whats the best way for a better future ?

the episode should pose these questions to the viewers creating a real moral dilemma ....
Jan 19, 2014 6:38 AM

Dec 2011
There it is, making us viewers sympathize for the villain of the story.
It is really an excellent story... and shows us the whole character of Mogamett.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2014 6:48 AM

Aug 2008
Manga reader,how much longer do we have to wait for Aladdin to kick ass as shown in the beginning of episode one?
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Jan 19, 2014 6:48 AM

May 2009
Jewbledore had hard life.
Jan 19, 2014 7:02 AM

Dec 2012
Great and powerful episode. The director's monologues were really emotionally stirring and when I read this in the manga I actually felt sympathy for the guy. However just because you were wronged doesn't mean one has to make a scapegoat of another. Being a little hypocritical there.
Jan 19, 2014 7:40 AM

Apr 2012
Fiji said:
There it is, making us viewers sympathize for the villain of the story.
It is really an excellent story... and shows us the whole character of Mogamett.
Jan 19, 2014 7:47 AM

May 2013
Beautiful episode, poor magicians, having to go through such a tough time when those royal pieces of shit existed. I hope they get slaughtered in the next episode, I want to see them suffer.
Jan 19, 2014 8:23 AM

Oct 2013
GuiltyKing said:

very well-done ep.

I can see from his point of view. Indeed, goi never once asked to go outside for some. They love the food, wine and sex, indulging in their desires, rotting their life away.

If magicians and non-magicians can live in peace with each at their own nation, that would be too perfect.
Jan 19, 2014 8:36 AM

Sep 2011
The freaking ending is super! Mogamet back story is tragic indeed, he became the monster himself without even realize it.

5/5
Jan 19, 2014 9:01 AM

May 2013
This was a good episode. Good story behind what happened with the magicians years ago.
Jan 19, 2014 9:02 AM

Jan 2012
Well can understand now why the old man is doing this to the people underground... sure it's wrong but after what he suffered you can't really blame him for thinking every non-magicians is the same
It's also just some kind of revenge :(
Jan 19, 2014 9:22 AM

Oct 2012
Every week this show seems to step it up and make me anticipate the next episode more, can't wait for next week
Jan 19, 2014 9:32 AM

Jul 2008
Zapredon said:
Manga reader,how much longer do we have to wait for Aladdin to kick ass as shown in the beginning of episode one?

4 to 6 weeks depending on the pace from now on.
Jan 19, 2014 9:42 AM

Nov 2013
Great episode. But even if Mogamett has very sad past what he is doing underground, using people as livestock, stealing their lifes... I definitelly undestand he has his own reasons for it, but certainly not all the non - magicians are the same. And I know it's just an anime, but it makes me so sad, to see people suffer that much *sigh*

Anyways already looking forward to see the next episode !

Jan 19, 2014 9:55 AM

Oct 2011
Awesome episode.
Jan 19, 2014 10:14 AM

Aug 2009
Titus got seriously chewed on by that monster plant, good thing Myers-sensei came to the rescue. Aladdin was lucky he was sparred for punishment it could have been an ugly situation. It's nice to see how genuine Mogamett was about being a father figure for little Yamraiha, he clearly miss her.

War scenes, death and suppression of the magicians was quite graphic in the manga and the anime did convey the scenes well.
I'm really satisfied with the last scene, seeing how selfish and grotesque humans are through the eyes of Mogamett. The ending song really added to the emotion of sadness and also the building up of Mogamett's hope to creating a world only for magicians. Also praise to his voice actor, Chō, who manages to display a voice with both hatred and sorrow so beautifully.
Jan 19, 2014 10:40 AM

Feb 2013
Mogamett is like a magician Hitler. He'd probably get even more cruel towards the goi if magicians continue to get swept up by his misguided ideals. I bet Aladdin's world went through the same things before his people destroyed each other. No doubt Aladdin's mission is to unite the people of the world so that history doesn't repeat itself.

Really liking this arc. They should have made the entire season about it.
Jan 19, 2014 10:58 AM

Jul 2008
Marenwynn said:
Mogamett is like a magician Hitler. He'd probably get even more cruel towards the goi if magicians continue to get swept up by his misguided ideals. I bet Aladdin's world went through the same things before his people destroyed each other. No doubt Aladdin's mission is to unite the people of the world so that history doesn't repeat itself.

Mogamett believes that Magician should lead the world.
He's not as bad as most people make it sound. He's not saying that Goi should die but that they shouldn't lead because of human nature.

If a goi want to live a better life then he is free to learn, work and contribute to the society. There are two levels where the goi can live and the level 4 district have good living condition for humans. Fact is, like Mogamett said, most of the goi choose to indulge themselve in a livestock life.
Then the sad part is that children born in the level 5 district are forced into a life style they didn't choose. But hey, that happens in every country so it's hardly something we can only condamn Mogamett's country for.

If Mogamett was as simple as Hitler then he would have killed every Goi in his country and would try to wage war against the Goi for world domination.
Jan 19, 2014 11:04 AM

Apr 2013
10/10 adaptation, so far so good
Jan 19, 2014 11:06 AM

Nov 2013
IronLobster said:
5/5 This adaption is everything I hoped for so far. The last scene was done so well with the nobles turning into beasts.

This. Cho does justice.
Jan 19, 2014 11:21 AM

Oct 2011
I feel for him after what he went through. But his daughter T__T
Jan 19, 2014 12:14 PM
Feb 2013
Shangetsu said:
Marenwynn said:

He's not as bad as most people make it sound. He's not saying that Goi should die but that they shouldn't lead because of human nature.

If a goi want to live a better life then he is free to learn, work and contribute to the society. There are two levels where the goi can live and the level 4 district have good living condition for humans. Fact is, like Mogamett said, most of the goi choose to indulge themselve in a livestock life.
Then the sad part is that children born in the level 5 district are forced into a life style they didn't choose. But hey, that happens in every country so it's hardly something we can only condamn Mogamett's country for.

If Mogamett was as simple as Hitler then he would have killed every Goi in his country and would try to wage war against the Goi for world domination.

Indeed for the most part he is pretty justified in his actions, but there's a fundamental flaw in his philosophy, a flaw he has overlooked because of his own bias of goi's being no better than livestock. The thing he has ignored is that the child is not guilty of the parent's sins. It was due to not noticing this aspect that led to the tragedy of Dunya Musta'sim, who was nearly murdered during the magician uprising, and was taken in by Al Thalmen, as well as the continued imprisonment of the children of all the goi's in the 5th district.
Jan 19, 2014 12:49 PM
Mar 2012
Shangetsu said:
Marenwynn said:
Mogamett is like a magician Hitler.
[...]
No, Marenwynn is quite right, he is like Hitler. Hitler thought Germans should rule the world. Well, actually not Germans (as he was Austrian), but the Germanic peoples. As he thought the Jews were intending to do the same, he saw them as enemies and he put them (and many others) in concentration camps to work until they died.
It's really pretty much the same. Mogamett thinks the goi only want to rule, he deems them as a less worthy "race" and puts them underground to harvest their magoi until they die. Sure, there's some differences, but the similarities are obvious.

Apart from that it reminded me of "Remember Koom Valley" in Terry Pratchett's Discworld (Koom Valley was the place for a great battle between dwarves and trolls and there's a cry going "Remember Koom Valley!"). I'll quote: "Every society needs a cry like that, but only in a very few do they come out with the complete, unvarnished version, which is 'Remember-the-Atrocity-Committed-Against-Us-Last-Time-That-Will-Excuse-the-Atrocity-That-We're-About-to-Commit-Today! And So On! Hurrah!'"
It's quite sad that people who have experiences injustice in the past are so prone to to inflict the same kind of injustice unto others as soon as they have the power to. Unfortunately it's very common in our real world, too. :(
Jan 19, 2014 12:55 PM

Feb 2012
Really awesome episode, Mogamett sure went through a lot at the hands of Goi.
Jan 19, 2014 1:07 PM

Dec 2008
I am just...speechless.

A powerful episode.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 19, 2014 1:32 PM

May 2012
nonstop goosebumps when sana died till the end.. wew great ep..

Jan 19, 2014 1:44 PM
Feb 2012
DGemu said:
IronLobster said:

This. Cho does justice.

He sure does. But even so, he still hasn't been added as Mogamett's seiyuu. Heck, not even Mogamett as a character has been added yet. Come the fuck on, MAL staff. Mogamett's a MAJOR character in this arc.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Jan 19, 2014 2:09 PM

Jun 2011
GoGo_Dominatrix said:
I am just...speechless.

A powerful episode.

this..
my eyes watered at the end of this episode.. felt so sorry for Mogamett..
perfect episode with heavy stuff!
5/5
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

273 by phantom346 »»
Apr 15, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2014

176 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 11:44 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2014

142 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 10:47 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 9, 2014

88 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 8:49 PM

Poll: » Magi: The Kingdom of Magic Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2014

108 by phantom346 »»
Apr 14, 7:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.