Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever encouraged a non-anime watcher to start anime?

New
5 hours ago

Jul 2023
Sometimes... but most of the time try to avoid 'cuz people (non-anime watcher) has some kind of mentality to look down on anime watcher. Might sounds stupid but those stares strings.
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

5 hours ago

May 2024
Nah, it's a bit harder to get people into anime than you may think. Especially people around my age. I do remember one time when I did try to convince one of my friends to watch Death Note, back in 7th or 8th grade, but that never happened so I just gave up.
5 hours ago

Feb 2020
"Have you ever encouraged a non-anime watcher to start anime?"

Not a single one so far.
5 hours ago

Jan 2017
Anime has become so mainstream that at this point you need to intentionally avoid it to never see any. And if you do that, you're most likely doing it for a good reason.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り
5 hours ago

Sep 2016
No, I don't encourage other people to do the things I like, they need to find that out themselves.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
5 hours ago

Jul 2023
Reply to SimplyBrazen
Nah, it's a bit harder to get people into anime than you may think. Especially people around my age. I do remember one time when I did try to convince one of my friends to watch Death Note, back in 7th or 8th grade, but that never happened so I just gave up.
@SimplyBrazen
SimplyBrazen said:
Nah, it's a bit harder to get people into anime than you may think. Especially people around my age.

Yeah, true. can't really disagree with that.

SimplyBrazen said:
convince one of my friends to watch Death Note, back in 7th or 8th grade, but that never happened so I just gave up.

It's also happened with me. Sadly, I also recommend Death Note that time to someone. But after watching 3/4 ep he makes fun of saying that "it's a child-play". (he wasn't completely wrong, the way he put it wasn't right either)

4 hours ago

May 2024
nirererin said:
@SimplyBrazen
SimplyBrazen said:
Nah, it's a bit harder to get people into anime than you may think. Especially people around my age.

SimplyBrazen said:
convince one of my friends to watch Death Note, back in 7th or 8th grade, but that never happened so I just gave up.

It's also happened with me. Sadly, I also recommend Death Note that time to someone. But after watching 3/4 ep he makes fun of saying that "it's a child-play". (he wasn't completely wrong, the way he put it wasn't right either)

Realistically if someone is reluctant to start watching anime, it's best to leave them be. From my experience recommending shows to others kind of puts them off from watching those shows. It's best to leave ppl explore the medium on their own without any pressure from others. If a non-anime viewer is ever gonna get into anime, it's not going to be through recommendations, at least that's how I see it.
4 hours ago

Jul 2023
SimplyBrazen said:
nirererin said:
@SimplyBrazen

Realistically if someone is reluctant to start watching anime, it's best to leave them be. From my experience recommending shows to others kind of puts them off from watching those shows. It's best to leave ppl explore the medium on their own without any pressure from others. If a non-anime viewer is ever gonna get into anime, it's not going to be through recommendations, at least that's how I see it.

yeah, I already got my lesson. Now even if someone want any recommendation, I avoid them because afterward if they don't like it or if that can't reach to their expectation what they expect from that anime or from my recommendation. They are gonna get demotivated ultimately.

on another note, people also get judgemental nd judge myself by the recommendation. but they forget that this a entertainment medium that's all and everyone taste and choice is different.

4 hours ago

Jun 2024
Well so far, all my friends watch anime since kids and my colleagues also watch anime, but there is one time that one of my students try to ask me if okay to watch anime then I said "well if feel you to watch anime is up to you I tell her that watching anime is like watching tv show, cartoons drama there is no shame to watch it" and she feels happy about and now she became a fan more on magical girl genre.
4 hours ago

Oct 2018
Yes, why not? Anime is just another way to tell stories
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
4 hours ago

Apr 2020
Tried. My brother watched Vinland Saga because of me....

Then I recommended Devilman Crybaby to him and he was weirded out big time xD
4 hours ago

Jun 2010
I don't encourage people to do what I like, however, if someone mentions that he/she watches or likes anime, then I would go with the flow of the conversation on anime topic with him/her. Otherwise I rarely talk about anime or manga with people unless there is anime related things that appear like a poster of anime movie in the mall for example, or someone initiated the topic.
4 hours ago

Aug 2018
Tried recommending Shoujo Ramune as a joke, did not work.
3 hours ago
Sep 2020
Yes and no. It honestly depends, if it looks like they are genuinely intrested I will recommend some very basic safe anime.
3 hours ago

Sep 2016
Rhae said:
Tried recommending Shoujo Ramune as a joke, did not work.

The most effective way to gatekeep.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
2 hours ago

May 2018
"Have you ever encouraged a non-anime watcher to start anime?"

It never worked.

I guess the majority treats it as a social thing "What people will praise me for liking?" instead of "What is the most enjoyable anime for me personally?".
The funniest reaction being "You are recommending me too much stuff!"...like I don't mean people to watch everything, just to check out some titles a try watching the ones which sound more fun for them.
2 hours ago
Feb 2021
Nah coz all my closest friend watch anime
2 hours ago

Mar 2024

I always avoided talking about anime with anyone IRL. Cuz non-anime watchers tag us as some chuunibyou suffering person who can't tell the difference between reality and fiction. It's honestly infuriating. People always heave a sigh when I tell them of anime I really liked.
2 hours ago

Jun 2024
yeah ofc, i got one of my friends to watch kakegurui ^w^
chidori and haru >>>> any other persona character
2 hours ago
Sep 2021
Yes and to the point that they ask if i get paid for telling them to watch anime. But the BEST part is i actually managed to make some of them watch anime. One of them started around 1.5months ago and now watch anime all day long and even more than me! I couldnt be more proud . Also indeed it almost doesnt work,but the key to success is to tell them watch anime untill you truly realize that they wont watch anime even if they died. the friend i mentioned before, i bothered him for months,idk how many months, but he still didnt watch. And suddenly he watched A couple of cuckoo( really a weird anime to start as 1st) without telling me and since then, he was never the same.
IamSajid2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Sep 2021
Reply to Merve2Love
Tried. My brother watched Vinland Saga because of me....

Then I recommended Devilman Crybaby to him and he was weirded out big time xD
@Merve2Love you .......made a new anime watcher watch....devilman crybaby..??? I am speechless...
1 hour ago

Apr 2020
Reply to IamSajid
@Merve2Love you .......made a new anime watcher watch....devilman crybaby..??? I am speechless...
@IamSajid

I know.... That was a mistake 😂
1 hour ago
Jun 2021
Yes. He watched just one anime and he loved that one anime, to this day, he still does. But he is not interested in anime, he's more of just a fan of that show.

I don't try and convince people to like anime or even a show I like anyway, because either you get it, or don't. I tried watching real basketball because Slam Dunk is my favourite manga, but, I was shocked how boring I found real basketball. I then turn the pages of Slam Dunk anddd I can't stop turning the pages.
1 hour ago

Jan 2009
nah i do not do that seems pointless endeavor but if they ask me for recommendations i will give one
1 hour ago
Jun 2021
Reply to SimplyBrazen
@SimplyBrazen I'm 21, back when I was 10-12, people talked about anime a lot amongt my class mates, I kinda got jealous when they talked about it deep down, because I was such a fanatic, especially since I played the games too. Now, I feel way too giddy when I find out irl that someone likes anime, even if that anime is one that I don't like.
1 hour ago

Jul 2023
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Yes, why not? Anime is just another way to tell stories
@Phosphophyllita Then, really curious to know which anime do u ike to recommend to a non-anime watcher?

38 minutes ago
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
I don't feel a need to push people to try something they aren't interested in, but I might recommend a series/film to someone who doesn't typically watch anime if I think it would be something they'd enjoy.
10 minutes ago

Oct 2018
Reply to nirererin
@Phosphophyllita Then, really curious to know which anime do u ike to recommend to a non-anime watcher?
@nirererin That'll depend on the person, I've got a friend who started watching anime with Evangelion because he's into psychological, surrealist and metalinguistic shits.

Another friend I recommended Shingeki no Kyojin
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Perhaps, this is hell.
7 minutes ago

May 2022
I got my friend to watch the entirety of Saiki K.
"It's just one of those days when you don't want to wake up, everything is fudged, everybody sucks, you don't really know why but you want to justify ripping someone's head off."
-John Cena, Romanian Philosopher and former politician

More topics from this board

» Why is anime so dead rn? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MercurialAlien - Jul 20

270 by JoeChip »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you guys watch EVERY single OVA, movie, spin off, etc.!?

JustMaya - Yesterday

38 by -Fantastical- »»
19 minutes ago

» 📝 AD Best Seiyuu Contest ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Shizuna - Jul 14

207 by SgtBateMan »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » Replacing isekai

SimplyBrazen - 7 hours ago

15 by faleagum »»
27 minutes ago

» I've been watching Anime since 2011, is it wrong for me to think the medium is a bunch of wasted potential?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

31 by GreatShitposter »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.