Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2023 2:48 AM
Jan 2016
So, I watched half of the first ep, and had to turn it off, because I found the MC's chuunibyou too cringeworthy. Does he get better in this regard in a relatively short order, or does he keep it up for long?

Just for those who might get their panties in a twist over this question, I'm not saying this makes the series bad or anything. It's just not to my taste, if you like this kind of thing, good for you, have fun.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2023 2:50 AM

Apr 2016
And how do you know its not to your taste ? You didn't even watched it, as you have said.
Apr 2, 2023 6:51 AM

Apr 2020
Swagernator said:
And how do you know its not to your taste ? You didn't even watched it, as you have said.
Are you saying the MC starts acting differently in the second half of the episode? If not (and he does in fact not), then seeing the first half of the episode is enough to make a judgment.
I have committed war crimes in Yugoslavia
Apr 2, 2023 7:05 AM
Oct 2018
he should be dropping the edgy and chuuni act by the third episode with the rhythm the anime has right now, from then on he's just a dork. A lovely dork.
Apr 2, 2023 7:29 AM
May 2019
yeah he becomes better within a couple episodes
Apr 2, 2023 8:19 AM
Feb 2021
positiv2 said:
Swagernator said:
Are you saying the MC starts acting differently in the second half of the episode? If not (and he does in fact not), then seeing the first half of the episode is enough to make a judgment.
Yes, he does start to act differently. You just chose to ignore it.

You have judged a character based on 2~3 chapters of the 1st manga volume which has now 8 volumes and 117 chapters. 
Swiss_BohemianApr 2, 2023 8:35 AM
Apr 2, 2023 8:28 AM
Feb 2020
Short answer YES.
Apr 2, 2023 8:38 AM
Jan 2016
Swiss_Bohemian said:
Yes, he does start to act differently. You just chose to ignore it.
You have judged a character based on 2~3 chapters of the 1st manga volume which has now 8 volumes and 117 chapters.

That's the point of this thread. I want to find out if the first half of ep 1 is representative of what it will be like later. What I saw so far was completely not to my taste, but if the aspects that I do not like go away with time, then it could be worth it to tough it out and keep watching, so that I enjoy it later.

I see some people stating that he does change his behavior, so I guess I will wait a bit and maybe give the series another chance.
Apr 2, 2023 9:36 AM
Feb 2021
he gets a lot better and i mean it, he gets A LOT lot better
Apr 2, 2023 11:15 AM

Jun 2010
The whole "I want to murder" shtick goes away soon; already in this first episode you should be able to tell he actually has a gentle and kind nature.

His real problem is that he's moping; the brief flashback to him failing his middle school entrance exams is a pretty clear tell that he dislikes himself.
Apr 2, 2023 11:17 AM
Jul 2021
It goes away within the first manga volume
Apr 2, 2023 11:35 AM
Feb 2021
I actually found the first episode quite funny and enjoyable, embrace the cringe.
Apr 2, 2023 11:43 AM

Aug 2018
he doesnt get better 
              or 
         does he??

Apr 2, 2023 12:43 PM
Nov 2021
Yes, he gets a lot better and also I liked him from the start
TacituskilgorApr 3, 2023 11:52 AM
Apr 2, 2023 1:06 PM

Mar 2016
This show is about how a creepy guy gets to know more and more a girl and fall in love with her, and by doing so, he becomes less creepy.
So yes. Don't worry. In the manga he's still creepy but not in a bad way like in first chapters.
Apr 2, 2023 8:54 PM

Jul 2019
I haven't read the manga yet but a friend of mine who hates romance took it up and said that he changes quick as hell so he dropped it. So I'd say yes he most likely did change. Unless I'm wrong.
Apr 3, 2023 12:09 AM
Jan 2018
The whole killing fantasy thing goes away
Apr 3, 2023 7:02 AM
Feb 2015
idk why ppl don't even watch a full episode before making threads like this, lol. Like if you're wanting to drop an anime this quick, you don't care about it so why even ask the question.
Apr 3, 2023 7:19 AM
Jul 2022
To be completely honest the MC's "unique" character is what drew me towards it. I personally found the MC hella funny.
Apr 3, 2023 7:41 AM
Jan 2023
His mental issues goes away in the 1st volume so yeah
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 3, 2023 8:19 AM
Apr 2022
By the second half of the first episode the MC had already changed maybe you didn't get to that point..
Apr 3, 2023 8:53 AM

Feb 2010
Second half made it more obvious he's a harmless weirdo who isn't sure how to interpret his crush on his classmate
Apr 3, 2023 9:10 AM

Jul 2013
The MC gave me a LOT of feelings in this first ep - none of them good - and they were enough to make a very strong and very negative impression on me. I don't like him. see a lot of people here defending him because they think his antics are funny and saying he gets better, and I'm not here to argue against that - if you can enjoy it and find it amusing, good for you! Keep on doing you - I simply want to drop my own perspective here at this convenient opportunity to do so.

To say that the MCs thoughts and behaviors are alarming, disturbing, perverse, and criminal would all be understatements.

He judges his male classmates to be lewd, degenerate Neanderthals, and, though he is right about that, fails to see his blatant hypocrisy or the fact that he himself is far worse than all of them. He's in denial, but, like his classmates, he is also driven by sexual fantasies, but his are remarkably more dangerous, deviant, and scary as they are mixed with a compulsion to kill, to hurt, to "see that pretty face writhing in pain, " or whatever he said. He wants to murder those he finds annoying, and he strongly believes he derives pleasure from inflicting physical agony on the one he is attracted to. This just screams serial killer. Already, just a few minutes into the ep and I already had sirens blaring in my mind that this kid is bad news.

He is hyperaware of everything his crush does, to the point where he is making up narratives in his own head about her actions that he truly convinces himself must be real, and those delusions cause him to make public scenes and act erratically in ways people don't understand. This eerie fixation causes problems and he doesn't seem to grasp any sense of consequences. He always finds himself in the same areas as his crush, seemingly by accident, but a little too often to be believable as mere coincidence. Consciously or unconsciously, everything revolves around her. Watching him watch her, knowing he has a desire to kill, and the way its played off as a joke because he is just a kid is honestly not funny, it's frightening.

Ive been told im overthinking it, taking it too seriously, that he is just an angsty middle schooler that doesnt actually want to hurt anyone. He just cant express himself. The thing is that his actions are not so overly wild and extraordinary that it isn't plausible. I could absolutely see this happening in real life in a real school somewhere. I'm sure that it has. Most do not, but some adolescents really do think and behave like this, and the ones that do are psychologically troubled and dangerous. Someone like him would need serious help.

He seemed more toned down by the end of the ep, but after seeing all that before, and that one line about her writhing in pain, I don't trust it. I'm waiting for it to come back. Compulsions happen whether you want them to or not. He's got to be mentally ill to some degree, because normal awkward middle schoolers who don't know how to interpret their feelings still do not act like that or think about murder.

It's just an anime, though. If you're able to watch this and not associate it with real life, and you can just take it as a silly, dark joke, more power to you. I dont know anything about the manga, went into the ep blind, and i am not speaking towards the rest of the show whatsoever because i do not know how things could change, if they do. This is just my take on the MC in ep 1. Personally, the entire thing struck me as unsettling. The MC really gives me a sense of dread and anxiety, like a ticking time bomb counting down to explode. If left unaddressed, MC would definitely become a sex-motivated serial killer, the kind that harbors an intense, all-consuming obsession of his target for months before ultimately brutally murdering her (among other things) slowly and painfully.
Apr 3, 2023 9:31 AM
Mar 2022
if its not your taste, guess what don't watch it, what's a point of creating this useless thread
Apr 3, 2023 10:27 AM
Dec 2018
StrokeofMidnight said:
The MC gave me a LOT of feelings in this first ep - none of them good - and they were enough to make a very strong and very negative impression on me. I don't like him. see a lot of people here defending him because they think his antics are funny and saying he gets better, and I'm not here to argue against that - if you can enjoy it and find it amusing, good for you! Keep on doing you - I simply want to drop my own perspective here at this convenient opportunity to do so.

To say that the MCs thoughts and behaviors are alarming, disturbing, perverse, and criminal would all be understatements.

He judges his male classmates to be lewd, degenerate Neanderthals, and, though he is right about that, fails to see his blatant hypocrisy or the fact that he himself is far worse than all of them. He's in denial, but, like his classmates, he is also driven by sexual fantasies, but his are remarkably more dangerous, deviant, and scary as they are mixed with a compulsion to kill, to hurt, to "see that pretty face writhing in pain, " or whatever he said. He wants to murder those he finds annoying, and he strongly believes he derives pleasure from inflicting physical agony on the one he is attracted to. This just screams serial killer. Already, just a few minutes into the ep and I already had sirens blaring in my mind that this kid is bad news.

He is hyperaware of everything his crush does, to the point where he is making up narratives in his own head about her actions that he truly convinces himself must be real, and those delusions cause him to make public scenes and act erratically in ways people don't understand. This eerie fixation causes problems and he doesn't seem to grasp any sense of consequences. He always finds himself in the same areas as his crush, seemingly by accident, but a little too often to be believable as mere coincidence. Consciously or unconsciously, everything revolves around her. Watching him watch her, knowing he has a desire to kill, and the way its played off as a joke because he is just a kid is honestly not funny, it's frightening.

Ive been told im overthinking it, taking it too seriously, that he is just an angsty middle schooler that doesnt actually want to hurt anyone. He just cant express himself. The thing is that his actions are not so overly wild and extraordinary that it isn't plausible. I could absolutely see this happening in real life in a real school somewhere. I'm sure that it has. Most do not, but some adolescents really do think and behave like this, and the ones that do are psychologically troubled and dangerous. Someone like him would need serious help.

He seemed more toned down by the end of the ep, but after seeing all that before, and that one line about her writhing in pain, I don't trust it. I'm waiting for it to come back. Compulsions happen whether you want them to or not. He's got to be mentally ill to some degree, because normal awkward middle schoolers who don't know how to interpret their feelings still do not act like that or think about murder.

It's just an anime, though. If you're able to watch this and not associate it with real life, and you can just take it as a silly, dark joke, more power to you. I dont know anything about the manga, went into the ep blind, and i am not speaking towards the rest of the show whatsoever because i do not know how things could change, if they do. This is just my take on the MC in ep 1. Personally, the entire thing struck me as unsettling. The MC really gives me a sense of dread and anxiety, like a ticking time bomb counting down to explode. If left unaddressed, MC would definitely become a sex-motivated serial killer, the kind that harbors an intense, all-consuming obsession of his target for months before ultimately brutally murdering her (among other things) slowly and painfully.

You’re thinking way to deep one look at the tags will tell you that whatever you’re thinking ain’t gonna happen. Not telling you to accept whatever he’s doing, but you’re definitely dragging it quite a bit.
Apr 3, 2023 11:20 AM
Feb 2021
StrokeofMidnight said:
He's got to be mentally ill to some degree, because normal awkward middle schoolers who don't know how to interpret their feelings still do not act like that or think about murder.

Like you said, it's just an anime. I don't think you have to take it too seriously. I'm a teacher at a public middle school and some of my 12~16 year old students are ... odd, to say the least (and nicely). Yes, a student like Ichikawa has deep anxiety issues and yes, he's kind of a hypocrite with his thinking, but the very hook of him wanting to murder Anna or his other annoying male classmates is really just a wishfull fantasy he'd never dare to make it real. I see it as a kind of fantasy some adolescents in puberty have in real life, albeit in a much less exaggerated form. I like Ichikawa for all his faults; he's a decent guy who actually wants to help other people and always considers other peoples' feelings, he's just super akward at doing it and expressing himself.
Apr 3, 2023 3:07 PM

Mar 2019

Apr 3, 2023 4:12 PM

Oct 2010
Askorti said:
So, I watched half of the first ep, and had to turn it off, because I found the MC's chuunibyou too cringeworthy. Does he get better in this regard in a relatively short order, or does he keep it up for long?

Just for those who might get their panties in a twist over this question, I'm not saying this makes the series bad or anything. It's just not to my taste, if you like this kind of thing, good for you, have fun.
Apr 4, 2023 3:50 AM

Mar 2016
StrokeofMidnight said:

This series is about how he becomes a better version of himself. The best part of this series is that the character development is actually fantastic. Give it a chance.
Apr 4, 2023 1:20 PM
Jan 2016
m0rt14k3 said:
if its not your taste, guess what don't watch it, what's a point of creating this useless thread
PastelleAutumn said:
idk why ppl don't even watch a full episode before making threads like this, lol. Like if you're wanting to drop an anime this quick, you don't care about it so why even ask the question.

And others asking this stupid question. I want to watch an anime, because it seems like it might have some things that appeal to me. But something in it bothers me. So I want to know if this thing that bothers me is a recurring theme of the series. Because if that ONE thing that bothers me goes away, other aspects of the series might win me back.

is this really so difficult to understand?
Apr 6, 2023 6:35 AM
Dec 2020
Instead of watching the rest of the 12 minutes, you went out of your way to create a thread and argue with people who says otherwise. Lol
Apr 7, 2023 5:58 AM
Apr 2020
ayo wtf is this cringey shit?
Apr 8, 2023 2:32 AM
Dec 2017
Come on u guys give him break, he is just asking for a heads up so that he won’t waste time on things that he don’t like.

For ppl who solely loves romcom anime and never read the manga, surely he can’t bear with first few minutes of the anime which is very out of place for a romcom anime. Give him some credits to at least ask for opinion first before dropping and missing out this masterpiece (from point of view of a hardcore fan of this manga here though).

Out of topic, I think that’s the reason the rating of this anime is so low, the first few minutes really pull a lot of people off. Sadly this means a big miss for those people if they are romcom anime lovers.
Apr 8, 2023 12:04 PM

May 2022
StrokeofMidnight said:

I appreciate posts like this because I also struggle with enjoying anime's with extreme themes and characters. I have notice too that at times these things are glorified in a way that leaves little confidence for what the rest of the show might have to offer. I think some edginess and yes even perverseness is a fine thing in anime.. it can certainly add flavor to a show, but when it's done on the nose with little to no pay back.. it is basically edgy or perverse for the sake of edginess and perverseness. It's then a shallow, immature, cringe worthy affair. And so that is where I draw the line with these types of ideas or characters in shows.

That said I am not confirming this is what this show is as I have not watched it yet. I am only acknowledging this persons concerns on what he watched because I too have experienced similar disdain for characters or themes in anime.

Its also worth pointing out too that there are far too many amazing anime's with great ideas, positivity, beautiful art and music to waste time on those that instead feed viewers with negativity in the form of extreme perverse, violence and hate.
LordKirkisApr 8, 2023 12:43 PM
Apr 8, 2023 2:18 PM
Jul 2015
LordKirkis said:
I appreciate posts like this because I also struggle with enjoying anime's with extreme themes and characters. I have notice too that at times these things are glorified

Yea ... no. Nothing of that kind in this show. All in all, it's pretty wholesome even.
Apr 8, 2023 3:51 PM

Apr 2016
Get better? He's already the GOAT. 
Apr 8, 2023 8:45 PM
Mar 2018
Askorti said:
m0rt14k3 said:
PastelleAutumn said:

And others asking this stupid question. I want to watch an anime, because it seems like it might have some things that appeal to me. But something in it bothers me. So I want to know if this thing that bothers me is a recurring theme of the series. Because if that ONE thing that bothers me goes away, other aspects of the series might win me back.

Then how about you just keep watching the damn series and find out for yourself instead of making this kind of threads?
Apr 9, 2023 12:46 AM

Feb 2021
MC is just edgy at first; he's actually a nice and considerate guy if you continue following the story. Overall it's a wholesome series and well worth watching all episodes/reading all chapters.
CartoonViolenceApr 9, 2023 1:01 AM
Protesters, assemble!!
Apr 9, 2023 1:13 AM

May 2022
Dickegrobe said:
LordKirkis said:
I appreciate posts like this because I also struggle with enjoying anime's with extreme themes and characters. I have notice too that at times these things are glorified

Yea ... no. Nothing of that kind in this show. All in all, it's pretty wholesome even.

Ok just finished the first two episode's and honestly.. this show is above average; The art is detailed, has great color range and depth. The character designs are interesting, and varied. The characteristics of said characters in relation to the shows humor and style of delivery are also compelling, and more importantly fun/enjoyable. The premise and plot at this time still seem straight forward, but everything else about the show only demonstrates the promise of a good, worthwhile watch for a show of this class/genre.

This one gets a recommendation from me; I will certainly keep watching.

TLDR: Above average anime show within this genre; I'm enjoying both the main and supporting characters. The art is detailed, with great colors. The scenes are interesting and well paced. It's recommended.
LordKirkisApr 9, 2023 2:46 AM
Apr 9, 2023 2:18 AM

Jun 2015
plebeian opinion. the edgelord chuuni aspect makes him all the more fun to watch
uh oh!
Apr 9, 2023 7:55 PM
Oct 2016
Askorti said:

he drops it pretty fast, I myself had forgotten he started out this way, I read the manga last year and have been keeping up with the latest chapters (romance development is fast too, btw, good stuff)
Apr 14, 2023 8:48 PM
Aug 2017
Askorti said:
m0rt14k3 said:
PastelleAutumn said:

people are too sensitive and just blindly defend anything. The truth is that the author tried to make the story about a creepy middle-schooler who has this incel kind of personality, but the response he got from the readers made him rethink the approach. The result is you get a whole different story from volume 2. The guy doesn't suddenly stop his weirdo behavior. Infact he still has some of the traits. His dressing sense, his personality. A lot of it are still same. But it's not also that bad as he was in the first few chapters of the manga. This is my personal opinion after reading all chapters until the recent one. And oh it's really an interesting read for me too. The story gets a lot better. I won't say it is anything superior or great. It's a Hella fun and writing after the first volume is very neet and only gets better. The fan service is pretty cool for people who crave for it. If you are looking for a great romance anime then definitely watch 'Skip and Loafer'. The story is unique and seems so refreshing with the mc being a female. The story is a mixture of a lot of tropes, traits from both shoujo and shounen romance genre, but mind you that it only took the best stuff from both demographics.
Apr 15, 2023 6:59 AM
Feb 2021
First, the author is a woman, not a man, and the supposedly truth of "the author tried to make the story about a creepy middle-schooler who has this incel kind of personality, but the response he got from the readers made him rethink the approach." isn't quite correct either. The real truth is easy to find out as long as you're able to read Japanese. Sakurai Norio has stated in multiple interviews that what she's been interested in from the start is the increasing awareness of two middle schoolers' feelings for each other and the decreasing distance between the two until they become a real couple. The whole chuunibyô & incel personality of Kyôtarô has never been a wrong character approach from Sakurai she had to rethink thereafter of, but rather a necessity to show his increasing maturity in regards of his relationship with Anna and his own feelings towards himself and others in general.
Apr 22, 2023 10:19 PM

Sep 2012
Swiss_Bohemian said:
First, the author is a woman, not a man, and the supposedly truth of "the author tried to make the story about a creepy middle-schooler who has this incel kind of personality, but the response he got from the readers made him rethink the approach." isn't quite correct either. The real truth is easy to find out as long as you're able to read Japanese. Sakurai Norio has stated in multiple interviews that what she's been interested in from the start is the increasing awareness of two middle schoolers' feelings for each other and the decreasing distance between the two until they become a real couple. The whole chuunibyô & incel personality of Kyôtarô has never been a wrong character approach from Sakurai she had to rethink thereafter of, but rather a necessity to show his increasing maturity in regards of his relationship with Anna and his own feelings towards himself and others in general.
Bro, don't make the author out to be this innocent woman. The is is the same author who did Mitsudomoe which is loli shit. Now with Boku no Kokoro no Yabai, it seems like she's going the shota route because she has a thing for that, and it's like she's self inserting as the girl. Women in the anime industry do like their shota stuff after all. 

It's copium to think she has no other intentions besides just making a sweet story between two middle schoolers. Because I don't see the good moral reasoning behind the guy who feels like a shota, aka the loli version of males developing a relationship with someone twice his size. 
Apr 22, 2023 10:57 PM

Jun 2010
Mitsudomoe was funny. Underrated.
Apr 23, 2023 3:15 AM
Feb 2021
FlamingMangos said:
Swiss_Bohemian said:
Bro, don't make the author out to be this innocent woman. The is is the same author who did Mitsudomoe which is loli shit.
Now with Boku no Kokoro no Yabai, it seems like she's going the shota route because she has a thing for that, and it's like she's self inserting as the girl. Women in the anime industry do like their shota stuff after all. 

It's copium to think she has no other intentions besides just making a sweet story between two middle schoolers. Because I don't see the good moral reasoning behind the guy who feels like a shota, aka the loli version of males developing a relationship with someone twice his size. 

I know that she's the author of Mitsudomoe, I have the first japanese volume in my manga library since 2012, but thanks for your enlightment, I guess?
Everything else is your opinion, and it's okay to have it. I don't agree with it though. If Sakurai is self inserting herself in one of the characters at all, then it would be Ichikawa and certainly not Anna, because it's quite obvious to me from her tweets, her art and her previous works that she into drawing cute (and loliesque) female characters. There are also no Shota doujin of her that I'm aware of.
Swiss_BohemianApr 23, 2023 4:49 AM
Apr 23, 2023 9:05 AM

Sep 2012
Swiss_Bohemian said:
FlamingMangos said:
Bro, don't make the author out to be this innocent woman. The is is the same author who did Mitsudomoe which is loli shit.
Now with Boku no Kokoro no Yabai, it seems like she's going the shota route because she has a thing for that, and it's like she's self inserting as the girl. Women in the anime industry do like their shota stuff after all. 

because it's quite obvious to me from her tweets, her art and her previous works that she into drawing cute (and loliesque) female characters. There are also no Shota doujin of her that I'm aware of.

Why do you keep downplaying what she does? It’s not only her enjoying drawing cute characters but very weird sexualization if you actually look at the things from Mitsudomoe.
Apr 23, 2023 9:10 AM
Feb 2021
FlamingMangos said:
Why do you keep downplaying what she does? It’s not only her enjoying drawing cute characters but very weird sexualization if you actually look at the things from Mitsudomoe.

I'm not "downplaying" anything. I've been collecting manga since the early 90s and what she likes to draw / how she characterizes her characters doesn't shock nor bother me in the slightest. 
Apr 23, 2023 9:25 AM

Sep 2012
Swiss_Bohemian said:
FlamingMangos said:

I'm not "downplaying" anything. I've been collecting manga since the early 90s and what she likes to draw / how she characterizes her characters doesn't shock nor bother me in the slightest. 

So if someone asks you about an author you like and you mention this author, you’re going to proudly tell them she’s a lolicon who got known for Mirsudomoe, a manga that has a bunch of perverted and sexualized stuff involving kids that look 7 years old? Nice to know you’re an honest man with what you like with zero downplaying.
Apr 23, 2023 9:30 AM
Feb 2021
FlamingMangos said:
So if someone asks you about an author you like and you mention this author, you’re going to proudly tell them she’s a lolicon who got known for Mirsudomoe, a manga that has a bunch of perverted and sexualized stuff involving kids that look 7 years old? Nice to know you’re an honest man with what you like with zero downplaying.

Look, I expect a little bit more maturity from someone who's apparently a fan of Mitsuru Adachi's work (I'm one too), so could you please refrain from trolling?
Thank you.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2023

371 by ISpokeToTheDevil »»
Jun 15, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 22, 2023

137 by TheAncientOne »»
Jun 9, 5:49 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2023

283 by Supremestrawhat »»
Jun 7, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2023

135 by ichigo_rafi »»
May 21, 2:03 AM

» The femal cast support the MC too fast?

passtur - Apr 15

23 by Zoopiez »»
May 18, 9:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.