Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 30, 2022 6:02 AM
Jul 2021
What would you say is the most controversial upcoming anime series?

Personally I think it will be Chainsaw Man. While it is certainly loved and influential in the anime community, there are scenes that will spark some controversy. I think the most controversial part of CSM will be the fanbase tho, I can only imagine how badly Makima dogs will be bullied constantly online (which is a good thing🗿).
hbvnfjJun 30, 2022 6:33 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 30, 2022 6:18 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:

Personally I think it will be Chainsaw Man. While it is certainly loved and influential in the anime community, there are scenes that will spur some controversy. I think the most controversial part of CSM will be the fanbase tho, I can only imagine how badly Makima dogs will be bullied constantly online (which is a good thing🗿).

You can't make a controversial show that already has a fanbase of girls on twitter. This is the fate of purely "male shows" like Nagatoro or Shield Hero.
Jun 30, 2022 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with CSM for a different reason, it seems to be pretty divisive amongst the community.
Jun 30, 2022 6:26 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Personally I think it will be Chainsaw Man. While it is certainly loved and influential in the anime community, there are scenes that will spur some controversy. I think the most controversial part of CSM will be the fanbase tho, I can only imagine how badly Makima dogs will be bullied constantly online (which is a good thing🗿).

You can't make a controversial show that already has a fanbase of girls on twitter. This is the fate of purely "male shows" like Nagatoro or Shield Hero.

It seems you haven't seen the MHA controversies over the years...death threats to the author for not making any of the underage characters gay, which was started by female fans of the series.
Jun 30, 2022 6:32 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

It seems you haven't seen the MHA controversies over the years...death threats to the author for not making any of the underage characters gay, which was started by female fans of the series.

This does not make the franchise controversial. This is a classic case of the toxicity of a part of the audience that tries to subdue the author, ignoring the rest of the audience or even most of the audience.
Jun 30, 2022 6:34 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

This does not make the franchise controversial. This is a classic case of the toxicity of a part of the audience that tries to subdue the author, ignoring the rest of the audience or even most of the audience.

If an anime is able to attract toxic fans, then it is a controversial anime to me. Well I guess every anime can attract toxic fans, but not all anime have such a large amount of fans that are constantly at the center of a lot of controversies.
Jun 30, 2022 6:40 AM
Jul 2021
mwinner said:
I agree with CSM for a different reason, it seems to be pretty divisive amongst the community.

I don't think there has ever been a dark fantasy series, especially one that doesn't care to hold back on the gore and explicit content such as CSM, which hasn't been divisive in the anime community.
Jun 30, 2022 6:40 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

If an anime is able to attract toxic fans, then it is a controversial anime to me. Well I guess every anime can attract toxic fans, but not all anime have such a large amount of fans that are constantly at the center of a lot of controversies.

Most of these shows are just popular enough to attract all sorts of people, including the weird ones. For example, I don't think it's Genshin's fault per se that its fans are harassing illustrators for "wrong ships".
Jun 30, 2022 6:46 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Most of these shows are just popular enough to attract all sorts of people, including the weird ones. For example, I don't think it's Genshin's fault per se that its fans are harassing illustrators for "wrong ships".

Idk, the amount of lolis can be seen as a clear reason for the way the fanbase is. I don't like to judge a fanbase based on what they like, however series and games that adhere to these type of tropes and characters, will inevitably attract weird fans.
Jun 30, 2022 6:47 AM

Sep 2020
CSM seems like the most obvious choice.
Jun 30, 2022 6:56 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

Idk, the amount of lolis can be seen as a clear reason for the way the fanbase is. I don't like to judge a fanbase based on what they like, however series and games that adhere to these type of tropes and characters, will inevitably attract weird fans.

I have never seen people obsessed with Genshin mainly because of lolis.
Jun 30, 2022 6:57 AM

Dec 2012
DrBalls said:
mwinner said:

I don't think there has ever been a dark fantasy series, especially one that doesn't care to hold back on the gore and explicit content such as CSM, which hasn't been divisive in the anime community.

lmao maybe for a shounen yeah but the most graphic no fuking way it is.
Jun 30, 2022 7:53 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

I have. They're in great number as well. Either way I don't care, I'm just saying that there is a correlation between the content of a franchise, and its fanbase.
Jun 30, 2022 7:57 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

I have. They're in great number as well. Either way I don't care, I'm just saying that there is a correlation between the content of a franchise, and its fanbase.

Are you saying that the shonen franchise is to blame for their current fandoms being filled with toxic gay obsessed girls?
Jun 30, 2022 8:02 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Are you saying that the shonen franchise is to blame for their current fandoms being filled with toxic gay obsessed girls?

It is. I saw a literature youtuber, who read shonen manga for the first time and described it as "pretty boys fighting". That's the perspective of a new shonen watcher/reader nowadays. So why wouldn't a demographic that focuses on such characters have overly obsessive female fans who sexualize the male characters?
Jun 30, 2022 8:06 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

It is. I saw a literature youtuber, who read shonen manga for the first time and described it as "pretty boys fighting". That's the perspective of a new shonen watcher/reader nowadays. So why wouldn't a demographic that focuses on such characters have overly obsessive female fans who sexualize the male characters?

I don't quite understand why it's still shonen's fault, not a problem of accessing it to the wrong audience.
Jun 30, 2022 8:07 AM

Apr 2012
The_SoL_Expert said:
Well, the new Urusei Yatsura is already controversial in Japan, so there's that.

Some people are absolutely in terror that they might sanitize it (let's face it, that anime is very... 80s).
I, personally, don't even know why they felt the need to touch a Rumiko Takahashi franchise in 2022, but whatever. Gotta milk it all dry, I guess.

What had to happen for this show to cause controversy even before it hit the airwaves?
Jun 30, 2022 8:10 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

I don't quite understand why it's still shonen's fault, not a problem of accessing it to the wrong audience.

If a series purposefully draws attention by having pretty drawn characters on covers, logically that would mean people with an interest only on these characters will be attracted to these particular series. Idk how that is so hard to comprehend.
Jun 30, 2022 8:12 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

If a series purposefully draws attention by having pretty drawn characters on covers, logically that would mean people with an interest only on these characters will be attracted to these particular series. Idk how that is so hard to comprehend.

I find it difficult to understand the direction of your thinking, which seems to drift stubbornly towards the idea that beautiful women themselves are to blame for attracting horny men.
Jun 30, 2022 8:12 AM
Jul 2016
The upcoming 2nd part to JoJo part 6.
Because Anasui is a serial sexual harasser lmaooooo. Not very feminist of him...
Jun 30, 2022 8:21 AM

Apr 2012
The_SoL_Expert said:
RobertBobert said:

What had to happen for this show to cause controversy even before it hit the airwaves?

Subtle hints that it might be "modernized" for a... less forgiving audience.

Let's be real here: that particular mangaka loves to show the female body. One group wants that to remain the same. The other says that's highly objectifying and not fit for the current year.

We'll see how it goes. Either way, expect some salt. There aren't many female mangaka with as many (die-hard) fans as RT...

Are you saying that someone is trying to made remake woke under the guise of upgrading an old show to modern standards?
Jun 30, 2022 8:43 AM

Oct 2018
I don't even know what controversial means anymore, literally everything can be considered controversial nowadays.
I even learnt that pedophilia is controversial.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jun 30, 2022 8:43 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

I find it difficult to understand the direction of your thinking, which seems to drift stubbornly towards the idea that beautiful women themselves are to blame for attracting horny men.

If these women present themselves as sex slaves and sell their entire identity on sth like onlyfans, then yeah, they are to blame. Shonen manga are marketed in a specific way to attract attention, and each reader can find at least one thing they're looking for in this demographic. How else do you think shonen became so popular? And if one aspect of shonen manga is more prominent than another (in this case the way characters are drawn), then it is pretty obvious what kind of fans it will attract.
hbvnfjJun 30, 2022 8:53 AM
Jun 30, 2022 8:57 AM

Jul 2015
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

if I got a penny everytime I saw a toxic gay obsessed girl in the fandom, I'd be poor af
If I got a penny everytime I saw a dude obsess over them, I'd buy everything Elon Musk owns, including his friends and family.

I still don't know where you people find these dangerous fujo terrorists you keep talking about in every thread. To me it looks like those boogeymen elitists people mention in threads every two days here. Some mythical creature whose legend is kept alive by people who swear they totally saw one.
Jun 30, 2022 9:00 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

If these women present themselves as sex slaves and sell their entire identity on sth like onlyfans, then yeah, they are to blame. Shonen manga are marketed in a specific way to attract attention, and each reader can find at least one thing they're looking for in this demographic. How else do you think shonen became so popular? And if one aspect of shonen manga is more prominent than another (in this case the way characters are drawn), then it is pretty obvious what kind of fans it will attract.

Are you literally saying that any promotion of shonen manga to girls is tantamount to attracting a toxic audience?

The_SoL_Expert said:
RobertBobert said:

Are you saying that someone is trying to made remake woke under the guise of upgrading an old show to modern standards?

Not necessarily, because I don't really use the term "woke" (doesn't really mean anything anymore) and Rumiko Takahashi has been doing some pretty progressive stuff since long before it was cool to brag about it on social media.

I mean, Ranma ½ has been around since the 80s...

That's not the issue. The issue is that someone, somewhere, saw some titty in the very first chapter and was like "nope, that shit ain't gonna fly today."

animegamer245 said:
Why exactly would they do that?

Outstanding question. I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I can think of is that the western market must not be as insignificant as it used to be, particularly in the digital age.

Well, I remember people complaining that Ranma ½ is overly homophobic in its humor and that the concept of a romantic comedy like this wastes its potential thinking more about male gay jokes than lesbian content. To the point that yuri bait-ish Ayakashi Triangle was seen by many as the solution to Ranma's missed opportunity.

Jun 30, 2022 9:04 AM

Apr 2012
Deathko said:
RobertBobert said:

if I got a penny everytime I saw a toxic gay obsessed girl in the fandom, I'd be poor af
If I got a penny everytime I saw a dude obsess over them, I'd buy everything Elon Musk owns, including his friends and family.

I still don't know where you people find these dangerous fujo terrorists you keep talking about in every thread. To me it looks like those boogeymen elitists people mention in threads every two days here. Some mythical creature whose legend is kept alive by people who swear they totally saw one.

A very good provocation, but sorry, I have neither the time nor the desire to argue on obvious bait topics now.
Jun 30, 2022 9:11 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Are you literally saying that any promotion of shonen manga to girls is tantamount to attracting a toxic audience?

Not every single one, but yes. Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia, these are just a few examples of that. Never have I ever seen women become so defensive of a fictional male character before, try to criticize Gojo, Aki, Giyuu, Todoroki or any other characters of these shows, and you will get crucified. That just shows how well the promotion worked I guess. Not all female viewers or readers of shonen series are like that, but the more vocal ones are clearly just toxic fans. And they aren't small in number either.
Jun 30, 2022 9:13 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

Not every single one, but yes. Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia, these are just a few examples of that. Never have I ever seen women become so defensive of a fictional male character before, try to criticize Gojo, Aki, Giyuu, Todoroki or any other characters of these shows, and you will get crucified. That just shows how well the promotion worked I guess. Not all female viewers or readers of shonen series are like that, but the more vocal ones are clearly just toxic fans. And they aren't small in number either.

Toxic male fans don't exist? There's probably a reason why "narutard" was such a popular insult for teen fans in the 00s.
Jun 30, 2022 9:13 AM

Oct 2013
If that's the case, I want to watch Chainsaw Man even more. It already had me at the name, but any "controversy" makes me more likely to try it.

I've already watched multiple controversial shows, and they're never as bad as people make them sound. Shield Hero, Goblin Slayer, Mushoku Tensei. Never. The only one that kinda came close was Made in Abyss. And I guess Berserk 2016, but only because it was hated for the way it looked, which I can kinda agree with, even though I didn't completely hate it.
Jun 30, 2022 9:14 AM

Jul 2021
Controversial anime te nani????????

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 30, 2022 9:18 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Toxic male fans don't exist? There's probably a reason why "narutard" was such a popular insult for teen fans in the 00s.

I never said that. But male fans tend to be more toxic about other aspects of a series. Like defending the power scaling for example. Sure, you can always find neckbeards who'd become even more toxic by defending their favorite waifu, but these types of people are usually a threat to society as a whole and can get turned on by anything they see.
Jun 30, 2022 9:21 AM
Jul 2021
FanofAction said:
If that's the case, I want to watch Chainsaw Man even more. It already had me at the name, but any "controversy" makes me more likely to try it.

I've already watched multiple controversial shows, and they're never as bad as people make them sound. Shield Hero, Goblin Slayer, Mushoku Tensei. Never. The only one that kinda came close was Made in Abyss. And I guess Berserk 2016, but only because it was hated for the way it looked, which I can kinda agree with, even though I didn't completely hate it.

Tbh controversy usually starts for the dumbest reasons. Providing no context for a scene and then slandering it online has become pretty common. So much that I've started to watch controversial series more than before. As you said they can be pretty good.
Jun 30, 2022 9:21 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

I never said that. But male fans tend to be more toxic about other aspects of a series. Like defending the power scaling for example. Sure, you can always find neckbeards who'd become even more toxic by defending their favorite waifu, but these types of people are usually a threat to society as a whole and can get turned on by anything they see.

But what exactly makes female fans special?
Jun 30, 2022 9:23 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Oh well idk...sending death threats to an author for not making children characters gay doesn't seem enough to call female fans "special" to you?
Jun 30, 2022 9:23 AM
Dec 2019
What is 'controversial' supposed to mean though? A few tweets with 4 likes? Because that's the pattern I've seen with other shows mentioned in this thread like Nagatoro and Uzaki. Does some twitter drama really affect a show's prospects that much? Or do you mean an anime that actually gets/is threatened to be pulled off the air and cancelled for doing something really bad, because if that's happened to a prominent anime recently, please fill me in
Jun 30, 2022 9:27 AM
Jul 2021
p0eticsu1cide said:
What is 'controversial' supposed to mean though? A few tweets with 4 likes? Because that's the pattern I've seen with other shows mentioned in this thread like Nagatoro and Uzaki. Does some twitter drama really affect a show's prospects that much? Or do you mean an anime that actually gets/is threatened to be pulled off the air and cancelled for doing something really bad, because if that's happened to a prominent anime recently, please fill me in

Those tweets with 4 likes you mention get shared around quite a lot. That is controversy isn't it? And no, I'm pretty sure Japan doesn't give a damn about controversy, at least the anime industry doesn't. But controversy in the west has become so common that I can satisfaction out of seeing dumb takes on twitter all the time. There's just sth about trolling random nerds who think their opinion matters online. But that's just me.
Jun 30, 2022 9:28 AM

Jan 2020
Possibly Makoto Shinkai's new movie? I don't know about problematic scenes, but I am sure it will be under a lot of scrutiny and that'll spark some controversy.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jun 30, 2022 9:30 AM

Oct 2013
DrBalls said:
FanofAction said:

Tbh controversy usually starts for the dumbest reasons. Providing no context for a scene and then slandering it online has become pretty common. So much that I've started to watch controversial series more than before. As you said they can be pretty good.

Especially some of the newer controversies. I've seen the complaints about stuff like Spy X Family and Uzaki-chan. They're so damn stupid. I swear constant internet access has made people dumber, which I'm pretty sure is the exact opposite of what was intended.
Jun 30, 2022 9:31 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

Oh well idk...sending death threats to an author for not making children characters gay doesn't seem enough to call female fans "special" to you?

Well, Chinese fans wrote insults to Horikoshi for making the new villain look like Japanese war criminals. But we're not saying that Chinese fans are special.
Jun 30, 2022 9:33 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Well, Chinese fans wrote insults to Horikoshi for making the new villain look like Japanese war criminals. But we're not saying that Chinese fans are special.

Oh chinese fans are special. All that communist propaganda has turned their brain to mush.
Jun 30, 2022 9:36 AM
Jul 2021
FanofAction said:
DrBalls said:

Especially some of the newer controversies. I've seen the complaints about stuff like Spy X Family and Uzaki-chan. They're so damn stupid. I swear constant internet access has made people dumber, which I'm pretty sure is the exact opposite of what was intended.

Well viagra was intended to be used to cure heart diseases...so I'm not surprised...
Jun 30, 2022 9:40 AM

Apr 2012
FanofAction said:
DrBalls said:

The internet hasn't made people dumber, it's just allowed us to learn more about each other. For example, in the 00s, you would hardly be able to meet a Muslim girl who thinks Spy x Family is racist, because the show in the European setting does not include Muslims and people of color.

samashi20 said:
Possibly Makoto Shinkai's new movie? I don't know about problematic scenes, but I am sure it will be under a lot of scrutiny and that'll spark some controversy.

Problem scenes in the new Shinkai's movie?
Jun 30, 2022 9:41 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

Oh chinese fans are special. All that communist propaganda has turned their brain to mush.

Let me guess, in Germany, probably all people are Nazis?
Jun 30, 2022 9:42 AM

Oct 2013
DrBalls said:
FanofAction said:

Well viagra was intended to be used to cure heart diseases...so I'm not surprised...

Yeah, that sounds about right. Taking useful things and turning them into ways to get off is human nature, I guess.
Jun 30, 2022 9:44 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

That's a bit different. They're not under constant pressure from their government that is tryna convert them into nazis, unlike China.
Jun 30, 2022 9:50 AM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

That's a bit different. They're not under constant pressure from their government that is tryna convert them into nazis, unlike China.

And the Chinese are? Can you give me examples?
Jun 30, 2022 9:51 AM

Oct 2013
@RobertBobert That's one way to look at it, I guess.
Jun 30, 2022 9:53 AM
Jul 2021
RobertBobert said:
DrBalls said:

Learning communist ideals in school...that's more than enough.
Jun 30, 2022 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
Made in Abyss, probably.

I can already picture the reactions to Riko being licked clean (literally) by the toilet monster and the drama that will ensue. If people didn't mind or even notice the weird innuendos in the first season, they will certainly do now. That was disgusting af.
Jun 30, 2022 12:50 PM

Apr 2012
DrBalls said:
RobertBobert said:

Learning communist ideals in school...that's more than enough.

Seriously? Is this your whole propaganda argument? Are you saying that Western countries do not preach ideas in schools?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How many completed is considered a lot to you ( 1 2 )

Ice-Cube - Jul 9, 2022

93 by Maratasi »»
1 minute ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 3 )

Shizuna - May 16

115 by Toha »»
13 minutes ago

» Your Favourite Anime Quotes!

on-luffy - Dec 2, 2023

36 by Saputrai »»
16 minutes ago

» Going through shows you saw a decade ago, have they fell off?

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

17 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime that made you feel emotional

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

6 by WatchTillTandava »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.