Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 20, 2022 12:19 PM

May 2019
I've given it some thought and I don't believe that there has ever been a 10/10 anime villain. I certainly believe that there are 9/10 anime villains, and it's not like I'm someone who says "10/10s are impossible because no show is perfect". A villain is the hardest character to write, and I believe writing a near perfect one would require so much detail that it would normally make them the focus of the show, which I would then argue removes their position of the "villain" from the story. Light Yagami is a very possible example of this. I believe that to write a 10/10 villain, would definitely require an even better written protagonist, and an incredibly meticulously written plot that leaves room for careful development for each of these characters.

I would like to know how anyone else feels about this, and if you have any examples of 10/10 characters.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 20, 2022 12:25 PM

Nov 2021
All Demon Slayer villains are 10/10. Anyone who disagree with it certainly have no idea of well written character or else he is hipster.

You can't name 5 villains better than Muzan Kibutsuji.
MosesaaJun 20, 2022 12:37 PM
Jun 20, 2022 12:32 PM

Nov 2021
Meruam from HXH comes to my Mind even though I don’t like his character that much and don’t think he is perfect 10/10 villains but yeah I think he is one of the villains which you’ll remember for a long time even after finishing the anime

Edit-
nishant0Jun 20, 2022 12:40 PM
Jun 20, 2022 12:35 PM

Mar 2018
Villains/Antagonists I would give a 10 off the top of my head are like, Makishima, Kirei, Hisoka, Doffy, maybe Bondrewd. Griffith also I guess. I think there are plenty.
Sometimes you just want to hear anime girls squeak and squeal
Jun 20, 2022 12:36 PM
Apr 2018
Johan Liebert, Light Yagami, Griffith, Mereum, Makishima.
Jun 20, 2022 12:39 PM
Aug 2021
Mosesaa said:
All Demon Slayer villains are 10/10. Anyone who disagree with it certainly have no idea of well written character or else he is hipster.

Demon Slayers biggest flaw is its 1d characters the villains are just evil and have no motive
Jun 20, 2022 12:42 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
Askeladd and Bondrewd tbh (being completely bias)
Jun 20, 2022 12:45 PM
Aug 2019
Mosesaa said:

Huh? Are you okay man? That was a pretty bold claim for a show that only tells you about it’s villains when they’re already dying.
Jun 20, 2022 12:46 PM

May 2021
Johan Liebert, Kira Yoshikage, Griffith are some 10/10 villains. Meruem is an excellent character but not a great "villain" imo.

Jun 20, 2022 12:49 PM

May 2019
Jasannale_2022 said:
Villains/Antagonists I would give a 10 off the top of my head are like, Makishima, Kirei, Hisoka, Doffy, maybe Bondrewd. Griffith also I guess. I think there are plenty.

(Spoiler warning for Berserk) The only here that I recognise are kirei, hisoka, doflamingo and Griffith. I personally wouldn’t call any of these even a 9/10 besides Griffith. Griffith is probably the closest to a 10/10 villain that I’ve seen, but my problem with him is that most of his development comes before he is a villain. This causes him to lose the villain factor that I believe a 10/10 villain would need. What I mean by this is that he doesn’t hold a position of threat and fear that I believe he would need. The fact that his development came before his introduction as a villain, stopped him from being enough of an opposing force to the protagonist. On top of this, his development of character was swayed by character who is basically just “evil”, which lowered his score slightly.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
Jun 20, 2022 12:49 PM
Apr 2021
MR-GOD said:
I've given it some thought and I don't believe that there has ever been a 10/10 anime villain. I certainly believe that there are 9/10 anime villains, and it's not like I'm someone who says "10/10s are impossible because no show is perfect". A villain is the hardest character to write, and I believe writing a near perfect one would require so much detail that it would normally make them the focus of the show, which I would then argue removes their position of the "villain" from the story. Light Yagami is a very possible example of this. I believe that to write a 10/10 villain, would definitely require an even better written protagonist, and an incredibly meticulously written plot that leaves room for careful development for each of these characters.

I would like to know how anyone else feels about this, and if you have any examples of 10/10 characters.

Griffith from berserk and johan from monster are the only villains I think to be 10/10. There are no other villains that come close imo
Jun 20, 2022 12:50 PM
Oct 2021
Mosesaa said:

yall really not seeing how much of a troll this guy is?
Jun 20, 2022 12:52 PM
May 2022
Mosesaa said:

Meruem, Light Yagami, Hisoka, Johan Liebert, Dio Brando, & maybe Doflamingo
Jun 20, 2022 12:52 PM
Oct 2020
Sq33k33z said:
Mosesaa said:

yall really not seeing how much of a troll this guy is?

Yeah thats gotta be a troll lmao
Jun 20, 2022 12:53 PM

Nov 2021
I don't know which is weird me calling "Demon Slayer villains are 10/10" or others claiming "Johan is a 10/10 villain" lol
MosesaaJun 20, 2022 1:02 PM
Jun 20, 2022 12:56 PM

Mar 2021
MusashiKarlsefni said:

I think Bondrewd is one of the best written villains out there. Dont know about Askeladd. Even though he was introduced as a villain, He pretty much was a hero for me for several reasons.
Jun 20, 2022 1:00 PM

Feb 2020
Why are u loosing sleep over some damn numbers. 10 and 1 are just reference point for upper and lower limit. It doesnt need to be unattainable perfection of dreams, It just being highest/most favorite of what u have seen is more than enough.

Also no, I dont think creating a villan is hard. Villan is second most important position after protagonist. It always gets extreme care. If anything supporting or Tertiary cast is what harder to create like
for eg a well written henchman is harder to create character position in a story since they have lesser screen time or importance to work with. They most usually turn out stereotypical due be being out of focus or less thought put on creating them
AdampkJun 20, 2022 1:03 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 20, 2022 1:01 PM
Nov 2021
I agree a 10/10 villain is incredibly hard to write, it requires a complex plot and a set of amazing characters. I would say Eren and Askeladd are 10/10 or as close as you can get to that. Both of them have phenomenal development - Eren starts as the hero but we watch his motives/extreme ideologies turn him into a ruthless character who will do anything for freedom. Askeladd is the opposite, starts out as a savage mercenary Viking leader but through Thorfin we’re able to see the thoughtful, almost caring side. Though he’s Thorfins enemy he takes it upon himself to teach the young boy the ways of the world.

That being said I’m yet to watch a lot of anime and am sure to come across more villains of their tier.
darthbarthJun 20, 2022 1:04 PM
Jun 20, 2022 1:02 PM

May 2021
Mosesaa said:
I don't know which is wierd me calling "Demon Slayer villains are 10/10" or others claiming "Johan is a 10/10 villain" lol

One is the truth while the other is not. You figure out which is which.

Jun 20, 2022 1:06 PM
Apr 2018
diavolo is a 10/10 if u dig deep into his powers backstory and his position in the lore
but I'd say Erwin would make a great villain also to me light wasn't a villain in my opinion.
Jun 20, 2022 1:09 PM

May 2021
Mosesaa said:
RioFS said:

One is the truth while the other is not. You figure out which is which.
It's not hard when both are false.

Read again. Slowly, this time.

Jun 20, 2022 1:11 PM
Sep 2020
MR-GOD said:

Doflamingo, funny valentine, chrollo, Johan libert, shogo makishima, and Griffith are just a few I can think of that you can make the argument for 10/10
Jun 20, 2022 1:14 PM
Negator

Mar 2022
V1P3R0P said:
MusashiKarlsefni said:

I think Bondrewd is one of the best written villains out there. Dont know about Askeladd. Even though he was introduced as a villain, He pretty much was a hero for me for several reasons.

I think he definitely comes off more anti-hero by the end of his arc, but I still consider him a villain. Leading a band of vikings, murdering and pillaging village after village, regardless of motive, is still pretty villain-y. He makes you sympathize with his cause tho, thats what makes him so great to me. Regardless of how you view him, we all can agree he’s a great character.
Jun 20, 2022 1:15 PM

May 2021
Mosesaa said:
RioFS said:

Read again. Slowly, this time.
I guess you miss my point. My bad, i wasn't clear.

Lets keep it simple - They both sucks ass, Johan and DS villains, both.

So it went above your head, huh. Well, fine then, I will play along.

Yeah, they both suck at being villains.

Jun 20, 2022 1:15 PM
Mar 2021
darthbarth said:
I agree a 10/10 villain is incredibly hard to write, it requires a complex plot and a set of amazing characters. I would say Eren and Askeladd are 10/10 or as close as you can get to that. Both of them have phenomenal development - Eren starts as the hero but we watch his motives/extreme ideologies turn him into a ruthless character who will do anything for freedom. Askeladd is the opposite, starts out as a savage mercenary Viking leader but through Thorfin we’re able to see the thoughtful, almost caring side. Though he’s Thorfins enemy he takes it upon himself to teach the young boy the ways of the world.

That being said I’m yet to watch a lot of anime and am sure to come across more villains of their tier.

I wouldn’t really call Askeladd a villain. He’s technically the antagonist of the prologue but he cares for Thorfinn and his crew, along with the fact that his motive had always been to bring a rightful king. He’s more of a dickhead than a villain. 10/10 character for me tho. Eren tho fs season 4 + is 10/10.
Jun 20, 2022 1:16 PM

Mar 2021
MusashiKarlsefni said:
V1P3R0P said:

I think he definitely comes off more anti-hero by the end of his arc, but I still consider him a villain. Leading a band of vikings, murdering and pillaging village after village, regardless of motive, is still pretty villain-y. He makes you sympathize with his cause tho, thats what makes him so great to me. Regardless of how you view him, we all can agree he’s a great character.

Yeah, definitely a well written character. RIP
Jun 20, 2022 1:19 PM
Jul 2021
Kiyotaka Ayanokōji will be a 10/10 in the upcomming years
Jun 20, 2022 1:19 PM

May 2019
Adampk said:
Why are u loosing sleep over some damn numbers. 10 and 1 are just reference point for upper and lower limit. It doesnt need to be unattainable perfection of dreams, It just being highest/most favorite of what u have seen is more than enough.

Also no, I dont think creating a villan is hard. Villan is second most important position after protagonist. It always gets extreme care. If anything supporting or Tertiary cast is what harder to create like
for eg a well written henchman is harder to create character position in a story since they have lesser screen time or importance to work with. They most usually turn out stereotypical due be being out of focus or less thought put on creating them
Adampk said:

shut up (15 characters)
Jun 20, 2022 1:22 PM
Nov 2021
ErensFloorMat said:
darthbarth said:

I wouldn’t really call Askeladd a villain. He’s technically the antagonist of the prologue but he cares for Thorfinn and his crew, along with the fact that his motive had always been to bring a rightful king. He’s more of a dickhead than a villain. 10/10 character for me tho. Eren tho fs season 4 + is 10/10.

That’s a great point - I’d say at the beginning he’s portrayed as the villain but as u said his motives/actions throughout the show would say otherwise.
Jun 20, 2022 1:22 PM

May 2019
darthbarth said:

I don’t agree with a Askeladd, but I wouldn’t even consider Eren as a villain.
Jun 20, 2022 1:24 PM

May 2019
xLolpol said:
Kiyotaka Ayanokōji will be a 10/10 in the upcoming years
I haven’t read the manga, but based on the lack of any strong plot or character development in the first season, that seems really doubtful.
Jun 20, 2022 1:24 PM
Nov 2021
MR-GOD said:
darthbarth said:

I don’t agree with a Askeladd, but I wouldn’t even consider Eren as a villain.

I understand why you say eren isn’t the villain - that’s the whole point of AOT. Reiner and Marley originally attacked Eldia and they were bad, but now Eren is doing the same to Marley. It’s two sides of the same coin, this is what makes Attack on Titan so great.
Jun 20, 2022 1:26 PM

Feb 2020
MR-GOD said:
Adampk said:

shut up (15 characters)

This is a open discussion.
Next time, u dont want well thought out replies from people like me, go start it in some private group chat or thread.
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 20, 2022 1:27 PM

May 2019
Adampk said:
MR-GOD said:
shut up (15 characters)

Next time, u dont want well thought out replies, go start it in some private group chat or thread.
why are you losing sleep over some damn letters? Grow up
Jun 20, 2022 1:27 PM

May 2021
Mosesaa said:
RioFS said:

RioFS said:

Yeah, your post ,where you added nothing "went above my head". And do not forget to take your ADHD meds.

Do not forget to visit your local daycare. And of course, take English classes. Take care.

Jun 20, 2022 1:28 PM
Mar 2021
darthbarth said:
ErensFloorMat said:

That’s a great point - I’d say at the beginning he’s portrayed as the villain but as u said his motives/actions throughout the show would say otherwise.
Yeah for sure I forgot about the first few episodes when he fought Thors. Definitely a “villain” then.
Jun 20, 2022 1:28 PM

May 2021
MR-GOD said:
Adampk said:

Next time, u dont want well thought out replies, go start it in some private group chat or thread.

Why would you tell him to shut up since all he did was type some letters?

Jun 20, 2022 1:30 PM

Feb 2020
MR-GOD said:
Adampk said:

But I am simply replying ur quote lol. If anything u went out of ur way to in both quoting me and creating this discussion
BIO

Jun 20, 2022 1:30 PM

May 2019
RioFS said:
MR-GOD said:

Why would you tell him to shut up since all he did was type some letters?
Ok (15 characters)
Jun 20, 2022 1:31 PM

Mar 2018
MR-GOD said:
Jasannale_2022 said:

(Spoiler warning for Berserk) The only here that I recognise are kirei, hisoka, doflamingo and Griffith. I personally wouldn’t call any of these even a 9/10 besides Griffith. Griffith is probably the closest to a 10/10 villain that I’ve seen, but my problem with him is that most of his development comes before he is a villain. This causes him to lose the villain factor that I believe a 10/10 villain would need. What I mean by this is that he doesn’t hold a position of threat and fear that I believe he would need. The fact that his development came before his introduction as a villain, stopped him from being enough of an opposing force to the protagonist. On top of this, his development of character was swayed by character who is basically just “evil”, which lowered his score slightly.

I don't necessarily think those things are needed to write a compelling villain, most of that just feels like fluff to me. I am most interested in how they are characterized and oppose the protagonist's philosophy which I think those do really well. I would also rank Ragyo really high as well because she's interesting the way she interacts with the main cast and their relationship
Sometimes you just want to hear anime girls squeak and squeal
Jun 20, 2022 1:32 PM

May 2019
Adampk said:
MR-GOD said:

But I am simply replying ur quote lol. If anything u went out of ur way to in both quoting me and creating this discussion
and you’re the one on the anime rating site complaining about people discussing ratings
Jun 20, 2022 1:38 PM

Feb 2020
MR-GOD said:
and you’re the one on the anime rating site complaining about people discussing ratings

Are u being funny? Because....
MR-GOD said:

I would like to know how anyone else feels about this.

My feeling about this :-
Adampk said:

BIO

Jun 20, 2022 1:46 PM
Feb 2021
Ri-iel said:
Mosesaa said:

Demon Slayers biggest flaw is its 1d characters the villains are just evil and have no motive

They have a motive it is to be able to go out into the sun without being decimated.
Jun 20, 2022 1:49 PM

Feb 2020
Okay but why is this in "Attack on Titan" forum?
Jun 20, 2022 1:51 PM
Aug 2021
BentBlue said:
Ri-iel said:

They have a motive it is to be able to go out into the sun without being decimated.

But the fact is the villains have no origins the reason for demons existing, and the flower are never explained
Jun 20, 2022 1:56 PM
Jul 2021
Mosesaa said:

In order for things to shine brightly, some things must be dull. In order for things to tatse great, others must taste vile. And in order for opinions to be good, others must be horrible.

Thank you for providing such a horrible take, so that others can be that much better.
Jun 20, 2022 1:59 PM

Nov 2021
Can't believe my bait is still working ;)
Jun 20, 2022 2:00 PM
Feb 2020
PPPFFFFHAHAHAHA bruh what??? Make it obvious you haven't watched Akira, Ghost in the Shell, DragonballZ, JoJo, Naruto, or a whole host of other basic shows everyone has seen.
Jun 20, 2022 2:02 PM
Apr 2018
YaboieatToast said:
Mosesaa said:

Darth Vader, Senator Armstrong, Joker, Griffith, Light, Aizen, Dio, etc etc

well that's a fine list too
Jun 20, 2022 2:06 PM

May 2019
[quote=Adampk message=66649055]
MR-GOD said:

Are u being funny? Because....
MR-GOD said:

I would like to know how anyone else feels about this.

My feeling about this :-
Adampk said:

“Why are u loosing sleep over some damn numbers” “Why are u loosing sleep over some damn numbers” you said this😢
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - Jun 17

35 by asureiwong »»
23 minutes ago

» Create Your Perfect Staff: ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jun 19

59 by Lost_Viking »»
50 minutes ago

» the L word

SmugMiri - Yesterday

40 by blvrrry »»
50 minutes ago

» Are Manga and LN only fans considered Anime fans?

Dragevard - Yesterday

26 by Mayahuel »»
57 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 3 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

130 by ThePantsuGuru »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.