Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 10, 2022 4:02 PM
Jun 2016
Assuming of course, it is on your list to begin with.

For me, it's my new favourite No. 1 when it comes to Anime films. I can't see anything else beating it any time soon.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 10, 2022 4:04 PM

Jul 2019
I hate this movie. A film that regressed everything that Violet went through as a character. Visually appealing, narratively illogical, and disgusting to a degree.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 10, 2022 4:10 PM

Aug 2020
#1 but I don't watch many anime films so that's not saying much, but I still love this
Call me Ren
Apr 10, 2022 4:13 PM

Aug 2020
LordSozin said:
I hate this movie. A film that regressed everything that Violet went through as a character. Visually appealing, narratively illogical, and disgusting to a degree.

I'm sorry but why do you rate what you watch? according to you, "the best comedy in all of anime" is only a 7/10? why should anyone take your opinions and ratings seriously at that point
Call me Ren
Apr 10, 2022 4:15 PM
Aug 2021
Honestly this is one of my top 20 anime movies
StaciasApr 10, 2022 4:20 PM
Apr 10, 2022 4:15 PM
Feb 2021
LordSozin said:
I don't exactly get what you mean. Violet didn't regressed as you said, she just developed and had a brighter future. She is finally going to live happyly every after with the man she loves. I don't understand why you'd even think is disgusting. Maybe you've obliged yourself to watch so much anime you're a little brain dead. I don't understand how can you even have mean score of 4.50. It's like as if you're not liking the majority of the series you watch.
Apr 10, 2022 4:21 PM
Feb 2021
This is one of my favorite anime of all time, but I really hated this movie.
Apr 10, 2022 4:47 PM

Feb 2021
it is one of my favorite anime movies, though i 100% prefer the series over the sequel movie
Apr 10, 2022 4:50 PM

Jul 2019
Osquitis said:
LordSozin said:
I don't exactly get what you mean. Violet didn't regressed as you said, she just developed and had a brighter future. She is finally going to live happyly every after with the man she loves. I don't understand why you'd even think is disgusting. Maybe you've obliged yourself to watch so much anime you're a little brain dead. I don't understand how can you even have mean score of 4.50. It's like as if you're not liking the majority of the series you watch.

For the entirety of its existence, Violet Evergarden is about moving on from the past. It advocated for the message of self-discovery. That's what Violet's job as a doll was to other customers of the company. I expected Violet to go through the same process. But she didn't. This final film implied Violet didn't move on and find her own place in the world, it was the opposite.

That's what I hated the most about this film.

I also saw the person she admired as a figure, not a lover. Idk, it doesn't sit right with me, to say the least.

I don't think it's braindead to have this perception.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 10, 2022 4:53 PM

Jul 2019
Render_1 said:
LordSozin said:

I'm sorry but why do you rate what you watch? according to you, "the best comedy in all of anime" is only a 7/10? why should anyone take your opinions and ratings seriously at that point

I love how y'all resort to how I rate anime as a judgment of my take on Violet Evergarden's final film.

How typical.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 10, 2022 4:58 PM
Jul 2021
eclipsesonic said:

For me, it's my new favourite No. 1 when it comes to Anime films. I can't see anything else beating it any time soon.

like 6th?

list:

1.a silent voice
2.josee,the tiger and the fish (very equal,
2.i want i eat your pancreas both second)
4.weathering with you
5.your name
6.violet evergarden movie
Apr 10, 2022 5:09 PM
Oct 2019
LordSozin said:

I actually get where you’re coming from. I didn’t want him to still be alive, so at first I didn’t know how to feel about the movie. However I think her being able to reach him through a letter in a way words couldn’t was very thematic, and we got her whole grieving process in the show. It’s the best of both worlds and that’s how I came to appreciate it. I don’t like it as much as the show, but I think it’s a good ending for Violet.

I will say it made me like the Major less. I get he had trauma, but he could have at least let her see him when she went all that way. Violet could do better than the major in my opinion haha
Apr 10, 2022 5:17 PM
May 2021
I’m not sure. I haven’t watched many anime movies, so probably still quite high, but I don’t think this film is as good as the main series. While I’ve come to accept and appreciate this film for what it is, as it has some beautiful moments and adds to most of the characters, I really don’t feel like it was necessary to conclude Violet’s character arc this way. I feel since she already found her place in the world, there was no need for this kind of happily ever after. As heartwarming as this film is, I would have been better if the major was really dead, and we saw a conclusion where Violet finally came to accept this, and was able to properly move on. Like I said, I still really enjoyed this movie though.
Apr 10, 2022 5:36 PM

Mar 2021
Somewhere in the upper middle.
Apr 10, 2022 5:53 PM
Jan 2021
Obviously #1 if not definitely in Top 3
Apr 10, 2022 5:53 PM

Apr 2020
LordSozin said:
Osquitis said:

For the entirety of its existence, Violet Evergarden is about moving on from the past. It advocated for the message of self-discovery. That's what Violet's job as a doll was to other customers of the company. I expected Violet to go through the same process. But she didn't. This final film implied Violet didn't move on and find her own place in the world, it was the opposite.

I also saw the person she admired as a figure, not a lover. Idk, it doesn't sit right with me, to say the least.

That was my initial impression when looking at the synopsis in theory, but it did not play out that way for me. You say she was supposed to move on and the movie betrayed her character development, but I feel as though the movie absolutely acknowledges that she had already moved on by the time it starts.

Most of the development between them is about exploring the mixed emotions that would come from having someone re-enter your life after coming to terms with their absence. A lot of people talk about Violet and the Major having a sort of romantic relationship in which Violet keeps “simping” over the major, but I never saw their relationship that way. Their connection feels more like an adopted daughter/father relationship, which makes the Major’s detachment from society feel more related to the guilt carried by a deadbeat dad.

Admittedly, I went into the movie with low expectations, because bringing the Major back into the story could’ve been done horrendously poorly, and the high rating the movie had could’ve easily been swaths of drama/romance junkies being swayed by forced tear-jerking. However, to my dismay, I feel like they handled this sudden plot shift with the utmost of respect and maturity. There were several times that it was hinted that the Major would be ridiculed rightfully for abandoning his colleagues, and it could’ve even happened with Violet too. So the movie was more of a way to show how Violet really would’ve reacted given the choices she had.

I know we all want to say that having a second chance with someone we lost is unrealistic and improbable, but that’s not really the point. The point is about asking if you really were given a second chance with someone you felt you already lost, how would you handle it?
Apr 10, 2022 5:55 PM

Jul 2019
ChristianGivens said:
LordSozin said:

I actually get where you’re coming from. I didn’t want him to still be alive, so at first I didn’t know how to feel about the movie. However I think her being able to reach him through a letter in a way words couldn’t was very thematic, and we got her whole grieving process in the show. It’s the best of both worlds and that’s how I came to appreciate it. I don’t like it as much as the show, but I think it’s a good ending for Violet.

I will say it made me like the Major less. I get he had trauma, but he could have at least let her see him when she went all that way. Violet could do better than the major in my opinion haha

I loved the series as much as anyone else here. But the final film was just not likable in the slightest. Could it be done better in its execution? Sure. At the end of the day, I took the series' core theme is about moving on from the past and finding your own place in the world.

Violet didn't do that in the end. And yeah, Major being alive was not a good move in my eyes.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 10, 2022 6:01 PM

Feb 2021
LordSozin said:

Couldn’t have said it better.
Apr 10, 2022 6:07 PM
Aug 2021
apparently i gave it an 8/10 so i mustve liked it even tho i dont remember much about it now
Apr 10, 2022 6:08 PM

Jan 2021
It doesn't exist on my favorites list

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Apr 10, 2022 6:09 PM

May 2021
this is my fifth favourite movie.
if you aren't convinced see my top 5
1. K-on movie
2. Kizumonogatari/Zoku Owarimonogatari
3. mahou-shoujo-madoka-magica Rebellion
4. end of evangelion
5. violet Evergarden movie.
Apr 10, 2022 6:11 PM
Mar 2021
LordSozin said:

This

15 character limit
Apr 10, 2022 6:15 PM
Jan 2021
It’s my 20th favorite anime film. It’s good but I have problems with it
Apr 10, 2022 6:16 PM

Feb 2019
No. I mean, I like it for the feels trip. But overall, this movie completely betrays everything the series stood for (overcoming grief, moving on from the past, growing into a better person etc) in exchange of a rather, I'd say, Disney-esque fanservice ending that nobody except juvenile shippers needed.
Apr 10, 2022 6:26 PM
Aug 2019
Not high at all. In fact, I think the previous entry in the series was way better.
Apr 10, 2022 6:28 PM
Feb 2021
LordSozin said:
Osquitis said:

it made it very clear they loved each other. Also, Violet did move on because she was able to get closure about the person she was seeking out. Something tells me you don't pay much attention when watching anime. Either that or you have trouble understanding most of what you watch so you just go with whatever comes to mind first and clearly it's all negative. I suggest rewatching Violet again and really pay attention. it's a story based anime so attention is required.
Apr 10, 2022 6:30 PM

Feb 2021
Close to the bottom. This movie insulted my intelligence beyond belief
Apr 10, 2022 6:30 PM
Jan 2022
LordSozin said:
Render_1 said:

I love how y'all resort to how I rate anime as a judgment of my take on Violet Evergarden's final film.

How typical.

well, no one has a right to tell you anything about how much you would rate an anime. that's completely at your Liberty.

But it is a valid point that your ratings can't be taken seriously because you seem to have a certain expectation from each anime to fan out in a particular way and when it doesn't you immediately just shoot it down. it's like you're saying anything other than the development that you expected in the story is absolutely tasteless and boring, which seems a bit childish and irrational.

It's not your story to begin with, you're just the reader (or watcher in this case).... so maybe you would enjoy things more if you just didn't complete stories inside your head and watched things through till the end with an open mind maybe?
Apr 10, 2022 6:40 PM
Jan 2022
eclipsesonic said:

wouldn't go so far as to saying it's my no.1.
But definitely a memorable one, felt it was a bit cliche, and they just wanted to give closure to their fans so they decided to miraculously bring him back to life. But i did enjoy it thoroughly.

PS: there are many many movies out there which are much more amazing than violet evergarden.
you should definitely explore more movies. i can assure you it won't be sticking on your no. 1 spot anymore.

a good start would be the most famous and most watched ones typically.....
Kimi no nawa
koe no katachi
josee to Tora to sakana tachi
hotarubi no mori e
howl's moving castle
spirited away
and so many more to explore. Hope you watch them.
Apr 10, 2022 6:44 PM

Feb 2021
LordSozin said:

Same opinion.
I really liked Violet Evergarden TV series but this I hated this movie. This movie should a plot armor even in a drama.
Apr 10, 2022 6:47 PM

Jul 2019
Aug1799 said:
LordSozin said:

How typical.

well, no one has a right to tell you anything about how much you would rate an anime. that's completely at your Liberty.

But it is a valid point that your ratings can't be taken seriously because you seem to have a certain expectation from each anime to fan out in a particular way and when it doesn't you immediately just shoot it down. it's like you're saying anything other than the development that you expected in the story is absolutely tasteless and boring, which seems a bit childish and irrational.

It's not your story to begin with, you're just the reader (or watcher in this case).... so maybe you would enjoy things more if you just didn't complete stories inside your head and watched things through till the end with an open mind maybe?

I don't project my perceptions onto others. Not sure where you got that from. What did you even mean by completing things inside my head? I watched the film, and I saw the conclusion to be a betrayal of what the TV series was. The series set up certain elements and I expected to be executed. It's not in my head, dude.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 10, 2022 6:49 PM

Sep 2020
Haven't really think about this, maybe like no.6~no.10?
Apr 10, 2022 6:50 PM

Mar 2018
59th out of the 63 anime movies I've seen.
Apr 10, 2022 6:52 PM

Jul 2019
Firekraken9 said:
LordSozin said:

it made it very clear they loved each other. Also, Violet did move on because she was able to get closure about the person she was seeking out. Something tells me you don't pay much attention when watching anime. Either that or you have trouble understanding most of what you watch so you just go with whatever comes to mind first and clearly it's all negative. I suggest rewatching Violet again and really pay attention. it's a story based anime so attention is required.

I don't think that's it. The difference is between how you and I interpreted Violet Evergarden from the start. And clearly, there are others here who agrees with me.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Apr 10, 2022 6:54 PM

Nov 2021
one of my favourite 😘😘
Apr 10, 2022 8:03 PM

May 2021
I loved this movie a lot. One of the few movies that made me shed a tear (or openly weep, but whatever).

I do agree with some of the previous comments, which explain that the movie takes away from the Violet’s journey. However, it is acceptable because this a new story. The previous arc is complete, because Violet was able to move on from her past, and learn what “I love you” means.
Now that she understands it, that journey is complete. So we get to go on a new adventure with Violet. This new arc is very powerful because now we see her in a situation where she wants to say “I love you.” The roles have flipped.

Quite frankly I think it’s magical, and brilliantly well made. I would have to put this as my number one anime movie, at least in the top three.
(My only concern is how much this movie holds up without seeing the series. I’m not sure, since I’ve seen the series and can’t possible forget it.)

TLDR; Fav anime movie, and I think the change in “moral” is not only acceptable, but brilliant.
KelpRingsApr 10, 2022 8:07 PM
Apr 10, 2022 8:08 PM

May 2021
#11, not counting the Pokemon Movies. I still dislike what they did to Violet's character and still don't understand what sort of connection the first half of the movie had with the second.

Apr 10, 2022 9:53 PM
Nov 2021
I really don't like this movie, is so bad.. just where is the Violet i know?
Apr 10, 2022 10:05 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Watched about 50 anime movies give or take, and I'd place this somewhere in the top 10

Maybe I was just overly ecstatic about Violet finally seeing Gilbert again, but I didn't really notice her character apparently getting butchered. I think I was slightly annoyed with her at point in the movie, but I didn't think anything she did betrayed her character. It was a while since I had watched the main series, so perhaps I kind of lost a grip on what her character was like.

If someone wants to help my poor memory and explain what wrong they did to her character, it'd be much appreciated

edit: Nvm, I scrolled up and sort of got my answer lol. Violet was a character that learned to let go of the past, but this movie made her hold on to the past. Although, it could still all be explained with one word: "love". If there's anything else that performed character assassination on Violet, I'm still all ears
BetaMaleUltraApr 10, 2022 10:10 PM

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 10, 2022 10:50 PM

Nov 2019
Painfully a garbage writing of character development.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Apr 10, 2022 10:53 PM
Feb 2021
well after the eva and gurren lagann movies
Apr 11, 2022 12:53 AM
Aug 2021
Im not a fan of this series
and also I don't hate
Apr 11, 2022 12:59 AM

Sep 2021
Definitely not in my top 10, I absolutely adore the series but this movie did a complete 180 to Violet's character and spits on everything the series stood for.
Apr 11, 2022 3:39 AM

Jun 2019
its pretty high, but not in the top 10. in terms of music, directing, animation its definitly top 5. but I wasnt a huge fan of the ending. i loved the whole arc with the ill boy (best violet letter arc imo), but I say it now: I wish gilbert stayed dead.
the first 90 minutes of the movie were nearly perfect, but then it went downhill. even the ending hat its highs, but the lows were pretty low.
Apr 11, 2022 3:48 AM

Jun 2019
LordSozin said:

I agree in general. the whole gilbert thing was so bad. i wished he stayed dead. also the ending implied they lived together like a couple, what is disgusting imo. espacially when you think about the fact, that gilbert found violet while she was about 10 and he was in his end 20s. and he fell in love with her when she was 14, while he was nearly 30. thats so weird, if you think about that he raised her like a father, teached her how to read and write and gave her her name, just to (maybe) bang her when she turns 18. thats some cheesy, creepy shit.

But I have to say I still like this Movie, for the forst 1,5 hours. I really loved the ill boy arc, for me one of the saddest Anime scenes ever.

But as I said, I totally can see why you hate this movie. for me the series finale was the perfect ending for the story.
Apr 11, 2022 3:51 AM
Jan 2022
LordSozin said:
Aug1799 said:

I don't project my perceptions onto others. Not sure where you got that from. What did you even mean by completing things inside my head? I watched the film, and I saw the conclusion to be a betrayal of what the TV series was. The series set up certain elements and I expected to be executed. It's not in my head, dude.

Yes they built the story in one particular way in the tv series, and then you watched the movie expecting the story to head in the same direction. But instead they get reunited and get a happy ending. You specifically mentioned that her character regressed, during the tv series they show her get a better understanding of human emotions. Just because she got back with him doesn't mean everything she went through and learnt becomes invalid. I don't understand how her character regressed?
Apr 11, 2022 4:34 AM
Sep 2021
I haven't watched many movies so for now my favorite movie is Violet Evergarden Movie
Apr 11, 2022 4:36 AM

Mar 2021
I would rank this the 3rd as 1st would be akira and second to it being fate stay heavens feel 3
Apr 11, 2022 4:44 AM

Mar 2021
LordSozin said:
Osquitis said:

I see where your coming from. However, I'd argue that Violet's character arc wasn't finished at the end of the series. The show is about the importance of emotions, understanding them, and expressing them. Violet's job is to interpret people's emotions and help express them via her letters, and in the process learn more about her own emotions. By the end of the show, Violet may have understood her emotions, but she never expressed them. Despite writing so many letters for other people, she could never send any herself. She did write some letters during the show, I wouldn't say they count, considering the content of the letters, nor did they reach Gilbert. The movie is about finally expressing her emotions, her final step in her character arc. It makes sense for it to be Gilbert to, since he is the one who first expressed emotions to Violet, caused her start her emotion journey in the first place. Violet's final letter to Gilbert, expressing her love to him, marks the end of her character arc.

The only issues I have with this movie are a) there is little, if any (I don't quite remember) explanation for how Gilbert is alive, and b) the way they found out about his existence was by pure chance.

Other than that, I love this movie.
Apr 11, 2022 7:40 AM
Aug 2021
I dont like this movie. Its really bad. So... last?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

327 by touchpad »»
6 hours ago

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

GRG3 - Sep 3, 2023

105 by TheArAregor »»
Jun 17, 2:45 PM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

75 by Arminken »»
May 3, 2:42 AM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.