May 2015
i really hope to get the continuation of the story omgggg
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Mar 8, 2021 8:20 AM

Oct 2020
This is bullshit, Hoshiai no Sora is such an amazing Anime and it surely deserves a second season to make up for that big ass cliffhanger that they left us with
Mar 17, 2021 10:43 AM

May 2016
zamandzoe said:
Nieznajomy43 said:

Kickstarter hehehe... ;)

As far as I'm aware, a Kickstarter has never funded a full length season of anime.

Does wakfu count? that raised a fuck ton of money. And they did that for like 2 seasons or something.
Mar 17, 2021 2:53 PM

Dec 2016
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
zamandzoe said:

As far as I'm aware, a Kickstarter has never funded a full length season of anime.

Does wakfu count? that raised a fuck ton of money. And they did that for like 2 seasons or something.

also Totsukuni no Shoujo/The Girl From the Other Side has currently gathered over 300% of their original goal.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/witstudio/totsukuni
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Mar 31, 2021 11:06 AM

Jun 2009
Damn I rly want more, it's such a ambitious story with a nice flair of diversity.
Apr 19, 2021 12:53 PM

Jan 2008
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-19/stars-align-anime-director-shares-updates-on-sequel-plans/.171905

It seems that the director cannot find a company willing to fund this. And that's obvious. He'd have to find a company willing to lose money.
Apr 19, 2021 3:21 PM

Dec 2016
DmonHiro said:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-04-19/stars-align-anime-director-shares-updates-on-sequel-plans/.171905

It seems that the director cannot find a company willing to fund this. And that's obvious. He'd have to find a company willing to lose money.

It's nice that director is still trying.
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
May 28, 2021 4:49 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
DmonHiro said:

Did anyone consider that it sold poorly due to the lack of story resolution?
I mean, think about it. Would most people be willing buy a blu-ray of a series that was not complete and no guarantee of it becoming complete? Unless it was a 10000% masterpiece, the answer is probably no. (And there are very few masterpieces of anime)

By cutting the funding, the production company basically guaranteed that it would fail. If they didn't cut it, who knows what would've happened. We didn't get to see the resolution of the story arcs. We got what amounted to a build-up and then no finale. The second cour would've probably cinched it.

May 28, 2021 7:38 AM

Dec 2016
quercifolia said:
DmonHiro said:

I mean, think about it. Would most people be willing buy a blu-ray of a series that was not complete and no guarantee of it becoming complete? Unless it was a 10000% masterpiece, the answer is probably no. (And there are very few masterpieces of anime)

By cutting the funding, the production company basically guaranteed that it would fail. If they didn't cut it, who knows what would've happened. We didn't get to see the resolution of the story arcs. We got what amounted to a build-up and then no finale. The second cour would've probably cinched it.

Have you heard about Dredd (2012)?
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/dredd-3d-prevails-in-the-home-video-market

Or how one guy bought 100 volumes of TPGW?
https://www.reddit.com/r/TimePdoxGhostwriter/comments/ibdi4k/fan_buys_100_1st_volumes/

If there was enough fans then they would definitely buy a lot of physical copies.
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
May 28, 2021 10:16 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Nieznajomy43 said:
quercifolia said:

Have you heard about Dredd (2012)?
https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/23/dredd-3d-prevails-in-the-home-video-market

Or how one guy bought 100 volumes of TPGW?
https://www.reddit.com/r/TimePdoxGhostwriter/comments/ibdi4k/fan_buys_100_1st_volumes/

If there was enough fans then they would definitely buy a lot of physical copies.

Definitely possible, though these cases seem like outliers to be honest. After all, how many people can afford to buy 100 copies of a single manga volume? If then average manga volume costs ¥500 then 100 copies would be ¥50,000. Which is $455.40 USD...

I know in Japan fans at times do go to some extreme lengths. Such as the idol industry, buying dozens of CD's to "vote" for your favorite idol... But that is super crazy fans and I dunno how much it will happen in Anime, especially an anime that doesn't sell itself with tits and jiggles.
judge dredd I got no idea. from all accounts it was a terrible movie but apparently not THAT terrible!

Jun 15, 2021 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
quercifolia said:

Dude, this show was NEVER going to sell. EVER. It has nothing that most anime fans want. It's not marketable. And people buy incomplete stories all the time. Almost every single LN adaptation is incomplete, and people buy anyway it to show there is interest in making more. If people wanted more of this show, they would have bought the blurays. They didn't. It's as simple as that. There is very little interest in this show. You need to accept it.
Jun 18, 2021 8:21 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
DmonHiro said:
quercifolia said:

Dude, this show was NEVER going to sell. EVER. It has nothing that most anime fans want. It's not marketable. And people buy incomplete stories all the time. Almost every single LN adaptation is incomplete, and people buy anyway it to show there is interest in making more. If people wanted more of this show, they would have bought the blurays. They didn't. It's as simple as that. There is very little interest in this show. You need to accept it.

No-one will ever know if it would have or not, because they literally cut it in half before production was even completed.

It's not like it was selling poorly so they cancelled the second cour. (If that was the case, it's more understandable).
But it didn't even release yet. It was clearly some internal matter or dispute. Maybe they didn't like the LGBT character in there. Who fucking knows.

Unfortunately, there was no sales data for the series released for us to see how well it did. Animate didn't put the sales data since it was an anime original or something like this.

They did make a shitload of merchandise though (bags, badges, keychains the usual kinds of things). Including a very cute mini soft tennis racquet keycharm.

I love all those different keychains, but I haven't got anywhere to put it. I don't want to have 50 million charms hanging off of me. LOL

At any rate, given there was a lot of merchandise made, means people were interested in it. I mean why would they make over 200 different items for a series that "failed"?

Jun 19, 2021 11:03 AM

Jan 2008
quercifolia said:
No-one will ever know if it would have or not, because they literally cut it in half before production was even completed.
It's not like it was selling poorly so they cancelled the second cour. (If that was the case, it's more understandable).

And it was cut in half because it was projected to have very low sales. Also, we did not know about this until the half of the season. By that time, if the show would have sold well, there would have been many pre-orders, which there weren't. The reason we know it wouldn't have sold regardless of the length is because the pre-orders were very low even before we knew it was supposed to be 2-cour originally.

I'm sorry, but that's just how things are. I've been monitoring the Japanese industry on stuff like this for over 15 years.

IT.WAS.NEVER.GOING.TO.SELL.

The production committee knew this, and gutted it. What I think happened was that Akane pitched this as a sports show, not as a teen drama. After it was greenlit, the committee may have realized this was not the case, but it's very difficult to outright cancel something once it has begun production in Japan. Nut they could shorten it.

Also, the reason we don't have sales data is because it did not rank. That means that it was so low that the numbers were lower then the margin of error. There are dozens of original anime that get sales data. The only reason to hide it is because it is low and makes the production committee look bad. That's just how it is in Japanese business.

It's not the creation of merchandise that shows popularity or interest, it's the sales of said merchandise. There are super-popular shows that had zero merchandise when it was airing, and shows that sold in the low hundreds that had huge amounts of merchandise made. You can't judge the interest of the PUBLIC by how much merchandise the PRODUCER makes. The reason why there is so much merchandise made more recently for this is because Akane is trying to prove to potential studios/companies that there is an interest in this show, so he can get a 2nd half made. But we already know nobody is interested in making more because Akane himself said that he cannot find anyone to fund it.

If the show was as popular as you say, surely somebody would come and fund more, right? I mean, if it's so popular, it's going to make a lot of money, right? So why doesn't anyone want to fund it?

BECAUSE IT WAS NEVER GOING TO SELL!
DmonHiroJun 19, 2021 11:11 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Who let Kathleen Kennedy to make anime?

LostInLove - Apr 24

7 by LostInLove »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.