Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 26, 2019 10:10 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The production committee backstabbed the team and told them too late that they only got 12 episodes so we're stuck with an unfinished story for... pretty much forever.

''Turns out that not only was it true that Hoshiai was meant to be twice as many episodes as it got, but the decision to axe it was made so late that it didn't leave room for the staff to reconstruct the show with 12 episodes. So... we got half the story''

''That might sound like an outrageous decision, but it truly feels like the lesser evil after the team got backstabbed this badly. When they got notified it had already been in production for so long that restarting it all as a 12 eps anime would have meant throwing away too much''

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1210255800997949441
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/1210256292960452608

The director talks about it :

https://twitter.com/Akane2514af/status/1210245903849644032

UPDATE: Kazuki Akane Promises Sequel In Some Form

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-26/stars-align-director-kazuki-akane-promises-sequel-in-some-form/.154793
DatRandomDudeDec 26, 2019 8:59 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 26, 2019 10:53 AM
Apr 2018
I don't know how the industry works, but that's too cruel. They've been working their ass for this project for years only to be back stabbed.

Knowing the real reason behind the ending of the anime, really helps me to understand why it ended that way. Not disappointed at all. It's a shame though.
Dec 26, 2019 10:58 AM

Mar 2016
This reminded me of how Mahou Sensou adaptation ended, except via different circumstances.

Both cases has some of the shittiest conclusions in anime I’ve ever seen in my entire existence.

And @animejas was right, the melodrama was so redundant and so much of a broken record. To have another bitter taste of that to end the show is absolute blasphemy.
Dec 26, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2013
I read the whole situation and this is yet another reality of the industry.

Apparently, Hoshiai no Sora has been planned for 2 years. The director already had a vision of what he wanted the show to be so they couldn't make a compromise when the show got axed at the last minute because restructuring the show would be impossible.

So there you have it. We only got half of the story. People can hate the show all they want but as much as I also dislike some decisions the director made with this anime, this is still way too cruel of an end.
Dec 26, 2019 11:10 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Ryuseishun said:
This reminded me of how Mahou Sensou adaptation ended, except via different circumstances.

Both cases has some of the shittiest conclusions in anime I’ve ever seen in my entire existence.

And @animejas was right, the melodrama was so redundant and so much of a broken record. To have another bitter taste of that to end the show is absolute blasphemy.

This one is even worst because its an anime original so there's no source left we're literally stuck here.

At least Mahou Sensou has a LN and manga so i guess if theres actually someone who actually cared about the anime (lmao) he can keep going with them.

Dec 26, 2019 11:12 AM

Oct 2017
Honestly I didn't like the anime too much but this is sad. I always want to see a story completed and the way this ended with a huge cliffhanger is killing me.
Dec 26, 2019 11:16 AM

Mar 2016
DatRandomDude said:
Ryuseishun said:

This one is even worst because its an anime original so there's no source left we're literally stuck here.

At least Mahou Sensou has a LN and manga so i guess if theres actually someone who actually cared about the anime (lmao) he can keep going with them.

You’re absolutely correct. Even Hanebado with its strange priorities regarding melodrama had a source material to at least refer to. This is the downside when wielding the double edged sword known as “anime originals”.
Dec 26, 2019 11:23 AM

Nov 2010
Hopefully the director and screenwriter releases the end of the show in some form. If not anime, as a manga, novel or sth like that. But i wouldn't fully abandon hope, maybe some other studio will eventually release Hoshiai no Sora's second season.
Dec 26, 2019 11:25 AM

Jan 2009
is this the first time an anime original got axed half way through like this? just wow
Dec 26, 2019 12:12 PM
May 2017
Wtf. Fuck the commitee. I loved this anime but it could've been even better.
Dec 26, 2019 12:24 PM

Nov 2014
Really disappointing it got axed, was shaping up to be one of my favorites this season and it ends like this.

I mean WTF was that ending ROFL like put the knife down my guy
Dec 26, 2019 12:30 PM

Aug 2013
I'm so sad it got axed since it had a lot of potential :( I was hoping for a second season
Dec 26, 2019 12:31 PM
Dec 2019
Could also explain why the increasing family problems don't have much of an impact on the games. Due to the missing episodes the matches just had to play out that way to progress the plot - and any drama induced complications wouldn't fit.

Dunno if the right decisions were made. It would've been better to cut some of the drama and resolve some parts, but maybe those scripts had already been written and its not that easy to restructure a whole show start of the season / mid run.

Though I kinda wanna praise them for such a dark ending, but you just can tell that it wasn't supposed to be like that.
Dec 26, 2019 1:04 PM

Jul 2017
I had a rant a few weeks ago, about how pathetic this show's narrative had become by forcing all the drama in the world down our throats, by not letting it be natural with its pacing. Less is more, and Hoshiai no Sora was unaware of that concept.

And with the team that was backstabbed at the last minute, about the episodes length, it's the final nail in the coffin of what was one of the most disappointing, and terribly written drama shows I've ever seen in my entire life.

I feel bad for the team since no team deserved to get cucked that hard near the finish line. They were working on a project with a passion, and it all meant nothing when they couldn't complete the story properly.

But I'm not feeling forgiving for the product itself. I knew there were too many flaws with the narrative and even if it was supposed to go 25, it still felt incredibly packed right from the getgo. Axing it may have been a massive curse, and may have been a blessing too given how much worse it would have been if it continued for 3 more months.

The end result is, this show was horrible and didn't know how to contain itself from packing all drama in the world, for every single character, and making parents mostly look like the villains most of the time even though it's not always the case in reality.
Dec 26, 2019 1:06 PM
Feb 2019
DatRandomDude said:
The production committee backstabbed the team and told them too late that they only got 12 episodes so we're stuck with an unfinished story for... pretty much forever.

''Turns out that not only was it true that Hoshiai was meant to be twice as many episodes as it got, but the decision to axe it was made so late that it didn't leave room for the staff to reconstruct the show with 12 episodes. So... we got half the story''

''That might sound like an outrageous decision, but it truly feels like the lesser evil after the team got backstabbed this badly. When they got notified it had already been in production for so long that restarting it all as a 12 eps anime would have meant throwing away too much''

Is there a manga for this?
Dec 26, 2019 1:08 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Naewanz said:
DatRandomDude said:

Is there a manga for this?

Nope, it's an anime original so there's nothing outside of the anime.

Dec 26, 2019 1:41 PM

Oct 2010
Akane Kazuki deserved better than this. What we got was solid for half a story but we really need the rest
Dec 26, 2019 2:30 PM

Mar 2016
animejas said:
I had a rant a few weeks ago, about how pathetic this show's narrative had become by forcing all the drama in the world down our throats, by not letting it be natural with its pacing. Less is more, and Hoshiai no Sora was unaware of that concept.

And with the team that was backstabbed at the last minute, about the episodes length, it's the final nail in the coffin of what was one of the most disappointing, and terribly written drama shows I've ever seen in my entire life.

I feel bad for the team since no team deserved to get cucked that hard near the finish line. They were working on a project with a passion, and it all meant nothing when they couldn't complete the story properly.

But I'm not feeling forgiving for the product itself. I knew there were too many flaws with the narrative and even if it was supposed to go 25, it still felt incredibly packed right from the getgo. Axing it may have been a massive curse, and may have been a blessing too given how much worse it would have been if it continued for 3 more months.

The end result is, this show was horrible and didn't know how to contain itself from packing all drama in the world, for every single character, and making parents mostly look like the villains most of the time even though it's not always the case in reality.

Yea, the show clearly showed problems handling its drama from the very get-go. In fact, showing such in the first ep probably wasn’t a good idea to begin with. There’s so many drama-related issues this show has that it’s practically a laundry list. To not even try to solve (actually made it worse) to end the show like that is just atrocious. I can’t forgive it, either, so I’m on the same boat. I don’t blame you for ranting at all.

Also, didn’t Gangsta also have a similar situation with a shitty ending, too, due to production cuts?
Dec 26, 2019 2:33 PM

Mar 2016
Kougeru said:
Akane Kazuki deserved better than this. What we got was solid for half a story but we really need the rest

Unfortunately from what the tweets indicate, we probably won’t get the rest, at least within the near future.

They would need to start from scratch, cause the original script had apparent problems even without the production cuts, anyway
Dec 26, 2019 2:44 PM

Mar 2014
I feel bad for the people who worked on the project, but even if this is the first half, it was still pretty bad imo.
I'm interested to see how everything would be wrapped-up though.
Dec 26, 2019 3:00 PM
Sep 2008
this is so unfair//// in other countries such late changes could be something to sue over, like the producer and animators could have sued the studio/

dont get why ppl complain about the drama, when they actully show things that can happen in real life, as irl there are such parents and families, showing it in anime is rasing awareness// and im glad they did it in a slice of life sport anime and not some magical anime
Dec 26, 2019 5:04 PM

May 2012
I fucking hate that guy. He blocked me for stating an objective fact, that Violet Evergarden's plot was boring.
Dec 26, 2019 5:07 PM
Jan 2018
DatRandomDude said:

Really sad to see this happen.

The main reason I dropped this show is because I knew that it wouldn't properly solve its stories in the remaining episodes, so this sucks.

Despite me not seeing any other Akane Kazuki anime (though I do plan it; Vision of Escaflowne, Noein: To Your Other Self & Birdy The Mighty: Decode), it's very obvious that he puts his all in his projects.
Dec 26, 2019 5:53 PM

Oct 2009
DatRandomDude said:
The production committee backstabbed the team and told them too late that they only got 12 episodes

Just.... WHY? Honestly, never even mind everything in the anime, I'm now just more curious about this. Why on earth would you not tell someone, anyone, about such a change concerning their work as soon as possible? Is there a legit reason for this? Because I fail to find anything other than pure malice. I mean if the decision itself was made too late, that's another matter.... though I don't know if I can see the Japanese doing something like that, either.
Dec 26, 2019 6:33 PM
Aug 2019
yellowheartren said:
DatRandomDude said:
The production committee backstabbed the team and told them too late that they only got 12 episodes

Just.... WHY? Honestly, never even mind everything in the anime, I'm now just more curious about this. Why on earth would you not tell someone, anyone, about such a change concerning their work as soon as possible? Is there a legit reason for this? Because I fail to find anything other than pure malice. I mean if the decision itself was made too late, that's another matter.... though I don't know if I can see the Japanese doing something like that, either.

Ironically, this happened to Escaflowne which is done by the same director. In anime (and audio-visual media) as a whole, this is a very common occurrence. Mabye not exactly like this, but once producers start withdrawing money from a project, ask you reduce the number of episodes or decide they don't particularly like your work, there isn't much you can do except to get new backers or ask for a few episodes to wrap things up.
AbrahamOmosunDec 26, 2019 7:19 PM
Dec 26, 2019 8:48 PM

Jul 2014
AbrahamOmosun said:
yellowheartren said:

Ironically, this happened to Escaflowne which is done by the same director. In anime (and audio-visual media) as a whole, this is a very common occurrence. Mabye not exactly like this, but once producers start withdrawing money from a project, ask you reduce the number of episodes or decide they don't particularly like your work, there isn't much you can do except to get new backers or ask for a few episodes to wrap things up.

This never happened to Escaflowne. I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation. Escaflowne was always intended to be 26 episodes.

https://twitter.com/GWOtaku/status/773270334896234498
Dec 26, 2019 8:58 PM
Dec 26, 2019 9:28 PM

Mar 2009
lol unbelievable. The anime industry is a disaster.
Dec 27, 2019 1:33 AM
Mar 2011
Ryuseishun said:
Also, didn’t Gangsta also have a similar situation with a shitty ending, too, due to production cuts?

Manglobe did have some funding problems but it didn't impact the anime. The ending in the anime is the same way the manga was during production.

The manga was on hiatus and they stopped at the same point.
Dec 27, 2019 2:06 AM

Jul 2016
So that means that it’s not even the case that they tried to cram everything into 12 episodes,it’s more that this is just half of the story.
Dec 27, 2019 4:34 AM
Sep 2017
I have heard that the anime gets continued if the series gets enough support
https://twitter.com/niasagiba/status/1210322672686637063?s=21
Dec 27, 2019 3:37 PM
Jul 2018
I was initially surprised this show was 1-cour because if you looked the director's past TV original works all were solid 2-cour. Some of the gripes I heard with this show feels similar with his last original show birdy decode (first season) that surprisingly on the 2nd cour turned out much better show with the vastly different tone so I assumed he could bring that magic into this show on the 2nd cour once the neccessary character development were established too but sad to see he couldn't do that.
Dec 27, 2019 4:22 PM

Nov 2017
thats honestly sad, i really did enjoy where the series was going but it just feels so incomplete... i really hope he gets to work on the 2nd cour sometime in the future.
Dec 27, 2019 4:28 PM

Mar 2008
Here's a translation of director Akane Kazuki's tweets about how to support the show: https://zzamaamiro.tumblr.com/post/189895027738

Another Twitter thread on this, too, about how to purchase merch internationally, etc.: https://twitter.com/shipperinjapan/status/1210374910368976896

And here's an official survey by TBS, open until the 31st, asking for comments on the show: https://cgi.tbs.co.jp/ppshw/pc/anime/hoshiai/6391/enquete.do
Dec 27, 2019 5:13 PM
Aug 2019
RogerSmith2004 said:
AbrahamOmosun said:

This never happened to Escaflowne. I wish people would stop spreading this misinformation. Escaflowne was always intended to be 26 episodes.

Okay, thank you for this. I have researched further and what I believe is that Escaflowme might have be meant for 39 episodes when the original director Yasuhiro Imagawa was first brought to head it but as he left to work on other projects, they brought in akane a few years later. Mabye the producers reduced the number of episodes or it is just a rumour that gained traction because
some people thought the ending was rushed.
AbrahamOmosunDec 27, 2019 5:20 PM
Dec 27, 2019 6:16 PM

Jul 2014
AbrahamOmosun said:
RogerSmith2004 said:

Okay, thank you for this. I have researched further and what I believe is that Escaflowme might have be meant for 39 episodes when the original director Yasuhiro Imagawa was first brought to head it but as he left to work on other projects, they brought in akane a few years later. Mabye the producers reduced the number of episodes or it is just a rumour that gained traction because
some people thought the ending was rushed.

I agree. I feel like this was probably just an instance of maybe having heard Imagawa's Escaflowne was going to be 39 episodes, and then seeing it come back with Kazuki Akane as director, and assuming the road to that meant the show got cut. When they may have already intended for it to be 26 the moment they brought it back, and since Kazuki Akane's vision for Escaflowne was going to be very different from Yasuhiro Imagawa's, it was kind of something that didn't matter much.
Dec 28, 2019 12:23 PM
Oct 2012
Get woke go broke.
Dec 29, 2019 2:01 PM

Apr 2014
Yang_Wenli said:
Get woke go broke.

Going by ur list and anime manga favs i would assume u would be the last person who says those “alt-right” words 🤔🤔🤔
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Dec 30, 2019 4:05 AM
Jan 2018
AcceleratorAngel said:
Yang_Wenli said:
Get woke go broke.

Going by ur list and anime manga favs i would assume u would be the last person who says those “alt-right” words 🤔🤔🤔

??? How is the anime woke
Apr 20, 2020 9:52 PM

Feb 2018
SkyDrop said:
I was initially surprised this show was 1-cour because if you looked the director's past TV original works all were solid 2-cour. Some of the gripes I heard with this show feels similar with his last original show birdy decode (first season) that surprisingly on the 2nd cour turned out much better show with the vastly different tone so I assumed he could bring that magic into this show on the 2nd cour once the neccessary character development were established too but sad to see he couldn't do that.

Birdy the Mighty is a manga adaptation, not an anime original. Except for part of season 2's end, he was adapting the manga.
Apr 20, 2020 10:05 PM

Jul 2019
I hope they come out with part 2 soon but most likely not gonna happen anytime soon with the corona stuff going on in Japan. But Hoshiai no Sora, top tier anime
May 10, 2020 9:24 AM
Sep 2016
i hope they come out with part two soon plss
Sep 26, 2020 2:08 PM

Oct 2018
arman_olmo said:

Will there be one? I am so sad not to get to see more. I don't understand everyone's complaints. For example, the confrontation between Yuta and his mother happened almost exactly, verbatim, to me. I was caught the same way, my mother said the same thing. There is no exaggeration, no convoluted drama. These things happen for real.

This anime really describes what it is like. I think some of us really need a continuation :(
Sep 26, 2020 3:42 PM

Dec 2016
Kawaritai said:
arman_olmo said:

Will there be one? I am so sad not to get to see more. I don't understand everyone's complaints. For example, the confrontation between Yuta and his mother happened almost exactly, verbatim, to me. I was caught the same way, my mother said the same thing. There is no exaggeration, no convoluted drama. These things happen for real.

This anime really describes what it is like. I think some of us really need a continuation :(

only what we got is this short
Link to official video

also discussion about this short
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1841723
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.96/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.161/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.84/? - weekly) | Mama Yuuyu (Ch.29 - Finished)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.52/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Sep 27, 2020 9:26 AM

Oct 2018
Nieznajomy43 said:
Kawaritai said:

only what we got is this short
Link to official video

also discussion about this short
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1841723

Thank you. I wonder this means? Please say there will be more, I need to know what happens.
Nov 17, 2020 1:54 PM

Jan 2008
A 2nd season is not going to happen, for several reason. But the most important reasons is that is was not popular, and did not make money. At this point, anyone who agrees to make a 2nd season will be going in knowing they will lose money. What company would agree to that?
Nov 17, 2020 2:14 PM

Dec 2016
DmonHiro said:
A 2nd season is not going to happen, for several reason. But the most important reasons is that is was not popular, and did not make money. At this point, anyone who agrees to make a 2nd season will be going in knowing they will lose money. What company would agree to that?

Kickstarter hehehe... ;)
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
Dec 22, 2020 2:47 PM

Jul 2017
Nieznajomy43 said:
DmonHiro said:

Kickstarter hehehe... ;)

As far as I'm aware, a Kickstarter has never funded a full length season of anime.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Dec 22, 2020 4:08 PM

Dec 2016
zamandzoe said:
Nieznajomy43 said:

Kickstarter hehehe... ;)

As far as I'm aware, a Kickstarter has never funded a full length season of anime.

Possible, I personally backed 3rd season of Dropkick (that was successful) on some Japanese website but I have zero knowledge about japanese so I can't follow this projekt.

Maybe kickstarter for eng viewers?

but there also were successful kickstarter campaigns like "NEKOPARA Anime OVA", Wakfu, "Under the Dog" or "Gunsmith Cats" HD 1080p edition.
Manga recommendation:
Anime recommendation:
Mar 4, 2021 1:22 AM
Jan 2021
any news when is this happening? Can we take his word as if it's 100% gonna a happen or? I love this show so much T-T
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2019

238 by thatguyevan »»
Apr 11, 9:46 PM

» "Special Fan Movie" Has Been Released

zamandzoe - May 20, 2020

22 by quietkun27 »»
Feb 23, 7:16 AM

Poll: » Hoshiai no Sora Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

130 by Limi »»
Dec 24, 2023 6:31 AM

» Continuation...

Kurdo - Apr 19, 2021

19 by DmonHiro »»
Nov 25, 2023 4:48 PM

» Some scenes missing in Crunchyroll?

KYSmequick - Oct 15, 2023

3 by heelyfrog »»
Nov 15, 2023 1:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.