Forum Settings
Forums

Changing username & users who don't use the site

New
May 29, 2011 11:14 PM

Jun 2008
I know how this works but I have hard time of choosing one as all I want to use are already in use. Few of these include users that have registered, but not never even used the site as they have 0 posts, 0 anime/manga listed and last visit date from years ago. I'm wondering if Admins or someone could delete those users and free up usernames?
May 30, 2011 1:01 AM

Jan 2008
This question's been asked before.. so I'll answer it: No. The only way to free up a username is to mail or comment the user and hope that they get it and reply back with yes.
May 30, 2011 7:00 AM

Oct 2007
I would delete all the inactive accounts that were made years ago with no list, no favs, no post, no comment, no profile picture. BUT THAT WOULD LOWER OUR TOTAL MEMBER COUNT AND CRAVE WOULD BE SAD.

Also, while i don't think it would effect our old users, you now must submit a new email when you apply for a new account. So the new members that get deleted would be screwed... til they get a new email.
MettyJun 14, 2011 7:08 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2011 7:13 AM

Jun 2008
Metty said:
i would delete all the inactive accounts that were made years ago with no list, no favs, no post, no comment, no profile picture. BUT THAT WOULD LOWER OUR TOTAL MEMBER COUNT AND CRAVE WOULD BE SAD.

Also, while i don't think it would effect our old user you now must submit a new email when you apply for a new account so the new members that got deleted would be screwed... til they got a new email

Can't you just rename the old users then? It wouldn't delete their profile but they would have to assign new username to themselves if they ever returned unless they wanted to keep what you gave. Ex. You could give something like '' tempname '' and add numbers there like tempname01 and so on.

On another note, why wont my avatar change? The 5min delay is BS and why is there even a delay in the first place? Go to any other forum and the avatar will change instantly. I changed the avatar already yesterday and no change. Today I tried deleting it and then applying a new one, and still no change. It's been hours since then.
May 30, 2011 1:29 PM

May 2008
-Yukikaze- said:
Can't you just rename the old users then? It wouldn't delete their profile but they would have to assign new username to themselves if they ever returned unless they wanted to keep what you gave.
Problem with this is that you login with your username. That means if you don't know what your new username is, you are essentially locked out and it looks as if your account has been removed or hijacked.

They do actually come back sometimes even when they've been offline for years, though yes most of them are useless accounts. I know that when I first joined mal I really didn't even do much for a couple months. Some people join to preview mal and then lose interest, and come across it again later and want their accounts back.

The policy is not to delete accounts at all, even by the user's direct request, excepting perhaps spambots and egregious breaking of the terms of use; this is both because removing all those old posts breaks conversations in topics they have posted in, and because removing lots of post/comments at once can significantly impact the database servers. Occasionally exceptions are made for empty accounts when they have good reason, but usually just renaming the account is the solution (which users can do themselves).

You can attempt to contact the user and ask them to change their name, but we're not going to go around renaming old accounts just so you can use their names. Deal with it, and try to be more creative~

-Yukikaze- said:
On another note, why wont my avatar change? The 5min delay is BS and why is there even a delay in the first place? Go to any other forum and the avatar will change instantly. I changed the avatar already yesterday and no change. Today I tried deleting it and then applying a new one, and still no change. It's been hours since then.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=76425
There are infrastructure issues that make it so that images on the CDN cannot be updated immediately. Instead, they get regularly copied over in batches when there are changes. It's actually still pretty fast but can change back and forth for a short while, and they also get cached on your computer for an hour because of the way http caching works. Try viewing the image directly after a while and then refresh.

There is also an unrelated issue that affects profile pictures.

I am a banana.
Jun 11, 2011 9:29 PM

Feb 2007
saka said:
-Yukikaze- said:
Can't you just rename the old users then? It wouldn't delete their profile but they would have to assign new username to themselves if they ever returned unless they wanted to keep what you gave.
Problem with this is that you login with your username. That means if you don't know what your new username is, you are essentially locked out and it looks as if your account has been removed or hijacked.

They do actually come back sometimes even when they've been offline for years, though yes most of them are useless accounts. I know that when I first joined mal I really didn't even do much for a couple months. Some people join to preview mal and then lose interest, and come across it again later and want their accounts back.

The policy is not to delete accounts at all, even by the user's direct request, excepting perhaps spambots and egregious breaking of the terms of use; this is both because removing all those old posts breaks conversations in topics they have posted in, and because removing lots of post/comments at once can significantly impact the database servers. Occasionally exceptions are made for empty accounts when they have good reason, but usually just renaming the account is the solution (which users can do themselves).

You can attempt to contact the user and ask them to change their name, but we're not going to go around renaming old accounts just so you can use their names. Deal with it, and try to be more creative~

Simple fix: include email as alternative for username and mark it with a description on the login pages as an alternative login measure for username. I'm sure something like this could be easily enough integrated in.

I don't see why loyal site members would have to be turned away just because some random potentially hoarded many names that others could be making use of.
Jun 11, 2011 11:55 PM

Jun 2008
Despised said:

I don't see why loyal site members would have to be turned away just because some random potentially hoarded many names that others could be making use of.

I don't see how that "loyalty" entitles them to usernames. Yes its pretty lame when throw away accounts are hoarding up 'good' usernames but thats just something you might have to deal with. You're not entitled to those names. If people want a username thats taken they'll just have to cook up some new name.

And at the end of the day its just a username.
Jun 12, 2011 3:18 AM

Feb 2007
That's ok. It isn't for you to understand.
Jun 12, 2011 4:50 AM

Mar 2009
Think of it this way. If you have chosen a username and it's been taken, why stick to it when you can come up with many other different untaken usernames? Plus, if someone has the username already, it's no longer unique so think of something else.
Jun 12, 2011 5:18 AM

Feb 2007
A user can be defined as someone who operates and uses the site. A member can be defined as someone apart of this community in a similar manner as a user. It would be impossible to actually be called a member of the community if you do not participate whatsoever, thus it would be impossible to be called a user of this site if you don't use it at all.

If account holders are then considered neither users or members of the community, it would be difficult to suggest their usernames imply ownership.

Furthermore, if you choose a name and don't visit for a long time, chances are the creator of that account may not even know what their login is anymore, which I think is a valid argument for additionally allowing email accounts to be a means to login to the site alternative to remembering your username.
Jun 13, 2011 9:43 PM

Nov 2007
I actually agree with this and vaguely recall suggesting such or supporting a similar suggestion in the past.

A lot of sites once upon a time used to do "whiteouts" -- deleting inactive, unused accounts, periodically. Back in those days it was to save space and such, which is less of a concern these days, but hoarding of names is an issue.

If someone has no list, no posts and hasn't logged in for a year, they should be deleted. Maybe after two years of no login even with a list they should be deleted. It gets more complex if they post on the forums/in clubs, though. It's messy to delete accounts that have more than a handful of posts. Personally, I'm still for it, but I know some others are not.

Unfortunately there are much bigger problems for Xinil to deal with, so given the limited time he gives MAL these days, I'd rather he work on more important stuff.
Jun 24, 2011 5:39 AM

Apr 2010
You may try to change it a little so you will be able to use it. Lety's try your current one:
"-Yukikaze-" You added those two "-" and made a new username that never was there before. You can do so with whatever thing you want.

Jun 24, 2011 8:48 PM

Apr 2008
EfiChan said:
You may try to change it a little so you will be able to use it. Lety's try your current one:
"-Yukikaze-" You added those two "-" and made a new username that never was there before. You can do so with whatever thing you want.
that doesn't solve the problem that saka describes.

Jun 28, 2011 11:20 AM

Jun 2011
The solution for comments and forum posts is simple. There are two options.

1:> Modify the code (and database) to allow comments to have an 'account deleted' option.

2:> Create a single 'deleted account' account, and shift ownership of all posts by [insert accounts to be deleted here] to that.

It is common practice for sites to delete defunct accounts. Not only does a pile of taken usernames discourage signing up, it also takes up database space. And while the space is incredibly cheap, the search times are not. The less junk there is in the database, the faster it works.

Since the site already tracks the last login date/time, it shouldn't be hard to know when someone is inactive. It is equally simple to send out warning emails.

And if you want to be really clever, create a filetype to dump anime list data into. Email this file to the user when the account is deleted. Create a function to import this file. Then if they decide to rejoin, they can instantly restore their list under their new account. This could also work as a personal list backup.

There are already export functions for the anime and manga lists. I also seem to recall some kind of import function from other sites, but that might be unrelated.

And of course, if you delete a user, you should be deleting the records in the database. As a result, there should be no record of that email being used after that point, so they should easily be able to re-register.
Look, the world won't conquer itself, ok?
Aug 20, 2012 2:58 PM
May 2012
Wait are you able to rename your own account? If so ah crap I would've just done that rather then make a new one -__-
Mar 9, 2017 3:27 AM
Dec 2016
How to change password?
Mar 9, 2017 3:36 AM

Feb 2013
TheMiddleOfDead said:
How to change password?

Go to Account Settings by clicking on your user name on the upper right side of the screen and scroll down.
Oct 17, 2017 2:47 AM

Oct 2015
Aydin said:
Sorry for bringing an old thread back alive. I wasn't aware about this thread since I've actually wrote everything below beforehand....

All the options below are plausible, there shouldn't be a lock-out, considering that users would be reminded before and after expiry (reminder / warning)

My suggestion:

Allow MAL users to change their username to an existing username that has been inactive for more than "x" years (2 to 5 years?), maybe this could be a feature for only MAL supporters.

This can be approached in various ways:
1- Auto expire inactive username after 'x' years. (automatically change username and add number. E.g. "InactiveUser#<number>" ) and possibly purge account for good if they do not login for another ‘x’ more years (…Then proceed to option 2)
2- Auto expire inactive MAL account (account is purged for good after certain ‘x’ years of inactivity)
3- On demand, request an admin/mod to make username changes to an existing inactive username (requiring their approval, possibly through a form submission)
4- Keep inactive usernames and only expire them when another user demands name change to it and complies with all the required checks (E.g. inactive for ‘x’ years and MAL supporter, etc.)

The following describes the process:

1- (Automatic / no demand required) After ‘x’ years total inactivity (access/login) only the username will automatically change to something like: "InactiveUser#<number>" (where <number> increments for each inactive user. The inactive user will receive an email before and after the change with a warning that if he/she is inactive for more than ‘x’ more years the account ‘may’ be purged for good, see option 2)
2- (Automatic / no demand required) When MAL user account is inactive for more than ‘x’ years, permanently purge the account (allowing new users to register under the purged username)
3- (Manual / Admin approval only) Process username changes manually by admin approval (only to those whom are changing it to an existing inactive username) for various administrative reasons but instead this requires admin overhead and approval for the changes. Similar to anime submissions, users can submit a form, requesting username change to an existing/inactive username which is then reviewed by an admin or mod.
4- (Automatic / process on demand) This is similar to the previous one, except the process could be automatic instead of admin approval. When changing username to an existing username, send a query check, determine if the inactive account has logged in for the past "x" years then permit or deny the username change. If it passes through validation check (inactive for more than 'x' years), then modify the inactive username and rename to something like "InactiveUser#<number>" (where <number> increments for each inactive user) then allow the new username change (permit overtake of the username, considering it complies with all validation check)

maybe: ex-mods/admins (privileged users) can be immune to this so their username will not auto-expire.
Hey man, there's already a dedicated thread for username claiming for inactive accounts here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1430734

Although it's locked at the moment, it'll be open soon as soon as Luna modifies the rules
Your Profile though :x
Feb 8, 2020 4:29 AM
Feb 2020
Y not be able to deactivate ur account like Every other website?
Feb 9, 2020 10:18 PM

Jan 2020
Is there a way mods/admins can swap my name to this acc. https://myanimelist.net/profile/lei
Who had literally 0 nothing in his profile :/

Made by k3ti

More topics from this board

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

16 by Piiyuuush »»
51 minutes ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.