Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 28, 2014 4:27 AM

Aug 2013
Is this worth watching if I haven't seen the other series (well, I have obviously as a kid, who hasn't? but I don't know key plot points or anything, I know it's very episodic, but are there some things that will confuse me if I haven't seen the older series?) also, if so, is there possibly a quick summary I could find before watching XY?

I know all the first 3 generations pokemon by name once I see them, I'm a bit 50/50 with the 4th gen, don't know much about 5th gen and absolutely clueless about this 6th gen.
Feb 28, 2014 4:47 AM

Aug 2013
I've already made my decision... I really like the feel of the old Pokemon, so I'm gonna watch the old stuff using this guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wRWyhXkL4x5x7vgBXS-HAa3MKhD2gODGEezVn9e_OOU/edit

to cut out the shit that doesn't really effect the story, and then I'm gonna replay gen 4 and 5 games because I really wanna know the new pokemon and then watch XY :D
Feb 28, 2014 4:54 AM

Jun 2011
Ferolex said:
I've already made my decision... I really like the feel of the old Pokemon, so I'm gonna watch the old stuff using this guide https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wRWyhXkL4x5x7vgBXS-HAa3MKhD2gODGEezVn9e_OOU/edit

Thanks for that link. It makes rewatching Pokemon a lot easier.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Feb 28, 2014 6:35 AM
Mar 2013
ToG25thBaam said:
Ferolex said:

Thanks for that link. It makes rewatching Pokemon a lot easier.

I could've used this guide when I rewatched the series a couple months ago. Oh well, atleast I'm caught up to XY now. I might use this in the future though, thanks Ferolex.
Mar 2, 2014 6:00 PM

Aug 2013
I take back what I said there, I'm just gonna watch Pokemon normally, I got REALLY BORED last night and watched 6-7 episodes while in bed, I don't know why, but I found it really relaxing... it wasn't amazing by any means... but it was fun. I'll just keep watching, and maybe play through diamond/pearl, b/w again and then possibly get a 3DS one day (I kinda want one again, I sold mine) for Pokemon X or Y
Mar 3, 2014 2:11 PM

Apr 2013
You can easily finish the first season without skipping but the rest starts to become unbearable.

I watched first 92 episodes without skipping, then slowed-down to a point where I almost stopped, then I found the guide you mentioned and watched rest of the first 5 seasons according to it... Let me tell you, even the guide wasn't enough, I skipped half of the episodes, especially 4th and 5th season IIRC.

I also want to ask the same question you originally asked. My version would be: Can I watch this without watching Advanced Generation and above (6th season and above)?

I'm currently *trying* Advanced, 1st episode wasn't bad, I didn't actually skip any of it -probably thanks to japanese dub- but I feel like I may not like it afterwards due to new Pokémon styles, new everything etc. And one of the main reasons I re-watched Pokémon was the left memories of great episodes of original series. I never watched Advanced or above as a child so there really shouldn't be anything for me.

But I feel like XY might be something I can enjoy, even tough I haven't seen a minute of it. Better mystery and adventure elements etc.

Should I skip to XY or do you recommend any others before?
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
Mar 4, 2014 1:48 AM

Jan 2013
I personally think both AG and DP were great and worth the watch, but if they don't catch your interest early on, I doubt you could get through all episodes of them. It took me about 2 months for each with an average of 2-6 episodes a day. If you decide to watch AG, I also recommend watching the last ~10 episodes of the OS, starting from EP265 when they meet Harrison (the Silver Conference gets referred to early on in AG, you can see the Ash vs Gary league battle, and the last episode directly connects it to Hoenn).

Johto is infamous for having the worst fillers, so I wouldn't recommend the OS, except for the first season if you want nostalgia. While I liked BW too, it's nowhere near as good as AG or DP, and ends with two pure filler arcs.

But you can just skip straight to XY if you want, there's nothing you wouldn't understand without the previous seasons. There's one character from Kalos who meets Ash near the end of BW and they travel there together, but that's basically the only thing that could be a bit confusing at first.
AipomMar 4, 2014 1:58 AM
Mar 4, 2014 5:59 AM

Nov 2013
Prequel said:
Should I skip to XY or do you recommend any others before?
Go watch 'Pokemon the Origin' it's far more entertaining than xy.
Mar 4, 2014 6:41 AM

Apr 2013
I tried a few episodes of AG, DP & XY. While they weren't bad, there was nothing too interesting for me so I just skipped them and watched Pokemon: The Origin. Just finished it, it was great. It was a bit too fast/short but it was 'the ultimate refined Pokemon experience' for me as I said on my mini-review on my list.

I guess that's the end of my Pokemon journey for now.
Open to chat about any storytelling related subject as long as it's clever and respectful.
Myanimelist
Mar 11, 2014 1:26 PM

Sep 2009
I think xy is really worth watching, it's not as good as other animes because there's basically no real plot other than ash traveling and collecting badges but one episode per week isn't that bad.
It's rather entertaining and the whole cast is so cute and lovely.
If you like to see your favorite pokemon animated and to relax 20 minutes while watching a series full of friendship and humor you can definitely watch it

Mar 12, 2014 1:15 AM

Sep 2012
well, currently i am watching pokemon from the first season....

now i am at season 12...

i didn't skip any episode because it was really worth watching... and i played first + second + third generations of pokemon games while watching... and now gonna start the next generation soon =)

so i think you should watch all episodes don't skip any.... you will enjoy it =)

that's my opinion....
Mar 30, 2014 12:52 PM
Mar 2014
XY has been decent so far so you should watch yes.
Mar 30, 2014 9:21 PM

Jun 2009
I skipped most of black and white in the english dub. It is more tolerable listening the original bgm from gen 1 in this one. Cause i am liking this so far.
Nov 22, 2016 6:47 AM
Nov 2016
So far I've watched from the first episode of Indigo League all the way to Master Quest, and it's getting kind of boring. I have heard a lot of good things about XY, and was wondering if I could watch it without watching Advanced and above without being spoilt about anything big.

Thanks!
Nov 22, 2016 12:07 PM

Nov 2014
MGaming said:
So far I've watched from the first episode of Indigo League all the way to Master Quest, and it's getting kind of boring. I have heard a lot of good things about XY, and was wondering if I could watch it without watching Advanced and above without being spoilt about anything big.

Thanks!
It's definitely one of the better pokemon season.. Then again, they still follow the standard format of Pokemon anime which means they do have a lot of "fillers" episodes.. As for your 2nd point, well you won't miss anything given that it has little to no relation with hoenn region at all.. Mind you that if you didn't play the game you won't recognize some hoenn, sinnoh, or unova pokemons though, given that they won't explain you anything about those pokemon considering they assume us to have the knowledge about them..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

Nov 22, 2016 12:27 PM

Jun 2011
^ I think XY started really well and had a lot of promises, but it just kinda stalled after a while, and the character of the Pokemon are very generic, none of them are really that interesting aside from maybe their design and skills.

@MGaming

I honestly wouldn't recommend skipping regions, if you're tired of watching the whole season, you can maybe follow this list and watch only the relevant episodes. Watching Ash as he starts a new journey into a new region is an adventure of its own.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Nov 23, 2016 2:42 AM

Nov 2014
ToG25thBaam said:
^ I think XY started really well and had a lot of promises, but it just kinda stalled after a while, and the character of the Pokemon are very generic, none of them are really that interesting aside from maybe their design and skills..
Haha, yeah.. To be fair, plot is never Pokemon strongest point, given that it has to keep airing until the new generation introduced, which is why they always resort to some massive amount of "fillers" like i mentioned before.. I did heard that the Sun & Moon will take a different approach though..
Reality is the lifeblood that makes a work pulse with energy. Reality itself is entertainment

More topics from this board

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 93 Discussion

ETX - Oct 27, 2015

27 by PrOxAnto »»
Mar 4, 7:48 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 87 Discussion

Aipom - Sep 26, 2015

12 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 20, 7:47 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 86 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Sep 9, 2015

19 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 17, 8:33 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 78 Discussion

SweetKiichigo - Jul 8, 2015

9 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 7, 5:06 AM

Poll: » Pokemon XY Episode 72 Discussion

210125 - May 14, 2015

16 by PrOxAnto »»
Feb 6, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.