Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 21, 2015 5:46 PM

Mar 2014
1. I think the genre filter should include Serial and Episodic as choices.

The genre filter already includes stuff that isn't strictly about genre, but which are still useful options to have. I feel this request falls into that category. Being able to separate out shows that are episodic from the shows with a clear serial narrative would be nice.

Or it could even not be part of the genre selection, just another option that's available. Being able to pick filter Episodic and Serial would be great.

---

2. Also, make the genre selection into something that users can vote on.

A simple thumbs up, thumbs down system. The more votes a show gets for a certain genre, the higher that genre name rises on the shows page. The top 5 genres get displayed on the page for the show, in order of votes, and the rest are under a more+.

I think adding a feature like this would make the genre selections much more useful, because right now so many shows seem miscategorized. There's stuff in Slice of Life that probably shouldn't be in there, and stuff that isn't that probably should. It's just sort of a mess. I think a thumbs up thumbs down voting system would clean some of that up.

(also, it's different from tags, because users can't make their own, it's just a selection of the existing genres, but votable)

---

P.S. Fix the tags system.
hamsterallianceJan 21, 2015 5:51 PM
- Hamst3r
Jan 21, 2015 9:01 PM

Oct 2009
1 is something that AniDB already has
2 is something MAL and AniDB used to have but both refused because "users are dumb and it doesn't work as well as expected"
Jan 21, 2015 9:02 PM

Jul 2012
Well, you could just google if it's episodic/serial if all fails ^_^
Jan 21, 2015 9:30 PM

Mar 2014
Luna_slave_No61 said:
1 is something that AniDB already has
2 is something MAL and AniDB used to have but both refused because "users are dumb and it doesn't work as well as expected"

1. Cool, It would be nice to have it here too!

2. The old tags system shows that it can work though. All of the Popular Tags I've seen on old MAL pages are accurate. The Popular Tags system even works on Steam, even with the ability for users to add custom tags like, "boobies" and "walking simulator" - the most accurate tags rise to the top, so those are the tags that get displayed.

And if you don't allow custom tags, you only have the official MAL genres to work with, which keeps dumb tags out of the equation. The user voting system works fine on Steam and other sites with user voting, and it seems that something akin to it used to work on MAL.
- Hamst3r
Jan 21, 2015 10:51 PM

Oct 2009
hamsteralliance said:
2. The old tags system shows that it can work though. All of the Popular Tags I've seen on old MAL pages are accurate. The Popular Tags system even works on Steam, even with the ability for users to add custom tags like, "boobies" and "walking simulator" - the most accurate tags rise to the top, so those are the tags that get displayed.

And if you don't allow custom tags, you only have the official MAL genres to work with, which keeps dumb tags out of the equation. The user voting system works fine on Steam and other sites with user voting, and it seems that something akin to it used to work on MAL.

Yeah, they should re-enable it
Feb 1, 2016 6:08 AM
May 2011
didnt want to make a new topic

but i want #1
Feb 1, 2016 7:41 AM
Jul 2015
It would be hard to classify some shows, I think. Cowboy Bebop is generally episodic but has an overarching narrative with a climax and conclusion.
Feb 2, 2016 5:45 PM

Dec 2012
PolarKoala said:
It would be hard to classify some shows, I think. Cowboy Bebop is generally episodic but has an overarching narrative with a climax and conclusion.

That can be true for any genre categorization, though. Some shows are mostly comedy, but get a more dramatic feel towards the end, or start as a mystery and turn into action midways.
That's why something collaborative like the second suggestion made by the OP would be helpful. If there are a lot of "thumbs up" on both "episodic" and "overarching plot" genres, for example, then the users could infer that it is mostly episodic with a grander plot linking everything up.
Dec 9, 2017 9:47 AM

Oct 2015
Someone please bump this up, it's just too useful not to happen. Same with the isekai genre.
Dec 9, 2017 1:29 PM

Oct 2014
1. A large portion of anime are both serial and episodic (Gintama, K-On!, Cardcaptor Sakura, ect) so rather than being a black and white thing that would just add two more tags to further confuse things. MAL is pretty bad with tags so they would often get misused.

2. MAL used to show which tags were most used by users, but since the tags section is often used for other things and "Sunday" could end up being the most common tag for a seasonal airing on Sundays it didn't work out. Memes could also emerge from this so if enough people voted Another as being comedy or Pingu as being psychological that could end up being a less accurate way of categorizing anime than MAL's normal way of doing so.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.