Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 6, 2013 6:25 PM

Jun 2013
Weeaboo and Otaku.

Both a title for someone who likes japanese culture(anime,manga,more)...

But whats the actual difference?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 6, 2013 6:26 PM
Jul 2012
none
Jul 6, 2013 6:28 PM

Jan 2010
One is like the Boogieman and the other is like a swarm of angry little imps.
Jul 6, 2013 6:29 PM
Mar 2011
yet aggan otaku useed wrongly
ans i think peoople who use the the word weeaboo shpuld get banned or warned cause its an insult

i use an insulting word my post got deleted and i gpt a wrning for it

Double Standers much
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 6, 2013 6:31 PM

Aug 2012
Otaku are people that live for their collection-hobby, the word by itself has nothing to do with anime/manga. It could be model trains or figure ducks and other random stuff like that

weeaboo are extreme(delusional) fans of japanese "culture" & anime/manga
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jul 6, 2013 6:33 PM

Jun 2013
Ghostony said:
Otaku are people that live for their collection-hobby, the word by itself has nothing to do with anime/manga. It could be model trains or figure ducks and other random stuff like that

Well as far as I knew about Otaku.. in North America its a badge for someone who likes anime/manga.. but in japan its more of an insult for someone obsessive about it. I just wanted to know if weeaboo meant the same.
Jul 6, 2013 6:42 PM

Oct 2012
Depends on the country really, there's alot more extreme between them in Japan.
Jul 6, 2013 6:43 PM

Nov 2010
Zodezu said:
Ghostony said:

Well as far as I knew about Otaku.. in North America its a badge for someone who likes anime/manga.. but in japan its more of an insult for someone obsessive about it. I just wanted to know if weeaboo meant the same.
It's like he said, otaku basically means nerd or geek, it's a Japanese word, you can be a cooking otaku. It would most likely be used as an insult in Japan.

Weeaboo is an English word which basically means someone so obsessed with Japan that they forsake their own culture, use Japanese words in regular conversation, dress like anime characters, etc.

Their difference, otaku is a Japanese word for an obsessive fan. While weeaboo is an English word for someone obsessed with Japan and their culture.
Jul 6, 2013 6:43 PM
May 2010
Urbandictionary is your best friend.
Jul 6, 2013 6:47 PM

Jan 2013
None.

You'll still be considered a body pillow loving anime virgin by those who hate anime with a passion.

Just stick with "Guy who has anime as a hobby" or something.
Jul 6, 2013 6:47 PM

Apr 2010
Pretty much the same. 12 year old anime fans have the delusion that being an otaku is not derogatory though for whatever reason. Weeaboo has a more funny connotation due to the way its generally used satirically.
Jul 6, 2013 6:51 PM

Jul 2013
One sucks, and the other one sucks harder. Which one that may be, and what exactly they are sucking, is up to your imagination or your back closet.
Pikachu wants some
Jul 6, 2013 6:51 PM

Jul 2012
Introver D: Nuuu whyyy!! I was about to explain it T.T How could youuhhh...

Well i'll just state my opinion on this matter I guess.. =-=

I don't think its actually nice to classify people in any manner in the first place... but its human nature to categorize things... I mean I myself do it by reflex... Its just how our brain function by finding the closest related matter to it...

Weeaboo or Otaku, or what ever you are... if you feel you are happy living the way you are... then be the way you are now... : / I'll do my best not to judge people since I love how I live and do things and happy with the way I am now

Though I think I am already quite close to being an otaku... my classmates used to say I'm a Weeabo for imitating Japanese words and phrases around them... but to clear things up, I'm just training my nihon D: and show my passion for anime T.T

Peace out! *poof*
Jul 6, 2013 6:52 PM
Mar 2011
yet aggan otaku useed wrongly
ans i think peoople who use the the word weeaboo shpuld get banned or warned cause its an insult

i use an insulting word my post got deleted and i gpt a wrning for it

Double Standers much
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jul 6, 2013 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
Weeaboo refers to a Westerner who is obsessed with Japanese culture, or substitutes Japanese words like it's fashionable.

Otaku is the Japanese word for geek.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 6, 2013 6:54 PM

Mar 2013
They're just labels whose meanings are entirely subjective.
Jul 6, 2013 6:54 PM
Mar 2011
katsucats said:
Weeaboo refers to a Westerner who is obsessed with Japanese culture, or substitutes Japanese words like it's fashionable.

Otaku os not as much os an insult as it once was here so is agree with this

Jul 6, 2013 6:56 PM

Jan 2009
otaku are obsessed people
weaboo are like the lite version of otaku and mainly about anime stuffs
Jul 6, 2013 6:56 PM

Mar 2013
DateYutaka said:
katsucats said:

The word "otaku" originated as an insult, and it still is.
This just makes it all the more cringe-worthy when someone proudly calls themselves an otaku, like they deserve a medal or something.
Jul 6, 2013 6:58 PM

Oct 2012
StrictlyStupid said:
DateYutaka said:
katsucats said:

This just makes it all the more cringe-worthy when someone proudly calls themselves an otaku, like they deserve a medal or something.
Geek used to be an insult as well, like nerd (they still may be), but now you have people reclaiming the word. It's the same thing. Same with "nigga", or bitch.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 6, 2013 6:59 PM

Jul 2012
StrictlyStupid said:
They're just labels whose meanings are entirely subjective.

Here to agree o-o

There are people who actually is prideful of having those titles upon themselves... some find it as an insult...

To be honest.. I used to like being called an Otaku... and I didn't like being associated with the word Weeaboo and "wannabe's"
Jul 6, 2013 6:59 PM
Mar 2011
StrictlyStupid said:
DateYutaka said:
katsucats said:

i said less of one cause of what Densha Otoko did for Otaku to make it less of an insiult

Ishihara's stupid laws dammaged that some

Jul 6, 2013 7:01 PM

Oct 2012
one is about people obsessed with japanese culture the other is about being a fan of anime
RRRRRRRRRR
Jul 6, 2013 7:03 PM

Nov 2008
An weaboo is considered more of an annoyance in popular culture

Depending on what kind of Otaku you are, you can be considered harmless (and most types of Otaku are) or sick and dangerous (Idol Otaku, and that negative image has never been sheded off one bit).

Jul 6, 2013 7:07 PM
Mar 2011
Hoppy said:
An weaboo is considered more of an annoyance in popular culture

Depending on what kind of Otaku you are, you can be considered harmless (and most types of Otaku are) or sick and dangerous (Idol Otaku, and that negative image has never been sheded off one bit).

Sums it up

Jul 7, 2013 5:04 AM

Apr 2013
Despite it's original usage Otaku is to anime fans as brony is to MLP fans. Some people have taken to it as a cute label for their tight-knit communities. The problem with labels is they become loaded and end up carrying with them a lot of negative connotations. It really depends on who's using the label and for what, but I'd advise against the use of any, it's just weird.

I'm not sure weeaboo was ever used as anything other than a derogatory term, but I could be wrong. Some people do take great pride in having an unhealthy obsession with Japanese culture.
Jul 7, 2013 5:47 AM
Feb 2013
i win
Jul 7, 2013 6:02 AM

Jul 2011
I've never held any connotations with otaku myself, but I would assume DateYutaka's knowledge is accurate on that matter.

As far as weeaboo though, I have basically viewed it as people who idolize Japanese culture to the point they try and emulate it. I also find they tend to have romanticized views in regards to Japanese culture. An example would be samurai, of course that's not exclusive to weeaboo's, but they tend to have this overall idea that anything Japanese is better than everything else.

The last thing that comes to mind is how they completely bastardize an entire language and think it's ok, often using the pitiful excuse they are 'learning' the language.

Jul 7, 2013 10:13 AM

Jun 2008
Thread is pretty much answered at this point.

Locked.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

31 by cody »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 5 hours ago

10 by cody »»
9 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

68 by Dracowyn »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

36 by cody »»
28 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.