Forum Settings
Forums

New 'Dragon Ball Kai' TV Anime Announced to Air April 6

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 23, 2014 7:19 PM

Jun 2012
bpSORE said:
honestly whats the point of kai? was the original not good enough?

It wasn't, that's kinda the point.
Feb 23, 2014 7:30 PM
Feb 2012
Kaimon237 said:
bpSORE said:

how is kai any better ? the voices are slightly different . sure its no fillers but dbz did a pretty good job with the fillers . garlic jr saga was decent .
Feb 23, 2014 7:42 PM

Feb 2012
I'm a sucker for the original series. I will not watch DBZ Kai again.
Feb 23, 2014 10:11 PM

Apr 2010
bpSORE said:
Kaimon237 said:
bpSORE said:

how is kai any better ? the voices are slightly different . sure its no fillers but dbz did a pretty good job with the fillers . garlic jr saga was decent .

The problem with filler in general is that it brings things, mainly story and character progression, to a halt. The filler episodes can be entertaining in itself but are ultimately there to waste time, giving us no new information. So having an episode of Cell threatening the world with a tournament and then the next episode having Goku driving a car is jarring in of itself. It's why people complain about DBZ or other shows like Bleach for having pacing issues because filler inherently does that sort of thing.
LuigiFreakFeb 23, 2014 10:17 PM
Feb 23, 2014 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
bpSORE said:
Kaimon237 said:
bpSORE said:

Goku vs Frieza was 18 episodes long thanks to filler.
Feb 23, 2014 10:27 PM

Dec 2012
Even though I'll probably end up watching it anyway, I'll always prefer the original. I never minded the drug out scenes, I enjoyed them actually.
Feb 24, 2014 3:59 AM

Jun 2012
bpSORE said:
Kaimon237 said:
bpSORE said:

-Better voice acting
-Script more faithful to the manga
-Music that fits the series better (Falconer had some catchy songs but he was NOT Dragon Ball)
-Better pacing/way less time spent on powering up
-Removed filler that would cause inconsistencies
-Effectively kills everything people used to make fun of DBZ for, really.
Feb 25, 2014 8:10 PM

Jun 2009
I can understand that people hate the Buu saga, but it pretty much retained the quirkiness of the original Dragonball.

Also, Kai gets rid of most of the filler that doesn't have anything to do with the original. The dialogue is a lot more faithful and sounds much better. I mean, here's a line from the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ73sNY7ZNU

The dub's lines are very awkward and are only good to laugh at. It doesn't represent the manga and series fairly well. A lot of people haven't read the manga, and if you did and then watched the show again, it'll be much more obvious where the show screws up.

VA update is a bit mixed. I know people love to hate Gohan's, but Frieza's this time was much better. He went from raspy grandma to evil gentleman.

I know most people see DBZ as a meme, but the actual true content is very enjoyable and Kai gives the english audience a chance to experience the real DBZ.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Feb 27, 2014 11:32 AM

Aug 2008
It will be nice to get some long running simple action series without angsty teenagers looking like grade-schoolers and underdeveloped frustrated girls destroying buildings with swords. I kind of miss simple premises like 'punch the bad guy in the face and then punch some more'.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Feb 27, 2014 5:24 PM

Aug 2011
I cant wait

Feb 28, 2014 11:40 AM

Sep 2013
They better not take out buu killing people and all the violence and do vegito justice.
Feb 28, 2014 1:13 PM

Jun 2012
ichii_1 said:
They better not take out buu killing people and all the violence and do vegito justice.

The first minute of the first episode has Frieza committing genocide and we see Cell blow up islands to lure out 18

I'm pretty sure we'll see the Buu saga at it's best.
Feb 28, 2014 1:43 PM
Sep 2007
What are you guys talking about voices being different?

Aside from few seiyuu who were replaced because they passed away, all other original seiyuu stayed the same since 80s / 90s.

There is possibility that Shino Kakinuma (wife of Toshio Furukawa, Naru Osaka in Sailor Moon) will replace Yuko Minaguchi as Videl, because Yuko isn't so much in seiyuu business anymore, and Shino was already Videl in Toriko x DBZ x One Piece special.
Feb 28, 2014 2:41 PM

Feb 2012
So will this be replacing Toriko like its been rumored?
Feb 28, 2014 2:52 PM

Jun 2012
Psajdak said:
What are you guys talking about voices being different?

Aside from few seiyuu who were replaced because they passed away, all other original seiyuu stayed the same since 80s / 90s.

There is possibility that Shino Kakinuma (wife of Toshio Furukawa, Naru Osaka in Sailor Moon) will replace Yuko Minaguchi as Videl, because Yuko isn't so much in seiyuu business anymore, and Shino was already Videl in Toriko x DBZ x One Piece special.

Pretty sure most people here are talking about the English voices
Feb 28, 2014 11:08 PM
Feb 2012
Psajdak said:

Yuko will be reprising Videl in Kai, just like she did with Battle of Gods. Heck, she and Mayumi Tanaka are the ones that told (or teased, little fuzzy on the details) us about Kai in the first place.
Mar 1, 2014 3:42 AM

Nov 2012
Valaskjalf said:
Nice

DBZ is not DBZ without Buu saga

Not really. Toriyama was planning to finish the manga after the Cell saga. what's the point of Goku's sacrifice ? it would've been a great ending to the series if Majin Buu didn't happen, yeah MB saga ruined a great ending to the series.

but i still admire this saga cuz of the "Majin Vegeta arc" his character development was really good!
it's one of my favorite parts in the whole DB franchise, it went downhill afterwards.
Drastic-MeasureMar 1, 2014 3:49 AM
Mar 1, 2014 11:29 PM
Feb 2012
Don1Joker said:
Toriyama was planning to finish the manga after the Cell saga.

That is simply not true. Toriyama has never said such a thing.
Mar 2, 2014 11:54 AM

Feb 2010
I mean, he wanted to finish Dragon Ball after the Emperor Pilaf Saga. He kept changing his mind. So no one can really say when it's "supposed" to end. :T
Mar 6, 2014 4:38 AM

Oct 2013
I only liked the original. couldnt stand Kai. gt sucked ass. movie was ayt. givevus a proper remake!! and use the soundtrack from eng dub version! best soundtrack!!! or new soundtrack with a similar feel. n no bloody cgi!!
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Mar 7, 2014 7:30 PM

Dec 2009
I enjoyed Kai so I'm happy that the Majin Buu Saga is going to be covered.

Mar 7, 2014 8:18 PM
Dec 2013
This should be interesting.
Mar 8, 2014 9:33 AM
Feb 2012
Daisetsu1 said:
Yuko will be reprising Videl in Kai, just like she did with Battle of Gods. Heck, she and Mayumi Tanaka are the ones that told (or teased, little fuzzy on the details) us about Kai in the first place.

Alright, so it appears I was wrong about Yuko Minaguchi. And Babidi's been recast, as well.
Mar 10, 2014 12:22 PM
Sep 2007
It seems it was as I predicted.
Mar 10, 2014 6:45 PM

Apr 2011
Don1Joker said:
Valaskjalf said:
Nice

DBZ is not DBZ without Buu saga

Not really. Toriyama was planning to finish the manga after the Cell saga. what's the point of Goku's sacrifice ? it would've been a great ending to the series if Majin Buu didn't happen, yeah MB saga ruined a great ending to the series.

but i still admire this saga cuz of the "Majin Vegeta arc" his character development was really good!
it's one of my favorite parts in the whole DB franchise, it went downhill afterwards.

The fusion thing was hilarious and Satan was actually useful in this saga.
Mar 10, 2014 8:19 PM

Dec 2012
Hiyonin said:
I mean, he wanted to finish Dragon Ball after the Emperor Pilaf Saga. He kept changing his mind. So no one can really say when it's "supposed" to end. :T
This.
Mar 10, 2014 10:14 PM

May 2012
Will watch and eventually buy on blu-ray when it's dubbed. As much as I loved DBZ as a kid, last time I tried to watch it from start to finish, I stopped somewhere during the frieza saga. So much stalling. The one thing I really missed in Kai was Faulconer's soundtrack.
Mar 10, 2014 10:57 PM

Aug 2013
gettogaara said:
Will watch and eventually buy on blu-ray when it's dubbed. As much as I loved DBZ as a kid, last time I tried to watch it from start to finish, I stopped somewhere during the frieza saga. So much stalling. The one thing I really missed in Kai was Faulconer's soundtrack.

And I find Faulconer's soundtrack to be the worst thing combined with the filler and shit voice acting/lines... weird.
Mar 12, 2014 2:56 PM

Feb 2014
haha looking forward to majin buu saga, now only if they can also bring back bleach
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2014 3:53 PM

Jul 2013
Will wait for dub. I still liked Z better but ill watch the last part of Kai
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» New '5-toubun no Hanayome' Anime in Production

Vindstot - Apr 28

40 by MegamiRem »»
4 hours ago

» 'Mononoke: Karakasa' Reveals Supporting Cast, Theme Song, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by deg »»
8 hours ago

» 'Boku no Tsuma wa Kanjou ga Nai' Announces Additional Cast, Staff

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

0 by DatRandomDude »»
Yesterday, 8:59 PM

» 'Fumetsu no Anata e' Gets Third Anime Season

Vindstot - Mar 12, 2023

20 by Klazzama »»
Yesterday, 4:38 PM

» 'Kakuriyo no Yadomeshi' Gets Second Season in Fall 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 30

15 by malvarez1 »»
Yesterday, 12:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.